Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting insight from former player 18:03 - Jun 28 with 1461 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I was in conversation today with a former player. He introduced an opinion that one seldom hears through mainstream media or club websites.

He said ( and this was in relation to Colchester United ) that in his opinion the club had often failed to get value for money for players they had invested in. This refers in particular to the past decade or so.

We both agreed that far too many loan players have been bought in by the club during this time and only a minority have made any real impact.

When l speak to former or current players privately l am pleasantly surprised by their views and ideas which are not often expressed via club websites or through the press and TV.

Interesting insight from former player on 18:42 - Jun 28 with 1443 viewsburnsieespana

Bottom line is our Academy players will only progress and be o.e a real asset by playing.
However, I understand the pressure club has been under last few years to avoid relagation.
By bringing in the young centre back, in my opinion means we will likely as not develop Terry, for example.
In event times we have two players ( James and Kensale)I thought useful yet somehow we ended up
letting them go.
Interesting insight from former player on 11:09 - Jun 29 with 1373 viewsbwildered

Would be interesting to know how much the former academy players have raised for the club in transfer fees over the decade. Has many have moved for undisclosed fees with bolt ons it is very hard to value.
Regards the loanees, the clubs media department especially over the last few years seem to label these young players has first team veterans, although many have very little or no league experience and are really only squad members on joining.
Having said previously, do think the club have a excellent record of releasing many players who did not go to have had long league careers elsewhere. Those who got away ( ? ) Taylor and Lapado readily come to mind .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Interesting insight from former player on 12:58 - Jun 29 with 1354 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I was treated to four hours of insight into managing Colchester United at the home of Mr Dick Graham during the autumn of 2007.

I was transfixed by the man's ideas, vision and self belief.

Some members of this forum will be aware of the young players who Dick gave first team debuts to within just a matter of a few weeks in the 1971 / 72 season.

This scenario would be beyond belief in the modern era.

John McLaughlin 66 career appearances for the club ( 202 for Swindon Town and 172 for Portsmouth ).

Barry Smith 49 for Colchester United.

Steve Leslie 434 for the U's.

Steve Foley 283.

Lindsay Smith 211 games for Colchester United.

Micky Cook, a quite incredible 614 games for the U's!

This was value for money!

No requirement for loan players back then.
Interesting insight from former player on 10:34 - Jun 30 with 1303 viewsRSCOSWORTH

It's impossible for us fans to quantify whether the club has got value for money for the players they had invested in if this is referring to the academy but if it's referring to players we've paid money for then I think there's been quite a number that haven't performed as expected/hoped for us. We've sold quite a few players over the last 10 years or so but transfer fees and any add-ons are generally undisclosed., the majority of these players have come through the academy though. Also those players have played hundreds of matches for us which has shown it's value in that respect.

With regards to loan players arguably the greatest achievement in the club's history was largely down to loan players and for a time we had a very good record of bringing in loan signings that were successful for us and often signed permanently. In recent seasons in particular our loan signings have rarely been seen as a success. I've always said, that apart from cover for injured players like Smith last season for instance, loan signings should improve your playing eleven. If they're no better than what we've already got then I don't see the point of them being here.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Interesting insight from former player on 10:44 - Jun 30 with 1302 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Interesting insight from former player on 11:09 - Jun 29 by bwildered

Would be interesting to know how much the former academy players have raised for the club in transfer fees over the decade. Has many have moved for undisclosed fees with bolt ons it is very hard to value.
Regards the loanees, the clubs media department especially over the last few years seem to label these young players has first team veterans, although many have very little or no league experience and are really only squad members on joining.
Having said previously, do think the club have a excellent record of releasing many players who did not go to have had long league careers elsewhere. Those who got away ( ? ) Taylor and Lapado readily come to mind .

I agree, it's pretty rare for us to release someone who actually goes on to do well elsewhere (Bonne wasn't released before anyone says anything). I don't think anyone saw anything in Ladapo and I don't know who Taylor is. Lawrie Wilson was one for me where we didn't even give him a single first team appearance and he went on to make over 300 elsewhere at mainly Stevenage, Charlton and Bolton.

Interesting insight from former player on 11:24 - Jun 30 with 1291 viewswessex_exile

Interesting insight from former player on 10:44 - Jun 30 by RSCOSWORTH

I agree, it's pretty rare for us to release someone who actually goes on to do well elsewhere (Bonne wasn't released before anyone says anything). I don't think anyone saw anything in Ladapo and I don't know who Taylor is. Lawrie Wilson was one for me where we didn't even give him a single first team appearance and he went on to make over 300 elsewhere at mainly Stevenage, Charlton and Bolton.

Possible a reference to John Taylor? We had him as a trainee early 80s, but let him go. He spend several years in non-league before Cambridge United picked him up, and he went on to be a prolific goal-scorer at a number of clubs. We even ended up taking him back on loan 14 years after we'd let him go. I agree though, these accounts are pretty rare.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Interesting insight from former player on 12:00 - Jun 30 with 1279 viewsbwildered

Every league club must stories of several players released but had careers elsewhere, it’s par for the course.
Laurie Wilson was not a product of our academy but came from Charlton, RSC .
John Taylor was considered physically lightweight for the first team ( got knocked about has apprentice in the Town and Country league back in the day) and released but played for a successful Sudbury Town side thereafter, which did well in the FA Vase, has a centre forward. Signed by John Beck at Cambridge and formed a successful partnership with Dion Dublin and did later play for the U’s has a Wiggy loanee .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Interesting insight from former player on 12:33 - Jun 30 with 1276 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Interesting insight from former player on 12:00 - Jun 30 by bwildered

Every league club must stories of several players released but had careers elsewhere, it’s par for the course.
Laurie Wilson was not a product of our academy but came from Charlton, RSC .
John Taylor was considered physically lightweight for the first team ( got knocked about has apprentice in the Town and Country league back in the day) and released but played for a successful Sudbury Town side thereafter, which did well in the FA Vase, has a centre forward. Signed by John Beck at Cambridge and formed a successful partnership with Dion Dublin and did later play for the U’s has a Wiggy loanee .

Of course, but they've been few and far between at Col U in the last 20 or 30 years. I wasn't implying that he came through our academy, just a player that we released that went on to have a very good career. I know the John Taylor you mean, I remember his successful loan spell but didn't realise we had him as a youngster. I was very young myself when we released him though.

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting insight from former player on 21:02 - Jul 4 with 1165 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Met up today with an accountant who joined up the dots for me on the possible new ownership of Southend United. This is developing into quite a saga. Some very interesting individuals here who have links to both Colchester United and Southend United ( in a roundabout way! ).
Interesting insight from former player on 10:05 - Jul 7 with 1068 viewsSparkfilmsTV

A reminder to anyone visiting Maldon & Tiptree tomorrow that the kick off time has been bought forward by 2 hours to 1pm.

I am posting this as a friend just told me he was setting off from Riverside Estate at 1.45pm!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024