Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park 22:16 - Nov 17 with 2320 viewsdurham_exile

Matty Etherington (ME) has been appointed as the permanent Colchester United head coach. Hardly a surprise given our upturn in form and we can now unite behind ME as he attempts to continue our climb up the league Two table.

This weekend we face our most difficult test of the season so far with a visit to Edgeley Park home of Stockport County. I have been to Edgeley Park several times and in truth we don’t normally have a bad record there. Last season I was there when we lost 1-0 and frankly didn’t play particularly well but this is a different game and arguably a different team.

We lined up: Hornby, Tchamadeu, Clampin, Chambers, Eastman, Chilvers, Marshall-Miranda, Hannant, Kazeem, Sears, Nouble (Samson Tovide came on after 90 minutes). So only two players from last season are likely to play tomorrow, such is the overhaul of management and playing staff that we have endured over the past 12 months.

Now forget about all the records and league positions, this is all about how we approach the 90+ minutes and whether we are prepared to go toe to toe with the Hatters led by Dave Challinor.

Now Connor Hall is the latest injury victim and will be out for at least 4 weeks.

Joe Taylor is on duty for Wales and Owen Goodman is only on standby for England (at Doncaster) so is likely to play between the sticks.

Now regardless of form and league positions ME wants to stay strong and play two up top and four at the back.

Something like this:

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Kelleher Dallison

Fevrier McGeehan Read

Chilvers

Tovide Ihionvien

Subs:
Smith Mingi Cooper Terry Greenidge Hopper Jay

The key is to start strong be prepared for periods where the Hatters are in the ascendancy, but strike when opportunities arise and make good use of the substitutes.

Chay Cooper fresh from his Sky Bet Goal of the Month award for October may get the chance for a similar strike in the second half at Edgeley Park.

We are of course missing Iandolo, Hall, Bandeira, Lawrence, Akinde and Kazeem.

Taylor on International duty is also a big miss.

Stockport weather at kick off will be a mild 14 degrees Celsius and cloudy but tonight and tomorrow morning Greater Manchester will see some heavy rain.

Don’t forget Exiles the game is on iFollow because of the International break. I will be travelling South for the game, my fourth game in the last three and a half weeks.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Oh, the prediction, I almost forgot. An absolute classic and 3-2 to the Super U’s. Bradley Ihionvien, Samson Tovide and a returning goal from Kells to upset the Edgeley Park crowd and warm up the U’s nicely for Barrow and Doncaster.

Stockport will have to match the Accrington team (the best side I have seen against the U’s this season) and I just can’t see that happening.

One final note. Stockport have started a new bag policy. Essentially you are not allowed one in the ground and if you do it can't be bigger than A4 size. Security concerns I understand.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Go team Matty!

Durham_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 05:02 - Nov 18 with 2266 viewsnoah4x4

Just woke up and killing time before heading to catch a (full) CUSA bus to Edgeley Park. It’s a (rare) new ground for me. I have repeatedly missed this trip due to clashes with cricket duties, similarly Hartlepool, the only other one missing in my 92 from the bottom three divisions (but I rarely get to a Premier ground, still nine to do there).

I have a good feeling about today. Goodman is available, which explains why Hornby can go out on loan and Smith featured last night for the U21s in an impressive 4-0 win. Kells back, we have missed him in both boxes. Taylor out, but he hasn’t had the service he deserves in recent weeks and Samson and Bradley will be an interesting combination in a 4-4-2 (please, not Hopper). Stockport’s unbeaten record breaking run has to end sometime and like England last night, it is time we enjoyed a fluky own goal, the good fortune and for any refereeing errors to go our way (albeit the referee versus Malta was diabolical, and missed two nailed on penalties).

Expect to see both Weessex and Durham in the stadium. I wonder have they ever met as (arguably) our most Northern and Southern U’sual Exiles (excluding, of course, those residing in warmer Spanish or Portuguese climates). Despite the match being on I-Follow, I expect 200+ travelling U’s fans making all the noise.
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 07:36 - Nov 18 with 2231 viewswessex_exile

Thanks for the heads-up on Edgeley Park bag policy Durham, I’d have been caught out by that otherwise. I’m heading off in an hour or so, and like Noah this is a new ground for me.

Up the Matty Etherington U’s!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 08:58 - Nov 18 with 2199 viewsburnsieespana

Enjoy the afternoon guys.
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 09:52 - Nov 18 with 2180 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 07:36 - Nov 18 by wessex_exile

Thanks for the heads-up on Edgeley Park bag policy Durham, I’d have been caught out by that otherwise. I’m heading off in an hour or so, and like Noah this is a new ground for me.

Up the Matty Etherington U’s!

Safe journey Wessex

Yes a new policy from Stockport this season.

My Col U rucksack will be left at home today.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 13:50 - Nov 18 with 2126 viewsnoah4x4

WARNING!

Zero Real Ale in ground.
Not even Guinness!
Soapy Spanish Lager.
Chemically enhanced Dutch lager
Fruit Ciders (no Apple).
No covered bar area for away fans
Diabolical!
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 14:49 - Nov 18 with 2101 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 13:50 - Nov 18 by noah4x4

WARNING!

Zero Real Ale in ground.
Not even Guinness!
Soapy Spanish Lager.
Chemically enhanced Dutch lager
Fruit Ciders (no Apple).
No covered bar area for away fans
Diabolical!

But Noah we will leave with the three points.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 15:53 - Nov 18 with 2071 viewsdurham_exile

Better team losing at half time.

Once we quickly realised that they had limited options is predominantly long ball we started to push forward and unluckily hit the bar.

We then had a purple patch of possession.

Very unlucky to concede just before half time

Bradley must come on to support Samson up top.

This match is far from over.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 15:58 - Nov 18 with 2062 viewsnoah4x4

Now run out of pies, hot dogs, burgers etc.

Worst facilities ever!
Login to get fewer ads

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 16:20 - Nov 18 with 2036 viewsthrillseeker

263 away fans
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 17:16 - Nov 18 with 1963 viewsnoah4x4

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 15:58 - Nov 18 by noah4x4

Now run out of pies, hot dogs, burgers etc.

Worst facilities ever!

Then, as if to rub it in, as we leave they are giving away FREE pies surplus from the adjacent home facility. Very nice pies too, but the overall experience was unwelcoming. Away fans view obstructed by pillars and seats uncomfortable.

The game…

We had more skill, but yet again, were bullied by a stronger, faster team. But no lack of effort and Stockport going 13 consecutive wins says all. We will play worse and win.
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 19:12 - Nov 18 with 1838 viewswessex_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 17:16 - Nov 18 by noah4x4

Then, as if to rub it in, as we leave they are giving away FREE pies surplus from the adjacent home facility. Very nice pies too, but the overall experience was unwelcoming. Away fans view obstructed by pillars and seats uncomfortable.

The game…

We had more skill, but yet again, were bullied by a stronger, faster team. But no lack of effort and Stockport going 13 consecutive wins says all. We will play worse and win.

Just to add, followed the signs for away fans I was told I had to go get a ticket first. Fair enough, but directed by the SCFC steward on the longest possible route clockwise around the stadium and surrounding housing estate back to the ticket office - a 10–15 minute walk when the alternative counter clockwise option would have been 2 minutes. Finally got back 5 minutes after kick off to witness the c’nt still sending late arrivals on the long march. I challenged him on it, but he didn’t give a f’ck. Good to see you Noah, and sorry I missed you Durham (wherever you might have been?). Spent the match in the company of Hereford Bob, who I haven’t seen since Cardiff.

As for the game - top of the league, you’re having a laugh aren’t you. 2 minutes of lack of concentration either side of half-time was the only difference, and their keeper getting MoM speaks volumes. No disgrace against a scummy club who will sadly probably go on to get promoted.

And what was the pitiful ‘concert’ mobile phone lights about?

Up the U's

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 20:57 - Nov 18 with 1763 viewsnoah4x4

Take a look at this BBC picture of their first goal…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67388323

Will somebody convince me this wasn’t a foul, shirt pulling, handball, probably both?
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 22:00 - Nov 18 with 1720 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 19:12 - Nov 18 by wessex_exile

Just to add, followed the signs for away fans I was told I had to go get a ticket first. Fair enough, but directed by the SCFC steward on the longest possible route clockwise around the stadium and surrounding housing estate back to the ticket office - a 10–15 minute walk when the alternative counter clockwise option would have been 2 minutes. Finally got back 5 minutes after kick off to witness the c’nt still sending late arrivals on the long march. I challenged him on it, but he didn’t give a f’ck. Good to see you Noah, and sorry I missed you Durham (wherever you might have been?). Spent the match in the company of Hereford Bob, who I haven’t seen since Cardiff.

As for the game - top of the league, you’re having a laugh aren’t you. 2 minutes of lack of concentration either side of half-time was the only difference, and their keeper getting MoM speaks volumes. No disgrace against a scummy club who will sadly probably go on to get promoted.

Wessex
Pleased you made the game and I totally agree, we should have got something from the game.

This season is a new experience for the Away fans and frankly it is a disgrace.

The open end has traditionally been for away fans but now home supporters occupy it (what a disgrace that so called Stockport fan was surrounded by those 8 year old tearaways) we are subjected to a walk which ensures 10,000 steps a day!

I park at the Morrisons which is about a mile away but it avoids the crush and the Stockport mob.

Hope you got home safely.

Oh and I sat right in the front otherwise the support gives a restricted view!!!!!

I saw Noah but obviously missed you.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 12:28 - Nov 19 with 1563 viewsStockportHatterSouth

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 22:00 - Nov 18 by durham_exile

Wessex
Pleased you made the game and I totally agree, we should have got something from the game.

This season is a new experience for the Away fans and frankly it is a disgrace.

The open end has traditionally been for away fans but now home supporters occupy it (what a disgrace that so called Stockport fan was surrounded by those 8 year old tearaways) we are subjected to a walk which ensures 10,000 steps a day!

I park at the Morrisons which is about a mile away but it avoids the crush and the Stockport mob.

Hope you got home safely.

Oh and I sat right in the front otherwise the support gives a restricted view!!!!!

I saw Noah but obviously missed you.

Up the U's

Stockport County fan here in peace. There's a couple of misconceptions here that need to be cleared up.

For starters the away end at Edgeley Park has been the two blocks of the Together Stand you were in for two decades. The Railway End was overspill with the occasional exception. Entering round the back of the stand is new (and also really old, there was an entrance that way many many years ago) but is a vast improvement of what we did last time we were a league club where away fans entered through the same set of turnstiles at the other end of that stand as the home fans. Resulting in away fans walking through and in front of the home section (something I sort of did once at Layer Road to get to the seated away section).

As for going round the stadium there isn't a quick route. There's either the route you came in (which I'm guessing is the one you were told to take) or an even longer route through an older set of houses and around the reservoir. The "2 minute" route doesn't exist unless you fancy battling through Japanese Knotweed and swimming through the reservoir. Some of our stewards aren't the brightest bulbs but in that instance there isn't a choice. I'd like to see us put some kind of ticket booth in round there for away fans as sending away fans to the Cheadle End is shit but it's not happened yet.

Catering only got brought back in house at the start of last season and they're still struggling to get quantities right. I'm surprised there was surplus to give away as the home section usually runs out as well. I don't get what was meant by uncomfortable seats. They're standard tipping stadium plastic seats, do you all get padded ones at your new ground? The pillars are a pain (I sit in the same stand) but we haven't had a pot to piss in for the last two decades until recently, and there's little point in our new ownership sticking a new roof on when the plan is to knock the whole stand down and start again.

No idea what the mobile phone lights thing was, kids being weird I guess.

Trust me, you don't want to go in the Railway End if you think the Together Stand was bad.
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 12:30 - Nov 19 with 1560 viewsStockportHatterSouth

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 12:28 - Nov 19 by StockportHatterSouth

Stockport County fan here in peace. There's a couple of misconceptions here that need to be cleared up.

For starters the away end at Edgeley Park has been the two blocks of the Together Stand you were in for two decades. The Railway End was overspill with the occasional exception. Entering round the back of the stand is new (and also really old, there was an entrance that way many many years ago) but is a vast improvement of what we did last time we were a league club where away fans entered through the same set of turnstiles at the other end of that stand as the home fans. Resulting in away fans walking through and in front of the home section (something I sort of did once at Layer Road to get to the seated away section).

As for going round the stadium there isn't a quick route. There's either the route you came in (which I'm guessing is the one you were told to take) or an even longer route through an older set of houses and around the reservoir. The "2 minute" route doesn't exist unless you fancy battling through Japanese Knotweed and swimming through the reservoir. Some of our stewards aren't the brightest bulbs but in that instance there isn't a choice. I'd like to see us put some kind of ticket booth in round there for away fans as sending away fans to the Cheadle End is shit but it's not happened yet.

Catering only got brought back in house at the start of last season and they're still struggling to get quantities right. I'm surprised there was surplus to give away as the home section usually runs out as well. I don't get what was meant by uncomfortable seats. They're standard tipping stadium plastic seats, do you all get padded ones at your new ground? The pillars are a pain (I sit in the same stand) but we haven't had a pot to piss in for the last two decades until recently, and there's little point in our new ownership sticking a new roof on when the plan is to knock the whole stand down and start again.

No idea what the mobile phone lights thing was, kids being weird I guess.

Trust me, you don't want to go in the Railway End if you think the Together Stand was bad.

Oh and I've seen another picture of our first goal from before the BBC one was taken, both your defender and Wootton has as much of each others shirt as the other.
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 14:17 - Nov 19 with 1514 viewswessex_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 12:30 - Nov 19 by StockportHatterSouth

Oh and I've seen another picture of our first goal from before the BBC one was taken, both your defender and Wootton has as much of each others shirt as the other.

Thanks for stopping by chap. I came down the footpath from Mercian Road following the signs, and was sent on the long walk along Moscow Road and around the reservoir by your steward. After collecting our tickets, the steward on the coach park gate let me and two others nip through there as a short cut, given the match had already kicked off at that point. So yeah, I’d say 2, maybe 3 minutes tops to get back to the away end steps.

Up the U's

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 22:32 - Nov 19 with 1385 viewsStockportHatterSouth

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 14:17 - Nov 19 by wessex_exile

Thanks for stopping by chap. I came down the footpath from Mercian Road following the signs, and was sent on the long walk along Moscow Road and around the reservoir by your steward. After collecting our tickets, the steward on the coach park gate let me and two others nip through there as a short cut, given the match had already kicked off at that point. So yeah, I’d say 2, maybe 3 minutes tops to get back to the away end steps.

Oh ok, that is weird if the steward sent you along Moscow Road, don't understand why they'd have done that. Unless the police make them do so in order to avoid Booth Street and Hardcastle Road which is the way they should have sent you. A short cut through a gate isn't really a route that's available so I can see why you wouldn't have been told to go that way, probably only shaves a few minutes off going the Booth Street way.

I can only assume it's police advice to send you down to Moscow Road, that's madness otherwise. GMP are particularly jumpy at the moment. All the more reason we should have a ticket booth at the away turnstiles. I'll pass it on to people at our supporters co-op to pass on to the club.
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 09:05 - Nov 20 with 1318 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Sounds like a ground our fans won't be rushing to visit again. There's a good chance we won't be in the same division next season.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 09:44 - Nov 20 with 1301 viewsburnsieespana

As near to a racing certainty as you can get!
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 10:37 - Nov 20 with 1294 viewsDaniel

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 19:12 - Nov 18 by wessex_exile

The same mobile phone light thing happened in the east stand at the Sutton game the week before. No idea why.
Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 21:54 - Nov 20 with 1199 viewswessex_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 22:32 - Nov 19 by StockportHatterSouth

Oh ok, that is weird if the steward sent you along Moscow Road, don't understand why they'd have done that. Unless the police make them do so in order to avoid Booth Street and Hardcastle Road which is the way they should have sent you. A short cut through a gate isn't really a route that's available so I can see why you wouldn't have been told to go that way, probably only shaves a few minutes off going the Booth Street way.

I can only assume it's police advice to send you down to Moscow Road, that's madness otherwise. GMP are particularly jumpy at the moment. All the more reason we should have a ticket booth at the away turnstiles. I'll pass it on to people at our supporters co-op to pass on to the club.

Thanks for that - please do report back if there's any response, I'd be pleased to hear it. As has already been said, the chances of us playing you next season are pretty remote, but regardless it would be good to hear that the visitor's experience at Edgeley Park has been improved in some small way.

Up the U's

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 00:08 - Nov 21 with 1180 viewsdurham_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 21:54 - Nov 20 by wessex_exile

Thanks for that - please do report back if there's any response, I'd be pleased to hear it. As has already been said, the chances of us playing you next season are pretty remote, but regardless it would be good to hear that the visitor's experience at Edgeley Park has been improved in some small way.

I have been to Stockport several times over the years and Saturdays was the worst experience for the reasons already stated .

Don't worry we will see them next season.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hatters go mad as Super U's win thriller at Edgeley Park on 11:29 - Nov 22 with 1071 viewsCrashBandicoot

Instructions from overzealous police sounds plausible for the strange arrangement tbf - they don't need much reason these days to enforce new requirements.

I think the chances of us playing County again next season are slim with the way they are playing - they look solid bets for promotion, unless of course we have a massive turnaround in form and get a run of results like we did in 97-98 and 05-06.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024