Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's 20:33 - Jan 12 with 3952 viewsdurham_exile

It is an absolute pleasure to write this pre-match statement, more so this week with Danny and Nicky Cowley at the helm for the Super U’s. DC and NC simply ooze confidence and it was evident from the reaction from the faithful last week at the County Ground.

“Danny Cowley’s Blue and White Army” they sang whilst Cowley ran along the touchline celebrating the 94th minute equaliser. The Cowleys have charisma for sure. How refreshing it was to see a Colchester player score a late, late goal. Just to clarify (thanks to Wessex for hunting out the Swindon video which confirmed that Bradley Ihionvien got the last vital touch after Conor Wilkinson’s clever backheel). And Matt Jay deservedly scored the opener just before half time.

Football managers come in various guises. Years ago, the great Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley epitomised greatness in a manager. They were animated on the touchline and involved, committed and totally absorbed by the football. More importantly they looked like winners.
DC and NC are similar in approach and commitment. They not only look like winners but also they are winners.

At last, the right appointments have been made for our club. definitely the best decision since Phil Parkinson was brought in. Their (DC & NC) task is not only to secure Football League survival but also to start to build for the future.

With 24 points from 27 games the Cowleys have 19 games to secure the 48 points needed for survival (just 24 more) but 50 more would give us a shot at the Play Offs. Impossible you say, but not if the Cowleys start to instil that confidence, belief and passion into the players.

Certainly, the profile of our club has been well and truly lifted. Danny Cowley is a regular contributor to Sky Sports. The National press have run articles and none of that would have happened prior to last week.

I’m not a betting man but the U’s odds of promotion were slashed from 1000-1 to 400-1 after their appointment. I must confess that I did put a cheeky tenner on promotion at the start of the season at may be 25-1. But what do I know?

Admittedly it is some years ago but we went 17 games unbeaten (yes really) and a similar Houdini performance would suggest the impossible could become reality.

Ok realistically we are looking at mid-table safety for the U’s with perhaps 62 points but break the remaining games after Saturday into three blocks of six and lets see where it takes us.

All the potential relegation candidates have just changed their managers David Artell at Grimsby, Karl Robinson at Salford, Troy Deeney at FGR and Steve Morison at Sutton.

Of course, what the Cowleys are providing is optimism which has been in short supply for years now. None of this means anything however if we cannot see off the Bantams on Saturday.

They are no mugs; Graham Alexander knows all about lower league football. Although he does have injuries, they are 10 points better off than the U’s and have just recruited Sam Walker the 8ft 6ins goalkeeper who played 213 games for Colchester, but he hasn’t played for us in years. They also defeated Derby County on Tuesday night in the Quarter final of the FL Trophy so their confidence will be high.

Our recent record at Valley Parade has been 1 win, 1 draw and 2 defeats. I’ve watched them all and the narrow defeats 2-0 and 2-1 have been hard to take. The 2-0 when we conceded two goals in added time. I met and talked to a Bantam supporter outside the ground who stated that we had been unlucky to lose and we had, but he then said well you did score a 97th minute winner at the JCS and that was hard to take for us too. Fine margins I suppose. Of course, our winner that day was scored by none other than Tom Eastman.

Last week DC made two changes to the team that lost to Gillingham. This week he has had a full week to assess his charges. They have also acted quickly to strengthen the defence with the arrival of right back Jayden Richardson on loan from Aberdeen.

I think that DC will line up as follows:

Goodman

Richardson Mitchell Hall Iandolo

Fevrier Read Miranda

Jay

Wilkinson Chilvers

Subs
Hornby Kazeem Edwards Ihionvien Hopper McGeehan Akinde

Notwithstanding the fact that we still have key injuries to contend with; Egbo, Tovide, Kells and Lawrence, I would like to see Wilkinson and Ihionvien up front and Edwards involved but DC will be aware that McGeehan is coming back from suspension and he has almost an embarrassment of midfield riches to draw from. I do think that both Greenidge and Dallison will miss out though.

DC’s use of substitutes was key last week and as Noah dryly observed we finished up with a 2,3,5 formation which he hadn’t seen since the 60’s. The last time I remember that formation it was probably on my Subbuteo pitch.

Although I do remember Chelsea from 1971 when they lined up against Forest and won 2-1 and I was there at the Bridge.
Bonetti
Webb Harris
Hollins Wilkins Hinton
Cooke Hudson Osgood Hutchinson Houseman

Those were the days!

Colchester weather will be 5 degrees Celsius and mostly sunny.

Scoreline; here we go, a thoroughly entertaining and exciting game with Colchester to score 4 in a 4-2 win against the Bantams. Wilkinson, Ihionvien (from the bench) Read and Fevrier.

Perhaps a larger crowd tomorrow pushing 5,000 with (600 from Bradford) and bring your blue and white scarf because they want a sea of colour at the JCS. I have already ordered my tickets for the forthcoming Salford, Morecambe and Harrogate Away games in anticipation of something special.

Enjoy the game and at 4:50pm perhaps the faithful will be singing;
“Danny Cowleys blue and white Army, we’re so good it’s unbelievable.”

Up the U’s

[Post edited 12 Jan 22:37]

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 21:31 - Jan 12 with 3140 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Promotion is virtually mathematically impossible. You normally need 72 points to make the Play Offs, we've got 24 with only 57 left to play for. Not sure we've ever got 48 points from 19 games in our history, in fact the vast majority of clubs probably haven't. I would take 48 points total for the season right now if it was offered.

The Cowley's have got their work cut out for sure. No team has lost more games or conceded more goals than the U's. We need to start grinding out results and fast. As I've already said the next eight matches are crucial to our survival in this division.

Also Sam Walker's last game for Col U was 21st April 2018, so not even six years ago. McGreal benched him for the last two games so he never really got a proper chance to say goodbye to the fans. I'm sure he'll get a warm reception before and after the game tomorrow but hopefully he goes away pointless on his Bradford debut.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 10:20 - Jan 13 with 3030 viewsdurham_exile

Most impressed, tickets ordered yesterday, on the doormat this morning.

Next week's weather will cast doubt on Fridays game but hopefully it will go ahead.

Plenty of bright sunshine this morning.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 10:27 - Jan 13 with 3025 viewsMoor_Pinot

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 10:20 - Jan 13 by durham_exile

Most impressed, tickets ordered yesterday, on the doormat this morning.

Next week's weather will cast doubt on Fridays game but hopefully it will go ahead.

Plenty of bright sunshine this morning.
Up the U's

Fabulous résumé as ever Durham. Must have taken ages of thought. Who could ever modify or pick holes in that!? Thank you for so stirring a start to Saturday!

Whilst I can't imagine us winning today with the weight of expectations upon everyone, I am delighted we've now a management team who in a matter of hours seem to have galvanized our support base. A support base we'll need if the new chaps are to get us away from the bottom two. Wonderful to have the fans now likely to be behind the team rather than the opposite, which, given the last few years is a frustration I fully get.

Once again terrific rallying cry Durham, thank you from the grey old Moor!

Up OUR U's (at last)!

Moor Pinot

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 10:47 - Jan 13 with 3014 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 10:27 - Jan 13 by Moor_Pinot

Fabulous résumé as ever Durham. Must have taken ages of thought. Who could ever modify or pick holes in that!? Thank you for so stirring a start to Saturday!

Whilst I can't imagine us winning today with the weight of expectations upon everyone, I am delighted we've now a management team who in a matter of hours seem to have galvanized our support base. A support base we'll need if the new chaps are to get us away from the bottom two. Wonderful to have the fans now likely to be behind the team rather than the opposite, which, given the last few years is a frustration I fully get.

Once again terrific rallying cry Durham, thank you from the grey old Moor!

Up OUR U's (at last)!

Good to hear from you Pinot.
You are absolutely right concerning the additional support.

In fairness the Away support are usually vociferous in their support but more recently this season there have been ugly scenes at the end of games.

The immediacy (if that is indeed a word) of the transformation brought about by the Cowleys is remarkable.
Our club has come together through support for DC and NC.

Expectation is the word today. The Bantams will be looking to spoil the party especially after they tried to secure the Cowleys services at Valley Parade.

It should be a classic.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 11:44 - Jan 13 with 2986 viewsBLACKCAT

Ha'way The U's !!!
Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 13:39 - Jan 13 with 2951 viewsCrashBandicoot

The ground is looking like its selling tickets like hot cakes

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 14:05 - Jan 13 with 2933 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI

Goodman

Richardson Mitchell Hall Dallison

Fevrier McGeehan Read

Jay

Chilvers Hopper

Subs
Hornby Greenidge Wilkinson Edwards Akinde Miranda Ihionvien

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 14:23 - Jan 13 with 2916 viewsMoor_Pinot

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 14:05 - Jan 13 by durham_exile

Starting XI

Goodman

Richardson Mitchell Hall Dallison

Fevrier McGeehan Read

Jay

Chilvers Hopper

Subs
Hornby Greenidge Wilkinson Edwards Akinde Miranda Ihionvien

Interesting selection again.
Greenidge very fortunate, Cooper rather unlucky.

Up the REAL U's

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 14:24 - Jan 13 with 2913 viewswessex_exile

Fantastic write-up as ever Durham - got my scarf at the ready in chilly Wiltshire. S1 approaching a sell-out, so we might just top 5,000 for the first time this season.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 14:36 - Jan 13 with 2905 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 14:24 - Jan 13 by wessex_exile

Fantastic write-up as ever Durham - got my scarf at the ready in chilly Wiltshire. S1 approaching a sell-out, so we might just top 5,000 for the first time this season.

Wessex - I reckon I should have travelled to Colchester this weekend but I have tickets for the next three aways.

Scarves definitely at the ready.

A big crowd will make all the difference today without doubt.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 15:16 - Jan 13 with 2882 viewswessex_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 14:36 - Jan 13 by durham_exile

Wessex - I reckon I should have travelled to Colchester this weekend but I have tickets for the next three aways.

Scarves definitely at the ready.

A big crowd will make all the difference today without doubt.

Up the U's

It was in my mind too Durham, particularly as there are no engineering works this weekend between London and Colchester. Wouldn't you know it, we have engineering works this side of the country instead this weekend :-(

Up the U's

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 15:38 - Jan 13 with 2869 viewsdurham_exile

Bradford take the lead and it's Andy Cook who scored it.

Come on.

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 15:39 - Jan 13 with 2867 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 15:16 - Jan 13 by wessex_exile

It was in my mind too Durham, particularly as there are no engineering works this weekend between London and Colchester. Wouldn't you know it, we have engineering works this side of the country instead this weekend :-(

Engineering works, unbelievable.

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 15:46 - Jan 13 with 2851 viewsgerry_us

1 shot against 12 for Bradford
Luckily we are only one down.
What happened to the supposed attacking format; one up front?
Change up second half please Mr Cowley
Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 15:51 - Jan 13 with 2838 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 15:46 - Jan 13 by gerry_us

1 shot against 12 for Bradford
Luckily we are only one down.
What happened to the supposed attacking format; one up front?
Change up second half please Mr Cowley

Wilkinson, Ihionvien and Edwards to come on for the 2nd half.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 16:05 - Jan 13 with 2809 viewswessex_exile

We're just not controlling the ball well enough, even Read seems to be having an off day. If the Cowley's were under any illusion of the job they have to do, they won't be now.

Come on Col U!

Up the U's

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 16:21 - Jan 13 with 2786 viewsgerry_us

Here we go...1-1
Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 16:49 - Jan 13 with 2762 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 16:21 - Jan 13 by gerry_us

Here we go...1-1

Pleased for Tom Hopper too

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 16:54 - Jan 13 with 2755 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 16:49 - Jan 13 by durham_exile

Pleased for Tom Hopper too

Come on the U's

Att 4,625

FT 1-1

Come on the U's
[Post edited 13 Jan 16:55]

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 16:58 - Jan 13 with 2728 viewsMoor_Pinot

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 16:54 - Jan 13 by durham_exile

Att 4,625

FT 1-1

Come on the U's
[Post edited 13 Jan 16:55]

Maybe in learning to draw games we are beginning to get harder to beat?
Always going to be a tough ask today and I anticipated defeat so this is now two games unbeaten. Bravo!
From little acorns....

Moor Pinot

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 16:59 - Jan 13 with 2728 viewswessex_exile

As Greggors said, if you can't win, just don't lose. Not too impressive first half, much better second half, and a point each about the right result. Still six points clear of the relegation zone, and another game chalked off. Like I said, at present I'll be content with finishing 3rd from bottom, and then see what the Cowley's can do with a summer of recruitment and training next season.

Up the U's

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 17:49 - Jan 13 with 2681 viewsnoah4x4

Poor compared to performance at Swindon. Back to one up front, Frankly, I thought I was watching Etherington tactics. Chilvers was awful. Repeatedly lost the ball, refuses to play any simple ball, it’s time he was rested.
[Post edited 13 Jan 17:51]
Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 18:35 - Jan 13 with 2633 viewsBLACKCAT

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 17:49 - Jan 13 by noah4x4

Poor compared to performance at Swindon. Back to one up front, Frankly, I thought I was watching Etherington tactics. Chilvers was awful. Repeatedly lost the ball, refuses to play any simple ball, it’s time he was rested.
[Post edited 13 Jan 17:51]

A good point though. At half-time both on here and on Bradford City's City Talk message-board the feeling seemed to be astonishment that it was just 0-1 considering how completely on top the visitors had been. So in the end happy with a draw.
Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 18:54 - Jan 13 with 2617 viewsdurham_exile

Have just seen the goals.

Tidy finish from Tom Hopper.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams have their feather's ruffled by the resurgent Cowley inspired Super U's on 19:05 - Jan 13 with 2599 viewsCrashBandicoot

We still to tidy up at the back, toughen up in midfield and bring in a consistent goalscorer. Though the nucleus of a good team is there but they do need to work harder off the ball and play with some more intelligence - we did see shades of that in the 2nd half.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024