Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings 00:57 - Mar 9 with 1073 viewsdurham_exile

Today DC takes his charges to Barrow in Furness. This season the longest journey from Colchester about 325 miles each way.

I am taking my eldest son the 79 miles to watch the U’s attempt to secure a vital win against Pete Wild’s team who are flirting with the top seven places. They have experienced striker Dom Telford in their ranks together with talented youngster Emile Acquah, plus Kian Spence and Niall Canavan all of whom know where the goal is.

I have been to all three away matches at Holker Street since we started to play them again in 2020 and have seen a win, a draw and a defeat. The win 3-2 was a special game with Tom Eastman scoring an 80th minute winner with a powerful header.

Earlier this season the Bluebirds won 4-1 at the JCS in a match which flattered them.

Now we really are reaching the business end of the season.

Doncaster 35 40
Grimsby 34 34
COL U 34 32
FGR 35 27
Sutton 36 26

Today’s game is one of those that we really need to win. Not only to give a morale boost but also more importantly to put some daylight between us and the bottom two.

Sutton play Grimsby which is best if a draw results. We need to secure the 47 points for guaranteed safety as soon as possible. What our football has lacked recently in the improvement under DC has been the ability to put the game to bed.

Salford was a classic example where we had the chances to win the game but could only muster a solitary goal from substitute Bradley Ihionvien.

DC lined up:
Goodman
Richardson Harbottle Dallison Hall Iandolo
Smith McGeehan Chilvers
Hopper Akinde

Harbottle off for Egbo 54
Richardson off for Read 62
Smith off for Ihionvien 73
Akinde off for Jay 73

I thought Dallison was off the pace and at fault for the Smith goal just before half time.
However once again we had missed presentable chances with McGeehan, Harbottle and Hopper all guilty of glaring misses.

Bradley Ihionvien changed the game when he and Jay arrived on 73 minutes and he scored a deserved equaliser and could have won the game late on.

Now I didn’t think Smith had a good game and certainly nowhere near his high standards when he first burst onto the scene. Arthur Read was being eased back into the contest and poor old Big John is not really up to 90 minutes of football now.

Samson Tovide will be back perhaps at the start of April. Jayden Fevrier should be back but maybe it’s too soon for Harry Anderson. Kells should also be back soon.

In the meantime, I would like to see:

Goodman

Richardson Harbottle Hall Iandolo

Smith Read

Fevrier Chilvers McGeehan

Ihionvien

Subs:
Hornby Egbo Dallison Hopper Anderson Akinde Jay

Barrow weather will be 9 degrees Celsius partly sunny and breezy but dry.

I want to see the determination to secure a win which will send the right message to Gloucestershire and South London.

U’s to prevail 2-1 with Ihionvien and Fevrier netting the goals.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game and the three points.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 9 Mar 10:01]

Durham_exile

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 03:26 - Mar 9 with 1039 viewsghughes11

No McGeehan in your squad at all Durham?

He is our top scorer at the moment with Taylor now gone!

Enjoy the match.

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 07:34 - Mar 9 with 1004 viewsdurham_exile

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 03:26 - Mar 9 by ghughes11

No McGeehan in your squad at all Durham?

He is our top scorer at the moment with Taylor now gone!

Enjoy the match.

ghughes
Thanks for pointing out my error.
I have no excuse.
McGeehan to start in place of Jay.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 12:10 - Mar 9 with 945 viewsburnsieespana

My heart says we will win but my reality check says another draw with which I will be more than happy.
I believe Barrow are beatable.
Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 14:18 - Mar 9 with 908 viewsmfb_cufc

U's side to face Barrow (three changes): Goodman, Egbo, Dallison, Hall, Richardson, Read, Smith, Chilvers, Anderson, McGeehan, Hopper

Colchester made three changes to their starting line-up, with Harry Anderson, Mandela Egbo and Arthur Read in for Riley Harbottle, John Akinde and Ellis Iandolo, who missed out with a quad injury

U's subs are Harbottle, Mingi, Fevrier, Akinde, Jay, Ihionvien, Hornby

mfb

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 15:53 - Mar 9 with 875 viewswessex_exile

Very soft free-kick, and again the U's have to come back from a goal down. Still, a positive performance despite that setback, plenty of time to put things right. Come on the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 16:02 - Mar 9 with 860 viewsdurham_exile

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 15:53 - Mar 9 by wessex_exile

Very soft free-kick, and again the U's have to come back from a goal down. Still, a positive performance despite that setback, plenty of time to put things right. Come on the U's!

Wessex we are seething
It wasn't a free kick.

Bradley must come on from the start of the second half.

Durham_exile

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 16:02 - Mar 9 with 860 viewsburnsieespana

Once again the break is vital. When are we going to stop conceedingly goals like this?
Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 17:03 - Mar 9 with 815 viewswessex_exile

Well that's us well and truly in the sh't right now - two wins in our next two home games would improve matters, but where are the goals going to come from? It is no consolation that for large parts of the game we were the better side against a team challenging for promotion, that means nothing - it's goals that count.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 17:16 - Mar 9 with 785 viewsgerry_us

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 17:03 - Mar 9 by wessex_exile

Well that's us well and truly in the sh't right now - two wins in our next two home games would improve matters, but where are the goals going to come from? It is no consolation that for large parts of the game we were the better side against a team challenging for promotion, that means nothing - it's goals that count.

When I refereed ( albeit many moons ago) we played 45 minutes per half.
Would that we could return to those days because we seem to go to sleep on 45 and 90.
Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 18:45 - Mar 9 with 697 viewsburnsieespana

I fear we are in real deep shit with conceeding so many late goals and not scoring.
The trapdoor beckons particularly as FGR are putting together so.e good results.
Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 19:54 - Mar 9 with 668 viewsfranksic1988

Thing that is really worrying me is we do not play Zak Mitchell! Also not one of the new signings has really made a diff!
Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 20:24 - Mar 9 with 634 viewsburnsieespana

Am happy we don't play Mitchell!
Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 21:03 - Mar 9 with 614 viewsdurham_exile

Just home now after stopping for a meal in Barrow after the game.

Will pen some thoughts tomorrow.

Safe journey home for the 163 faithful who once again gave their all today for the team.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 22:01 - Mar 9 with 592 viewsLewis_1

11 games left, 7 at home
Wild to live up to his name as U's clip Bluebirds wings on 19:50 - Mar 10 with 406 viewswessex_exile

I'm just glad we get right back at it Tuesday night. Donny may be safe now, and in good form, but we have to make these home games count. With FGR and Sutton away at Bradford and Crewe, it's the perfect opportunity to undo some of the damage done at Barrow - a lot of it inflicted by a very poor referee, didn't award a blatant penalty, did award a non-existent free-kick - though to be fair he wasn't responsible for us not creating enough chances to bury Barrow.

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024