Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saddle up for three vital points 11:35 - Mar 16 with 1163 viewsdurham_exile

Last weekend’s defeat hurt the U’s perhaps more than any other because FGR have started to see an upturn in form with Sombrero man at the helm.

Consequently, the gap has closed dramatically at the foot of the table.
Salford 38 41
Grimsby 36 38
FGR 37 33
COL U 35 32
Sutton 38 27

Remaining Fixtures:

Walsall H Sat Mar 16
Mansfield A Sat Mar 23*
Newport H Fri Mar 29
Tranmere A Mon Apr 1*
Wrexham H Sat Apr 6
Stockport H Tues Apr 9
Crawley A Sat Apr 13
Grimsby H Tues Apr 16
Notts Co A Sat Apr 20*
Crewe H Sat Apr 27*

TBA Doncaster H Probably Tues Apr 23

After a fourth postponement due to waterlogging of the pitch this season the Club received permission to shorten and narrow the pitch from 105m to 102m and from 68m to 64m. This apparently will tackle the worst of the pitch quality at the East side of the ground.

Interestingly the Layer Road surface was 100m x 67m (the same size as Arsenal’s old Highbury stadium).

We welcome the Saddlers today led by Mat Sadler and counting amongst their number Brandon Comley one of our former midfielders. I went to the Bescot in September when a drab game was settled by a moment of brilliance from Isaac Hutchinson in the 65th minute. The Saddlers rolled over last week at FGR and I am sure they will not want to repeat such a poor performance today.

However, there is still some mileage in last week’s disappointing performance. Barrow is the longest journey this season at 325 miles, but next season (hopefully) we will be back at Brunton Park Carlisle which is mere 316 miles each way.

I travelled with my eldest son and upon arrival the major change this season is the temporary covered seating to the side of the pitch, which was both heavily sanded and bobbly. We had to try a number of seats before choosing the one with the least obstructive views of the playing surface. Noah did the same and sat just behind us. It was also good to see Kevin who was over for the game.

The team was:
Goodman
Egbo Dallison Hall
Richardson Read Smith Anderson
Chilvers McGeehan
Hopper

Subs:
Egbo off Harbottle on 38mins
Richardson off Ihionvien on 59mins
Anderson off Fevrier on 59mins
Smith off Jay on 73 mins
Hopper off Akinde on 74 mins

Once again we had the lion’s share of the possession and chances but fell to a sucker punch with goals on 45+4 mins and 90+5mins. The first was a free kick that never was (in fairness Spence took it well) and the second we were chasing the game and had both centre backs forward when Foley scored into an empty net.

Now I have been critical of Chilvers this season and on Saturday he showed all the old failings. Weak in the tackle and failing to track back and although he had a Hollywood shot it was always going wide and over the goal. Time to be benched.

By contrast we need Ihionvien to start and for Tovide to return (probably from the bench). Fevrier has been sorely missed and

At the end of the game the 163 loyal supporters were disgruntled but I fail to see how a minority screaming obscenities at the players and berating them is actually helping to spur them on to greater glory. Good to see the supporters there but let’s get behind the team because we are fighting for our very survival.

The injury situation is helped by Samson Tovide’s likely return (not a full game though) but Egbo was injured last week and Anderson didn’t look fit. Not sue whether Wilkinson, Kells and Mingi are all fit yet.

So, I would go with:

Goodman

Richardson Hall Harbottle Iandolo

Fevrier Read Smith McGeehan

Ihionvien Hopper

Subs:
Hornby Chilvers Tovide Jay Akinde Dallison Edwards

Two strikers please.

Weather is likely to be sunny and 9 degrees Celsius but DRY.

Enjoy the game, we have 11 games to save our football league status.
I am heartily fed up with reading “struggling” Colchester or “relegation threatened” Colchester. Let us instead read Cowley inspired Colchester secure vital win.

Score prediction Colchester 2 Walsall 0.

Ihionvien and Tovide (from the bench) with the goals.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 11:50 - Mar 16 with 1140 viewsfranksic1988

We all know Chilvers has concrete starting place. !!!
Saddle up for three vital points on 14:11 - Mar 16 with 1073 viewsdurham_exile

Starting xI

Goodman

Hall Dallison

Fevrier Read Mingi Anderson

Chilvers McGeehan

Akinde Ihionvien

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 14:13 - Mar 16 with 1068 viewsdurham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 14:11 - Mar 16 by durham_exile

Starting xI

Goodman

Hall Dallison

Fevrier Read Mingi Anderson

Chilvers McGeehan

Akinde Ihionvien

Up the U's

Subs
Hornby Jay Wilkinson Smith Edwards Richardson Hopper

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 14:20 - Mar 16 with 1056 viewsdurham_exile

Mingi and Anderson playing at R and L back.

So 4 4 2

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 14:33 - Mar 16 with 1042 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I hope they know something I don't as this team is bizarre at best. Three defenders in the whole squad and only two starting!

COME ON U'S!!!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Saddle up for three vital points on 15:42 - Mar 16 with 1015 viewsdurham_exile

Grim scoreline

In addition to our goal against, Sutton have scored at FGR.

Come on survival is on the line.

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 15:49 - Mar 16 with 997 viewsdurham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 15:42 - Mar 16 by durham_exile

Grim scoreline

In addition to our goal against, Sutton have scored at FGR.

Come on survival is on the line.

Plenty to do second half.

Cannot afford to lose today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:04 - Mar 16 with 966 viewsdurham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 15:49 - Mar 16 by durham_exile

Plenty to do second half.

Cannot afford to lose today.

Up the U's

For those at the game. How is the surface.

Big second half, probably the most important of the season.

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:06 - Mar 16 with 954 viewsdurham_exile

Big goal from Cameron McGeehan

Come on

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:16 - Mar 16 with 936 viewsdurham_exile

Another penalty missed by Chilvers.

Simply not good enough.
How much does he want this?

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:28 - Mar 16 with 913 viewsdurham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:16 - Mar 16 by durham_exile

Simply not good enough.

Come on the U's

Chilvers off Smith on

Akinde off Hopper on

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:37 - Mar 16 with 898 viewsMoor_Pinot

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:16 - Mar 16 by durham_exile

Simply not good enough.

Come on the U's

Have we scored from a penalty this year? I know we've conceded loads but I only recall us having two, both of which Chilvers missed.
When you're in a scrap like we are you need experience and coolness and I doubt we've anyone who fits that. I'd have made Brad take it!

Moor Pinot

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:45 - Mar 16 with 872 viewsdurham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:37 - Mar 16 by Moor_Pinot

Have we scored from a penalty this year? I know we've conceded loads but I only recall us having two, both of which Chilvers missed.
When you're in a scrap like we are you need experience and coolness and I doubt we've anyone who fits that. I'd have made Brad take it!

Pinot I don't think we have scored a penalty in the league this season.

Chilvers has been shocking once again.

We are fighting for our survival and that penalty miss has probably cost us two points today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:53 - Mar 16 with 848 viewsdurham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:45 - Mar 16 by durham_exile

Pinot I don't think we have scored a penalty in the league this season.

Chilvers has been shocking once again.

We are fighting for our survival and that penalty miss has probably cost us two points today.

Up the U's

So, we just have to win at Field Mill next week.

Out of the relegation zone on goal difference.

Up the U's
[Post edited 16 Mar 18:02]

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:58 - Mar 16 with 819 viewsMoor_Pinot

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:53 - Mar 16 by durham_exile

So, we just have to win at Field Mill next week.

Out of the relegation zone on goal difference.

Up the U's
[Post edited 16 Mar 18:02]

I feel no pressure over next week.
We will lose that because we're nowhere near good enough to even be playing Mansfield Durham.
Our survival depends on some of the other ten games of which we need to win two or three.

Moor Pinot

Saddle up for three vital points on 17:12 - Mar 16 with 810 viewswessex_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 16:58 - Mar 16 by Moor_Pinot

I feel no pressure over next week.
We will lose that because we're nowhere near good enough to even be playing Mansfield Durham.
Our survival depends on some of the other ten games of which we need to win two or three.

Yep, Mansfield is a free shot for the U's, I expect nothing so anything will be a massive bonus.

Sutton face a tricky home game against Accrington Stanley next Saturday, FGR an even trickier visit to Donny, one of the current form teams in the league (who'd have thought that a month or so ago). We're still in a mini-league of three, but it's only ours to lose right now.

Out of the bottom two tonight, another game undefeated, and the games are running out for those below us. I'll take that.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Saddle up for three vital points on 17:25 - Mar 16 with 783 viewsnoah4x4

Chilvers, an absolutely diabolical penalty (yet again) that even I might have saved. Bradley wanted to take it, Chilvers wrestled it off him. Now two potentially crucial points dropped. Hope it doesn’t bite us later. As it turns out, Sutton did us a favour and before the game I think most fans would be have been happy with these results. But we are own worst enemy. Handed three points on a plate and Mr far too casual Chilvers screws it up. I despair.
Saddle up for three vital points on 17:29 - Mar 16 with 771 viewsfranksic1988

You have to look at the set up. You got your worst player ( Chilvers ) taking a potentially season defining pen. It’s a joke situation. Why doesn’t he lace it.

We are on for a hiding next week. 100% we are going backwards in football terms. We don’t have a system or ID of how we want to play. If we skin off our teeth this for one more time. Some serious changes need to be applied.

Best football we played was under garner. Taylor got a hat trick for imps today. But In this team is not see him scoring we are pony at football.
Saddle up for three vital points on 17:57 - Mar 16 with 742 viewsWitham

In answer to your question about the pitch, it was soft with about an 80% rebound bounce, and looked bare in places but it was at least level.
Saddle up for three vital points on 18:04 - Mar 16 with 737 viewsdurham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 17:57 - Mar 16 by Witham

In answer to your question about the pitch, it was soft with about an 80% rebound bounce, and looked bare in places but it was at least level.

Thanks Witham

Durham_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 18:08 - Mar 16 with 734 viewswessex_exile

Saddle up for three vital points on 17:25 - Mar 16 by noah4x4

Chilvers, an absolutely diabolical penalty (yet again) that even I might have saved. Bradley wanted to take it, Chilvers wrestled it off him. Now two potentially crucial points dropped. Hope it doesn’t bite us later. As it turns out, Sutton did us a favour and before the game I think most fans would be have been happy with these results. But we are own worst enemy. Handed three points on a plate and Mr far too casual Chilvers screws it up. I despair.

I wanted McGeehan to take it, but credit (in some way) for Noah stepping up and not hiding. Poor execution though.

Up the U's

Saddle up for three vital points on 18:12 - Mar 16 with 728 viewsbwildered

Pitch played ok. A game a home side would get in front and go on to win. Considering with only two defenders we did well to only concede one. Penalty miss woke up the visitors would came in the game strongly. Edwards needs to come on earlier to influence games with decent cross which again was lacking. Draw a fair result, both sides had opportunities to gain a win.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Saddle up for three vital points on 18:44 - Mar 17 with 468 viewswessex_exile

Having had today to reflect, I think I quite enjoyed that game. A bit light on technical ability at times, but a decent performance from both sides who clearly had attacking intent.

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024