Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
yellow shirts 11:45 - Apr 3 with 1698 viewsdiplodocus

well, the club have told us why we woer a yellow shirt at home, but not why hartlepool didn't think to bring different shirts considering they caused the same problem last year! was it arrogance or just rank bad planning??
yellow shirts on 12:21 - Apr 3 with 1595 viewsTVOS1907

Both of their kits clash with ours, as explained in the article on the o/s. Basically, Hartlepool need a third kit for such eventualities.

They didn't cause the same problem last year, as all home teams playing on Boxing Day 2022 wore their away kits to highlight homelessness, as also explained in the article on the o/s.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2024/april/yellowarmy_010124/

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

yellow shirts on 13:03 - Apr 3 with 1491 views442Dale

I doubt there’s another team in the country who has changed from their first choice colours as much as Dale in recent years. It’s at least ten times since Keith Hill originally took over.

We do it all too easily, albeit that other clubs are sometimes to blame. It’s amazing that each league doesn’t have a simple rule where clubs have to propose their colours and these are then checked before the season starts. Each time there’s a possibility of something happening like v Hartlepool, the away club is told they need to source a third shirt. Do this in the summer and the problems are solved.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

yellow shirts on 13:51 - Apr 3 with 1394 views49thseason

I know 442 will probably report this as a hate crime, but isnt it time we did something other than blue and black? When we played Maidenhead, everyone on the pitch except the goalies were wearing black shorts and black socks including the ref and linos!
We need 3 strips...
1. A new home strip .. not stripes
2. A lighter coloured floodlight strip that doesnt disappear against the background in poorly lit, virtually empty, stadiums.
3. A change strip which is from the opposite side of the colour wheel to blue, so yellow, orange, or lime green
4. We should also have alternative shorts and socks to ensure no clashes with other shorts and socks on the pitch.
BTW light green is the most visible colour in the spectrum, especially in poor light / artificial light. Yellow is the most eye-catching colour and apparently is associated with positivity and optimism.!
yellow shirts on 14:01 - Apr 3 with 1364 viewsTVOS1907

yellow shirts on 13:51 - Apr 3 by 49thseason

I know 442 will probably report this as a hate crime, but isnt it time we did something other than blue and black? When we played Maidenhead, everyone on the pitch except the goalies were wearing black shorts and black socks including the ref and linos!
We need 3 strips...
1. A new home strip .. not stripes
2. A lighter coloured floodlight strip that doesnt disappear against the background in poorly lit, virtually empty, stadiums.
3. A change strip which is from the opposite side of the colour wheel to blue, so yellow, orange, or lime green
4. We should also have alternative shorts and socks to ensure no clashes with other shorts and socks on the pitch.
BTW light green is the most visible colour in the spectrum, especially in poor light / artificial light. Yellow is the most eye-catching colour and apparently is associated with positivity and optimism.!

To be fair, when we're the home side, it's up to the opponents to wear contrasting shorts and socks, like we did at Solihull this season.

The same coloured shorts aren't a massive issue, as shown when a lot of matches see both teams wearing white shorts, for example, but socks should always be different colours to help with close calls for throw-ins, corners, goal-kicks, etc.

I agree re the stripes. There is so much more that could be done with our unique colour scheme; nobody has ever said we have to wear stripes, but it seems those who make the decisions think we do. Well, apart from the six seasons since 2008/09 when we haven't ( http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Rochdale/Rochdale.htm).

I think you might need some night vision specs, by the way.

yellow shirts on 14:33 - Apr 3 with 1296 views442Dale

There was a focus group in February which all supporters could have attended if they had any particular ideas or valuable input about kits.

The point was made about having a strip that is too dark - something that has been mentioned on here as far back as 2013 when our shirt contained too much black. Fans suggested that shorts and socks should never both be black as a first choice strip.

Change kits were discussed at length too as was having options to vote on that were not just stripes (TVOS is spot on). Recent events around investment may be a reason why the planned voting has yet to occur, but I’ll follow this up with Trust.

I totally agree with your points about having alternative shorts and socks that match to avoid clashes, however it seems to be that short clashes aren’t an issue much these days. But they should be.

We should never move away from blue/black/white as our home colours as they’re unique ( or they were in the EFL!). Doing so would impact that and our ability to make use of it in marketing and as a brand - something we don’t do enough of at present.

Would suggest that if you, or anyone with a real interest in the subject, wants the club to listen then it’s worth attending these focus groups and to push for consistent processes that fans can play a part in. Again, hopefully this will improve once things hopefully change off the field.

Edit: meant as a quote reply to 49thseason.
[Post edited 3 Apr 14:34]

yellow shirts on 14:56 - Apr 3 with 1245 views49thseason

yellow shirts on 14:01 - Apr 3 by TVOS1907

To be fair, when we're the home side, it's up to the opponents to wear contrasting shorts and socks, like we did at Solihull this season.

The same coloured shorts aren't a massive issue, as shown when a lot of matches see both teams wearing white shorts, for example, but socks should always be different colours to help with close calls for throw-ins, corners, goal-kicks, etc.

I agree re the stripes. There is so much more that could be done with our unique colour scheme; nobody has ever said we have to wear stripes, but it seems those who make the decisions think we do. Well, apart from the six seasons since 2008/09 when we haven't ( http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Rochdale/Rochdale.htm).

I think you might need some night vision specs, by the way.

I'm due an eye test later this year and probably will need a cataract sorting at some point... I wonder if the players get eye tests or if any of them slightly colour blind? Has anyone checked? .. There is a bigger argument about kit though, especially when you are looking for marginal improvements in performance. For many seasons we,have had a poor patch of form in midwinter when all games are played under floodlights...coincidence maybe, poor training facilities in miserable conditions .. maybe, low levels of vitamin D .. possibly. But the pattern exists..and persists. Find a reason , solve the problem, improve performances.... is it as simple as a more visible kit under floodlights? Shouldn't we perhaps test the theory somehow? Would it do any harm to try?
Professional sport is about small incremental improvements, how many things can we improve? How may goals do we,score from a direct freekicks, I can only recall,the recent one ..Maidenhead? Zico used to take 100 dead ball shots after training every day..Or from corners? What if everyone could run a yard faster over 10 or 20 yards? What are the most common injuries and how do we try to prevent them? What changes might an American football coach make? Or a Rugby coach? Would a basketball coach help our goalkeepers? Dave Brailsford from British Cycling has just joined Man United, I wonder what changes he will make? How well do players sleep on their nights away? Does it affect some performances?
Its not enough to keep doing the things we have always done and expecting different results. We have lost 11 games by a single goal and drawn 11, how different would the table look if we had scored 1 more goal in those 22 games?
yellow shirts on 15:03 - Apr 3 with 1216 views442Dale

yellow shirts on 14:56 - Apr 3 by 49thseason

I'm due an eye test later this year and probably will need a cataract sorting at some point... I wonder if the players get eye tests or if any of them slightly colour blind? Has anyone checked? .. There is a bigger argument about kit though, especially when you are looking for marginal improvements in performance. For many seasons we,have had a poor patch of form in midwinter when all games are played under floodlights...coincidence maybe, poor training facilities in miserable conditions .. maybe, low levels of vitamin D .. possibly. But the pattern exists..and persists. Find a reason , solve the problem, improve performances.... is it as simple as a more visible kit under floodlights? Shouldn't we perhaps test the theory somehow? Would it do any harm to try?
Professional sport is about small incremental improvements, how many things can we improve? How may goals do we,score from a direct freekicks, I can only recall,the recent one ..Maidenhead? Zico used to take 100 dead ball shots after training every day..Or from corners? What if everyone could run a yard faster over 10 or 20 yards? What are the most common injuries and how do we try to prevent them? What changes might an American football coach make? Or a Rugby coach? Would a basketball coach help our goalkeepers? Dave Brailsford from British Cycling has just joined Man United, I wonder what changes he will make? How well do players sleep on their nights away? Does it affect some performances?
Its not enough to keep doing the things we have always done and expecting different results. We have lost 11 games by a single goal and drawn 11, how different would the table look if we had scored 1 more goal in those 22 games?

In a period from the last week in October until January we played six home league games wearing blue and black. We won 4 and drew 2.

This could have been discussed at the meeting though with a thorough analysis done, over say the last twenty years, to provide a starting point.
[Post edited 3 Apr 15:06]

yellow shirts on 15:11 - Apr 3 with 1184 viewsbluevein64

yellow shirts on 12:21 - Apr 3 by TVOS1907

Both of their kits clash with ours, as explained in the article on the o/s. Basically, Hartlepool need a third kit for such eventualities.

They didn't cause the same problem last year, as all home teams playing on Boxing Day 2022 wore their away kits to highlight homelessness, as also explained in the article on the o/s.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2024/april/yellowarmy_010124/

I was surprised that the Ref allowed the Pools Keeper to play in all yellow, surely a direct clash with Dales all yellow 2nd kit!
Login to get fewer ads

yellow shirts on 15:21 - Apr 3 with 1152 views49thseason

yellow shirts on 14:33 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

There was a focus group in February which all supporters could have attended if they had any particular ideas or valuable input about kits.

The point was made about having a strip that is too dark - something that has been mentioned on here as far back as 2013 when our shirt contained too much black. Fans suggested that shorts and socks should never both be black as a first choice strip.

Change kits were discussed at length too as was having options to vote on that were not just stripes (TVOS is spot on). Recent events around investment may be a reason why the planned voting has yet to occur, but I’ll follow this up with Trust.

I totally agree with your points about having alternative shorts and socks that match to avoid clashes, however it seems to be that short clashes aren’t an issue much these days. But they should be.

We should never move away from blue/black/white as our home colours as they’re unique ( or they were in the EFL!). Doing so would impact that and our ability to make use of it in marketing and as a brand - something we don’t do enough of at present.

Would suggest that if you, or anyone with a real interest in the subject, wants the club to listen then it’s worth attending these focus groups and to push for consistent processes that fans can play a part in. Again, hopefully this will improve once things hopefully change off the field.

Edit: meant as a quote reply to 49thseason.
[Post edited 3 Apr 14:34]

Unfortunately I have to pick and choose what I do and don't do quite carefully as I have caring responsibilities. A focus ĝroup is fine but was the science behind the colour choices debated as fully as possible or was it more related to what the participants thought they would prefer to wear? I well remember when we played in white shirts with black shorts and white socks so maybe I am not as wedded to blue and black as many others seem to be.
I would assume that there has to be commercial input into shirt design as well as fashion and visibility questions and blue may be a necessary element, but I believe there are ways and means to alter the shade and design to reflect the playing conditions without materially altering the essential elements...for example widening the white pinstipes, narrowing the black and going a few shades of blue lighter with matching blue and/ or white shorts floodlight games... more Napoli than Inter perhaps....?
yellow shirts on 15:30 - Apr 3 with 1137 views442Dale

yellow shirts on 15:21 - Apr 3 by 49thseason

Unfortunately I have to pick and choose what I do and don't do quite carefully as I have caring responsibilities. A focus ĝroup is fine but was the science behind the colour choices debated as fully as possible or was it more related to what the participants thought they would prefer to wear? I well remember when we played in white shirts with black shorts and white socks so maybe I am not as wedded to blue and black as many others seem to be.
I would assume that there has to be commercial input into shirt design as well as fashion and visibility questions and blue may be a necessary element, but I believe there are ways and means to alter the shade and design to reflect the playing conditions without materially altering the essential elements...for example widening the white pinstipes, narrowing the black and going a few shades of blue lighter with matching blue and/ or white shorts floodlight games... more Napoli than Inter perhaps....?

We discussed around visibility when a kit looks too dark, as mentioned. Detail was provided in how this can be solved by ‘lightening’ the strip with different design elements including the use of white trim. It’s certainly not a new thing amongst supporters who have tried to improve the process over the years.

If you’d like many ideas you have taken forward for future meetings, happy to do so. Presumably the Trust would facilitate this too as they had a rep present too.

It was a short meeting on a Tuesday night, so maybe that can be looked at in future to ensure that those who want to participate can do so. As could the choice about doing it on Teams which might not be as good as in person. Again, will follow that up with the Trust.

yellow shirts on 15:31 - Apr 3 with 1136 viewsTVOS1907

yellow shirts on 14:56 - Apr 3 by 49thseason

The direct free kick was against Woking, who lost the evening game in a kit significantly lighter in colour than ours!

I'm sure we would engage those types of experts from other sports and other disciplines if we had a bit more money, but I'm fairly sure there's been something lately that suggests we don't have.

Anyway, in midwinter, on Saturday games, doesn't it tend to be only the second half when the floodlights are really needed? So to be more accurate, you should have said "when floodlights are needed for the second half of all games."

Still, let's look at the facts, taking all games from 1st November to 31st January as our 'midwinter sample'.

Since the 2004/05 season (so covering 20 seasons), we have played 119 home league games in the period 1st November to 31st January, winning 46, drawing 33 and losing 40. In other words, we have been unbeaten in approximately two out of every three home fixtures across that period.

If we include away games, we have played 247 league fixtures in the aforementioned period, remaining unbeaten in 146 (59%, or approximately three in every five).

Considering those figures include seasons where we had three relegations, but only two promotions, to still be in credit regarding unbeaten/beaten matches is quite significant and shows that a good team is able to perform well, whatever time of season it is and whatever kit they're wearing.

Anyway, I'm sure the club/kit focus group would welcome your input next time they meet to discuss such matters. 442 will probably remind us all about it nearer the time.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024