Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes 09:43 - Apr 28 with 5352 viewswessex_exile

As suggested on the matchday thread, let’s kick off the traditional summer transfer speculation. I’ll start with our current loanees. I doubt Palace would release Owen Goodman, and if they did, would we want him or even be able to afford him? Of the rest, I’d definitely like to see Alastair Smith and maybe Riley Harbottle sign if they were released. As for the rest, they’ll be heading back to make room for new choices.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:53 - May 3 with 1808 viewswessex_exile

Interesting (and very good) interview with Danny.

Special mentions for Jay (Mingi), Brad, Jayden, Samson and yes, Noah. Does that point to at least five who'll be retained if the right contracts can be agreed?

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 07:37 - May 4 with 1692 viewsCrashBandicoot

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:53 - May 3 by wessex_exile

Interesting (and very good) interview with Danny.

Special mentions for Jay (Mingi), Brad, Jayden, Samson and yes, Noah. Does that point to at least five who'll be retained if the right contracts can be agreed?

Out of those Noah is the only one who's contract is up for renewal though I hope McGeehan also stays. I wonder if DC will aim for some of his old players like Sean Spraggett?

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:03 - May 4 with 1665 viewsburnsieespana

Suspect a number still under contract will have been told to find new clubs or placed on transfer list.
If we pay up the contracts to get rid of them it will, I assume have a detrimental effect on the Budget.
Still we should know for sure early next week.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 12:10 - May 4 with 1623 viewsCrashBandicoot

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:03 - May 4 by burnsieespana

Suspect a number still under contract will have been told to find new clubs or placed on transfer list.
If we pay up the contracts to get rid of them it will, I assume have a detrimental effect on the Budget.
Still we should know for sure early next week.

I think theyll either be sold on or loaned out. I can't see any contracts be paid up or terminated early tbh.
[Post edited 4 May 12:13]

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 00:28 - May 6 with 1490 viewsghughes11

Kane Vincent-Young released by Wycombe: - though continuing his rehab there whilst recovering from (another) injury setback.

Another one to add to the former players released list and another one to add to the list of players that them up the road ruined after leaving us

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:15 - May 6 with 1398 viewsmfb_cufc

Danny Cowley expects Jay Mingi to be sold by Colchester this summer.

Danny Cowley has told Pompey to expect a summer financial windfall from the sale of Jay Mingi.

The Colchester boss is braced to lose the 23-year-old during the close season, claiming Championship and League One clubs are hovering.

Mingi rejected a three-year Fratton Park deal last summer in favour of becoming a free agent, eventually earning himself a two-year contract with United in September.

Under terms of the deal, the Blues received around £30,000 in training compensation, while a sell-on clause was also included
And with Mingi having shone during his maiden Colchester season, albeit often in the unfamiliar role of centre-half, Cowley admits he anticipates a summer sale.

Pompey’s former head coach told The News: ‘Jay has played a lot at right centre-half, he has been brilliant, he has done fantastic.

‘Last summer, I actually spoke with Colchester’s recruitment guys at the time, Dmitri Halajko and Ross Embleton, and of course I gave Jay a really good reference. We were really pleased to then inherit him when we got to Colchester.

‘But I don’t think we’ll hang onto him, I think he’s gone. I have a feeling there will be some finance coming back to Pompey because he’s done brilliantly for us, he’s far too athletic for League Two.

‘We would love to keep him, but my feeling is there are a lot of Championship and League One clubs that are very keen to sign him.

‘Jay has the athleticism to be able to play anywhere on the pitch because he’s an incredible athlete, he has some incredible technical skills that allow him to speed the game up. He can execute at speed.

‘I’ve been lucky enough to manage in eight of the top nine divisions and everyone asks me what the definer is - and probably it’s the ability to execute your skills at speed.

‘If you can do that, then you can play in the Championship and beyond. If you can’t, then there’s probably a ceiling on the level you can play.’

Mingi made 28 appearances as Colchester avoided relegation from League Two on the final day of the campaign.

However, a hamstring injury sidelined him for two-and-a-half months, returning to fitness after Cowley had been appointed head coach in January.

The former Charlton man previously made 29 appearances for Pompey, scoring once, after arriving as a free transfer in September 2021.

Cowley added: ‘Last season at Pompey, he had a brilliant spell with us.

‘We had a lot of injuries at the time and he came in against Forest Green (October 2022) and played very well and had a really good run in the team. Unfortunately, when we left, he found himself outside the side.’

mfb

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:19 - May 7 with 1302 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:15 - May 6 by mfb_cufc

Danny Cowley expects Jay Mingi to be sold by Colchester this summer.

Danny Cowley has told Pompey to expect a summer financial windfall from the sale of Jay Mingi.

The Colchester boss is braced to lose the 23-year-old during the close season, claiming Championship and League One clubs are hovering.

Mingi rejected a three-year Fratton Park deal last summer in favour of becoming a free agent, eventually earning himself a two-year contract with United in September.

Under terms of the deal, the Blues received around £30,000 in training compensation, while a sell-on clause was also included
And with Mingi having shone during his maiden Colchester season, albeit often in the unfamiliar role of centre-half, Cowley admits he anticipates a summer sale.

Pompey’s former head coach told The News: ‘Jay has played a lot at right centre-half, he has been brilliant, he has done fantastic.

‘Last summer, I actually spoke with Colchester’s recruitment guys at the time, Dmitri Halajko and Ross Embleton, and of course I gave Jay a really good reference. We were really pleased to then inherit him when we got to Colchester.

‘But I don’t think we’ll hang onto him, I think he’s gone. I have a feeling there will be some finance coming back to Pompey because he’s done brilliantly for us, he’s far too athletic for League Two.

‘We would love to keep him, but my feeling is there are a lot of Championship and League One clubs that are very keen to sign him.

‘Jay has the athleticism to be able to play anywhere on the pitch because he’s an incredible athlete, he has some incredible technical skills that allow him to speed the game up. He can execute at speed.

‘I’ve been lucky enough to manage in eight of the top nine divisions and everyone asks me what the definer is - and probably it’s the ability to execute your skills at speed.

‘If you can do that, then you can play in the Championship and beyond. If you can’t, then there’s probably a ceiling on the level you can play.’

Mingi made 28 appearances as Colchester avoided relegation from League Two on the final day of the campaign.

However, a hamstring injury sidelined him for two-and-a-half months, returning to fitness after Cowley had been appointed head coach in January.

The former Charlton man previously made 29 appearances for Pompey, scoring once, after arriving as a free transfer in September 2021.

Cowley added: ‘Last season at Pompey, he had a brilliant spell with us.

‘We had a lot of injuries at the time and he came in against Forest Green (October 2022) and played very well and had a really good run in the team. Unfortunately, when we left, he found himself outside the side.’

Next season I was hoping Mingi would become the holding midfielder we so desperately need. He has all the attributes to be excellent in that role. When Garner's Col U looked good Skuse or Ashley were in that role and then they both left and were never replaced which left us too open and too easy to score against.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:37 - May 7 with 1245 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 00:28 - May 6 by ghughes11

Kane Vincent-Young released by Wycombe: - though continuing his rehab there whilst recovering from (another) injury setback.

Another one to add to the former players released list and another one to add to the list of players that them up the road ruined after leaving us

John Joe O'Toole released by Mansfield.

Login to get fewer ads

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 00:34 - May 8 with 1134 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:37 - May 7 by RSCOSWORTH

John Joe O'Toole released by Mansfield.

More significantly, I’ve just learned that Stockport have released Paddy Madden on a free transfer! I wouldn’t say no.

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 08:28 - May 8 with 1089 viewsburnsieespana

Think he wanted a 2 year contract which Stockport wouldn't grant plus more money.
My bet is he will end up at Dalford
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:45 - May 8 with 1046 viewsburnsieespana

No surprises in retaiained list apart maybe Miranda.
Option taken up on Terry so assume seen as a possibility for next season.
Suspect one of two like Greenidge will be moved on if possible.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:05 - May 8 with 1035 viewsdurham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:45 - May 8 by burnsieespana

No surprises in retaiained list apart maybe Miranda.
Option taken up on Terry so assume seen as a possibility for next season.
Suspect one of two like Greenidge will be moved on if possible.

Really surprised to see Ryan Lowe released.
A gem of a midfielder.

Durham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:53 - May 8 with 1001 viewsRSCOSWORTH

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2024/may/retainrelease-list/

Colchester United can announce the retained/released list following the conclusion of the 2023/24 season.

The first team and U21s will see changes in their squads for the new 2024/25 campaign, with players from both groups departing the U's.

First Team

Released
Sam Hornby
Tom Dallison
John Akinde
Marley Marshall Miranda

Offers Made
Noah Chilvers
Cameron McGeehan
Chay Cooper
Al-Amin Kazeem

Returning To Parent Club
Owen Goodman
Zach Mitchell
Harry Anderson
Riley Harbottle
Jayden Richardson
Alistair Smith

Under Contract for 24/25
Will Greenidge
Ellis Iandolo
Fiacre Kelleher
Connor Hall
Matt Jay
Conor Wilkinson
Samson Tovide
Owura Edwards
Tom Smith
Tom Hopper
Arthur Read
Mandela Egbo
Jay Mingi
Jayden Fevrier
Bradley Ihionvien

U21s Squad

Released
Donell Thomas
Harry Beadle
Gene Kennedy
Ronnie Nelson
Ted Collins
Ryan Lowe
T'Aizo Marcel-Dilaver
Kaan Bennett
Jet Dyer
Kennedy Mupomba
Byan Aman
Matt Yates

Offers Made
Harrison Chamberlain
Frankie Edwards
Max Jolliffe
Milton Oni

Under Contract
Oscar Thorn (Option Taken)
Frankie Terry (Option Taken)
Oliver Godziemski
Kaleel Green
Archie Oliver
Hakeem Sandah

Colchester United Head Coach Danny Cowley said: "Can we take the opportunity to thank all of the players for their hard work and commitment since Nicky and I came to the club. We have spent the last week meeting with the players, reflecting on the season and looking to the future.

"On behalf of the club, we have tried to make some difficult decisions on players that we think a lot of as people. I am sure you will join us in wishing them success in their careers moving forward."

Sporting Director Dmitri Halajko thanked the players for their efforts during what has been a challenging season, saying: "Of course the season didn't go the way we all wanted it to, but it was not down to lack of effort and will on any player's part."

"For all the players leaving us this summer, including the players that have been on loan with us, we thank them for their time with us and wish them well in their future football journeys."

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:12 - May 8 with 986 viewsCrashBandicoot

Not surprised to see Hornby, Akinde and Dallison leave. Hornby isn't quite good enough for us & L2. Akinde has played well for us but his age was against him & hasn't been the consistent goalscorer we need. Dallison hasn't been consistent enough and his season has been a little stop-start (though tbf to him a lot of it was injury related).

I wonder who our management team are lining up?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:36 - May 8 with 953 viewsbwildered

Urgently require, experienced striker and goalie for starters .

Wonder if the improved offers were good, or sufficient to become free agents ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:40 - May 8 with 950 viewsburnsieespana

Sincerely hope in Chilvers case it means if he does leave we get paid unless of course he goes to the dreaded Scotland.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:10 - May 8 with 928 viewsthrillseeker

The under contract player list looks uninspiring - need signings

Some of the names on U21 released list have surprised me
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:55 - May 8 with 895 viewsburnsieespana

A bit stuck if under contract but suspect big efforts will be made to.move ayers like Greenidge on. Also wonder if Jay,before example has been urged to find another club?
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:44 - May 8 with 829 viewsCrashBandicoot

Contracted players could potentially be loaned out or sold on, though for the most part probably not for massive fees in the latter scenario. It depends on how much DC values them and their ability.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 04:14 - May 9 with 771 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:44 - May 8 by CrashBandicoot

Contracted players could potentially be loaned out or sold on, though for the most part probably not for massive fees in the latter scenario. It depends on how much DC values them and their ability.

There is of course the ‘mutual consent’ option to terminate a contract in lieu of a signing fee if the ‘surplus to requirements’ receive offers from elsewhere. No big surprises for me really, and I can imagine the talk with big John would have been a particularly tough one for the Cowleys. If Noah hasn’t immediately accepted an offer, that presumably means there’s only a year on the table. Will he stay at his home club for the start of the Cowley revolution or take two years (which I’m sure he’ll get) elsewhere in League 2? Personally I hope he stays, along with the rest under offer.

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 08:28 - May 9 with 731 viewsburnsieespana

Does not Chilvers offer have to be better than his previous deal for us to receive compensation if he departs and the term is part of the deal, is it not?
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:04 - May 9 with 719 viewsSparkfilmsTV

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:32 - Apr 30 by SparkfilmsTV

Yassine En-Neyah?????????

WTF?

Unless l am missing something here En-Neyah appears to be invisible.

Either way, this was a very unusual acquisition.

Plenty of work still to do clearing the decks of players who are unlikely to feature and disturbing to hear that several others under contract may have fitness issues unrelated to football.

The project as l see it ( and likely what D&C will be aiming for ) is to make the top seven next season as a minimum requirement.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:32 - May 9 with 710 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:10 - May 8 by thrillseeker

The under contract player list looks uninspiring - need signings

Some of the names on U21 released list have surprised me

The retained list would give us a decent starting XI in my opinion, providing everyone is fit of course.

Smith

Egbo Kelleher Hall Iandolo

Fevrier Mingi Read Edwards

Hopper Tovide

There are a few players you could swap in and out depending on formation and personal preference but, for me, this side should be good enough to be competitive at this level.

With options taken up, new signings and loan signings I'd imagine there's probably at least six players that will be added to the group and you'd expect the majority of them to be challenging for a starting spot. I still believe in this group of players, they just need confidence, momentum and a belief they should be winning football matches.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 12:45 - May 14 with 378 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Can we afford Clarke-Harris? Probably has his sights set a little higher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c0klln90987o

What about Alex Bass for our next goalkeeper?

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=77168&season_id=156

Been on loan at Wimbledon from Sunderland. Danny had him at Portsmouth I believe.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:18 - May 14 with 326 viewsCrashBandicoot

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 12:45 - May 14 by RSCOSWORTH

Can we afford Clarke-Harris? Probably has his sights set a little higher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c0klln90987o

What about Alex Bass for our next goalkeeper?

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=77168&season_id=156

Been on loan at Wimbledon from Sunderland. Danny had him at Portsmouth I believe.

Both would be very good additions I imagine. I don't know if AFCW would have first refusal on Bass though. Harris seems a very capable striker but would he come down to L2 level or would he still want to try L1?

Saying that, if we show ambition then who knows?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024