Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Stephens 12:51 - May 28 with 1037 viewsSouthamptonfan

Personally, I love the guy. He genuinely loves this club, he always gives his all for the shirt and he scraps. He doesn't sulk or look miserable like Adams does at times or Sulemana. But I accept there are question marks over his ability in the Premier League. He can make mistakes but haven't all the players? I think he should definitely be a part of our squad.

Poll: Who are you voting for?

Jack Stephens on 12:56 - May 28 with 1014 viewsCity_boy

Ah, the good old Jack Stephens debate. I am going to abstain, this time round. My views haven't changed.
Jack Stephens on 13:00 - May 28 with 987 viewsSonicBoom

He's a perfect Saints player in every way and everything we'd want from a captain.

Other than he's not really quite good enough...
Jack Stephens on 13:08 - May 28 with 975 viewsfelly1

Wonder if we'll be tempted to give ABK another go as he looked too quality on occasions last season.
Definitely need to bring in another CB otherwise.
Like you I've always had a soft spot for Stephens but we certainly can't be relying on him, we need better quality and he can compete for a place or be a back up guy.
Jack Stephens on 09:54 - May 29 with 740 viewsNumber_58

It was interesting that while everyone was else was charging off down the pitch to celebrate with the fans, Jack Stephens and KWP had the humility to console the distraught Leeds players. The shot of Jack with the Leeds guy reminded me of the iconic Freddie Flintoff/Brett Lee photo from the 2005 Ashes.
Jack plays some stupid passes (and did so twice in the first few minutes on Sunday) but what he brings to the team often outweighs the odd mistake. Trouble is, most people don't see the good things and only pick up on the bad. No-one will ever know if we would have gone up without the much maligned 'shoehorning of Jack Stephens'. Indeed, maybe we would have even gone up automatically. But by hook or by crook we did go up, and so Russell Martin's decision has been vindicated. I doubt if Jack will change, and no doubt his odd mistake will be capitalised even more in the Premier League next season, but I hope that everyone might cut him a bit of slack if and when it does.
Jack Stephens on 15:04 - May 29 with 650 viewsTripleNiemi

Jack Stephens on 13:00 - May 28 by SonicBoom

He's a perfect Saints player in every way and everything we'd want from a captain.

Other than he's not really quite good enough...

Pretty much agree with this.

I wonder if in say fifteen to twenty years time whether people will be printing and applying ‘Panini’ style footy stickers of Jack everywhere around the Country ala Frannie. Whilst Fran was through and through Saints (and hailed as a legend in some quarters) he too was not really known for his skills on the ball…..
[Post edited 29 May 15:07]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Jack Stephens on 16:22 - May 29 with 592 viewssaints__fan__73

Fine as a 4th choice CB to be used in cup games or in the event of injuries.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Jack Stephens on 09:31 - May 30 with 450 viewssaint901

Sometimes teams need a player who may not be the best technically, tactically etc but whose presence lifts the other players.

Certainly at amateur level where abilities are often way apart, having that unifying type of player who will run for 90 minutes, tackle, encourage, cajole and generally drive the team is a valuable asset.

I would say that the same applies in the professional leagues but with diminishing importance as the leagues get "better".

Jack is that sort of player and when the team stuttered toward the last few games in the season, I can see why RM wanted him on the pitch. He wanted somebody who believed where others may doubt.

Most Saints CB's over the years have been good for at least one error in top division games. The present crop are no different. It is therefore perhaps unfair to point out JS errors and not those of Bednarek and THB and others. Even KWP (who I think is perhaps our best player) is prone to error and his positioning sometimes is truly shocking.

The question really is can you carry a player in the PL who is perhaps - on occasion - a little less effective than others? Can you devise a system in which that player can perform the role above without reducing the overall quality of the team?

JS may well find himself compromised by being played out of position. Not good enough for either CB or midfield.

I think RM was looking at how John Stones plays that sort of advanced CB position. Stone is lucky in having such good players around him and usually facing teams who are scared of being too adventurous. We do not have that luxury.

My overall view is that if JS is first on the team sheet then we need a different tactical system.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024