Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Trivia 09:14 - Jun 21 with 550 viewsRSCOSWORTH

As we don't have much to talk about right now I thought I'd start a summer trivia thread. Please feel free to pose a question, doesn't have to be Col U or football related.

I'll go first...Since we came back into the football league in 1992 how many of the current* 92 football league clubs have been outside of the football league in that time? You can name them if you like.

*By current I mean the 92 that will start the 2024/25 season in the football league.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Summer Trivia on 11:01 - Jun 21 with 519 viewswessex_exile

Crikey, lots I reckon. I'll take a punt on 20.

Without extensive googling:
Lincoln City
Stevenage
Wycombe Wanderers
Leyton Orient
Burton Albion
Fleetwood Town
Stockport County
Wrexham
Crawley Town
Barrow
Harrogate Town
Notts County
Morecambe
Tranmere Rovers
Accrington Stanley
Newport County
Salford City
Grimsby Town?
Chesterfield
Bromley

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Summer Trivia on 12:01 - Jun 21 with 502 viewsTheOldOakTree

Unless I've double counted some, I'm pretty sure there are a remarkable 31 (not including the U's).
Summer Trivia on 12:01 - Jun 21 with 501 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Summer Trivia on 11:01 - Jun 21 by wessex_exile

Lincoln City
Stevenage
Wycombe Wanderers
Leyton Orient
Burton Albion
Fleetwood Town
Stockport County
Wrexham
Crawley Town
Barrow
Harrogate Town
Notts County
Morecambe
Tranmere Rovers
Accrington Stanley
Newport County
Salford City
Grimsby Town?
Chesterfield
Bromley

A pretty solid effort and those 20 are all correct. Still quite a few more though.

Summer Trivia on 12:09 - Jun 21 with 501 viewsTheOldOakTree

Summer Trivia on 11:01 - Jun 21 by wessex_exile

Lincoln City
Stevenage
Wycombe Wanderers
Leyton Orient
Burton Albion
Fleetwood Town
Stockport County
Wrexham
Crawley Town
Barrow
Harrogate Town
Notts County
Morecambe
Tranmere Rovers
Accrington Stanley
Newport County
Salford City
Grimsby Town?
Chesterfield
Bromley

One has been back into the Prem (briefly) and two are going to be in the Championship next year.
Summer Trivia on 12:40 - Jun 21 with 479 viewsbwildered

Take a pot at

Cambridge
Scunny
Oldham

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Summer Trivia on 12:44 - Jun 21 with 468 viewsMoor_Pinot

Summer Trivia on 12:40 - Jun 21 by bwildered

Take a pot at

Cambridge
Scunny
Oldham

Exeter, Mansfield, Bristol Rovers, Luton?

Moor Pinot

Summer Trivia on 13:00 - Jun 21 with 459 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Summer Trivia on 12:01 - Jun 21 by TheOldOakTree

Unless I've double counted some, I'm pretty sure there are a remarkable 31 (not including the U's).

31 is spot on. Well played sir. I was surprised at the number myself. Of those 31 only Chesterfield and Bromley finished below us last season!

Summer Trivia on 13:01 - Jun 21 with 458 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Summer Trivia on 12:40 - Jun 21 by bwildered

Take a pot at

Cambridge
Scunny
Oldham

Cambridge is correct but Scunthorpe and Oldham both remain outside of the football league currently.

Login to get fewer ads

Summer Trivia on 13:03 - Jun 21 with 457 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Summer Trivia on 12:44 - Jun 21 by Moor_Pinot

Exeter, Mansfield, Bristol Rovers, Luton?

All four of these have played outside of the football league since 1992. Bristol Rovers did just the one season but the other three all did at least five.

Summer Trivia on 13:24 - Jun 21 with 452 viewsTheOldOakTree

Summer Trivia on 13:03 - Jun 21 by RSCOSWORTH

All four of these have played outside of the football league since 1992. Bristol Rovers did just the one season but the other three all did at least five.

In addition to Luton there will be one more Championship club that were non-league for about 4 years.

Clue:-

Three sides...... you've only got three sides.........

(There are 32 really if you count the Dongs who just magically appeared into the league in 2004)
Summer Trivia on 19:11 - Jun 21 with 410 viewswessex_exile

Summer Trivia on 13:24 - Jun 21 by TheOldOakTree

In addition to Luton there will be one more Championship club that were non-league for about 4 years.

Clue:-

Three sides...... you've only got three sides.........

(There are 32 really if you count the Dongs who just magically appeared into the league in 2004)

That'll be Poxford then, or one half of Thames Valley Royals if Bouncing Bob had his way.

MK Dongs don't count - they should have started in non-league, but thanks to the @rseholes at the FA, as you say, magically didn't.

Up the U's

Summer Trivia on 19:17 - Jun 21 with 408 viewswessex_exile

Okay, this one is probably an easy one, and shamelessly nicked from a fellow U's fan's trivia questions.

Who appeared in goal when Bobby Moore scored his last televised goal. To keep things interesting, you need all three answers.

Up the U's

Summer Trivia on 20:28 - Jun 21 with 402 viewsTheOldOakTree

Summer Trivia on 19:17 - Jun 21 by wessex_exile

Okay, this one is probably an easy one, and shamelessly nicked from a fellow U's fan's trivia questions.

Who appeared in goal when Bobby Moore scored his last televised goal. To keep things interesting, you need all three answers.

Is this some trick question to do with the film Escape to Victory?

If it was, I think the shortarse farmer Laurie Sivell was the German keeper?

Sylvester Stallone was the other keeper, with Paul Cooper as a stunt double?

PS the remainder of the 31 were

Cheltenham
AFC Wimbledon
Carlisle
Shrewsbury
Doncaster
[Post edited 21 Jun 20:36]
Summer Trivia on 21:19 - Jun 21 with 366 viewswessex_exile

Summer Trivia on 20:28 - Jun 21 by TheOldOakTree

Is this some trick question to do with the film Escape to Victory?

If it was, I think the shortarse farmer Laurie Sivell was the German keeper?

Sylvester Stallone was the other keeper, with Paul Cooper as a stunt double?

PS the remainder of the 31 were

Cheltenham
AFC Wimbledon
Carlisle
Shrewsbury
Doncaster
[Post edited 21 Jun 20:36]

Correct - Paul Cooper was the curve ball, most don't know he was Sly's 'body double' for some of the goal-keeping scenes.

Up the U's

Summer Trivia on 21:21 - Jun 21 with 363 viewsTheOldOakTree

I think, in his day, Paul Cooper was the shortest top flight goalkeeper and his number 2 Sivell was the shortest in the whole league. Both of them far too good for the binners.

They used to say Cooper had the longest kick of any goalkeeper…....because he could reach Brazil.

I was at poorman road when Alan Brazil scored all 5 against the Saints. Two of them straight from the boot of Cooper, it was quite impressive.

I know…..

I’m rightfully ashamed, but in my defense, it was an evening game, I worked in Ipswich and I went along with a farmers supporting female I was hoping to get off with (on reflection, I’m not sure sleeping with the enemy makes it less of a crime).
Summer Trivia on 22:19 - Jun 21 with 344 viewswessex_exile

Summer Trivia on 21:21 - Jun 21 by TheOldOakTree

I think, in his day, Paul Cooper was the shortest top flight goalkeeper and his number 2 Sivell was the shortest in the whole league. Both of them far too good for the binners.

They used to say Cooper had the longest kick of any goalkeeper…....because he could reach Brazil.

I was at poorman road when Alan Brazil scored all 5 against the Saints. Two of them straight from the boot of Cooper, it was quite impressive.

I know…..

I’m rightfully ashamed, but in my defense, it was an evening game, I worked in Ipswich and I went along with a farmers supporting female I was hoping to get off with (on reflection, I’m not sure sleeping with the enemy makes it less of a crime).

He was well cast for the film. Stallone is only 5'7" (8" depending what you read), Cooper was only 5cm taller, but you're right, a very good goalkeeper.

Up the U's

Summer Trivia on 08:15 - Jun 22 with 320 viewswessex_exile

Okay, a nice easy start to the weekend, what do Danny Cowley, Marc Tierney, Bobby Hunt, Tony English, Alan Buck and KK Opara all have in common?
[Post edited 22 Jun 8:17]

Up the U's

Summer Trivia on 09:33 - Jun 22 with 299 viewsTheOldOakTree

Summer Trivia on 08:15 - Jun 22 by wessex_exile

Okay, a nice easy start to the weekend, what do Danny Cowley, Marc Tierney, Bobby Hunt, Tony English, Alan Buck and KK Opara all have in common?
[Post edited 22 Jun 8:17]

Guessing they all had brothers that were also footballers?
Summer Trivia on 18:48 - Jun 22 with 249 viewswessex_exile

Summer Trivia on 09:33 - Jun 22 by TheOldOakTree

Guessing they all had brothers that were also footballers?

Yes, but not quite the answer I was looking for.

Up the U's

Summer Trivia on 18:09 - Jun 23 with 193 viewswessex_exile

Summer Trivia on 18:48 - Jun 22 by wessex_exile

Yes, but not quite the answer I was looking for.

They all played and/or worked for Colchester United, and had brothers who played and/or worked for Colchester United.

Up the U's

Summer Trivia on 14:09 - Jun 24 with 146 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Summer Trivia on 21:21 - Jun 21 by TheOldOakTree

I know…..

Reasons to watch Ipswich number 22...

Summer Trivia on 14:10 - Jun 24 with 144 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Summer Trivia on 18:09 - Jun 23 by wessex_exile

They all played and/or worked for Colchester United, and had brothers who played and/or worked for Colchester United.

Who were the other brothers and what did they all do?

Summer Trivia on 14:40 - Jun 24 with 138 viewsTheOldOakTree

Summer Trivia on 14:09 - Jun 24 by RSCOSWORTH

Reasons to watch Ipswich number 22...

Ouch!

There are, of course, no acceptable excuses. I am a very bad person.

I’m ashamed to admit that my sins are actually far worse. Brazil was not the only person to score that night and I ended up marrying the female in question and returned to the scene of the crime numerous times. It really was like marrying in to the Adams Family.

The fact that the she-devil occasionally accompanied me to see the U’s is of little consolation.

Thankfully, the union from hell was short lived and a messy split only served to heighten my deep hatred of the binners, that has now lasted for well over 30 years.

The scars have healed but the shame remains.
Summer Trivia on 19:14 - Jun 24 with 112 viewswessex_exile

Summer Trivia on 14:10 - Jun 24 by RSCOSWORTH

Who were the other brothers and what did they all do?

Since you ask, for Danny Cowley, Marc Tierney, Bobby Hunt, Tony English, Alan Buck and KK Opara in order.

Nicky Cowley - believe he's currently Assistant Head Coach
Paul Tierney - full back like his brother, didn't overlap and only with us for a month on loan.
Billy Hunt - defender, only played one game for the U's (against Southend), five years before Bobby joined the U's.
Tommy English - forward, joined the U's a few months after brother Tony, and spent four seasons appearing regular with his brother.
David Buck - wing half, and not just brother but twin of goalkeeper Alan Buck. David only played once for the U's and not alongside Alan. Tragically died early at the relatively tender age of 50.
Lloyd Opara - forward, like his brother, but didn't overlap with KK who had already been booted by Whitton after what is described as "an act of misconduct".

Up the U's

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024