Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane 13:44 - Aug 9 with 4808 viewsdurham_exile

After survival Saturday on 27 April when a 1-1 draw against Crewe secured another season in League Two with a spectacular finish from Noah Chilvers, it has been a very busy Summer transfer window for the Cowley brothers with 11 new signings.

Chilvers himself has taken the high road to Ross County and started with an 88th minute substitution appearance. So, we move on, and arguably the best player at the club Arthur Read has stayed to help fire the U’s to promotion this season.

I have to say that I am very optimistic about the forthcoming season. Fellow boarders will suggest that I say this every season, but it is the quality of signings that have been brought in that give rise to this optimism. DC now has a squad to not only retain our status as a League club but also to challenge within the top seven.

There has also been a significant change in viewing opportunities this season. Apart from actually being there live, the advent of Sky Sports + will enable supporters to watch more than 20 of their games this season (providing they subscribe to the full sports package). IFollow is also available to subscribers.

It also means that our first game at Plough Lane will be shown live together with the other 35 EFL games this weekend. Of course, a magnificent 1100+ of the faithful will be travelling to see our new look Colchester United on Saturday afternoon. Such is the enthusiasm for the Cowley project.

So, our squad with numbers looks like this:

Goalkeepers
1 Matt Macey
12 Tom Smith

Defenders

3 Ellis Iandolo
4 Fiacre Kelleher
5 Ben Goodliffe
6 Tom Flanagan (Club Captain)
18 Mandela Egbo
19 Rob Hunt
22 William Greenidge
40 Frankie Terry

Midfield
7 Harry Anderson
10 Jack Payne
16 Arthur Read
21 Owura Edwards
27 Matt Jay
30 Alex Woodyard
8 Teddy Bishop
29 Conor Wilkinson

Strikers

9 Samson Tovide
11 John-Kymani Gordon
31 Oscar Thorn
33 Lyle Taylor
48 Bradley Ihionvien

Now of course with such an upheaval at the club involving playing staff and the possibility of a couple more signings boarders will be looking forward to seeing DC’s first starting XI on Saturday afternoon.

We know that Matt Macey will be our Number One and that Tom Flanagan is the new Club Captain, but what about the other nine starters.

Options for the back four are strong and it could be argued that Kells and Egbo could start but I think Hunt and Goodliffe will start at the back.

Midfield offers even more choice with Edwards and Jay offering alternatives but I reckon Anderson will start along with Payne, Read and Bishop who offer considerable ability and experience. Conor Wilkinson is likely to be moving on in the near future.

I must admit that I am unsure about Samson Tovide’s fitness and so Bradley Ihionvien together with Lyle Taylor should start as an exciting duo. Hopper and Gordon offer alternatives of course.

Therefore, I believe that DC may start with the following team in a 4,1,3,2 formation:

Macey

Hunt Goodliffe Flanagan Iandolo

Read

Anderson Payne Bishop

Taylor Ihionvien

Subs:
Smith, Kells, Egbo, Edwards, Jay, Gordon, Hopper

Johnnie Jackson will have a strong Wimbledon team at his disposal including our old friends Owen Goodman, Alistair Smith and John Joe O’Toole.

Lyle Taylor will be reunited with one of his former clubs on Saturday and he certainly knows where the goal is. This however should be Bradley’s season and I am confident that he can score 20 goals, the first to do so since Jamie Cureton for the U’s.

My prediction is for a 2-1 Colchester victory with Taylor and Ihionvien on the scoresheet.

The travelling support will be in good form (including Wessex) and I hope that everyone has a safe journey and enjoys the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 9 Aug 13:49]

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:18 - Aug 10 with 1523 viewsCrashBandicoot

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:15 - Aug 10 by durham_exile

Word is that Lyle Taylor is suspended.

Don't know for how many games

The ref should be suspended

By his ankles

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:25 - Aug 10 with 1494 viewsTheOldOakTree

Poor old Ben Goodliffe, he's had a funny old day. Hope he's OK.

Had my doubts about Macey in the first half, we need a decent loanee keeper ASAP.
[Post edited 10 Aug 16:29]
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:29 - Aug 10 with 1485 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:15 - Aug 10 by durham_exile

Word is that Lyle Taylor is suspended.

Don't know for how many games

The ref should be suspended

Another 5-3 on the cards here whilst they all get to know one another I suppose. Be interesting to see how long it will take to meld the new group. Hopefully not too long to cause concerns.
Our first games of the season are often full of goals, 6-3 at Chesterfield's old place, 7-1 at Norwich spring to mind so more goals today wouldn't surprise!

Moor Pinot

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:39 - Aug 10 with 1461 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:29 - Aug 10 by Moor_Pinot

Another 5-3 on the cards here whilst they all get to know one another I suppose. Be interesting to see how long it will take to meld the new group. Hopefully not too long to cause concerns.
Our first games of the season are often full of goals, 6-3 at Chesterfield's old place, 7-1 at Norwich spring to mind so more goals today wouldn't surprise!

I'm absolutely fuming.

The referee has been appalling.

It was never a penalty and Goodliffe was fouled before their fourth goal.

Criminal from the official.

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:47 - Aug 10 with 1441 viewsCrashBandicoot

The referee obv was either bought by AFCW or is completely incompetent at refereeing at this level - I wouldn't even put him in charge of the under 11s.

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:51 - Aug 10 with 1437 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:47 - Aug 10 by CrashBandicoot

The referee obv was either bought by AFCW or is completely incompetent at refereeing at this level - I wouldn't even put him in charge of the under 11s.

Unfortunately he has cost us the game with his incompetence

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:54 - Aug 10 with 1429 viewsCrashBandicoot

Perhaps he should be reported to the FA or EFL? I hope the AFCW cheats are happy with their 3 points.

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:59 - Aug 10 with 1425 viewsdurham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 16:54 - Aug 10 by CrashBandicoot

Perhaps he should be reported to the FA or EFL? I hope the AFCW cheats are happy with their 3 points.

9 additional minutes.

Definitely do not deserve to lose this.

Sadly our lack of strikers once Ihionvien and Tovide went off had limited our options

Some decent performances though.
4-4 would have been a just result.

Referee simply awful.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 17:28 - Aug 10 with 1390 viewsTheOldOakTree

We should reserve judgement until September, but we didn’t look much like scoring in open play. There’s going to be a big weight on Taylors shoulders and we could do with some home wins to get our confidence up.

Edwards looked a different class when he came on.

Looking at the replays, our defense were AWOL for their first goal, the cross should never have come back in, just basic stuff really. I don’t think Wimbledon were that good, they were lucky, but they just coasted in the second half.

It’s a funny old game, last season Etherington lost 5-3 here after winning 5 in 15, today DC looses by the same margin after 4 wins in 21. Etherington was slated all second half and lost his job.

It’s only one game, but there’s a lot to do. There was very little sign that collectively these players are better than last years, but at least they looked up for it.
[Post edited 10 Aug 17:29]
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 17:39 - Aug 10 with 1371 viewsfranksic1988

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 17:28 - Aug 10 by TheOldOakTree

We should reserve judgement until September, but we didn’t look much like scoring in open play. There’s going to be a big weight on Taylors shoulders and we could do with some home wins to get our confidence up.

Edwards looked a different class when he came on.

Looking at the replays, our defense were AWOL for their first goal, the cross should never have come back in, just basic stuff really. I don’t think Wimbledon were that good, they were lucky, but they just coasted in the second half.

It’s a funny old game, last season Etherington lost 5-3 here after winning 5 in 15, today DC looses by the same margin after 4 wins in 21. Etherington was slated all second half and lost his job.

It’s only one game, but there’s a lot to do. There was very little sign that collectively these players are better than last years, but at least they looked up for it.
[Post edited 10 Aug 17:29]

I can’t see why we are improving this season when we had the same management for half a season that did nothing ( nearly got us relegated ) everyone slagged etherington… yes he was out of his depth and wasn’t good enough. But in all honesty his winning run kept us up.

DC and NC didn’t have a good half season last season ( putting it mildly ) probably with better players. It’s only one game so we can’t read to much into it. But it’s safe to say we picked up where we left off last season.

Tried getting a bet that DC and NC will be sacked by Xmas but can’t find the odds.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 08:13 - Aug 11 with 1075 viewsBLACKCAT

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 17:39 - Aug 10 by franksic1988

I can’t see why we are improving this season when we had the same management for half a season that did nothing ( nearly got us relegated ) everyone slagged etherington… yes he was out of his depth and wasn’t good enough. But in all honesty his winning run kept us up.

DC and NC didn’t have a good half season last season ( putting it mildly ) probably with better players. It’s only one game so we can’t read to much into it. But it’s safe to say we picked up where we left off last season.

Tried getting a bet that DC and NC will be sacked by Xmas but can’t find the odds.

A very disappointing result, especially after such a good start. But it seems Colchester received neither the rub of the green nor the blow of the ref's whistle. I trust Goodliffe won't be out for long as dentistry in 2024 is a world away from the days of Joe Jordan.

If you get your bet on and win spare a thought for me as I'll be in the poor house. I retain my faith in the brothers.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 08:15 - Aug 11 with 1072 viewsTheOldOakTree

If we knew that Taylor wasn’t playing, and that we would have two youngsters up front, why wouldn’t you have Conor Wilkinson on the bench? His record is as good as anyone we’ve got. He would have everything to prove. Presumably we are still paying his wages?

DC is in danger of tying his own rope if his ‘old boys’ don’t perform.

We need another keeper, if only as a credible number 2 to keep Macey on his toes.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 08:16 - Aug 11 with 1070 viewsdurham_exile

DC has confirmed that Taylor has a calf injury.

I thought that I would feel better about the defeat this morning but if anything I feel even more annoyed.

Goodliffe's two goals deservedly gave us the lead and we looked strong inventive and creative.

Wimbledon got lucky with their opening goal and the clueless referee missed the handball prior to their equaliser and I am mystified as to why he gave handball against Gordon for the penalty that changed the game.

Finally Goodliffe was fouled prior to the fourth goal.

My only moan is that after Tovide and Ihionvien went off we offered very little up front.

Edwards missed a sitter of course but the side deserved much credit for their great start to proceedings and positive play.

I thought Wimbledon were generally irritable and dirty at times, what was all that pushing our players into the advertising hoardings all about.

Finally the elephant in the room. Their best player was of course Alistair Smith and it is disappointing that he chose not to join us again. Still we are where we are!

We go again against Reading but we still need another striker and another midfield player.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 08:27 - Aug 11 with 1059 viewsWitham

Sometimes management is about taking early decisions and that was lacking yesterday. The first three goals came from inadequate cover of their number 3 who we gave the freedom of the town to. If we could see it surely our management could.
That said Wimbledon played a disruptive style of football that went unpunished until late into injury time, holding our players at every opportunity.
The excitement of starting with 3 strikers was palpable but our goals were scored by a defender, and chasing the game in the second half we only had one shot on goal.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 09:55 - Aug 11 with 999 viewsAddy

With Taylor injured, Brad only passed fit just before kick off and Samson not fully fit no wonder we struggled.. Why not play Tom Hopper up front and play Samson and Tovide for half the game each. I don't think Wilkinson has been at the club all pre season, he is gone as far as we are concerned, he wasn't happy when he was told he could find another club when he had only been here a few months.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 10:54 - Aug 11 with 926 viewsTheOldOakTree

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 09:55 - Aug 11 by Addy

With Taylor injured, Brad only passed fit just before kick off and Samson not fully fit no wonder we struggled.. Why not play Tom Hopper up front and play Samson and Tovide for half the game each. I don't think Wilkinson has been at the club all pre season, he is gone as far as we are concerned, he wasn't happy when he was told he could find another club when he had only been here a few months.

Ah, another bit of…. What does DC call it “great business for the club”. Pay a perfectly able 29 year old forward to sit at home watching the Olympics, while we get spannered, because our 34 year old replacement doesn't even start the season. Just to put that into context, Rooney was on the scrapheap at 34.

So far it’s, dodgy ref, they played nasty and we had injuries. We’ve only played one game!!!!!. Oh and I forgot, ‘it will take time for the side to gel’ (which is why getting rid of nearly all of your squad in one go is a tad risky).

I feel much happier with that, because I was starting to think we’d let loads of good players go, signed a crock of shite, still can’t do basic defending, our forwards and midfielders never looked like scoring and we’ve got a manager that full of bullshit and never has a Plan B (that works).
[Post edited 11 Aug 11:20]
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 11:26 - Aug 11 with 906 viewsTheOldOakTree

One other thing, I appreciate that it was a dream start to the season, but what was Goodliffe doing loitering at the far post in the first minute of the game?

I'm assuming that it was a brilliant tactic, to catch them on the hop and it worked a treat, but if it had gone wrong, it would have taken some explaining?
[Post edited 11 Aug 11:28]
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 13:46 - Aug 11 with 838 viewsfranksic1988

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 10:54 - Aug 11 by TheOldOakTree

Ah, another bit of…. What does DC call it “great business for the club”. Pay a perfectly able 29 year old forward to sit at home watching the Olympics, while we get spannered, because our 34 year old replacement doesn't even start the season. Just to put that into context, Rooney was on the scrapheap at 34.

So far it’s, dodgy ref, they played nasty and we had injuries. We’ve only played one game!!!!!. Oh and I forgot, ‘it will take time for the side to gel’ (which is why getting rid of nearly all of your squad in one go is a tad risky).

I feel much happier with that, because I was starting to think we’d let loads of good players go, signed a crock of shite, still can’t do basic defending, our forwards and midfielders never looked like scoring and we’ve got a manager that full of bullshit and never has a Plan B (that works).
[Post edited 11 Aug 11:20]

Wilkinson 100% has upset him. It’s personal thing. There is no way someone playing in the Scottish prem couldn’t make out bench…

Like you say it’s already a repeat of last season. That interview could have been given April this year.

Every club has these issues Injuries, bad ref decisions… we just have to use them as excuses to convince us that we know what we are doing. People that actually know what they’re doing don’t make excuses they get results.

We won’t improve much this season. As we got the same management and on paper a worse team / squad.We was making excuses but most of our sold players went to higher leagues.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:52 - Aug 11 with 815 viewsBLACKCAT

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 13:46 - Aug 11 by franksic1988

Wilkinson 100% has upset him. It’s personal thing. There is no way someone playing in the Scottish prem couldn’t make out bench…

Like you say it’s already a repeat of last season. That interview could have been given April this year.

Every club has these issues Injuries, bad ref decisions… we just have to use them as excuses to convince us that we know what we are doing. People that actually know what they’re doing don’t make excuses they get results.

We won’t improve much this season. As we got the same management and on paper a worse team / squad.We was making excuses but most of our sold players went to higher leagues.

It's one match! If the brothers lead the team to four wins in the first twenty matches this season as they did in the twenty matches at the end of last season questions will quite rightly be asked; and your bet might well come up if you're able to get it placed.

But I'm expecting a much brighter next few months. Maybe I'm wrong. All managers lose their sparkle sooner or later and perhaps that special something the Cowleys had that made them successful everywhere until Pompey has disappeared. But I don't think so.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:12 - Aug 11 with 796 viewsTheOldOakTree

I know he’s gone, I know it’s only one game, I know I’m negative, blah, blah, blah

…but I’m Colchester born and bred and it f-ing hurts.

I have just seen Stockport’s second goal made by Jayden.

Did we see anything even half that skilful from anyone yesterday, during 80 minutes of utter shite?

….and we have to listen to shit from DC saying that it was good business selling him.

I am f-ing seething.

I would just add that, after tying half their defence in knots, his inch perfect cross was with his right foot. He is of course left footed.
[Post edited 11 Aug 16:15]
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:55 - Aug 11 with 769 viewsfranksic1988

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 15:12 - Aug 11 by TheOldOakTree

I know he’s gone, I know it’s only one game, I know I’m negative, blah, blah, blah

…but I’m Colchester born and bred and it f-ing hurts.

I have just seen Stockport’s second goal made by Jayden.

Did we see anything even half that skilful from anyone yesterday, during 80 minutes of utter shite?

….and we have to listen to shit from DC saying that it was good business selling him.

I am f-ing seething.

I would just add that, after tying half their defence in knots, his inch perfect cross was with his right foot. He is of course left footed.
[Post edited 11 Aug 16:15]

It’s irrelevant as DC wouldn’t know how to get the best out of him. I mean look at the players we had last season… they couldn’t string 2 balls together most games… We should have enough to get by and scrape through but the deluded ones saying plays off I highly doubt. How would other managers of faired if they was given the backing of DC and NC ! Let’s be honest mid table would be a really good achievement with the current coaches and players…. The season will only get harder once we start getting injured and the old boys bodies start to break up.
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 11:37 - Aug 12 with 532 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 17:39 - Aug 10 by franksic1988

It's almost like you want them to fail...

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 13:04 - Aug 12 with 489 viewsgerry_us

On a more positive note, when did we last score two goals in the first ten minutes of the season and away from home?
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 13:06 - Aug 12 with 489 viewsgerry_us

Well?
[Post edited 12 Aug 13:07]
Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 14:11 - Aug 12 with 420 viewsfranksic1988

Super new U's to start with impressive win at Plough Lane on 11:37 - Aug 12 by RSCOSWORTH

It's almost like you want them to fail...

No I don’t. I’ve always said they come across as nice guys… only problem is most fans are being led down a blind alley… they’re not going to be the shining light that saves our club. They’re ideal for this season to stabilise ( keep us out of relegation zone ) but we won’t push on after that. I don’t think we will get relegated this season…. But I also think with Danny and Nicky we have a rocket launcher when it’s more like a pea shooter.

We can’t afford to rest on our laurels. Most of the fans when they got announced including me in January never had visions of it ending how it did last game of the season ( AGAIN )
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024