Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion 20:16 - Sep 9 with 9183 viewsBanned4ever

Cameron to apologise to families of Hillsborough victims on day unseen files will be released

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-cameron-to-apologise-to-hillsborough-
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 18:19 - Sep 10 with 1378 viewsBartRowou

FOReST fans have their own unique view of what happened inside and outside Hillsborough, but many of their testimonies were dismissed.

http://www.forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21890&pos

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 19:49 - Sep 10 with 1334 viewsBobbyjoe

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 12:39 - Sep 10 by Banned4ever

How, about destroying whole, communities and peoples lively hoods
Miners,metal, workers and shipyards.

Selling, off cheap,BT,Gas/electric,Rail,netwoks, and now these companies are racking in big prophets and paying mega bonus to directors-and shareholders
While still being heavy, subsidised by the government.

3million, unemployed.

And, manufacturing A war with Argentina

No, the government (not hers) manufactured a war with Iraq. Argentina had real planes, ships and stuff, not imaginary ones, and used them to invade British territory. I'm sure you'd have defended her to the hilt had she pre-emptively attacked Argentina!
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 19:55 - Sep 10 with 1328 viewsBirchy915

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 16:48 - Sep 10 by Banned4ever

Birchy,like, I said when you look at, companies That are now in private, sector

There still being, subsidised

When it was one industry - British Rail - it was subsidised to the tune of a billion to a billion-and-a-half in today's money and at the moment it's getting four billion pounds of taxpayers' money"
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

That will always be the case, rail can't ever hope to function by itself simply because only urban tracks are used frequently enough, all the rural tracks would end up disused.
That subsidy keeps the rural tracks open and ultimately is a boost to the economies of rural places, it would be impossible to measure whether keeping those lines open is worth 4 billion or not.
This is a very different issue to the coal miners strike, coal is not part of the infrastructure, our coal was more expensive, plus we had to subsidise it, it made better economic sense to close the mines and import coal, the problem was that the unions were not prepared to let go.
And the age old line "It would be cheaper than having all those workers on the dole" is complete rubbish, if you look at a long term model, people who lose their jobs eventually find new ones, hard working people don't become benefit scroungers over night, the coal however, remains cheap!
If I might modify what I said in my last post, you can subsidise a company if you get something of value out of it, you cant subsidise a company that gives you nothing.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 20:05 - Sep 10 with 1315 viewsdribdrab

Pretty much disagree with everything BannedForever has said so far.
Well those bits I could decipher.

I have never agreed with the government propping up national industries and losing money in the process; I didn't see the point in maintaining a coal industry when it could be imported cheaper than it could be mined (other than the obvious ethical issue).

However there is something in that post about the rail industry.

I don't know whether the figures are correct but I have certainly heard elsewhere that the privatised rail industry costs us more than than the nationalised industry did (in current financial worth). This is the only instance where I could be convinced that there is any merit in a nationalised industry. We can't do without a rail network, if we need to pay for it why not do it in such a way that the country benefits, rather than shareholders and overpaid executives?
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 21:20 - Sep 10 with 1276 viewspioneer

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 20:05 - Sep 10 by dribdrab

Pretty much disagree with everything BannedForever has said so far.
Well those bits I could decipher.

I have never agreed with the government propping up national industries and losing money in the process; I didn't see the point in maintaining a coal industry when it could be imported cheaper than it could be mined (other than the obvious ethical issue).

However there is something in that post about the rail industry.

I don't know whether the figures are correct but I have certainly heard elsewhere that the privatised rail industry costs us more than than the nationalised industry did (in current financial worth). This is the only instance where I could be convinced that there is any merit in a nationalised industry. We can't do without a rail network, if we need to pay for it why not do it in such a way that the country benefits, rather than shareholders and overpaid executives?

the answer to your question is "Richard Branson' - is he a large Tory benefactor or not?

Next time you see a premiership game on TV look at all those buggers swigging back the booze in the private boxes - all paid for in part by the government (ie me and you) because of the corporate welfare culture.

Railways are natural monopolies which cannot be run efficienctly by a private sector - they were privatised for no other reason than Thatcher wanted to redistribute wealth to her chums (who never did anything to earn it)- no matter what that meant to the customer.
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 22:53 - Sep 10 with 1254 viewsdribdrab

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 21:20 - Sep 10 by pioneer

the answer to your question is "Richard Branson' - is he a large Tory benefactor or not?

Next time you see a premiership game on TV look at all those buggers swigging back the booze in the private boxes - all paid for in part by the government (ie me and you) because of the corporate welfare culture.

Railways are natural monopolies which cannot be run efficienctly by a private sector - they were privatised for no other reason than Thatcher wanted to redistribute wealth to her chums (who never did anything to earn it)- no matter what that meant to the customer.

I'm not sure I agree with your points.
Whilst the railways might be seen as a monopoly, they clearly can be run by the private sector, indeed the private sector built them. The question is whether there is any merit in having the private sector do a job if it can be done more cheaply in the public sector? I'm not sure there is.

As for corporate welfare, I think that is more of an American import than anything to do with government. Clearly a degree of mutual back-scratching goes on between those in power and those with vested interests.
You might call it corruption but then again any of us might also use similar tactics in our daily jobs, the difference being that, in that instance , you would call it networking rather than corruption.

I suspect somebody with Richard Branson's acumen would contribute to the coffers of the government of the day rather than a political party. He seems more pragmatic than political, and although he backed the Tories at the last election he has frequently criticised them since.
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 00:27 - Sep 11 with 1233 viewsmizfit

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 10:56 - Sep 10 by ceme_ender

Shut up you fu-cking bell end, i think they have every right to be quite angry about the completely unneccessary loss of life. You don't expect to go to a game of football with your family and for your two daughters not to come home alive, or your son or husband. People travel to football without tickets, always have done and always will. The police would have been expecting this and should have been able to control this outside of the ground.
The people that died were completely innocent football fans like ourselves. What gives you the right to pass judgement like that. How would you feel you heartless c.unt.

want a tissue?
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 01:27 - Sep 11 with 1222 viewsBirchy915

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 22:53 - Sep 10 by dribdrab

I'm not sure I agree with your points.
Whilst the railways might be seen as a monopoly, they clearly can be run by the private sector, indeed the private sector built them. The question is whether there is any merit in having the private sector do a job if it can be done more cheaply in the public sector? I'm not sure there is.

As for corporate welfare, I think that is more of an American import than anything to do with government. Clearly a degree of mutual back-scratching goes on between those in power and those with vested interests.
You might call it corruption but then again any of us might also use similar tactics in our daily jobs, the difference being that, in that instance , you would call it networking rather than corruption.

I suspect somebody with Richard Branson's acumen would contribute to the coffers of the government of the day rather than a political party. He seems more pragmatic than political, and although he backed the Tories at the last election he has frequently criticised them since.

We have to prop it up whoever runs it, splitting rail into urban and rural may be a solution, the urban side of it could be turned into a business and therefore competition is good, if sold on short term leases instead of outright as is currently the case.
I would support rural nationalisation, those lines simply cannot support themselves and may as well be government run.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Login to get fewer ads

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 09:13 - Sep 11 with 1191 viewsBanned4ever

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 01:27 - Sep 11 by Birchy915

We have to prop it up whoever runs it, splitting rail into urban and rural may be a solution, the urban side of it could be turned into a business and therefore competition is good, if sold on short term leases instead of outright as is currently the case.
I would support rural nationalisation, those lines simply cannot support themselves and may as well be government run.

While these companies, and shareholders are being subsidised by Taxes
The customers are paying fare increases,upto-40%

Madness
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion (n/t) on 11:39 - Sep 11 with 1165 views49thseason

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 09:13 - Sep 11 by Banned4ever

Madness

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 16:20 - Sep 11 with 1121 viewsfirgrovedale51

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 16:01 - Sep 10 by MoonyDale

Or just maybe the Liverpool fans without tickets should have stayed out of the ground instead of forcing through turnstiles and climbing gates, Cock....

İ am not saying fans were blameless but caused the deaths was the sudden rush because the gates were opened even after an experıenced South Yorkshire police sergeant advised against it . The S Y P dropped a major bollock and should own up to the fact .
Unless you think you know better
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 17:29 - Sep 11 with 1098 viewsblackpoolcol

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 09:13 - Sep 11 by Banned4ever

Madness

British Rail disappeared in 1994, Blair came to power the next election - what did the Labour party do to re-nationalise the railways, nowt, zero, zip.

Keeping it in simple terms Labour maxed our the countries "credit card" in the 70s and it took the selling of our national assets to pay off the debt to a "manageable amount". We then got Labour back in and guess what, country is maxed out again and now, with nothing left to sell we get cuts cuts and more cuts.

My biggest fear is that Labour will get back in next time and destroy the bit of work that has been done to try to pay off the debts and just put us more in the kaka. Labour is like my ex, give it £1 and it spends £1.50

And finally, Thatcher was far from perfect but at least on the international stage she was listened to rather than the no marks that we have had for "leaders" since.

With my little stick of Blackpool Rock, along the promenade I'll stroll

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 18:09 - Sep 11 with 1076 viewsBanned4ever

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 17:29 - Sep 11 by blackpoolcol

British Rail disappeared in 1994, Blair came to power the next election - what did the Labour party do to re-nationalise the railways, nowt, zero, zip.

Keeping it in simple terms Labour maxed our the countries "credit card" in the 70s and it took the selling of our national assets to pay off the debt to a "manageable amount". We then got Labour back in and guess what, country is maxed out again and now, with nothing left to sell we get cuts cuts and more cuts.

My biggest fear is that Labour will get back in next time and destroy the bit of work that has been done to try to pay off the debts and just put us more in the kaka. Labour is like my ex, give it £1 and it spends £1.50

And finally, Thatcher was far from perfect but at least on the international stage she was listened to rather than the no marks that we have had for "leaders" since.

The, old we have no money line dose not mean anything when your giving it away

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096628/British-foreign-aid-India-tells-
e Prime Minister’s pledge to increase foreign aid by 34 per cent to more than £12billion, even as domestic spending is slashed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2200104/Justine-Greening-Will-PMs-new-fo
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 18:26 - Sep 11 with 1063 viewsmightydale

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 17:29 - Sep 11 by blackpoolcol

well said blackpool col, this country is fcuked thanks to labour again. the way forward in my eyes UKIP or BRITISH FREEDOM PARTY.

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 18:45 - Sep 11 with 1053 viewsMoonyDale

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 16:20 - Sep 11 by firgrovedale51

İ am not saying fans were blameless but caused the deaths was the sudden rush because the gates were opened even after an experıenced South Yorkshire police sergeant advised against it . The S Y P dropped a major bollock and should own up to the fact .
Unless you think you know better

I know what I saw with my own eyes, I saw drunken fans attempting to and succeeding in climbing over into the already full end, I also saw fans being crushed against closed turnstiles and gates, I never said the police didn't make the situation worse as gates were opened, it riles me no end though that after all these years that the fans that I have no doubt added to the disaster that unfolded have consistently failed to shoulder any of the blame, instead of which they have looked to blame anyone other than themselves in part at least.....Many many people both inside and outside of football know this but are to afraid to speak out, the reports that have been hidden for so long will indeed show that the police have to shoulder a great deal of blame for their part in that day, and my first comment wasn't even aimed at this tragedy...It was aimed at the city of Liverpool itself which comes across as sympathy whores, in fact if a cat was run over they would have a memorial service for it....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 19:09 - Sep 11 with 1040 viewsSuddenLad

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 18:45 - Sep 11 by MoonyDale

I know what I saw with my own eyes, I saw drunken fans attempting to and succeeding in climbing over into the already full end, I also saw fans being crushed against closed turnstiles and gates, I never said the police didn't make the situation worse as gates were opened, it riles me no end though that after all these years that the fans that I have no doubt added to the disaster that unfolded have consistently failed to shoulder any of the blame, instead of which they have looked to blame anyone other than themselves in part at least.....Many many people both inside and outside of football know this but are to afraid to speak out, the reports that have been hidden for so long will indeed show that the police have to shoulder a great deal of blame for their part in that day, and my first comment wasn't even aimed at this tragedy...It was aimed at the city of Liverpool itself which comes across as sympathy whores, in fact if a cat was run over they would have a memorial service for it....

You're right of course, but the relatives need to find someone on whom to pin the entire blame. As long as that completely diverts attention away from the Liverpool supporters, of course. They will not rest in their quest.

I don't think people are afraid to speak out, it's just that people with "certain agendas" don't want to listen to any story that contradicts their own entrenched views. The truth is, that all parties present that day must each share the responsibility for what happened.

That may well be uncomfortable to accept for some Liverpudlians but the truth doesn't recognise accents.

Now, after the release of the documents, they will be baying for prosecutions and prison sentences. (Anyone will do - as long as it isn't a Liverpool supporter who was involved in the incident leading to the tragedy). When that doesn't happen - what next ? There's no end to this so-called campaign. Unfortunately, it won't bring one victim back, but it won't stop the obsession.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 19:15 - Sep 11 with 1032 viewsMoonyDale

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 19:09 - Sep 11 by SuddenLad

You're right of course, but the relatives need to find someone on whom to pin the entire blame. As long as that completely diverts attention away from the Liverpool supporters, of course. They will not rest in their quest.

I don't think people are afraid to speak out, it's just that people with "certain agendas" don't want to listen to any story that contradicts their own entrenched views. The truth is, that all parties present that day must each share the responsibility for what happened.

That may well be uncomfortable to accept for some Liverpudlians but the truth doesn't recognise accents.

Now, after the release of the documents, they will be baying for prosecutions and prison sentences. (Anyone will do - as long as it isn't a Liverpool supporter who was involved in the incident leading to the tragedy). When that doesn't happen - what next ? There's no end to this so-called campaign. Unfortunately, it won't bring one victim back, but it won't stop the obsession.

Without doubt the most accurate and sensible post on this thread......

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 23:12 - Sep 11 with 991 viewsdribdrab

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 18:09 - Sep 11 by Banned4ever

The, old we have no money line dose not mean anything when your giving it away

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096628/British-foreign-aid-India-tells-
e Prime Minister’s pledge to increase foreign aid by 34 per cent to more than £12billion, even as domestic spending is slashed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2200104/Justine-Greening-Will-PMs-new-fo

I think this is a simple one to answer.
We are trying to by influence rather than gain it through the projection of force.
It won't be written down anywhere but I would assume that Whitehall mandarins are taking a gamble that money buys loyalty and as we don't seem inclined to maintain our Armed Forces to the required standard it is not much use trying to forge loyalties in the old fashioned way, via armed support.

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 08:11 - Sep 12 with 964 viewsBanned4ever

Trying to buy,infulance?
At a, time when the government are trying to get people of sickness and disable benefits.
They punish them that want to work.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jul/19/disabled-workers-stike-remploy-fac
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 11:18 - Sep 12 with 931 viewsdeezel

although "they want to work" there has to be some commercial viability.

there is a remploy factory next unit to where i work, it closed last month.

the previous year it had a turnover of £69k and made a trading loss, on top of that it received a direct subsidy for staff of just under £500k from the government.

those figures are symptomatic of the majority of remploy units

the factory makes safety wear which is only sold to police authorities, at a time when police authorities are suffering budget cuts they have to buy from remploy when they could get them cheaper elsewhere.

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 11:45 - Sep 12 with 921 viewsBanned4ever

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 11:18 - Sep 12 by deezel

the previous year it had a turnover of £69k and made a trading loss, on top of that it received a direct subsidy for staff of just under £500k from the government.

the factory makes safety wear which is only sold to police authorities, at a time when police authorities are suffering budget cuts they have to buy from remploy when they could get them cheaper elsewhere.

Surly there a, alternative, then throwing then on the dole with little or no chance of gaining employment.

Remloy, offers disabled a better, chose of lifestyle.

When, you add the, figure's, up there alot, less then, other subsidised,firms
and,foreign aid to more than £12billion
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 13:25 - Sep 12 with 888 viewspioneer

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 11:18 - Sep 12 by deezel

Yes sure, made in China no doubt, using 8 year old kids in awful working conditions - so lets lay off all the disabled workers Remploy employ - then they will all be on benefits and that will give you something else to moan about - too many disabled who wont work. All so simple isn't it?
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 14:21 - Sep 12 with 848 viewsD_Alien

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 18:45 - Sep 11 by MoonyDale

It seems the clear evidence of drunken Liverpool fans doing exactly as you describe will no longer count, MoonyDale.

But at least today's statement by the prime minister goes a long way to shining a light on corruption within the police, so if any good comes out of it lets hope we'll see less of a swagger in their steps while they're picking up overtime at the Dale and elsewhere in the future. And maybe even a revision of policing at games in general.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 14:37 - Sep 12 with 832 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Now looking forward to the Heysel inquiry that the Liverpool fans have been clamouring for.....wait a minute...?
One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 16:15 - Sep 12 with 801 viewsMoonyDale

One of the, darkest days in English football has it reached its final conclusion on 14:21 - Sep 12 by D_Alien

It seems the clear evidence of drunken Liverpool fans doing exactly as you describe will no longer count, MoonyDale.

But at least today's statement by the prime minister goes a long way to shining a light on corruption within the police, so if any good comes out of it lets hope we'll see less of a swagger in their steps while they're picking up overtime at the Dale and elsewhere in the future. And maybe even a revision of policing at games in general.

To be honest Dalien I wouldn't have expected any other verdict on the released reports, it matters not that the fans who crashed the gates and turnstiles were the main reasons the gates were opened, if those fans had not done as they did then the disaster that followed would never have taken place, I myself in the past have turned up to ticket games without a ticket, hoping to find one on sale on the day or even just to soak up some of the atmosphere....I have never felt the need to attempt to gain access to the ground by climbing into an already closed end. although as a kid I do remember crawling under the turnstiles at Dale whilst someone went through as I scooted between their legs....Don't remember any full houses at dale though back in those days......

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024