Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Famous Swansea City 19:01 - Nov 3 with 7906 viewsstonedroller

apart from Zeta Jones and Joes Icecream, what is Swansea actually famous for?

and bollox to our 'sandy beaches and the gower' because to be quite frank, they aren't the best, brown/green waters, shite weather, hardly any parking or ease of access to them and on the whole no one has ever heard of them.

Forget the football for a minute and think of what is great about Swansea, there isn't much is there? especially when them tossers up the road make mugs of us.
The Famous Swansea City on 11:28 - Nov 6 with 1539 viewsperchrockjack

Ah comic effect? THAT would explain much then.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Famous Swansea City on 11:36 - Nov 6 with 1535 viewsUxbridge

Only if you've not been paying attention I guess.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Famous Swansea City on 12:02 - Nov 6 with 1521 viewsperchrockjack

the roller seemed to have started this to get me and Andrew at each others throats so its a job well done

The Famous Swansea City on 12:19 - Nov 6 with 1513 viewsmonmouth

The humour, without doubt. It's like nowhere else I've been. I missed it so much I married a source of it and now laugh, a lot.

Reading some of the stuff on this site you wouldn't believe that mind.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Famous Swansea City on 12:21 - Nov 6 with 1509 viewsperchrockjack

My father punched that punched that out of me years ago

The Famous Swansea City on 12:50 - Nov 6 with 1498 viewsUxbridge

The Famous Swansea City on 12:02 - Nov 6 by perchrockjack

the roller seemed to have started this to get me and Andrew at each others throats so its a job well done

You really need to learn not to take everything as an insult. You'd be much happier.

The Famous Swansea City on 12:58 - Nov 6 with 1490 viewsperchrockjack

Thanks all the same Andrew but I only consider advice from those who know me. YOU do not.
I m quite happy with my lot and Ive done OK ; just hope I can stay free of debilitating illness for a reasonable amount of time as I m still very fit and strong for my age-me doc told me that after a recent scare

You know why I have nothing but distain for you so we might as well just call it a draw.
You got lovely wife and great kids and I hope you all continue to have a great life together. I mean that and not meant in a disingenuous way.

The Famous Swansea City on 13:09 - Nov 6 with 1484 viewsUxbridge

The Famous Swansea City on 12:58 - Nov 6 by perchrockjack

Thanks all the same Andrew but I only consider advice from those who know me. YOU do not.
I m quite happy with my lot and Ive done OK ; just hope I can stay free of debilitating illness for a reasonable amount of time as I m still very fit and strong for my age-me doc told me that after a recent scare

You know why I have nothing but distain for you so we might as well just call it a draw.
You got lovely wife and great kids and I hope you all continue to have a great life together. I mean that and not meant in a disingenuous way.

How many times have I met you Rich? Half a dozen at least. Probably more. I think I know you well enough.

Disdain eh? Frankly that's rather pathetic old chap. I'll end it here.

Login to get fewer ads

The Famous Swansea City on 13:11 - Nov 6 with 1482 views_

The Famous Swansea City on 13:09 - Nov 6 by Uxbridge

How many times have I met you Rich? Half a dozen at least. Probably more. I think I know you well enough.

Disdain eh? Frankly that's rather pathetic old chap. I'll end it here.

Oh God, he's off again...

Is that Sylvain Distain by the way?

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

The Famous Swansea City on 13:12 - Nov 6 with 1479 views_

The Famous Swansea City on 13:11 - Nov 6 by _

Oh God, he's off again...

Is that Sylvain Distain by the way?

And Dick, I meant, to clear this up ;-)

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

The Famous Swansea City on 13:15 - Nov 6 with 1477 viewsperchrockjack

No I ll end it here.
When we ve met normally I m with my missus who keeps a close eye on me.
Brief meeting involving alcohol and football matches are not really safe venues to assess anyone.
I got the impression you were a decent family man and stand by that which is the main thing but your e arrogant on here anyway and patronising when its not needed.

I ll probably pm you so as not to give food for those who like this stuff.

The Famous Swansea City on 14:27 - Nov 6 with 1450 viewsstonedroller

The Famous Swansea City on 13:15 - Nov 6 by perchrockjack

No I ll end it here.
When we ve met normally I m with my missus who keeps a close eye on me.
Brief meeting involving alcohol and football matches are not really safe venues to assess anyone.
I got the impression you were a decent family man and stand by that which is the main thing but your e arrogant on here anyway and patronising when its not needed.

I ll probably pm you so as not to give food for those who like this stuff.

so who brought up liverpool? i thought this topic was about swansea
The Famous Swansea City on 14:38 - Nov 6 with 1444 viewsperchrockjack

I did stoney as it was meant for the consumption of those special posters.
Its also been the case Swansea and its possible regeneration should look to that of Liverpool s so in that regard I think I was justified.

But a good OP though-you devil.

Idicky

The Famous Swansea City on 15:17 - Nov 6 with 1435 viewsdeanscfc

Swansea, the city is not so great these days...but still has amazing coastline etc.

But having lived off and on in Cardiff for many years I can say that Cardiff is not great either. Yes, the bay is ok but that is literally only a hundred metres or so that is nice and then you have Bute street, run down docks etc. Queens Arcade is good for retail shopping I suppose but as a bloke, I hate shopping anyway. Plenty of areas which aren't so nice...Ely, Grangetown, Splott etc...many of them quite central.

I prefer Swansea because I find it more relaxing/enyoable....but a night out is better in Cardiff.
The Famous Swansea City on 09:20 - Nov 7 with 1392 viewsDDCH

I have spent a great deal of my working life travelling all over the country and it has helped me really appreciate Swansea a lot more.

OK some of the cities mentioned have bigger city centres, and that usually means shops. Personally I am a typical 'bloke' and don't enjoy shopping. It always surprised me that the lot from up east seem to get such a hard on about how many more clothes shops they have than us.

Town is improving, especially High Street that has been allowed to die over the last 25 years. The new restaurants opening there is a good sign. Wind Street is great if you are a youngster or love the piss, but has brought a centralised 'night life' area which has people from all over coming to for a night out.

The market is a real gem in the centre of town. I used to never see what the fuss was when I was a youngster and used to only ever use it as a short cut, but these days I try and shop locally for much of my fresh produce, and the market is wonderful and cheap too. I am on a day off and have just finished a sausage toastie made with fresh made sausages from Vaughan's butchers in the market. After a chat with the owner he talked me into trying his 'Dragon' sausages.....hell of a kick. That is the kind of old fashioned shop approach the market gives. I don't recall the last time someone is Tesco recommended anything to me. I buy most of my local fresh seasonal veg in the market too.....imported stuff is the same wherever to be honest.

I would personally like to see the council getting a bit more draconian with High Street, and ensure that the buildings are up to scratch and in use. On a recent visit to Brighton with work, I was amazed at the amount of independent small restaurants from every corner of the planet. It would be nice if this area became a place to go for an evening out for people who don't just want to cane the piss.

The coastline in Swansea is amazing, and people really don't make enough use of it. Get on a push bike and go for a ride along the bay, it really is amazing. I do it often especially at sunrise and it makes me remember what a fantastic city this is.

So shop local....get out....support the swans.....what else do you need? Phone pics to back this up :)

[Post edited 7 Nov 2013 9:55]

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

The Famous Swansea City on 09:38 - Nov 7 with 1252 viewsUxbridge

Put it much better than I could have. Also do most of our food shopping in the market now as the quality and price is much better than the supermarkets. Not tried Vaughan's, but will give them a go. The Billy Upton produce is pretty good too.

You're right. We don't fully appreciate what's on our doorstep. I was down Three Cliffs on Sunday for the first time in years .... saw no more than a dozen people on the walk from Parkmill across. Shame on me for not going there for so long but bliss that that neck of the woods is still so beautiful and unspoilt.

The Famous Swansea City on 09:40 - Nov 7 with 1252 viewsperchrockjack

The coastline has always been the gem but a man cannot support a family on fresh air.
My wholefeckn point is the fact the area has lost so many well paid and relatively secure jobs never to be even remotely replaced. If this had happened in the south east they d been a complete tranformatio0n but because its south Wales or the North Governments especially Tory ones don't really giveafeck.
If you didn't love a place you wouldn't hurt

The Famous Swansea City on 09:49 - Nov 7 with 1243 viewsDDCH

The Famous Swansea City on 09:40 - Nov 7 by perchrockjack

The coastline has always been the gem but a man cannot support a family on fresh air.
My wholefeckn point is the fact the area has lost so many well paid and relatively secure jobs never to be even remotely replaced. If this had happened in the south east they d been a complete tranformatio0n but because its south Wales or the North Governments especially Tory ones don't really giveafeck.
If you didn't love a place you wouldn't hurt

I appreciate what you're saying but sometimes you have to cut your coat according to your cloth. I could have had a nice pay rise 7 years ago when I was asked to relocate to Oxfordshire.

I didn't like the area, and when I started to look at the cost of living and house prices especially I realised that the extra cash I earned would lost in a mortgage/travel costs to live somewhere I really didn't like.

I have friends who went up to London after uni and bought flats (more like bedsits sizewise) with the help of their parents, and have now come home with the sale proceeds and have bought a bigger/better house than mine with the spoils. However they spend 15 years living somewhere I would have been sick of in 15 days.

I'd rather be happy

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

The Famous Swansea City on 10:01 - Nov 7 with 1234 viewsUxbridge

The Famous Swansea City on 09:49 - Nov 7 by DDCH

I appreciate what you're saying but sometimes you have to cut your coat according to your cloth. I could have had a nice pay rise 7 years ago when I was asked to relocate to Oxfordshire.

I didn't like the area, and when I started to look at the cost of living and house prices especially I realised that the extra cash I earned would lost in a mortgage/travel costs to live somewhere I really didn't like.

I have friends who went up to London after uni and bought flats (more like bedsits sizewise) with the help of their parents, and have now come home with the sale proceeds and have bought a bigger/better house than mine with the spoils. However they spend 15 years living somewhere I would have been sick of in 15 days.

I'd rather be happy

Same here and was ultimately the reason I moved back. The choice of a bedsit in West London or a 4 bedder in West Swansea for a similar price. No choice really.

Work/Life balance innit. I love London and will enjoy my visits there over the next couple of months but me and mine will have a much higher quality of life here. Anyway, it's a fallacy there's no work here ... plenty on here seem to be getting by well enough.

The Famous Swansea City on 10:02 - Nov 7 with 1232 viewsApathy

The Famous Swansea City on 09:20 - Nov 7 by DDCH

I have spent a great deal of my working life travelling all over the country and it has helped me really appreciate Swansea a lot more.

OK some of the cities mentioned have bigger city centres, and that usually means shops. Personally I am a typical 'bloke' and don't enjoy shopping. It always surprised me that the lot from up east seem to get such a hard on about how many more clothes shops they have than us.

Town is improving, especially High Street that has been allowed to die over the last 25 years. The new restaurants opening there is a good sign. Wind Street is great if you are a youngster or love the piss, but has brought a centralised 'night life' area which has people from all over coming to for a night out.

The market is a real gem in the centre of town. I used to never see what the fuss was when I was a youngster and used to only ever use it as a short cut, but these days I try and shop locally for much of my fresh produce, and the market is wonderful and cheap too. I am on a day off and have just finished a sausage toastie made with fresh made sausages from Vaughan's butchers in the market. After a chat with the owner he talked me into trying his 'Dragon' sausages.....hell of a kick. That is the kind of old fashioned shop approach the market gives. I don't recall the last time someone is Tesco recommended anything to me. I buy most of my local fresh seasonal veg in the market too.....imported stuff is the same wherever to be honest.

I would personally like to see the council getting a bit more draconian with High Street, and ensure that the buildings are up to scratch and in use. On a recent visit to Brighton with work, I was amazed at the amount of independent small restaurants from every corner of the planet. It would be nice if this area became a place to go for an evening out for people who don't just want to cane the piss.

The coastline in Swansea is amazing, and people really don't make enough use of it. Get on a push bike and go for a ride along the bay, it really is amazing. I do it often especially at sunrise and it makes me remember what a fantastic city this is.

So shop local....get out....support the swans.....what else do you need? Phone pics to back this up :)

[Post edited 7 Nov 2013 9:55]

Wonderful

Goulet

The Famous Swansea City on 10:07 - Nov 7 with 1231 viewsperchrockjack

I don't like Oxford. Outside the Dreamy Spires its a dump.
The county I live in is possible the most panned on here and anywhere but Iver been pretty happy here and raised fine family who work ,have been well educated and in work-good work too.
Your very right and its a good post.

Personally, I like to be living ina rural area near to a big city and Im lucky to do so.
The biggest factor in Swansea Living in having the Gower on the doorstep . There are still parts of north Gower that are unspoilt and quiet eg Cheriton and its a fabulous place for kids.
My point is that a man need good work and a city needs to be vibrant to attract people as when its pissing down Oxwich can be depressing as any seaside ploace can be.

The Famous Swansea City on 13:13 - Nov 7 with 1212 viewsBLAZE

Two great posts from DDCH - as usual, really.

Having recently moved from Swansea I now appreciate how much I loved the place. Maybe that's because it's a great place to live, or maybe that's just because it's 'home'.... I don't know. But I do know that I look forward to every home game, less so for the football, more so as it means a day or two back in Swansea.

Not that I don't like it up in Carlisle mind. It's nice sized, has everything you need, is on the edge of the lakes and in parts remind me of Swansea.... But it isn't 'home', is it?.... Roll on the weekend!
The Famous Swansea City on 13:31 - Nov 7 with 1204 viewsperchrockjack

Home is always where youre roots are and where you were brought up
For better of worse that s how it is.
Carlisle is a hell of a long way to move to and hope you re doing fine and pass my regards on to Bill.

Your home town is always hard to criticise and while you do it its not comfortable for others to do it.

When you have kids, your home town takes on less resomance as you re too busy making where you live as your home

For me Swansea is my spiritual home; its where I wish to be blown into the universe after death but my physical and family home is where I am now.

I FEEL LIKE A WEEP tbh

The Famous Swansea City on 15:05 - Nov 7 with 1190 viewsblaenaugwentjack

The Famous Swansea City on 09:38 - Nov 7 by Uxbridge

Put it much better than I could have. Also do most of our food shopping in the market now as the quality and price is much better than the supermarkets. Not tried Vaughan's, but will give them a go. The Billy Upton produce is pretty good too.

You're right. We don't fully appreciate what's on our doorstep. I was down Three Cliffs on Sunday for the first time in years .... saw no more than a dozen people on the walk from Parkmill across. Shame on me for not going there for so long but bliss that that neck of the woods is still so beautiful and unspoilt.

Wonder if you could help on this one, how do you walk down to three cliffs? Or more to the point where do you start from?
The Famous Swansea City on 15:22 - Nov 7 with 1188 viewsBLAZE

The Famous Swansea City on 15:05 - Nov 7 by blaenaugwentjack

Wonder if you could help on this one, how do you walk down to three cliffs? Or more to the point where do you start from?

Park up outside Shepherds coffee shop in Parkmill. Across the road next to the Maes yr Haf restaurant there's a lane which leads to a trail through the woods. Follow that for 5 minutes and it opens out into a beautiful valley with a river running through it, which eventually leads into Three Cliffs bay. There's something stunning about that valley - very peaceful
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024