Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Europa League 18:46 - Jan 2 with 3872 viewsunion_jack

Does anyone think that the best thing is for us to gallantly bow out against Napoli or go for it!

At this moment in time I have to say I hope we go out as for me the Premier League surpasses everything and our safety is paramount. However, if we get a couple if good results before then I may feel differently.

It would be interesting to hear people's feelings in terms of priority.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Europa League on 07:22 - Jan 3 with 1020 viewsDewi1jack

Europa League on 23:16 - Jan 2 by macthejack

People are acting like Napoli are one of the single greatest teams ever to grace the planet. We can beat this lot, as others have said, we've played better in the PL. And beaten them.

This.
I'm pretty sure that our team, has been to Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool away, returning home with a win.
These are bigger/ better teams than Napoli.
If Napoli were a better team, shirley they would be in the CL playing the best.
We can also win at OT Sunday. Man U aren't the invincible force they once were.
Can't see why we can't have a cup run and do ok in the league. My choice of cup run ( and winning the bloody thing!) would be the EL. But even if we did win it, those then expecting the Welsh media to give us any coverage would still be disappointed
We can win the FA Cup next year, to have another Euro adventure. Be positive ffs.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Europa League on 08:23 - Jan 3 with 998 viewsbuilthjack

I honestly think we will beat Napoli at home and get a 0-0 over there

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Europa League on 08:40 - Jan 3 with 983 viewsJackSomething

Europa League on 19:51 - Jan 2 by 2face

In terms of strength, it would be like beating Liverpool. It's doable. We play tougher teams regularly here.

Don't remember Liverpool playing in the Champions League this season...

Liverpool also didn't beat Arsenal, Marseille and Borussia Dortmund to amass 12 points and still not qualify.

We are capable of going through, but it would be a bigger result than knocking Chelsea out last season.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Europa League on 08:41 - Jan 3 with 981 views2face

Europa League on 23:10 - Jan 2 by JBT95

But don't leagues abroad generally play Sundays? It would make more sense for the Champions League to play Wednesday/Thursday really.

I don't know if it "makes sense" or not. It depends on what your priorities are. The difference between UCL and EL is that UCL teams have long recovery before home league games. So home league results don't suffer. Sure that means there is not enough recovery time before UCL games. But that would be the same for all teams in UCL. So it's still fair. But primarily it means Barcelona can win La Liga one year and next year no problem. If they were playing UCL on thursdays, that would be very difficult.
Europa League (n/t) on 08:47 - Jan 3 with 974 viewsjackal

Europa League on 08:51 - Jan 3 with 972 viewsjackal

Now that we've got so far let's go for it. However won't be broken-harted if we lose at Old Trafford. Sorry about the blank post previously. Computer incompetance to blame.
Europa League on 09:13 - Jan 3 with 949 viewsJackSomething

It would be better for the clubs if the EL games were on a Wednesday, but then it would clash with the CL and no broadcaster would pay good money for the coverage rights, so the competition would die on it's arse.

Europa League on 09:19 - Jan 3 with 944 views2face

Europa League on 08:40 - Jan 3 by JackSomething

Don't remember Liverpool playing in the Champions League this season...

Liverpool also didn't beat Arsenal, Marseille and Borussia Dortmund to amass 12 points and still not qualify.

We are capable of going through, but it would be a bigger result than knocking Chelsea out last season.

I'm talking about current Liverpool. And also how expensive the teams are. Liverpool and Napoli is in the same bracket in terms of player quality.

Machester United qualified for the knock out stage in UCL handsomely. And they are well below Liverpool in the PL. There could easily be 6 PL teams in UCL. And they would still do better than the winners from most other leagues.
Login to get fewer ads

Europa League on 09:34 - Jan 3 with 933 viewsJackSomething

Europa League on 09:19 - Jan 3 by 2face

I'm talking about current Liverpool. And also how expensive the teams are. Liverpool and Napoli is in the same bracket in terms of player quality.

Machester United qualified for the knock out stage in UCL handsomely. And they are well below Liverpool in the PL. There could easily be 6 PL teams in UCL. And they would still do better than the winners from most other leagues.

I think what you're guilty of there is over-estimating the quality of the PL.

Man United had a relatively easy group and European football (at least against lesser clubs) probably plays more to their strengths currently than PL. Less pressing in midfield, which is what has been killing them in the league. I seem to remember Shakhtar Donetsk playing a high-tempo pressing game against them and United struggled mightily.

Take Suarez out of this Liverpool team and they are ordinary. I'm no expert on Italian football, but this Napoli team look far stronger.

I'm not saying we can't beat them, but some seem to be downplaying what an incredible achievement that would be. It would be similar to Fulham knocking Juventus out under Hodgson.

Europa League on 13:44 - Jan 3 with 886 views2face

Europa League on 09:34 - Jan 3 by JackSomething

I think what you're guilty of there is over-estimating the quality of the PL.

Man United had a relatively easy group and European football (at least against lesser clubs) probably plays more to their strengths currently than PL. Less pressing in midfield, which is what has been killing them in the league. I seem to remember Shakhtar Donetsk playing a high-tempo pressing game against them and United struggled mightily.

Take Suarez out of this Liverpool team and they are ordinary. I'm no expert on Italian football, but this Napoli team look far stronger.

I'm not saying we can't beat them, but some seem to be downplaying what an incredible achievement that would be. It would be similar to Fulham knocking Juventus out under Hodgson.

I base my "errors" on facts

Fact: Liverpool won 20 points from their first 10 PL games without Suarez.

Fact: Transfermarkt values Napoli at £215m, Liverpool at £250m

Fact: 4 out of 4 PL teams progressed in UCL. 1 out of 3 teams from Serie A progressed

Fact: Liverpool is currently placed at number 4 in the PL table which holds the last UCL spot. Napoli is currently based at number 3 in the serie A table which holds the last UCL spot in that league.

So all in all Liverpool and Napoli based on facts are very similar teams in terms of strenght, club size and results at this moment in time.

If we beat Liverpool it would be a massive achievement as well. But we do not consider it impossible or completely out of reach. Napoli would be same imo. The odds are clearly in their favor. But it is not a distant pipe dream to beat them.
Europa League on 13:54 - Jan 3 with 868 viewsJackSomething

Europa League on 13:44 - Jan 3 by 2face

I base my "errors" on facts

Fact: Liverpool won 20 points from their first 10 PL games without Suarez.

Fact: Transfermarkt values Napoli at £215m, Liverpool at £250m

Fact: 4 out of 4 PL teams progressed in UCL. 1 out of 3 teams from Serie A progressed

Fact: Liverpool is currently placed at number 4 in the PL table which holds the last UCL spot. Napoli is currently based at number 3 in the serie A table which holds the last UCL spot in that league.

So all in all Liverpool and Napoli based on facts are very similar teams in terms of strenght, club size and results at this moment in time.

If we beat Liverpool it would be a massive achievement as well. But we do not consider it impossible or completely out of reach. Napoli would be same imo. The odds are clearly in their favor. But it is not a distant pipe dream to beat them.

Beating Napoli would be a far bigger achievement than beating Liverpool. I'm surprised anyone would suggest otherwise.

I'm not sure what your 'facts' have to do with anything, especially what Transfermarkt values the clubs at.

We played Liverpool without Suarez this season and they looked distinctly ordinary, we should have won the game. When they've played the other teams in the top 5, they've drawn one and lost 3. Napoli on the other hand have beaten Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund (the 2nd best team in Europe last season).

If Liverpool were playing Napoli, they'd be considered underdogs without a shadow of a doubt.

We're in agreement that we're capable of beating Napoli if we play at our best, but equating it with beating Liverpool is nonsense. As I've already said, it would rank about level with beating Chelsea over 2 legs last season.

Europa League on 14:17 - Jan 3 with 846 viewsscottishjack

As it stands, Napoli are 3rd in Serie A and I think that only the top 3 qualify for the Champions league? (Could be wrong?)

Perhaps by the time we play them, Napoli will have other priorities? Like making sure of a champions league spot next season.
Europa League on 15:11 - Jan 3 with 821 viewsUxbridge

Yes, I can imagine the conversations I would have with my grandkids when I tell them all about our glorious season of 2013/14 where we courageously conceded the chance of European success for the glory of finishing 11th instead of 14th in the Prem. What honour and pride it would bring to our city.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Europa League on 15:17 - Jan 3 with 814 viewsjruss1

Don't forget that epic day we took 30,000 fans to Sunderland for the meaningless end of season game and passed on a possible final in Turin...
Europa League on 15:47 - Jan 3 with 793 viewsDewi1jack

Europa League on 14:17 - Jan 3 by scottishjack

As it stands, Napoli are 3rd in Serie A and I think that only the top 3 qualify for the Champions league? (Could be wrong?)

Perhaps by the time we play them, Napoli will have other priorities? Like making sure of a champions league spot next season.

CL is worth a bit more money I s'ppose.
Looks like Napoli are playing Sassuolo (fighting against relegation) and Roma (fighting for 1 of 3 CL spots and/ Serie A champions.)
Inter and Fiorentino could still nick the last couple of CL places as well.
We can beat Napoli. It's just another cup game. Would write yet another great chapter in our growing history.
Think positive and sometimes positive things happen

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Europa League on 21:32 - Jan 3 with 750 viewsJackFish

Europa League on 15:17 - Jan 3 by jruss1

Don't forget that epic day we took 30,000 fans to Sunderland for the meaningless end of season game and passed on a possible final in Turin...

Meaningless? Pah, we're going to let them beat us to send the redbirds down.
Europa League on 22:04 - Jan 3 with 732 viewsBloodyhills

We should try and beat them as we should any team that we play.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Europa League on 22:24 - Jan 3 with 711 viewsNeathJack

Europa League on 15:11 - Jan 3 by Uxbridge

Yes, I can imagine the conversations I would have with my grandkids when I tell them all about our glorious season of 2013/14 where we courageously conceded the chance of European success for the glory of finishing 11th instead of 14th in the Prem. What honour and pride it would bring to our city.

Innit.

God knows when we'll next have the opportunity to play in Europe, if ever.

Seize the moment ffs
Europa League on 15:38 - Jan 4 with 670 viewsmarchamjack

When would I have ever got round to going to Bucharest (was more impressive than I imagined it would be), having 3 days in the blazing sun of Valencia and seeing us schooling one of Europe's established big teams on their own patch, and now booked for a lads trip to Naples (and side trip to Pompeii/Vesuvius). Seriously hoping we get through and have a trip to Frankfurt or whoever we might face. It's brilliant.

We're going to go down at some point (let's be realistic) and when we do, I'll look forward to following us striving to make it back (as we all were in getting there in the first place for years and years). Why settle for 10th - 17th place every year ad infinitum...how boring would that be. Remember 2014...we finished 15th...or that great season in '16 when we finished 11th...fck me.

Wigan fans were asked in a survey whether they'd swap the FA Cup win for staying up, barely one person said they'd give up the Cup win and the day at Wembley.

I want us to win more things and challenge to do so and aim for Europe again, otherwise, what is the point, seriously (and I've been watching us since the mid '70's so I'm not someone who's only known success)?

Thank God some our fans limited horizons don't match the loftier ambitions of our board in the last 10 years or we'd still be in League 2 thinking an away trip to Yeovil is going to be tricky...

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Europa League on 17:37 - Jan 4 with 636 viewsC_jack

Very strange that some people would want us to go into the last 32 of a european cup and wave the white flag, all because of the precious premier league.

What happens if we throw the game in Europe and get relegated anyway?
[Post edited 4 Jan 2014 17:37]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Europa League on 17:48 - Jan 4 with 623 viewsunion_jack

Europa League on 17:37 - Jan 4 by C_jack

Very strange that some people would want us to go into the last 32 of a european cup and wave the white flag, all because of the precious premier league.

What happens if we throw the game in Europe and get relegated anyway?
[Post edited 4 Jan 2014 17:37]

It's all about what if's though.

My thought is that it would be no bad thing to go out against Napoli though when I'm watching the game I will want use to win. Ditto tomorrow.

My views seem to be shared by so called 'experts' in the press and media who see our courting with relegation being down to the number of games we have played.

Another thing about staying in Europe is that the further we go, the more important it becomes in players' minds and they would possibly play more cautiously in the league.

For me, the 'precious' Premier League is everything not one annual competition.

But to end, some may be right and hopefully they will be when they say "why not both?"

Europa League on 18:07 - Jan 4 with 612 viewsC_jack

Europa League on 17:48 - Jan 4 by union_jack

It's all about what if's though.

My thought is that it would be no bad thing to go out against Napoli though when I'm watching the game I will want use to win. Ditto tomorrow.

My views seem to be shared by so called 'experts' in the press and media who see our courting with relegation being down to the number of games we have played.

Another thing about staying in Europe is that the further we go, the more important it becomes in players' minds and they would possibly play more cautiously in the league.

For me, the 'precious' Premier League is everything not one annual competition.

But to end, some may be right and hopefully they will be when they say "why not both?"

The premier league is not everything, that implies that there is nothing else if we are not in it, simply not true.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Europa League on 18:10 - Jan 4 with 608 viewsunion_jack

Europa League on 18:07 - Jan 4 by C_jack

The premier league is not everything, that implies that there is nothing else if we are not in it, simply not true.

Sorry, but for me the Premier League IS everything.

It is our bread and butter. With respect, to say anything else IMHO is frankly ludicrous.

Europa League on 18:13 - Jan 4 with 607 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Premier League will always be priority but whichever league we're playing in would be priority. If all we aspire to is to stay in the same league for ever more without doing anything else we'd be bored out of our minds. And we wouldn't have the memory of last year's League Cup win either.

Poll: Tory leader

Europa League on 18:22 - Jan 4 with 588 viewsunion_jack

Europa League on 18:13 - Jan 4 by exiledclaseboy

The Premier League will always be priority but whichever league we're playing in would be priority. If all we aspire to is to stay in the same league for ever more without doing anything else we'd be bored out of our minds. And we wouldn't have the memory of last year's League Cup win either.

Can't disagree with that. But I am talking about this season in particular. The injury toll is well above what happened last year, the traveling and spacing of games is exhausting and épée are points wise closer to the drop zone.
We do not have the size of squad at the moment to compete on more than one front comfortably. I pray and hope we can go on in the Europa League but not at the expense of the Premier League and at the moment one is threatening the other.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024