Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robins to be consumed by super U's 14:26 - Feb 14 with 660 viewsdurham_exile

Following the obvious disappointment of the result in the Potteries on Tuesday evening, JD has little time to reflect before he takes his charges this evening to the County Ground Swindon.

It is true to state that Tuesday was a game of two halves. The Valiants took their chances, we didn’t.

Tonight we get the opportunity to reverse the result that we suffered at the WHCS earlier in the season. Swindon lined up 4-6-0 and managed to win, enough said.

Colchester will line up 4-2-3-1 and although we have received bad news about Josh Thompson’s injury, Drey Wright is on the way back.

So JD is likely to go with:

Walker

Wilson Magnus Eastman Dickson

Eastmond Bean

Massey Watt Sears

Ibehre

Subs:

Cousins, Olufemi, Sesay, Gilbey, Morrison, Vose, Wright

Three points this evening will get the Col U bandwagon back on track. We owe the Robins big time after their smash and grab at the WHCS.

The weather of could yet put paid to the action but it is to be hoped that the drainage holds sway in darkest Wiltshire.

Safe journey to all travelling U’s

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 16:55 - Feb 14 with 635 viewsnoah4x4

Update from CUSA bus.

M25 to Heathrow and M4 impassable. Detour via M40.

Rain has eased. Few vehicles usung wipers. Game on.
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 18:51 - Feb 14 with 614 viewsthrillseeker

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 16:55 - Feb 14 by noah4x4

Update from CUSA bus.

M25 to Heathrow and M4 impassable. Detour via M40.

Rain has eased. Few vehicles usung wipers. Game on.

Not sure Noah

Just said on Talksport that there is a match pitch inspection at 18:55

Severe wind and torrential rain at present
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 19:03 - Feb 14 with 613 viewsthrillseeker

Your prediction is correct Noah - game ON

The locals are however concerned a full 90 minutes will NOT be achieved.

Good luck and enjoy the game
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 21:47 - Feb 14 with 600 viewsgerry_us

"I'm going there to attack. I'm not going to have all this firepower at my disposal and not use it" so says Joe Dunne pre match.
In 95 minutes, 1 shot at goal, none on target. It's a good job we didn't go to defend!
Whopee....am I missing something here?
Many congratulations to the hardy 96 souls that made the trip to Swindon.
Good point though.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2014 22:46]
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 23:49 - Feb 14 with 582 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 21:47 - Feb 14 by gerry_us

"I'm going there to attack. I'm not going to have all this firepower at my disposal and not use it" so says Joe Dunne pre match.
In 95 minutes, 1 shot at goal, none on target. It's a good job we didn't go to defend!
Whopee....am I missing something here?
Many congratulations to the hardy 96 souls that made the trip to Swindon.
Good point though.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2014 22:46]

To be fair, though we were a bit shot-shy first half, we certainly took the game to Swindon first half, and on balance were the better side. Second half, with the wind at their backs, Swindon got more into the game, but even then weren't really troubling us that much. The red card changed everything, and from then on it was always going to be a backs against the wall rearguard action - but we're getting good at that, and at the final whistle it felt like a victory.

As for the red card, once Watt and Thompson got into a bit of a fracas, caused in the first instance by Thompson hauling Watt back by his shirt once the whistle had been blown for a free-kick, I always thought it was going to spell curtains for Watt, given he was already on a yellow anyway. My view was it should have either been a red each or a yellow each (either way Watt goes), but it was only the lino calling back the ref that resulted in Thompson getting his yellow - that's one the ref bottled I'm afraid.

Heyho - definitely feels good tonight!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 10:38 - Feb 15 with 549 viewsgerry_us

Thanks the info Wessex.
Was Watt's red a 2 x yellow (1 match ban) or a straight red (3 match ban)?
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 11:30 - Feb 15 with 545 viewsnoah4x4

I agree with Wessex that we looked the better footballing team for much of the game; but the conditions were such that nobody was ever going to play neat triangles and ‘pass’ the ball into the net. Too often a positive movement would break down outside of the box because of the sticky pitch and/or the wind. That is why we had only one shot.

But in the grand scheme of things it didn't matter. We were just happy the game was on; given that a pitch inspection was announced as we negotiated Swindon's infamous 'magic roundabout' after an awful journey delayed by 'rubber-neckers' out to admire the Thames Valley floods. But with a name like 'Noah' I merely smiled knowingly at my 'bus companions..

Swindon may have had 14 shots; with 5 on target; but only 2 offered any threat. The only person really troubled by such wayward optimistic shooting was the ball-boy that patrolled the open end and he gets my M.O.M for his guts and bravery in appalling conditions. At least the players could run around to keep warm. If this lad had been strapped to the front of a North Sea trawler he could not have suffered any more.

Arguably, the best tactic might have been to take advantage of a goal kick from our right to left which could easily be delivered into the other penalty area or even out of the ground in the higher gusts. The trouble was; even Ursain Bolt wouldn’t catch it if avoiding offside; as both teams played a high defensive line. Goal kicking in the opposite direction was impossible; and both keepers seemed to adopt a tactic of “put the ball out of play in row Z on the half way line”.

Lacking the muscle power of Jabo (not even on the bench; presumably injured); we witnessed a totally ineffective Morrison; whilst Watt and Eastmond seemed too lightweight for the harsh conditions and like the many flying crisp bags and empty Bovril cups; I expected both to be lifted high into the stand with each gust. This was a game where I felt that the more muscular Home side was always the more likely to sneak a scrappy goal; but on balance; a draw was the right result.

Hence, I thought the (deserved straight red) sending off probably won us the point; as it focussed the U’s on total defence and we competently soaked up some immense pressure; whilst limiting the Robins to long range attempts that were lucky to stay between the corner flags. Here, the ball-boy again played his part; not hurrying to fetch the ball and helping us waste time; but then; I doubt if anybody could run faster than him with 50 litres of rain water in one’s pants.

Finally; an apology to ‘Tweedie; because our romance lasted only from the ‘bus steps to turnstile as he bought a £15 seniors ticket; whilst I role-played his ‘partner’; to blag a £10 Valentine’s Day discount ticket; hence £12.50 each was great value. Blew him a kiss and winked; but nobody should read anything into this.

And finally, finally.....what's happened to our trainee journalist Paul38?
Will he be back for the Preston game?
[Post edited 15 Feb 2014 11:35]
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 12:04 - Feb 15 with 533 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 11:30 - Feb 15 by noah4x4

I agree with Wessex that we looked the better footballing team for much of the game; but the conditions were such that nobody was ever going to play neat triangles and ‘pass’ the ball into the net. Too often a positive movement would break down outside of the box because of the sticky pitch and/or the wind. That is why we had only one shot.

But in the grand scheme of things it didn't matter. We were just happy the game was on; given that a pitch inspection was announced as we negotiated Swindon's infamous 'magic roundabout' after an awful journey delayed by 'rubber-neckers' out to admire the Thames Valley floods. But with a name like 'Noah' I merely smiled knowingly at my 'bus companions..

Swindon may have had 14 shots; with 5 on target; but only 2 offered any threat. The only person really troubled by such wayward optimistic shooting was the ball-boy that patrolled the open end and he gets my M.O.M for his guts and bravery in appalling conditions. At least the players could run around to keep warm. If this lad had been strapped to the front of a North Sea trawler he could not have suffered any more.

Arguably, the best tactic might have been to take advantage of a goal kick from our right to left which could easily be delivered into the other penalty area or even out of the ground in the higher gusts. The trouble was; even Ursain Bolt wouldn’t catch it if avoiding offside; as both teams played a high defensive line. Goal kicking in the opposite direction was impossible; and both keepers seemed to adopt a tactic of “put the ball out of play in row Z on the half way line”.

Lacking the muscle power of Jabo (not even on the bench; presumably injured); we witnessed a totally ineffective Morrison; whilst Watt and Eastmond seemed too lightweight for the harsh conditions and like the many flying crisp bags and empty Bovril cups; I expected both to be lifted high into the stand with each gust. This was a game where I felt that the more muscular Home side was always the more likely to sneak a scrappy goal; but on balance; a draw was the right result.

Hence, I thought the (deserved straight red) sending off probably won us the point; as it focussed the U’s on total defence and we competently soaked up some immense pressure; whilst limiting the Robins to long range attempts that were lucky to stay between the corner flags. Here, the ball-boy again played his part; not hurrying to fetch the ball and helping us waste time; but then; I doubt if anybody could run faster than him with 50 litres of rain water in one’s pants.

Finally; an apology to ‘Tweedie; because our romance lasted only from the ‘bus steps to turnstile as he bought a £15 seniors ticket; whilst I role-played his ‘partner’; to blag a £10 Valentine’s Day discount ticket; hence £12.50 each was great value. Blew him a kiss and winked; but nobody should read anything into this.

I was stood next to Tweedie all game, where were you? As for the ballboy, we did give him a wave to try and cheer him up, but he was the picture of utter dejection wasn't he

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 16:35 - Feb 15 with 504 viewsnoah4x4

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 12:04 - Feb 15 by wessex_exile

I was stood next to Tweedie all game, where were you? As for the ballboy, we did give him a wave to try and cheer him up, but he was the picture of utter dejection wasn't he

I was sat to Tweedies right, But we were all so wrapped up against the wind; hooded like thugs; not surprised we didn't spot each other. Don't have "Noah" on my jacket and no chance of taking it off.

As for the valiant Ball-Boy; he must have been the only one amongst 6,766 that wanted the game called off. His "fcuk you all" attitude to the home fans was so helpful, notably when Sam Walker indicated "you sit there, I will fetch it" then the goalie ran 50 yards to talk to the ref; whilst the ball-boy remained motionless. I thought five minutes 'time allowed' could easily have been more.
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 21:29 - Feb 15 with 484 viewsbilko

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 11:30 - Feb 15 by noah4x4

i dont know what game you lot were watching friday night when you said you were the better footballing side you were camped in your half most of the game with no shots on target all game. As for your player being sent off he was moaning all game and like most of your players wasting time as much as they could especially your prat keeper and yet again another very poor ref.
Thompson did nothing wrong when your guy got sent off and the poor ref booked him for looking aggressive apparently well that is the first ive heard a player being booked for.
Game shouldnt have gone ahead really bad conditions pitch was ok though but the wind and rain was awful.
As for your all out attack talk by your manager i didnt see any of it.
If you lot seriously believe you played the best football abd looked the best side christ knows what planet your from.
Look at the stats
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 21:53 - Feb 15 with 481 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 21:29 - Feb 15 by bilko

i dont know what game you lot were watching friday night when you said you were the better footballing side you were camped in your half most of the game with no shots on target all game. As for your player being sent off he was moaning all game and like most of your players wasting time as much as they could especially your prat keeper and yet again another very poor ref.
Thompson did nothing wrong when your guy got sent off and the poor ref booked him for looking aggressive apparently well that is the first ive heard a player being booked for.
Game shouldnt have gone ahead really bad conditions pitch was ok though but the wind and rain was awful.
If you lot seriously believe you played the best football abd looked the best side christ knows what planet your from.
Look at the stats

Stats?

Away from home, atrocious conditions, down to 10 men for nearly a quarter of the game, almost all of your 'efforts' were blazed high, wide and handsome, the rest were mostly safely in the arms of Sam Walker, and we come away with a 0-0 draw - those are the stats that count Bilko.

One word - ponderous

We'll see you next season, because you're not good enough to go up.

Up the U's

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 21:57 - Feb 15 with 479 viewsgerry_us

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 21:29 - Feb 15 by bilko

Look at the stats

Welcome to our board Bilko.
You match summary is a literary masterpiece. You should go far when you leave primary school.
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 22:00 - Feb 15 with 479 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 21:53 - Feb 15 by wessex_exile

Stats?

Away from home, atrocious conditions, down to 10 men for nearly a quarter of the game, almost all of your 'efforts' were blazed high, wide and handsome, the rest were mostly safely in the arms of Sam Walker, and we come away with a 0-0 draw - those are the stats that count Bilko.

One word - ponderous

We'll see you next season, because you're not good enough to go up.

...and one final thing - get behind your team FFS, when 96 supporters can out-sing you all match, that's poor, very very poor

Up the U's

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 22:12 - Feb 15 with 475 viewswessex_exile

...actually, one final final thing, and here's a top tip for your manager, please feel free to pass it on - try and put players out on the left wing who've actually got a left foot. Every time it was guaranteed they'd try and cut in on their right, sooo predictable, soooo easy to deal with...

...back to school Bilko.

Up the U's

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 22:49 - Feb 15 with 472 viewsnoah4x4

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 22:12 - Feb 15 by wessex_exile

...actually, one final final thing, and here's a top tip for your manager, please feel free to pass it on - try and put players out on the left wing who've actually got a left foot. Every time it was guaranteed they'd try and cut in on their right, sooo predictable, soooo easy to deal with...

...back to school Bilko.

....and get a new Ball-Boy to replace the one that has just sadly died of pneumonia.

Can agree we were woeful in the final third; but the U's were always in control of the game. On a dry day; ball running properly; no wind; with our delightful passing game; we would have run rings around the Robins.
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 08:30 - Feb 16 with 455 viewsdurham_exile

"If this lad had been strapped to the front of a North Sea trawler he could not have suffered any more."

Noah's comment of the day. Great stuff.

Sgt Bilko should remember that the Robins famously lined up 4-6-0 at the WHCS.
Perhaps Bilko should be strapped to the Trawler.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 19:32 - Feb 16 with 432 viewsRSCOSWORTH

For me what Watt did wasn't worth a straight red as he didn't lead with his head or raise his hands it was however worth a yellow which would have meant an early bath anyway but a one game ban instead or three.

Also Durham, why do you often leave Wright out of your suggested starting XI? In my mind if he's fit Dunne will start him. He's been a very important player for us since he's been here.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 20:49 - Feb 16 with 425 viewsnoah4x4

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 19:32 - Feb 16 by RSCOSWORTH

For me what Watt did wasn't worth a straight red as he didn't lead with his head or raise his hands it was however worth a yellow which would have meant an early bath anyway but a one game ban instead or three.

Also Durham, why do you often leave Wright out of your suggested starting XI? In my mind if he's fit Dunne will start him. He's been a very important player for us since he's been here.

Looking at the votes on the CUSA bus for MOM, all 40 fans placed Wright in the top three. He playing in front of the back four is vital as Watt, Massey, Eastmond are not great defensively. Combined with Bean, we have an important solidity; but we need more bite than now offered by Morrison up front.
Robins to be consumed by super U's on 20:51 - Feb 16 with 422 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 19:32 - Feb 16 by RSCOSWORTH

RS I don't have anything against Wright but I feel that Bean and Eastmond give a better balance to the team. With plenty of games left every player in the 19 man squad will get opportunities.

For example Watt's absence will mean that Massey should now start.

Big game Saturday against PNE. Three points needed, the play offs are still on but more consistency is the key.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to be consumed by super U's on 21:56 - Feb 17 with 391 viewswessex_exile

You've got to laugh - Swindon's 'reward' tonight - barely 150 more fans than were there on Friday, which given Posh undoubtedly bought more than our loyal 96, probably means even less Swindon fans turned up for a shot at Wembley - a shot they've just missed in a penalty shoot-out

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024