Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's to get back on right track today 10:59 - Sep 27 with 699 viewsdurham_exile

The Railwaymen at Gresty Road offer TH the opportunity to get back to winning ways this afternoon.

In truth although both Gaffer and Goal Keeper have been at pains to stress that this is not a must win game, the reality is that it is.

Anything other than a win would be unthinkable. If the U's are to pull away from the basement then this is the sort of game that we have to get maximum points from.

Now that international clearance is through and Rhys Healey has enjoyed a week of training with his teammates, this is the time to blood him.

The problem what does TH do to achieve a fourth clean sheet in five games.

I would suggest the following formation today:

Walker

Clohessy Kent Eastman Gordon

Gilbey Moncur Massey

Watt Healey Sears

Subs:

Lewington Wright Lawrence Szmodics Bean Vose Eastmond

It is about time that a loanee on his debut for the U's scored a hat trick. What about today?

Safe journey to all travelling U's supporters.

Enjoy the game. Let's make sure that we are not up the Junction at 4.50 this afternoon.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's to get back on right track today on 12:25 - Sep 27 with 688 viewsnoah4x4

Oh I say Durham,.....

You want to play Massey, Sears, Healey AND Watt? Blimey!

But none of them are great defenders; and I think the danger with that is we will too often end up with only two in midfield, and get caught on the counter (like v the Blades where a similar thing happened after Lewington came on and the midfield defence fell apart). But I can see the selection challenge with no Szmodics (injured).

I would play ONE of Healey or Sears; with David Wright in central Midfield instead of Szmodics) otherwise your line-up; hence a solid 4-4-2 that then becomes a 4-3-3 when in attack (e.g. Massey and Watt with a full back moving forward as each situation dictates). Clean sheets should perhaps be the basis of our progress. I would start with Sears, as I reckon Crewe lack defensive pace; and if we play like we did at Orient (solid in defence; through balls to chase on the deck); Sears, Watt and Massey might best deliver. Then give Healey a run later. Remember, his experience is largely only in the Welsh League and a few U21s. This game is too important to be too adventurous/rash.

Unfortunately, I can't get to the game; so hopefully somebody will pick up a match report tomoz.
Please delete. on 01:13 - Sep 28 with 611 viewsLayer_Road_Cat

U's to get back on right track today on 12:25 - Sep 27 by noah4x4

Oh I say Durham,.....

But none of them are great defenders; and I think the danger with that is we will too often end up with only two in midfield, and get caught on the counter (like v the Blades where a similar thing happened after Lewington came on and the midfield defence fell apart). But I can see the selection challenge with no Szmodics (injured).

I would play ONE of Healey or Sears; with David Wright in central Midfield instead of Szmodics) otherwise your line-up; hence a solid 4-4-2 that then becomes a 4-3-3 when in attack (e.g. Massey and Watt with a full back moving forward as each situation dictates). Clean sheets should perhaps be the basis of our progress. I would start with Sears, as I reckon Crewe lack defensive pace; and if we play like we did at Orient (solid in defence; through balls to chase on the deck); Sears, Watt and Massey might best deliver. Then give Healey a run later. Remember, his experience is largely only in the Welsh League and a few U21s. This game is too important to be too adventurous/rash.

Unfortunately, I can't get to the game; so hopefully somebody will pick up a match report tomoz.

Please delete.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 1:19]
U's to get back on right track today on 09:08 - Sep 28 with 584 viewsdurham_exile

U's to get back on right track today on 12:25 - Sep 27 by noah4x4

Oh I say Durham,.....

Noah

Many years ago the late Jock Wallace managed the super U's

He would line up 5,3,2

I wrote to the great man and complained about this defensive formation. he was gracious enough to reply and his reply was very interesting, he wrote "about your point with me playing 5 at the back, my point about that is I still have 5 to go forward."

I think that TH is an adventurous coach and tactician. He is not afraid to push players forward, neither is he afraid to play two up when down to ten men at Orient.

Second half yesterday he did have Massey, Sears, Healey and Watt playing together for over 20 minutes and it was during that spell the U's scored their goals.

Next week at Deepdale the U's face a different challenge, but TH will not be afraid to take the attack to the Lilywhites

Setting aside the back 5 who almost pick themselves TH

yesterday played

Moncur Gilbey Eastmond

Watt Sears Massey

then

Eastmond made way for Healey on 55 mins (who promptly scored)
Sears made way for Drey wright on 77 mins and Moncur made way for David Wright on 89 mins.

Healy and Sears teamed up well together and Massey and Watt gave width and pace to attacks.

I think that TH may just prove to be an excellent promotion by the chairman and his style of play is refreshing and positive.

I think that Colchester will begin to climb the table, TH knows about the younger players and with finances tight, he will maximise the young talent that is at the club.

In Healey TH might just have unearthed a raw talent capable of scoring the goals to complement Freddie Sears and that is long overdue.

TH Adventurous yes, rash definitely not.

Bring on PNE.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's to get back on right track today on 12:50 - Sep 28 with 562 viewsbwildered

First league win at Gresty Rd since 1986, must be getting old because I can remember when it was considered a lucky ground !
Wonder we're it is now ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's to get back on right track today on 23:21 - Sep 28 with 517 viewswessex_exile

U's to get back on right track today on 12:50 - Sep 28 by bwildered

First league win at Gresty Rd since 1986, must be getting old because I can remember when it was considered a lucky ground !
Wonder we're it is now ?

Apologies - bad data requires an edit.

Excluding post 2007 data, joint top for away wins is Gillingham and (you're right) Crewe Alexandra (both 11), followed by Torquay, Southend, Posh, Darlo, Exeter, Wrexham, Reading, Newport County, Chesterfield and Walsall. I defy anyone to find a pattern in that lot...
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 23:38]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

U's to get back on right track today on 23:49 - Sep 28 with 512 viewswessex_exile

U's to get back on right track today on 23:21 - Sep 28 by wessex_exile

Apologies - bad data requires an edit.

Excluding post 2007 data, joint top for away wins is Gillingham and (you're right) Crewe Alexandra (both 11), followed by Torquay, Southend, Posh, Darlo, Exeter, Wrexham, Reading, Newport County, Chesterfield and Walsall. I defy anyone to find a pattern in that lot...
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 23:38]

...and whilst the "never won at" list includes all the usual big name suspects (Everton, Middlesbrough, Chelsea, Wolves, Stoke, Brum, Sunderland, Man City, Forest, Blackburn, Leicester, Newcastle and Leeds), until only quite recently it also included Bristol Rovers!
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 23:58]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

U's to get back on right track today on 10:38 - Sep 29 with 487 viewsBluenWightExile

Very intriguing wesser - and such a long list.
What a splendid result though and unexpected by me. I wonder if this is a season in which we must get our points against lower table sides? Can't feel confident going to Deepdale myself - top half sides seem to have an extra dimension - money probably. I note Sheffield did to smaller Gillingham what they did to us by way of an example. They couldn't at Swindon.
As I see it our priorities also include doing summat about the Cuckoo Farm issue. No atmosphere to speak of and sub 3000 always likely. So it's no sheep pen let alone a fortress. Pity as I know we need it.
Time will tell.

Pinault-noir

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024