Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale 2 - 1 U's Noah's View 16:06 - Mar 8 with 799 viewsnoah4x4

In my last (mid) week’s match report (Magpies) I commented that if any game summed up our season it was that. Well this more recent fixture (Dale) probably surpassed it; perhaps best summarised by observing that our bench had no recognised defenders and five under 21’s.

Here, I feel really sorry for manager Tony Humes. Principle centre halves Magnus and Kent are still crocked; then (right sided) Tosin Olefumi is still not 100% fit; also skilful (right back) Kane Vincent-Young is (IMHO) too young and insufficiently robust (similarly Harney); loanee Will Packwood was sent off at MK Dons (and soon sent packing); Thomson wasn’t ever good enough (so he too has departed); Kaspers Gorkss was an inspired but all too brief wonder signing (but I wonder what he is doing playing in a Greek League in front of average home crowd of 1600?); Hewitt has proved a success in a forward right position (but not at right back) and now Shaun Clohessey has decided to have a hissy fit.

Sorry, I am not sure where Ben Gordon was, but we started with a ‘back four’ comprising of ALL that we realistically had left available and hence zero defensive back up on the bench. Tony Humes must be pulling his hair out with frustration. To cap it all, loanee centre half, Kaleigh Osborne, had a poor game. When our most loyal traveling fans comment “even worse than Packwood” (some cruelly did say ‘Magnus’) that perhaps says it all. Wynter, Briggs and Tom Eastman spent a nervous 95 minutes covering much extra ground to compensate.

Later, on 79 minutes, in a bold and adventurous move to try to get the team at least a point; Humes withdrew the tiring Porter and Wynter; pulled Hewitt into a back THREE; thrust Sembie Ferris ahead of him; with Macca Bonne on to lead the line; then with Osborne forward alongside Macca in the last ten minutes up front as a make-shift striker. Frankly that seemed to be the safest place for the Bristol City loanee defender to be; where his notably heading ability had positive value. But on the deck (e.g. in defence) he was often torn apart by the swift and skilful Dale attackers.

Robbie Cowling sat amongst the travelling faithful and our respect for him perhaps led to more fan politeness than many the team deserved. However, Hewitt and Massey did put in a good shift and Briggs had moments of quality. Szmodics ran and ran and had a number of scoring opportunities; but (IMHO) he missed his mate Tom Lapslie. Sadly, Fox and Gilbey don’t have quite the same ‘in your face’ defensive qualities as our two Rottweiler/Terriers, and yesterday the midfield lost the ball far too easily in attack. To be fair, this wasn’t actually a bad performance; apart from Osborne and two defensive lapses (to which most of the team contributed); and on another day we might have taken at least a point (or better). We threw the proverbial kitchen sink at them in the final ten minutes and perhaps deserved an equaliser. But the team is often playing as if we don’t know each other; and panic (e.g. following individual error) is too often allowing our opponents the advantage. Where has the confidence and fluidity of passing that had started to become our midfield trademark gone?

Frankly, before Saturday (Crawley; Yeovil etc.), we urgently need Shaun Clohessy to ‘grow up’ and commit to being a team player; then Wynter can revert to left back and Briggs can pair Eastman at Centre Back. Issues with our back four have been our ‘Achilles Heel’ for almost the entire season. Shaun Clohessey’s conduct is unforgivable; notably given that most fans have been supportive even when he has made mistakes …but he is more dependable than Osborne on the evidence of the last two performances. So be a big man Shaun and please shake hands!
[Post edited 8 Mar 2015 16:17]
Rochdale 2 - 1 U's Noah's View on 23:01 - Mar 8 with 739 viewsdurham_exile

Noah thanks for the report. My view on Clohissy (sic) is good riddance.

We only need fully committed players to the cause, in truth we should only have players who want to play and are prepared to bleed blue and white.

Like you I wonder where Ben Gordon is.

6 points from the next two home games is essential, failure to win against Crawley and Yeovil and frankly we don't deserve to stay up.

Time for 3,4,3 and go for it big time.

Walker

Wynter Eastman Briggs

Hewitt Gilbey Moncur Massey

Healey Porter Szmodics

Up the U's

PS Look forward to hearing about two home victories in the coming week.

Durham_exile

Rochdale 2 - 1 U's Noah's View on 02:02 - Mar 9 with 729 viewsgerry_us

Rochdale 2 - 1 U's Noah's View on 23:01 - Mar 8 by durham_exile

Noah thanks for the report. My view on Clohissy (sic) is good riddance.

We only need fully committed players to the cause, in truth we should only have players who want to play and are prepared to bleed blue and white.

Like you I wonder where Ben Gordon is.

6 points from the next two home games is essential, failure to win against Crawley and Yeovil and frankly we don't deserve to stay up.

Time for 3,4,3 and go for it big time.

Walker

Wynter Eastman Briggs

Hewitt Gilbey Moncur Massey

Healey Porter Szmodics

Up the U's

PS Look forward to hearing about two home victories in the coming week.

Luckily there are some crap teams at the bottom of Div 1. Unfortunately we are one of them!
Please let his have a win this Saturday as the whole of my holiday has resulted in nil points.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024