Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MLS thread 21:39 - Mar 15 with 578 viewsBarsidepete

Oh my goodness, David Villa with a spectacular goal for NYCFC (yes. Man City feeder club, basically)

40,000 there at Yankee Stadium after 62,000 in Orlando the other day to see the Sky Blue NYC.

Could a shift be happening in world football? Here we don't have to separate fans into sections. And frankly the quality of football is easily lower half of the PL. Now wait till Lampard joins NYC.

I have watched barely any MLS over the past few years. But I'm impressed. Holey moley.

Not long balls. True possession-based play. I didn't see this coming in the states anytime soon. But here it is.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

MLS thread on 23:08 - Mar 15 with 567 viewsmfb_cufc

The MLS will always be a retirement home, with a big pension payoff, for former top players. Never anymore than that.

mfb

MLS thread on 23:49 - Mar 15 with 560 viewsBarsidepete

MLS thread on 23:08 - Mar 15 by mfb_cufc

The MLS will always be a retirement home, with a big pension payoff, for former top players. Never anymore than that.

We're happy to take the leftovers. Besides, the states will win the WC before England. Better financial infrastructure than England for its lineup.

And do look to see who is on the squads. Quality US Nats and stars from this hemisphere, nationals from important countries in the scheme of the next WC. Please don't perpetuate the idea the states is a bad place to play.. for retirees.

Can't wait to see those two retirees from NYC, Villa and Lampard this summer here versus DC United.

Some cities should be that lucky.

MLS thread on 12:19 - Mar 16 with 543 viewsthrillseeker

Sorry Pete (not meaning to offend you) but I had to turn off for 2 main reasons:

1. The playing of the US national anthem before the game. I wouldn't mind if it was an international but for a league match that was tooooooooooooooo much for me to stomach and I have a large stomach at that!

2. The constant referral to the sport as soccer. It is football. Only in the US can they change a name of a game to suit them.

Does anyone know how the name soccer was derived?
MLS thread on 12:57 - Mar 16 with 540 viewsBarsidepete

MLS thread on 12:19 - Mar 16 by thrillseeker

Sorry Pete (not meaning to offend you) but I had to turn off for 2 main reasons:

1. The playing of the US national anthem before the game. I wouldn't mind if it was an international but for a league match that was tooooooooooooooo much for me to stomach and I have a large stomach at that!

2. The constant referral to the sport as soccer. It is football. Only in the US can they change a name of a game to suit them.

Does anyone know how the name soccer was derived?

It's just traditional to play the anthem, It is not politically incorrect like In England -- flags in windows, let's go on, frowned upon to display the St George. And by the way, at baseball games there is that other song that is British derived. Look it up.

Soccer, the word originates as a slang ENGLISH derivative of "The Association." And doesn't bother the Aussies to be the Socceroos ... http://www.socceroos.com.au/ .. but then again, why confuse facts with opinion?

MLS thread on 13:52 - Mar 16 with 532 viewsthrillseeker

Take me out to the Ball Game??

It would appear the NA is played at the start of Baseball and Ice Hockey as well which is where I first come across this practice whilst watching Anaheim Ducks.

Whilst on the subject of Ice Hockey I have to say I really enjoyed that sport. The speed of the puck was incredible.

Is the NA played before commencement of every NFL match as well?
MLS thread on 16:27 - Mar 16 with 521 viewsBarsidepete

MLS thread on 13:52 - Mar 16 by thrillseeker

Take me out to the Ball Game??

It would appear the NA is played at the start of Baseball and Ice Hockey as well which is where I first come across this practice whilst watching Anaheim Ducks.

Whilst on the subject of Ice Hockey I have to say I really enjoyed that sport. The speed of the puck was incredible.

Is the NA played before commencement of every NFL match as well?

That's a very good question, about the NFL, Thrillo. Know what? I'm not sure. When I've been in East Anglia and a game is on it returns to the pundits and insight when here we get adverts ... Sponsors take over the breaks on the networks --CBS, NBC, ESPN, NFL Network-- so it's not as if we sit through the NA on the sofa while money talks and advertisers fill the coffers of NFL owners.

God Bless America is sometimes substituted. There has been a small rumbling about actually changing the anthem.

But now you bring up another point. The NHL, and the MLS for that matter. Both leagues crossover between Canada and the states. Do they play O Canada?

The anthem here is merely part of the culture and we don't really over-think it. Part of the fabric and not meant as disrespect to anyone.

Hockey live is great and with the advent of HD, it's quite excellent on tv as well. Was a Washington Capitals ST holder for a number of years but finances being what they are, not something I can do these days. The tickets are extremely expensive, but the Caps do pack the house with 18,000 most days.

Back to my point earlier. Was surprised how the quality of play here has improved. Was a bit of a fly on the wall tuning in to see this Manchester City, erm, lower league NYCFC (feeder club) in their inaugural term, same sky blue kits, effectively. Although to see the Emirates logo, hmm... Plus I said I've paid barely any attention to MLS over the years. I know where proper football is played. And no, have actually Never attended an MLS tie, even though DC United is one of the historically relevant clubs over here:)

And, Yes, Take me out to the Ballgame, LOL. .. Blame cricket for baseball. And England isn't very good at that nowadays either. Irony alert.

Let me have my fun with this thread. I didn't realise it would be taken so out of context. ∑:P
[Post edited 16 Mar 2015 16:59]

MLS thread on 17:57 - Mar 16 with 504 viewsLeadbelly

Monday Night NFL games certainly have the national anthem.

My only NHL game was Flyers @ Flames. I think they played "O Canada" but wouldn't swear to it

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

MLS thread on 18:15 - Mar 16 with 500 viewsBarsidepete

MLS thread on 17:57 - Mar 16 by Leadbelly

Monday Night NFL games certainly have the national anthem.

My only NHL game was Flyers @ Flames. I think they played "O Canada" but wouldn't swear to it

Really? Philly at Flames? As a joke ESPN call them "Cahl-Gehry" ..

I believe Canada also is somewhat split. The Frenchies and the original Brits. But then we'll start talking about what country, France, England, Spain occupied this side of the pond. Till Brits and Irish, Germans and Scandinavians set down the footprint. Ok, true, according to statistics, Latinos will be the majority in a few decades. But so what.

Feel free to swear, Lead. But yar, I do think they do that up Noof.

Login to get fewer ads

MLS thread on 18:52 - Mar 16 with 492 viewsthrillseeker

Pete - I'll leave you to have your fun with this is thread
MLS thread on 18:58 - Mar 16 with 490 viewsBarsidepete

MLS thread on 18:52 - Mar 16 by thrillseeker

Pete - I'll leave you to have your fun with this is thread

Aw cheers, buddy. Not like we get a mountain of threads here. Daniel has asked for more threads. More pints for ya. Keeping things lively even if at my own expense.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024