Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Postage stamps? I had to edit the subject line LOL 03:01 - Oct 28 with 1003 viewsBarsidepete

I feel so much lighter having deleted 25% of my FB friends.

I only post there occasionally, on Facebook. Funny thing is, I didn't delete One Colchester friend

I really like you people ∑;)

Ah lumme. I guess I'm stuck with some of you. But that's one thing that stood out. Not one Colchester/Essex person deleted. That fact hit me later today. You lot are some of the nicest people I've ever met in my life.

Thanks for putting up with me. I've got about about a half dozen U's shirts. If that's not love, don't know what is.

Just wanted to go off topic. Thank you

[Post edited 30 Oct 2015 23:34]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 10:15 - Oct 28 with 978 viewsmrhappy

R u a nutter?

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 07:47 - Oct 29 with 925 viewsGate16

Strange thing Facebook. I'm on it mainly to keep upto date with what family I would otherwise rarely see or hear from are upto. I don't understand why suddenly you get random "friend" requests from people you've never heard of but might know someone you know....seems odd to me.
Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 11:57 - Oct 29 with 912 viewsburnsieespana

Gate it is likely they have some sort of connection with a friend maybe of a friend.
I am on facebook as allows me to keep up to date with relatives and friends around the world.
Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 12:29 - Oct 29 with 910 viewsLeadbelly

Despite the fact that none of my immediate family live in the same country as me we still manage to communicate regularly by telephone and email. None of us use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.

We may be Luddites but I don't feel that my life would be enhanced in any way if I did use social media. I suspect a great deal of time would be wasted if I did.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 13:16 - Oct 29 with 905 viewsnoah4x4

I can live with 'text'; or even email; but Twitter; Facebook; and similar is full teenage banal twaddle. I agree with Leadbelly, what is wrong with a telephone if you want to have a conversation? Better still, let's get out and meet face to face (in the pub preferred).

Social media is killing the English Language too. I am all for brevity in communications; but its codified slang is a tragedy. It is also killing dining etiquette, and killing people on our roads. Every day I see some idiot behind a wheel ‘phoning or texting. I would make that an offence punishable by a short sharp jail sentence; whilst using a 'mobile phone at my dining table punishable by even longer.
Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 14:58 - Oct 29 with 898 viewsBarsidepete

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 13:16 - Oct 29 by noah4x4

I can live with 'text'; or even email; but Twitter; Facebook; and similar is full teenage banal twaddle. I agree with Leadbelly, what is wrong with a telephone if you want to have a conversation? Better still, let's get out and meet face to face (in the pub preferred).

Social media is killing the English Language too. I am all for brevity in communications; but its codified slang is a tragedy. It is also killing dining etiquette, and killing people on our roads. Every day I see some idiot behind a wheel ‘phoning or texting. I would make that an offence punishable by a short sharp jail sentence; whilst using a 'mobile phone at my dining table punishable by even longer.

My mum who is at a very advanced age seems to have become obsessed with texting.

Typos and all. She could easily pick up the mobile and speak to me for a minute. I asked her recently, could you just call me??

Adding to the irony, she got herself the newest iPhone 6 a few months ago

I don't mind Facebook. Good friends on there. In fact, I probably inbox there --and here-- multiple times more during the year than exchanging an email.

Come to think of it. Guilty. Have not sent anyone a physical real letter in the past year or two. I kind of miss snipping the postage stamps off the envelopes and adding them into my books of very cool stamps. *big sigh*

Does anyone here even collect postage stamps anymore? I have a lovely collection and am happy to trade for unique ones. Inbox me
[Post edited 29 Oct 2015 15:02]

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 10:48 - Oct 30 with 862 viewsburnsieespana

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 14:58 - Oct 29 by Barsidepete

My mum who is at a very advanced age seems to have become obsessed with texting.

Typos and all. She could easily pick up the mobile and speak to me for a minute. I asked her recently, could you just call me??

Adding to the irony, she got herself the newest iPhone 6 a few months ago

I don't mind Facebook. Good friends on there. In fact, I probably inbox there --and here-- multiple times more during the year than exchanging an email.

Come to think of it. Guilty. Have not sent anyone a physical real letter in the past year or two. I kind of miss snipping the postage stamps off the envelopes and adding them into my books of very cool stamps. *big sigh*

Does anyone here even collect postage stamps anymore? I have a lovely collection and am happy to trade for unique ones. Inbox me
[Post edited 29 Oct 2015 15:02]

Now I was a stamp collector until about 16 when other things came along (like woman) which seemed more like fun but for over 50 years I have kept my stamps and continued to put all stamps I come across in a large box or as it now is boxes so maybe among that lot is my fortune!
My kids are horrified as have told them on my demise one of them have been allocated these boxes!
Getting back to the topic though facebook is fun, so long as you do not let it take over your life as, it is an easy means of keeping in touch with what others are doing around the world so, imo people shouldn't knock it without trying it.
Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 11:35 - Oct 30 with 856 viewsnoah4x4

My first wife and I rather acrimoniously divorced in 1994 at which time I 'lost' my beloved postage stamp collection that I had accumulated from childhood. It came to light six months ago and was returned to me by my daughter after over twenty years.

It has been a delight to peruse through my 1960's sets of British commemoratives; like the Shakespeare Festival; Battle of Britain 25th; World Cup etc and to relive my wonderful childhood. Albeit in a real age of austerity (today is nothing by comparison); we didn't want for much and could make our own amusement without being rude disrespectful yobs.

Then I had an emotional moment when looking again at my father's contribution of inter- war and WWII Polish, Russian and German stamps that he had collected before me; that tell their own very different story about his far harder childhood.

A good collection is better then a history book or diary. Shame that it is a pastime that has fallen into decline; notably as the greedy post office (IMHO) now issue far too many stamps and each set seems to fast obliterate memories of the last.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2015 11:36]
Login to get fewer ads

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 13:17 - Oct 30 with 842 viewsLeadbelly

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 10:48 - Oct 30 by burnsieespana

Now I was a stamp collector until about 16 when other things came along (like woman) which seemed more like fun but for over 50 years I have kept my stamps and continued to put all stamps I come across in a large box or as it now is boxes so maybe among that lot is my fortune!
My kids are horrified as have told them on my demise one of them have been allocated these boxes!
Getting back to the topic though facebook is fun, so long as you do not let it take over your life as, it is an easy means of keeping in touch with what others are doing around the world so, imo people shouldn't knock it without trying it.

Purely for work reasons I registered with Facebook earlier this year as it was the only way I could confirm some information I needed. Used it once, never again. Bombarded with emails from Facebook suggesting how I should use my every waking hour. Rapacious data mining is the reason and they'll be selling details of what you do and what you buy to every company under the sun.

After a week or so I asked them to remove my details from their records. Emails have stopped but...

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 13:21 - Oct 30 with 842 viewsBarsidepete

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 11:35 - Oct 30 by noah4x4

My first wife and I rather acrimoniously divorced in 1994 at which time I 'lost' my beloved postage stamp collection that I had accumulated from childhood. It came to light six months ago and was returned to me by my daughter after over twenty years.

It has been a delight to peruse through my 1960's sets of British commemoratives; like the Shakespeare Festival; Battle of Britain 25th; World Cup etc and to relive my wonderful childhood. Albeit in a real age of austerity (today is nothing by comparison); we didn't want for much and could make our own amusement without being rude disrespectful yobs.

Then I had an emotional moment when looking again at my father's contribution of inter- war and WWII Polish, Russian and German stamps that he had collected before me; that tell their own very different story about his far harder childhood.

A good collection is better then a history book or diary. Shame that it is a pastime that has fallen into decline; notably as the greedy post office (IMHO) now issue far too many stamps and each set seems to fast obliterate memories of the last.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2015 11:36]

I feel like I have to change the subject thread, Noah.

Do you randomly want to send me a big envelope of postage stamps and I'll send you one as well?

Collecting has not fallen into decline. They're now works of art. I have stamps from the late 1800's. They are NOT worthless ;)

Problem is, modern stamps are not worth more than the number. I've got some incredibly cool stuff from when I started collecting in the 70's.

It can be ironic when I just send you a big batch when you inbox me with an email address

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 13:45 - Oct 30 with 836 viewsTheOldOakTree

I understand the French have embraced Twitter, since they learnt you can ReTweet.
Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 16:43 - Oct 30 with 826 viewsLeadbelly

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 13:45 - Oct 30 by TheOldOakTree

I understand the French have embraced Twitter, since they learnt you can ReTweet.

Are the ReTweeters just the French with a slight speech impediment?

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 23:30 - Oct 30 with 807 viewsBarsidepete

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 16:43 - Oct 30 by Leadbelly

Are the ReTweeters just the French with a slight speech impediment?

The French generally surrender when you light a match. At least Brits and Yanks have solid boules .. I apologize. Could not resist that pun.

edit: I truly must edit the subject line. Just did... I didn't anticipate the thread would take this turn

I even have silver Olympics coins and amazing comic books from 50 years ago. And rookie NFL and baseball cards.

Seriously. Inbox me. I'm happy to trade for game programmes, cool footy cards. There is no way I don't have something you don't want in exchange ∑:P ... I even have have a few 100 year old baseball cards. What is called "tobacco cards" .. I have some impressive "rookie cards."

Go on then. Get in touch.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2015 23:50]

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 00:23 - Oct 31 with 787 viewsnoah4x4

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 13:21 - Oct 30 by Barsidepete

I feel like I have to change the subject thread, Noah.

Do you randomly want to send me a big envelope of postage stamps and I'll send you one as well?

Collecting has not fallen into decline. They're now works of art. I have stamps from the late 1800's. They are NOT worthless ;)

Problem is, modern stamps are not worth more than the number. I've got some incredibly cool stuff from when I started collecting in the 70's.

It can be ironic when I just send you a big batch when you inbox me with an email address

But Barside, I don't have a big bag of "swaps" to exchange.

All I have is a single specimin of each. My most interesting also relate to the 1800's including Imperial Russian 'Eagles' and Western Australian 'Swans' (sadly not the most valuable examples of those series). But I do have some British from 1842-1860.

I also have one of only four RAF Coltishall 50th anniversary first day covers. How come so few? The camp postmistress was taken ill. My (RAF) wife hence took temporary charge. Nobody told her about the hundreds of advance orders from philatelists piled up in a drawer. So the only first day covers issued were the four that she sold on the day, including one that she bought herself. The other requests were not found until three days after, hence too late, so these orders could never be fulfilled. The item is if limited value, but it us a humorous story!

Lastly, the penny post" was invented by Sir Rowland Hill in 1840, who was born in and later the post master of my home town Kidderminster. His statue dominates the centre of town today.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2015 0:29]
Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 01:00 - Oct 31 with 771 viewsBarsidepete

Off topic, deleted about 25% of my FB friends today on 00:23 - Oct 31 by noah4x4

But Barside, I don't have a big bag of "swaps" to exchange.

All I have is a single specimin of each. My most interesting also relate to the 1800's including Imperial Russian 'Eagles' and Western Australian 'Swans' (sadly not the most valuable examples of those series). But I do have some British from 1842-1860.

I also have one of only four RAF Coltishall 50th anniversary first day covers. How come so few? The camp postmistress was taken ill. My (RAF) wife hence took temporary charge. Nobody told her about the hundreds of advance orders from philatelists piled up in a drawer. So the only first day covers issued were the four that she sold on the day, including one that she bought herself. The other requests were not found until three days after, hence too late, so these orders could never be fulfilled. The item is if limited value, but it us a humorous story!

Lastly, the penny post" was invented by Sir Rowland Hill in 1840, who was born in and later the post master of my home town Kidderminster. His statue dominates the centre of town today.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2015 0:29]

Well there you go.

If you want to trade 45-50 for what the hey, I'll send the same. I'm not going to look up values. I truly don't care. The stamps I send will be very interesting.

The site will have a chin-scratching subplot. But I won't send you crap. I'll send them as a gift and value them low so you don't have to deal with duty fees.

I can send fab stuff that is not too bad. Trading stamps. Goodness, I haven't done that in decades.

Postage stamps? I had to edit the subject line LOL on 11:30 - Nov 1 with 724 viewsburnsieespana

Thought just come into my mind I wonder how many "football" related stamps have been issued around the world?
Have to say I agree with an earlier comment about the Post Office's policy on first day covers and I for one stopped buying them a long time ago on both finacial grounds ( divorced a few times) and questioning if they would ever have any real value.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024