Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Take the positives from Saturday, we can still finish 6th 23:46 - Mar 18 with 439 viewsdurham_exile

Saturday was a day for taking the positives.

Light rain had been falling since before breakfast time and having spent some time in the morning around a soggy Lion Walk it was clear that the weather was not going to improve anytime soon.

I was in the ground early and took my seat in the West Stand. Plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere with only about 100 people in the stadium at 1.45pm. The rain had eased a little and having seen Ashley Vincent outside the main entrance in his club suit, it was clear that he was to make way on the bench for Gavin Massey.

The pitch looked very good despite the rain and the stadium was in good order. With Martin Rowlands still missing with an injury JW had selected the following team:

Williams

Wilson Magnus Eastman White

Bond Izzet Woody Henderson

Gillespie Odejayi

Bench:

Heath Rose Doogie Massey Sears

The Terriers welcomed back their captain Clarke after an 8 game absence (Grayson was later to state that Clarke had been a welcome addition yesterday in their gaining of a hard fought point). The dangerous Hunt and Gudjonsson were also in the line up along with danger man Jordan Rhodes. An Ipswich supporter in the crowd bemoaned the fact that keane had sold him so cheaply.

Now it is said that lightning does not strike twice but when Colchester returned the ball to Smithies in the Huddersfield goal, there seemed little danger but when he dwelt too long before attempting the clearance Stevie G challenged and the ball struck him and bounced into the unguarded net. So an early lead for the U’s.

Huddersfield tried to hit back but Magnus and Tom Eastman were more than equal to anything that came their way and half time was reached fairly comfortably by the U’s.

Now it was good to see Micky Cook in the stadium and in a week that has seen Kem Izzet clock up over 400 league appearances for Colchester, it was nice to be reminded that Cook is the all time appearance record holder.

Now I must confess that I didn’t sample a pie this time but I did try the coffee which was ok.

Second half and Rhodes was still being well shackled, indeed he was confined to a header which went wide in each half and that was it. Williams only had one shot to save and Huddersfield tried with 8 off target efforts. The dangerous Roberts was wished a cheery farewell of boos when he left to be replaced by Alan Lee who received even more. His complaining, play acting and general bad sportsman approach continues to win him few friends.

When Ward hit the bar when perhaps better placed to score, I wondered whether we might inflict a rare defeat on the Terriers. When JW made an inspired substitution After 67 mins to replace the tiring Gillespie with young Gavin Massey, he offered pace and skill in abundance from the left wing.

Williams chased to the edge of the area on the left side of the pitch as I was looking and inadvertently appeared to carry the ball outside the area. It was subsequently cleared for a corner but Grayson was incandescent and pursued the fourth official. The corner was taken and resulted in nothing at all.

Soon after Odejayi demonstrated his strength on the ball and ability to withstand defenders. Having created the opening he allowed Smithies to parry the shot when he should perhaps have done better.

With only two minutes of normal time remaining Kem Izzet burst into the penalty area only to be upended by Gudjonsson. Mr Mohareb pointed to the spot. Now in real time I instantly said penalty. I have had the luxury of seeing one replay and the contact was perhaps on the edge of the box.

Regardless the decision was made, with Stevie G enjoying a well earned bath; it was up to Woody to step up. He struck it poorly allowing Smithies to make the save diving to his left. The drama alas was not finished in the fifth minute of four added minutes a speculative punt forward was accidentally headed into his own goal by Magnus. It was rough justice because the defence had not been found wanting and the Terriers could have had no complaint if the penalty had been converted and the match had finished 2-0 to the U’s.

Now Tuesday night a 1-1 draw was heralded, on Saturday it seemed like a defeat. In fairness to JW he did not conduct his normal record number of handshakes and he thanked the U's supporters for their efforts. In fact my position in the stand afforded an excellent view of the dugouts and I witnessed a more animated and positive JW than of late. This must continue.

Now we should take the positives from the match. The unbeaten run continues, 5 out of 9 points from 3 of the top 4 teams in the division and we have not been outplayed by any of them. Gavin Massey looked sharp, hungry and will contribute much in the next ten games. But it could yet be 12 or 13!!!

The defence seem far more settled and the error apart have looked very consistent. In midfield Izzet was tigerish, Bond always involved and Henderson played the best game that I have seen him play all season.

Now Woody should not be blamed, yes you should never miss a penalty, but his goal tally this season has won us more games and points.

Up front Odejayi can play equally with Gillespie or Massey. Freddie Sears will also get his chance again.

We will also need Rowlands, Vincent and hopefully John Joe O'Toole can make a comeback soon.

There are plenty of points still to be won, we will probably need 25 out of 30 to gain sixth place but it can be done. Ironically it will be the next two games that will define our season. Stevenage and Carlisle, six points and it is game on, anything less and I fear that we will fall short.

Keep the faith.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Take the positives from Saturday, we can still finish 6th on 15:28 - Mar 19 with 416 viewsBarsidepete

I hope no Prem message board makes a transfer offer for your writing services

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Take the positives from Saturday, we can still finish 6th on 16:39 - Mar 19 with 410 viewsgerry_us

No pie Durham? No wonders you couldn't keep them out for 95 minutes.
Are you still undefeated this season?
Take the positives from Saturday, we can still finish 6th on 18:27 - Mar 19 with 406 viewsdurham_exile

Take the positives from Saturday, we can still finish 6th on 16:39 - Mar 19 by gerry_us

No pie Durham? No wonders you couldn't keep them out for 95 minutes.
Are you still undefeated this season?

Gerry - sadly I have seen my fair share of defeats this season:

Huddersfield 2-3
Carlisle 0-1
Sheff Utd 0-3

but I have seen some victories:

Preston 4-2
Chesterfield 1-0
Hartlepool 1-0

and some drawn matches:

Tranmere 0-0
Oldham 1-1
Scunthorpe 1-1
Huddersfield 1-1

I have lined up still to go to:

Walsall Away
Bury Away
Notts County Away

Possible Bournemouth Away

Plus semi-final of the play offs and the final of course!!!!!

Hope to see you at the Notts County match, could be a vital game!

Up the U's

PS:The beefburgers looked ok but as I was eating out in the evening I decided to pass.

Still choked about the result because we did enough to win, but it wasn't to be.

Stevenage tomorrow, might listen on U's player!

Durham_exile

Take the positives from Saturday, we can still finish 6th on 01:03 - Mar 20 with 397 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I always enjoy reading your stuff Durham but I can't help but feel frustrated after Saturday's game. We could've had nine points from nine but we only managed three. If we lose tomorrow night 3 points from 12 is going to be a pretty poor return from our last four matches.

Why oh why does Wordsworth persist on taking penalties? He's really not very good at them! We could've had six points off of Huddersfield this season but ultimately we ended up with just the one. The story of our season has been not getting the result / points that our performances have deserved.

Three points tomorrow night and I'm sure I'll feel a bit better about things!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Take the positives from Saturday, we can still finish 6th on 07:10 - Mar 20 with 395 viewsdurham_exile

Take the positives from Saturday, we can still finish 6th on 01:03 - Mar 20 by RSCOSWORTH

I always enjoy reading your stuff Durham but I can't help but feel frustrated after Saturday's game. We could've had nine points from nine but we only managed three. If we lose tomorrow night 3 points from 12 is going to be a pretty poor return from our last four matches.

Why oh why does Wordsworth persist on taking penalties? He's really not very good at them! We could've had six points off of Huddersfield this season but ultimately we ended up with just the one. The story of our season has been not getting the result / points that our performances have deserved.

Three points tomorrow night and I'm sure I'll feel a bit better about things!

RSCosworth - I'm with you all the way, yes I was frustrated after the game on saturday and on paper 3 from 9 points in the last three games is hardly promotion form but JW would argue that it is 7 games unbeaten and as long as the points are ticking over there is hope.

Personally the season starts now Stevenage and Carlisle are both (and I don't like this term) six pointers, win them both and the glass will look half full again.

10 games and a return of 25 points seems like a tall order but there will be plenty of twists and turns yet. Take each game as it comes.

At present we are going toe to toe with the "big boys", we softened Charlton up in a game that revitalised our season.

The players will be going all out tonight to keep the run going. JW will have to freshen the squad up, but he does have the players to do it.

Yes I agree massive disappointment about the penalty. In fairness I watched Woody carefully, he picked uip the ball immediately and there was no doubt that he was going to take it. Maybe he is better at converting from 25 yards as opposed to 12!!!

Gillespie would have taken it had he not been replaced, difficult to know who else might have stepped up. Massey or Odejayi, Henderson or Bond.

Keep the faith, Stevenage are there for the taking tonight. All we need to do is believe.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024