Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint 14:18 - Nov 3 with 914 viewsdurham_exile

Total euphoria late on at the New York Stadium after the most dramatic of late equalisers salvaged a deserved point for JD’s blue and white army. More of that later.

My first visit to the Rotherham New York stadium was eventful from the start; the weather on the drive down went from brilliant sunshine to strong winds and heavy rain showers. My sat nav took us to the old Mill Moor stadium which is about ¾ mile from the new stadium. Amazingly after 6 years not only is the old ground still standing, but so are the floodlights! As a Miller’s fan said to me after the game, “we’re richer than Chelsea, we’ve got two grounds.”

A sign outside Millmoor stated secure matchday parking and so in we went. There were three cars already parked up and a guy came over and said “are you guys from Colchester, when he knew we were he said “well make sure you beat them 2-0, we’re Sheffield Wednesday fans, no-one around here likes Rotherham”. Car parking was only £3, highly recommended after the mortgage I had to take out at Ashton Gate to pay for the £10 fee.

So a gentle walk to the stadium using the underpass and bridge over the railway line. Approaching the stadium, which is very impressive, we saw the signs advising that this area is subject to flooding and indeed we had to avoid the standing water in the car parks and footpaths.

The stadium is well appointed with the familiar bowl shaped exterior, corners filled in and all the usual conference and banqueting facilities. Capacity is 12,000 with expansion plans agreed for the future.

Once inside it was good to see Gerry in good form and anticipating a good performance from the U’s. We didn’t see Noah, but he would have been with the more vocal elements of the 217 faithful.

JD had selected:

Walker

Wilson Magnus Bolger Garbutt

Monakana Eastmond Gilbey Bean

Morrison Lee

Subs:

Cousins, Eastman, Dickson, Vose, Bond, Bonne, Szmodics,

The faithful were accommodated in the Morrison stand (not named after the great man unfortunately).

And we got off to the best possible start with a well drilled corner from Garbutt and an excellent header from Bean into the back of the net after only 6 minutes.

Now that was as good as it got in the first half, because we then decided to commit some shocking defensive lapses to allow Rotherham to dominate the game.

Now Gerry is not a Sam Walker supporter and he was critical of his positioning for the two Rotherham goals. I thought that the defence were at fault for both goals; the first evaded Wilson and Bolger and fell to Tubbs inside the six yard box. He did well to get the ball under control and place it wide of the diving Walker.

So 1-1 after 9 minutes and Colchester simply didn’t work hard enough after that for the next 12 minutes thus allowing Rotherham to gain momentum.

Yes the wind was swirling around and the amount of tumbleweed made the surface of the pitch resemble a western town. Amongst the objects were paper towels (from the hospitality) suite and plastic bags. In the second half a balloon blew into the Rotherham net and survived a number of corners before being despatched by a stud or blade!

The second goal was definitely down to the defence and to the unlucky Bolger; his attempt to clear from the six yard box gave the ball to an onrushing forward who passed to Agard for another close range shot which Walker again had no chance with. So 2-1 and Colchester looked ragged at the back. Amazingly this was the same back four that kept a clean sheet 7 days earlier. I do not think that Magnus could be blamed for this profligacy; he once again was a mountain at the back and looked supremely confident.

Our midfield was distinctly rocky. Craig Eastmond, normally so assured was off form and I think carrying a knock which eventually led to his substitution after 59 minutes.

In fairness despite their possession, the Millers failed to carve out any decent chances before half time. In fact the officials missed Collin the home keeper’s moment when he became the fifth defender clearly handling the ball outside his penalty area.

So a coffee at half time and we took our seats. JD had the hairdryer out at the interval and Colchester came back somewhat chastened by his honest words. We had capitulated to a team who in fairness are not going to be in the mix at the end of the season.

No changes immediately, but the ineffectual Monakana made way for young Bonne (who I thought would have played from the outset). At 19 Jeffrey Monakana is a confidence player, pace and good dribbling ability but you can see why Simon Grayson doesn’t like him at Preston. His work rate is not good enough.

At least Bonne had an opportunity to inject pace and enthusiasm. He looked to JD who kept ushering him forward until he was operating in an advanced position on the left wing but quickly switched to the right side. Now Marcus Bean has scored twice for Colchester and we have never lost when he has scored! But he was being played wide left on the touchline, not his position (but with no Watt, Wright, Massey or Sears JD’s options were limited.

I have to say that Bonne is a real find and he has a bright future in the game. Far livelier than Lee he also has a wicked long throw and his header last week was certainly Andy Gray esque.

Craig Eastmond (my Player of the Season) made way for Andy Bond on 59 minutes. Still the scoreline remained at 2-1, but Rotherham were playing deeper. They thought they had scored a decisive third but offside was correctly given.

Young Garbutt had the chance to even things up but his left foot shot went wide of the target. Marcus Bean was replaced by Sammie Szmodics after 83 minutes. He quickly combined with Bonne on the left hand side and Colchester’s attacking intent came to life.

Evans became more and more desperate on the touchline, the excellent Morrison who contributed much throughout the game told him to sit down and shut up during one exchange.

So into four minutes of added time (mainly due to the 6 subs and also Collin’s time wasting for which he was never warned).

It was Bonne’s good work which brought about a throw deep in the Rotherham half. Now despite the fact that Kari Arnason had been throwing in unfairly (which Gerry had noticed) using one hand to propel the ball forward, Bonne threw fast and true into the box from which a corner was conceded.

Our boy Sam Walker he’s seven feet tall wanted to come up but JD had taken the opportunity to look back down the tunnel and seemed not to be aware of what was intended. In the event he did venture inside the opposition penalty box and Garbutt swung over one of his excellent corners.

No fewer than 4 Colchester headers moved the ball closer to the goal, the last being headed in courtesy of the underside of the cross bar by Elliot Lee for his first senior goal. Now who needs goal line technology when the linesman (assistant referee) was superbly positioned by the corner flag with an excellent t view along the line, he signalled a goal just as the referee pointed and ran back to the half way line. An equaliser in the 95th minute and well deserved. Young Lee was enveloped by teammates by the corner flag; he lost his shirt in the melee, whilst Garbutt ran behind the goal acknowledging the faithfull’s applause.

The ref booked Lee and we kicked off and after less than a further minute the final whistle was blown. A pity that we couldn’t have played for another 2 or 3 minutes because Colchester rightly had the momentum and could have scored again.

Now I too have heard Evan’s moaning and groaning about battering the opposition. No sympathy from me, we’ve all been there and we have often conceded late goals in matches. A draw was a fair result.

Rotherham like to rough it up a bit, Bradley was lucky not to collect two yellow cards and a number of challenges were reckless. They had 16 shots to our 10 and they had 7 on target to our 3. 5 corners plays 4 hardly suggests world domination.

On the walk back to the car, a number of Rotherham supporters asked was the ball over the line and yes it was. They took it in good part and certainly better than their manager and his “depression”. 7,000 supporters, if only we could muster those each week at the WHCS.

Collected the car from Millmoor didn’t see the Wednesday fan. He would have enjoyed it though! Looking forward to PNE in a fortnight. Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 15:07 - Nov 3 with 889 viewsnoah4x4

Durham; we encountered loads of Wednesday fans when we changed at Sheffield Rail Station and later (on the train to St Pancras) Reading fans . The euphoric Wednesday fans didn't care that the weather was suddenly monsoon conditions; nor about our result at the New York Stadium; they having just scored five.

By contrast; all the amicable Reading fans wanted to talk about was Layer Road, how the U's were once deemed their bogey team; and our famous FA Cup defeat of Leeds. It was as though they wanted to erase all recollection of their miserable afternoon.

Then after 22.00 on the train from Liverpool Street; Norwich fans returning from Manchester were somewhat silent. We sat proudly wearing our colours and grinning; (hopefully) reminding them of the previous occasion that somebody put seven past their keeper and also the treachery of a certain manager.

The lady opposite reading her "From here to eternity" show brochure; whilst humming its tunes; remain oblivious. She was no Deborah Kerr; and me no Burt Lancaster; but I know who had that day had the more passionate New York experience. I've lost my voice.......
Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 15:48 - Nov 3 with 844 viewsgerry_us

Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 15:07 - Nov 3 by noah4x4

Durham; we encountered loads of Wednesday fans when we changed at Sheffield Rail Station and later (on the train to St Pancras) Reading fans . The euphoric Wednesday fans didn't care that the weather was suddenly monsoon conditions; nor about our result at the New York Stadium; they having just scored five.

By contrast; all the amicable Reading fans wanted to talk about was Layer Road, how the U's were once deemed their bogey team; and our famous FA Cup defeat of Leeds. It was as though they wanted to erase all recollection of their miserable afternoon.

Then after 22.00 on the train from Liverpool Street; Norwich fans returning from Manchester were somewhat silent. We sat proudly wearing our colours and grinning; (hopefully) reminding them of the previous occasion that somebody put seven past their keeper and also the treachery of a certain manager.

The lady opposite reading her "From here to eternity" show brochure; whilst humming its tunes; remain oblivious. She was no Deborah Kerr; and me no Burt Lancaster; but I know who had that day had the more passionate New York experience. I've lost my voice.......

What? Norwich shipped seven.
Wow, must be a long time since they let in that amount of goa.........Oh no it isn't.
Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 15:59 - Nov 3 with 835 viewsgerry_us

Great report Durham. Little to add apart from Bolger had a "mare" and if we don't have better prospects coming out of Tiptree Heath or coming back from injury I would be concerned and extremely disappointed. Regrettably Wilson was not much better and it is strange that the same back line should be so poor after what they achieved last week.

My concerns over Walker were not abated by the fact that Rotherham should surely have scored with a stooping header inside the six yard box with no defender including Walker within a couple of yards. Surely a 6' 4" should be making the penalty box his and for sure the six yard box.

Not sure about the comments from Rotherham manager that they "battered us for 80 minutes". Certainly we could say that we robbed them but it has happened to us so often that it is good to think we can play ninety minutes plus, especially with the young legs Joe brought on late in the game. An extremely positive move by him that paid off and sent us home reasonably satisfied after what had gone before. Hopefully we will see the "young ones" on from the start soon instead of loanees who really do not know or care what playing for Col U means.
Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 22:18 - Nov 3 with 693 viewsdurham_exile

Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 15:07 - Nov 3 by noah4x4

Noah, you certainly had an eventful journey with a combination of supporters with a real mix of results!

Glad you enjoyed the result at New York. Having watched the Lee goal again I am hard pressed to remember such a combination of headers leading to a goal for any team.

It was very well worked and will give the team a real lift ahead of the Cup tie next week.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 22:26 - Nov 3 with 692 viewsdurham_exile

Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 15:59 - Nov 3 by gerry_us

Great report Durham. Little to add apart from Bolger had a "mare" and if we don't have better prospects coming out of Tiptree Heath or coming back from injury I would be concerned and extremely disappointed. Regrettably Wilson was not much better and it is strange that the same back line should be so poor after what they achieved last week.

My concerns over Walker were not abated by the fact that Rotherham should surely have scored with a stooping header inside the six yard box with no defender including Walker within a couple of yards. Surely a 6' 4" should be making the penalty box his and for sure the six yard box.

Not sure about the comments from Rotherham manager that they "battered us for 80 minutes". Certainly we could say that we robbed them but it has happened to us so often that it is good to think we can play ninety minutes plus, especially with the young legs Joe brought on late in the game. An extremely positive move by him that paid off and sent us home reasonably satisfied after what had gone before. Hopefully we will see the "young ones" on from the start soon instead of loanees who really do not know or care what playing for Col U means.

Gerry, I suspect that Tom Eastman will be back alongside Magnus for the Blades game.

I felt sorry for young Bolger, he has been brought in to do a job at a difficult time for the U's and he didn't get off to the best of starts at the New York stadium.

I think that JD's hairdryer did the trick because we were much better after the break and had more attacking intent. Evans is a pr*tt and I thought listening to his post match interview that he was going to phone the Samaritans. We've all conceded late goals, get over it.

I suppose that not even a Grimsby supporter could accept that we had been battered or the Cod Army at Fleetwod would be hard pressed to agree with such outrageous statements from a real saddo like Evans.

A valuable point and it extends the unbeaten run!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 12:16 - Nov 4 with 631 viewsBluenWightExile

nother grand report Durham - and with thaks to Noah4x4 for the estra perspective.
I really do feel very lucky to have such coverage.

How rare for us to score so late. When was the last? Gregory D at Wycombe??? Another 2-2 I think.
Odd that we can score twice away sometimes yet never at home where our record is abject. 6 goals!
What price we play with freedom in the cup? Will Joe put some of these youngsters in from the start?
I fear this may be counterproductive given their obvious effectiveness as substitutions.

The most intriguing thing for me is to see where Joe refits Jabo. For me his ability is close to what we had from Iwelumo at times but he has not yet been paired with the right combo.

Something to raise our Cuckoo Farm profile would be good for all concerned this week so why not win 3-0?!

Up the U's

Pinault-noir

Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 13:49 - Nov 4 with 623 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Did anyone else think there was a foul just before their second goal? One of their players went for the ball, missed it completely and bundled over our defender. Pretty sure in the middle of the pitch it would've been given as a free kick.

In nearly every game this season we've had less possession, less shots, less corners etc. than the opposition. We've managed to get some drwas from these games but why are we being consistently outplayed?

Also what was Joe Dunne doing at the final whistle during the hand shakes?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 15:05 - Nov 4 with 612 viewsnoah4x4

Late show at New York, Durham's viewpoint on 12:16 - Nov 4 by BluenWightExile

nother grand report Durham - and with thaks to Noah4x4 for the estra perspective.
I really do feel very lucky to have such coverage.

How rare for us to score so late. When was the last? Gregory D at Wycombe??? Another 2-2 I think.
Odd that we can score twice away sometimes yet never at home where our record is abject. 6 goals!
What price we play with freedom in the cup? Will Joe put some of these youngsters in from the start?
I fear this may be counterproductive given their obvious effectiveness as substitutions.

The most intriguing thing for me is to see where Joe refits Jabo. For me his ability is close to what we had from Iwelumo at times but he has not yet been paired with the right combo.

Something to raise our Cuckoo Farm profile would be good for all concerned this week so why not win 3-0?!

Up the U's

Top post about Jabo; I have been saying it for ages. Brilliant footballer; but he doesn't seem to combine with any of our usual crop of strikers (Sears etc..). I want Ibrehe to next have a crack with Bonne and/or Szmodics in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2. Maybe in the FA Cup or Essex Senior Cup?

Joe Dunne is trying some other diverse combinations. Some out of necessity; like David Wright at Centre Half and Gilbey at Full Back (post injury substitutions). Freddie Lapado strangely extreme wide versus Great Wakering Rovers (he was super!). He pulled Clinton Morrison back into very deep midfield against Crystal Palace U 21's; a role that the big striker then reprised late on Saturday when Bonne; Szmodic's; Lee and the rest of the proverbial kitchen sink was thrown at the Millers (and didn't we look good after the 83rd minute, another few minutes and we might have won!!!).

But you win First Prize for the mention of "Cuckoo Farm profile". I can't remember the last time I heard or read anything about "Cuckoo Farm". So its current 'profile' is zilch. To the delight of the sponsors; "Weston Home Community Stadium" does seem to have established itself in the vocabulary of fans and media alike. But I rather like the thought of 'Cuckoo Farm" ultimately emerging as the lasting legacy.

Maybe we should start a campaign in here? "Cuk Koo."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024