Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester victory at Carlisle - Durham's view 10:04 - Jan 19 with 495 viewsdurham_exile

“Can we play you every week” must be the cry after another impressive performance at Brunton Park.

A thoroughly deserved victory after the long trek to the Cumbrian border. I wrote before the game that as with last season the Carlisle game was vital. Then we needed to secure League One status, yesterday we needed the three points to keep the unbeaten run going and maintain the consistency needed to get to the top six. More of that later suffice to say we need 40 points from 20 games to get there.

It had rained for most of the morning in Durham and it was foggy over the A66, the M6 by contrast was dry, but an accident just short of the exit at Junction 43, had only just happened (fortunately no one was injured) so didn't delay us unduly.

The car park (£2.50) is always good value and the £19 admission is par for the course. Whilst the car park was wet and some of the pot holes were severe, the pitch itself was in superb condition and looked more like an August surface than mid January. In short it was perfect for passing and the bounce was good and even.

The problems with the WHCS surface must be drainage related, but the sparse grass covering in Essex is a concern.

Now the Cumbrian supporters were slow to assemble and managed by kick off to muster 3,688; this figure included the 125 faithful who had made the long journey north and were in good voice throughout.

JD had not surprisingly opted for the same starting XI as against Gillingham. His 4,2,3,1 formation which has served him well was again deployed.

Walker

Wilson Magnus Eastman Garbutt

Eastmond Wright

Vose Bean Watt

Morrison

Subs:

Cousins, Dickson, Olufemi, Gilbey, Bonne, Ibehre, Sears

Now the reality was that Morrison played behind both Vose and the outstanding Watt.

Some years ago whilst walking to Layer Road for a match, I met some Irish supporters who were in Town just to see Alan Hunter play. Sanchez Watt should have a similar following. He is simply outstanding.

The U’s started brightly and could have scored in the first minute, Garbutt and Wilson were involved and the Cumbrian Ehmer who was to have an eventful game just smothered the chance before Clinton Morrison could finish.

The game settled and the U’s looked to be playing their passing game to good effect. There are occasions when a quick pass from Walker puts pressure on the defence but generally passing from the back allows space to develop and allows confidence on the ball to grow.

Walker made a smart save after Tom Lawrence had single handedly driven through the U’s defence but otherwise he was not over extended.

After 16 minutes the superb Sanchez Watt picked up the ball about 40 yards out. He quickly rounded two defenders and struck the sweetest of left foot diagonal shots from 18 yards past the helpless Fleming. The faithful were in raptures.

If Suarez had scored such a goal then Lineker and co would have been in raptures.

Sadly we gifted the Cumbrians an equaliser only three minutes later. A free kick was delivered with accuracy and poor Magnus attempting to clear swept the ball into the net past Sam Walker. So 1-1 and it looked very much as though the half time interval would be reached with parity maintained.

Now Carlisle have the 34 year old defender Pascal Chimbonda playing at right back and he certainly had a lot to say throughout the game. Watt had made his life and that of Ehmer pretty miserable for most of the half and he was constantly moaning to the ref.

Sanchez Watt had other ideas about the U’s going in level and when the Carlisle defence were profligate with their passing he stepped in to rob the defender and round Fleming for a 45 minute second goal. In fairness to the U’s it was deserved.

Now as soon as the half time whistle had sounded, a Dacia Sandero car was driven around the edge of the pitch and parked by the dugouts. 10 people were lined up in front of the main stand and all encouraged to announce who they were and to identify their number from 1 to 10. The announcer had at no stage allowed the crowd to really understand what was going on or how they had been chosen.

A lackey drew the first five numbers from the cylindrical device he was carrying and they were eliminated and took £100 each for their troubles. So 5 players left and one by one they too had their number drawn out until there two left. The prize money had gone to £150 by this time.

The excitement was at best contained and the announcer had he been any more laid back would have been horizontal. “The next ball to be selected will win the car” he announced. Number 6 won, I think his name was Dave and after shaking hands with the runner up, he walked over to the car and in the lowest of low key presentations took the car and was driven out of the stadium. I still do not know what the runner up won.

Could we take any more excitement, no one knew or in fact cared. Some years ago, a village fete arranged a similar win a car competition. This one involved the participants buying a ticket and then throwing 7 sixes to win the car. About 25 tickets at £1 each had been sold when a young girl paid her money and promptly rolled the 7 sixes. Cue pandemonium as the organisers realised they had taken a massive hit on their £25 car.

Brunton Park experienced such an occasion yesterday.

JD made one change at half time. The tiring David Wright was substituted by Alex Gilbey and so the U’s team had a more attacking feel to it after the break.

Luke Garbutt after a slow start also grew more into the game. His cultured left foot means that he takes virtually every corner and most of the dangerous 25 yard free kicks.

From his cross in the 67th minute, Marcus Bean rose to head past Fleming. Cue wild celebrations, the U’s were 3-1 up.

Carlisle were distraught, the U’s were bossing the game and for a purple patch it looked as though we could score at will. Fleming got himself into a mess whilst attempting to clear and the evergreen Morrison almost dispossessed him before being upended in the box. The ref waved way U’s appeals.

Chimbonda had totally lost the plot and was booked right in front of the home dugout and where their most partisan supporters stand. His booking came after he won a free kick but couldn’t resist mouthing to the ref (again).

Clinton Morrison left after 70 minutes to a standing ovation from the faithful and he was replaced by Jabo Ibehre.

The U’s wasted no time in scoring a fourth. Wave after wave of attacks from both left and right wings produced some poor defending from the Cumbrians. After 74 minutes Dominic Vose struck a shot from the right which took a deflection off the helpless Ehmer and past Fleming. It was 4-1 to the U’s.

The faithful called for JD to wave and he actually did!

There was still plenty of time for a fifth and the crowd demanded it. Sadly with Watt’s substitution on 83 minutes it wasn’t going to come. Dickson replaced him. I think this was a wise move from JD, we need Sanchez Watt to be fit for the continued charge up the table.

The gloss was taken off slightly when Lawrence struck a free kick, which Sam Walker couldn't hold onto and it rebounded to Ehmer to score from inside the box. So 4-2 and an extra 4 minutes were safely negotiated.

The U’s were ecstatic and rightly so. This was a comprehensive victory over a Carlisle team who have a decent home record. The faithful were joyous, the players milked the applause. Even JD and MK joined the Doog in the celebrations. The biggest cheer was for Sam Walker with shouts of “sign him up”.

Now I decided to stay up and watch the Football League Show. As always Colchester were “relegated” to the second string matches and about 1 minute was devoted to the game. The “illustrious pundits” once again failed to mention us in the round up. Sod them all!

Watt’s goal looked superb though and I have recorded the meagre highlights!

With the FA Cup taking centre stage next week, our next game is home to Shrewsbury, bring it on.

So Colchester has moved up to 12th in the table on 34 points. A positive Goal Difference and another 20 games to get the 40 more points required for a tilt at the play offs.

We still have three players to bring back into the squad, Wright, Massey and Thompson.

There is no doubt that the return of Sanchez Watt, the continued presence of Walker and Garbutt and the form of Vose have all made a difference but the defence do look solid.

Sam Walker to sign, Vose has signed until May and Gilbey has also signed a long term deal. Things are definitely looking up.

The faithful sang (with gusto) “we’re going to win the league” now even my optimism cannot run to that, but a top six finish is a real possibility.

Still there are 60 more points available!

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Colchester victory at Carlisle - Durham's view on 15:19 - Jan 19 with 464 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks for that Durham and seems you really enjoyed!
As for the 6th play off spot I think we have an outside chance if we don't sustain injuries to our vital players and can sign Walker.
I see the JD has been mentioned as saying he will wait ubtil the loan window reopens to sign a central defende so seems Thompson will still be out until almost season end.
Colchester victory at Carlisle - Durham's view on 22:08 - Jan 19 with 450 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester victory at Carlisle - Durham's view on 15:19 - Jan 19 by burnsieespana

Thanks for that Durham and seems you really enjoyed!
As for the 6th play off spot I think we have an outside chance if we don't sustain injuries to our vital players and can sign Walker.
I see the JD has been mentioned as saying he will wait ubtil the loan window reopens to sign a central defende so seems Thompson will still be out until almost season end.

Burnsie - yes I really enjoyed the match yesterday. This is the sort of form that will result in a top six finish for the U's.

I saw Josh Thompson at the Oldham match, he was driving but clearly the ankle injury is long term.

Gavin Massey and Drey Wright may be back sooner.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester victory at Carlisle - Durham's view on 22:13 - Jan 19 with 447 viewsBarsidepete

Colchester victory at Carlisle - Durham's view on 22:08 - Jan 19 by durham_exile

Burnsie - yes I really enjoyed the match yesterday. This is the sort of form that will result in a top six finish for the U's.

I saw Josh Thompson at the Oldham match, he was driving but clearly the ankle injury is long term.

Gavin Massey and Drey Wright may be back sooner.

Up the U's

I'm not sure my heart can handle a top-6 and the playoffs.

But ok, let me have it

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Colchester victory at Carlisle - Durham's view on 12:48 - Jan 20 with 416 viewsBluenWightExile

Thank you as ever Durham for such a splendid and comprehensive account. The time it takes you is appreciated.
It is great to see Joe finally extracting some consistent perfermances - or at least the beginnings of same. If this continues we can be the mid-table team I have dared hope for!

Up the U's

Pinault-noir

Colchester victory at Carlisle - Durham's view on 13:19 - Jan 20 with 411 viewsLeadbelly

All ifs, buts and maybes but I wonder where we may be now had Watt and others not been injured for such a significant portion of the season?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Colchester victory at Carlisle - Durham's view on 21:29 - Jan 20 with 381 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester victory at Carlisle - Durham's view on 12:48 - Jan 20 by BluenWightExile

Thank you as ever Durham for such a splendid and comprehensive account. The time it takes you is appreciated.
It is great to see Joe finally extracting some consistent perfermances - or at least the beginnings of same. If this continues we can be the mid-table team I have dared hope for!

Up the U's

BluenWight - make sure you are free on 25 May!

Could be a special day!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024