Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The England squad,.. and the USA squad... 22:48 - May 12 with 684 viewsBarsidepete

ENGLAND's 23 --

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Fraser Forster (Celtic).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).

USA 23 -- no Landon Donovan..

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake).

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nuremberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders).

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City).

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes).
[Post edited 3 Jun 2014 0:55]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 12:17 - May 13 with 649 viewsDaniel

Pete, are there usually so many domestic players in the US squad or is this a sign of the strength of football in the states now?
The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 13:50 - May 13 with 641 viewsBarsidepete

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 12:17 - May 13 by Daniel

Pete, are there usually so many domestic players in the US squad or is this a sign of the strength of football in the states now?

I believe that by association, as more foreign stars come to the states to play, who might otherwise feature in Europe, it raises the level, so in that way yes.

Take for instance the case of Clint Dempsey (formerly Spurs, now Seattle) and Michael Bradley (formerly w/Roma, happy in Toronto),.. If not for the WC they might still be playing across the pond.

But an MLS 18,232 per game average attendance -- 19 clubs - Seattle Sounders FC tops with 38,600 per game - 3 in Canada - Vancouver (21,000), Toronto (22,591), Montreal (21,239) -- and more newly-built 'soccer specific stadiums,' as we call it here, it adds to a right frame of mind, so wearing the boots stateside is not a bad way to go.

And the fact the World Cup is being contested in this hemisphere, albeit 4800 miles from Washington DC, well, you know what I mean, I suspect a few players decided to hedge their bets to be selected for the squad by focusing on being here. That's code for: Jürgen Klinsmann can see me play and ultimately David Beckham at Miami FC will spill buckets of money at me (fewer financial fair play regulations when acquiring a US player) .. or there's that other club *cough* which begins play in 2015, NYCFC, owned by the NY Yankees (20%) and *double cough* Manchester City

I'd love to see more Americans play in England but they tend to select other countries and clubs, like Besiktas, Bayern Munich, AZ Alkmaar, Nantes ... Perhaps, if for instance, Jozy Altidore remains with Sunderland, the Black Cats can fish for another US player, which might help Jozy relax, with another American, and grow to be the striker he could be.

Be that as it may, Dempsey and Donovan are the starting strikers, err, although Donovan isn't exactly creating fireworks early in the MLS season (spring to autumn season here, for those who don't follow the league that closely).

Our keeper Tim Howard faces some of the most daunting shots you'll find, in the BPL .. He's well battle tested.

Perhaps if the Yanks park the bus we'll get a few exciting 1-nils and advance past the group stage

I've always felt that some of the US's top player would do well with proper seasoning in England. Perchance this is the open window for 2014/15 after the WC. I think the rule remains, though, that unless you're a US international you have to jump through hoops to get past the worker permit quagmire...
[Post edited 15 May 2014 14:12]

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 18:12 - May 13 with 625 viewsDaniel

Thanks for that Pete. The Spurs follower in me has shown a tiny bit of interest in the MLS, what with Defoe joining Toronto, and Dempsey returning to the states. BT show some of the games over here - conveniently it's usually Toronto playing when I decide to watch one.

Interestingly, Defoe joined Toronto to get first team football for the WC and he’s missed out.
The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 20:29 - May 13 with 622 viewsBarsidepete

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 18:12 - May 13 by Daniel

Thanks for that Pete. The Spurs follower in me has shown a tiny bit of interest in the MLS, what with Defoe joining Toronto, and Dempsey returning to the states. BT show some of the games over here - conveniently it's usually Toronto playing when I decide to watch one.

Interestingly, Defoe joined Toronto to get first team football for the WC and he’s missed out.

Is a bit odd about Defoe. Thought he was a cert, match fit in a challenging league. I mean, it's not like other countries in the WC won't be playing MLS players. He got kinda shafted by this youngster squad mentality with 2016 in sight ..
[Post edited 15 May 2014 13:46]

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 13:14 - May 15 with 593 viewsBarsidepete

Here are MLS players selected for other squads.. Costa Rica and Honduras well-represented in US footy

New York F Tim Cahill (Australia)
Toronto GK Julio Cesar (Brazil)
Toronto F Jermain Defoe (England)*
Chivas USA MF Oswaldo Minda (Ecuador)*
Vancouver D Steven Beitashour (Iran)
Columbus F Jairo Arrieta (Costa Rica)*
Columbus D Giancarlo Gonzalez (Costa Rica)
Columbus D Waylon Francis (Costa Rica)
New York D Roy Miller (Costa Rica)
Real Salt Lake F Alvaro Saborio (Costa Rica)
New England F Jerry Bengtson (Honduras)
San Jose D Victor Bermudez (Honduras)
Chivas USA MF Marvin Chavez (Honduras)
Houston MF Oscar Boniek Garcia (Honduras)
Vancouver D Johnny Leveron (Honduras)*

*Defoe, Minda, Arrieta and Leveron are not in their 23 at the moment. They are in the provisional 30 or standby..
[Post edited 15 May 2014 13:58]

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 00:11 - May 23 with 543 viewsBarsidepete

Intriguing development as the USA 23 are announced and no Landon Donovan. So Dempsey and Altidore up front? although I anticipate a 4-5-1.

* *Julian Green (Bayern Munich) undoubtedly was guaranteed a spot if he chose the US over Germany (dual citizen) .. so likely a main feature for the US in years to come.

US 23 --

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake).

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nuremberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders).

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City).

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes).

* I feel that Wondolowski and Altidore could become wild cards in the cup. CW and Jozy for some reason show up when the US Nats are playing relevant games. Beckerman is money, Julian Green and Jermaine Jones .. Tim Howard our rock. The US could surprise:)
[Post edited 23 May 2014 15:26]

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 01:36 - May 24 with 491 viewsBarsidepete

The arrow down because of one dislike of the thread? By Bwildered? Really.

Could you explain please? This is an innocuous thread about the England and USA squads, plus Daniel asked me a question and I answered it.

And my certainty of Donovan on the team, didn't edit that first post. I'm shocked. He may not have started but his 3 WC experience and top scorer in the Nat's team history, how could a manager not think with 10 mins left, let's see what Landon has in his engine..

Anyway, who do you tip to be in starting 11? Two weeks and five days till the first tussles ..

Play gaffer, Bwildered..
[Post edited 25 May 2014 0:26]

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 14:21 - Jun 1 with 442 viewsBarsidepete

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 12:17 - May 13 by Daniel

Frank Lampard and Atletico's David Villa now strongly linked to NYCFC (a.k.a. Man City FC/NY) .. Doesn't this feel like Man City hasn't already proactively imagined a way around Fair Play rules? .. Lamps would rather play US 'lower league MLS' than In the Prem. well done, easily, a tier above the bottom 6-8 in the BPL, and not as much drama. *every time Celtic seems to visit in the summer they have their ass kicked by an MLS club.. this is actually a pretty ok league, across the pond here..

Let's be honest, we don't know what Beckham has in store yet for his new "franchise," Miami FC, but I think we're getting a potential preview. (Monaco but Miami now? Fair play spending rules again being tested, shortly,.. The MLS may in fact destroy the FL Championship. We look at the third tier proposal as affecting Lg 2 and the Conference. I think the US will affect the PL and Championship.

The fabric of the MLS is ever-changing. Moyes, Miami manager?

Speaking of Miami, here comes England, The Three Lions, for two final tune-ups in south Florida,.. v Ecuador (4 June), then Honduras (Sat, 7 June) ... USA v Turkey today in New Jersey at Red Bulls stad.. Updates as they happen
[Post edited 1 Jun 2014 16:01]

Login to get fewer ads

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 00:57 - Jun 3 with 396 viewsBarsidepete

Updated England's 23 first post..

The England squad,.. and the USA squad... on 00:44 - Jun 4 with 367 viewsBarsidepete

Rooney left hand side of the forward three, hahaha... sorry, so a short visit for England in Brazil, eh.

Given the fact the squad is being prepped for Euro and 18, why the heck not go down in flames with Rooney right there, wielding a sword?

It's like Wayne is being asked to deliver a cv after game one. the man can find a quid in deep grass and send it into a slot. That's what I feel about Howard. Dude gets a clean sheet and a draw, we're onward.

Football underpants. Keep walking.

Papers now suggesting Lampard to NYCFC then on loan to MCity before joining David Villa, March 15 w NYCFC/ManCityFCNY.. Or Lamps to join Donovan and Robby Keane in LA.. This is getting g interesting.. Portland in the hunt for another star but you have to read The Daily Mail for that early rumour.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2014 1:12]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024