Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's 2 - 0 Yeovil - Noah's View 08:06 - Mar 18 with 610 viewsnoah4x4

We now have nine cup finals remaining that come thick and fast with the Easter schedule, hence, plenty of points still available. It will be the managers that best use their season weary battered available player resources that will achieve survival. Last night, Chris Porter, Gavin Massey, and Alex Wynter were ‘rested’, yet we won. It was a bold move that paid off as they are now fresh for an equally crucial and winnable game at Gillingham.

In the first half the U’s lacked an effective strike force. Young Rhys Healey noticeably struggled up front alone in a 4-3-2-1 Xmas Tree; albeit that Dion Sembie —Ferris didn’t look out of place and Norwich loanee Jacob Murphy made a nuisance of himself. But there was little quality in the final third. We had adopted the formula that has worked so well away; of sitting back, soaking up the pressure, tire the opposition etc. Then in the second half, perhaps for once confident in his ‘back four’; Tony Humes gambled; pushing (MOM) Gilbey further forward in attack and we migrated to a 4-2-1-3. Suddenly we had control of the midfield and the goals that we deserved came.

I hope that I am not the only one today giving Tony Humes some tactical credit. Yes, it’s true that when Massey (71’) and Porter (75’) came on we did improve up front, but we can’t expect these normally automatic selections to give a full 90 minutes repeatedly every four days without some respite. I thought Sembie Ferris earned his pay chasing and defending. For Saturday, Massey, Porter and Murphy must start, but credit where it is due to Tony Humes.

Yeovil did marginally have the better of the first half, but some super defending and a couple of fine saves by Sam Walker maintained the stalemate. The ‘centre back’ combination of South African international Captain, Bongani Khumalo, with Tom Eastman; with Guyanan (called up yesterday) international, Matthew Briggs and Elliott Hewitt at ‘full backs’ gave our ‘back four’ a confidence lacking since Latvian international Kaspers Gorkks departed WHCS. Blimey, when was the last season that we had so many international defenders? This to me defines our season. Hampered by injuries to our own centre backs, but when we have got it right with temporary signings we have done OK, but sadly, Packwood, Osborne, Kepkawa (et al) couldn’t deliver what Gorkks and Khumalo evidently can.

One of the highlights of my career was meeting KwaZulu Chief Buthelezi in full regalia; an awesome warrior, leader, diplomat and a man of great dignity and stature. I wonder if we have just found another great South African leader that can inspire the U’s to safety…. As Buthelezi might have said.....

Siyakwamukela Bongani Khumalo. Ungase ube nje umholi sidinga. Sicela ungene ngemvume unomphela ... ithande Noah4x4 futhi bonke South Stand.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2015 9:51]
U's 2 - 0 Yeovil - Noah's View on 18:26 - Mar 18 with 547 viewsbwildered

The difference between the two sides was Murphy's pace, out ran the right back to be brought down for the penalty and outpaced the back four to cooly slot home just five mins later from a excellent forward pass by Moncur .
Sembie -Ferris struggled on attempting to beat his marker but worked hard when not in possesion .
Khumulo was excellent in defence, but playing Healy upfront with the two wide man was a complete non starter has his game is running after ball which asks the question why Bonne did not play, has Poter was rested ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's 2 - 0 Yeovil - Noah's View on 19:03 - Mar 18 with 539 viewsdurham_exile

U's 2 - 0 Yeovil - Noah's View on 18:26 - Mar 18 by bwildered

The difference between the two sides was Murphy's pace, out ran the right back to be brought down for the penalty and outpaced the back four to cooly slot home just five mins later from a excellent forward pass by Moncur .
Sembie -Ferris struggled on attempting to beat his marker but worked hard when not in possesion .
Khumulo was excellent in defence, but playing Healy upfront with the two wide man was a complete non starter has his game is running after ball which asks the question why Bonne did not play, has Poter was rested ?

Thanks bwildered, I was going to ask about Jacob Murphy. He may turn out to be an inspired loan signing.

Up the resurgent U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024