Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ups and downs 20:31 - Mar 28 with 445 viewswessex_exile

If you count moving from Div 3S to Div 3 in 1958, the U's have been promoted 8 times and relegated 7 times. In a season where we might potentially level the score, what's been your favourite, what's been your annus horribilis?

I will avoid the obvious in both regards - I'll vote best as our promotion in 76/77, bouncing straight back from relegation the previous season, and with certainly the best U's team I have had the pleasure to regularly watch (i.e. before being exiled in '80). This one was celebrated via short wave radio somewhere near Edale with my dear departed mate John D.

Worst - the kick in the guts that was our return to the basement in 80/81, after challenging for promotion every season before that - and coinciding with the start of my period in exile (in Bradford). I spent the nearly the next decade afar, unable to support the U's how I wanted to, just looking on almost helpless as we at times flattered to deceive, but ultimately drifted almost inexorably and inevitably towards the Conference.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Ups and downs on 18:55 - Mar 30 with 387 viewsbwildered

Everyone of us can recall their first promotion season with fondness. So have to pick 1973-74, Jim Smith made some great signings, so just could not wait until Fri evenings, when most matches where played . Walker, Harford , Morgan , Smith and Packer must have been a has good a defence has any since. The underrated Phil Thomas wide, and the finisher all teams need, Svarc did the damage .
The years after relegation in 1981 back in Div 4 ( L2) must be the most puzzling, some great players in Chamberlain, Osbourne, Tony English, Bowen, Groves and some subline finishes from Adcock, were the highlights, but there is where the problem perhaps lies, with no solid defence, though Keith Day and Andy Farrell did good service .
We should all be lucky to live in a town with a club that plays to a decent standard of football, has very many others wish they could too.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024