Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summertime footy here stateside, USA and Canada, MLS 16:20 - May 11 with 524 viewsBarsidepete

MLS season is now. And I've always, quite frankly, enjoyed the Women's World Cup, so that will be a nice diversion this summer, as well.

The MLS--and for those unaware, it's from spring till autumn--the quality of play is improving continuously. And read that Toronto FC this Sunday had 30,226 v Houston Dynamo, and the NY Red Bulls v NYCFC (Man City's US club) in their first meeting ever, attracted 25,217, both sell-outs.

Attendance league-wide is so far averaging 20,488, up from 19,148 last season. And here come Lampard and Gerrard... average attendance in The Championship, 2014/15? 17,870, so not too bad for the MLS... Bradley Wright-Phillips had a brace for Red Bulls v NY Man City, erm, NYCFC this weekend. And David Villa is one who featured for NYCFC, haha.

DC United is, in fairness, pulling in around 16-17,000, but part of the reason is they play in the antiquated Robert F Kennedy stadium, very cavernous, with a 50,000 capacity when it was home to the Washington Redskins, who now play at Fed Ex Field, in Landover, Maryland, just east of Washington.

On the 28th of July we get Chelsea v Barcelona in the International Champions Cup at Fed Ex. That will be a good 75,000. Plus other big clubs who opt to play friendlies here, whether in DC or in other venues around the US. I recall one year when it was DC United 4-0 v Celtic

Plenty for football fans to occupy their time over the summer. Barring that, Washington Nationals baseball, which may attract 30,000 per day over seven games, two different visiting teams --that calculates to 210,000 possibly in one week. And baseball plays nearly every day, over a 162 game season. Mind-boggling, but yes, 162 games over 6 months before a month's worth of playoffs.

And so happens, DC United is building a footy-specific brand new stadium right near Nationals Park. We are quite nuts about sports here. That doesn't even include the ice hockey Washington Capitals and the basketball Washington Wizards who are presently still in the playoffs.

Easy peasy for us across the pond till Colchester United gets back in gear, August, and then we can again chew on nails

[Post edited 11 May 2015 18:29]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Summertime footy here stateside, USA and Canada, MLS on 18:38 - May 11 with 477 viewsBarsidepete

I'll bump the thread this way. There is no logical reason for some Prem stars that some believe are past their prime, or stars who are bench-warmers, to not play here. We get internationals from this side of the hemisphere already. And over from Europe as well.

And that's young talent.

I believe the Championship will become weaker, as there is no way they consider that their first alternative.

Plus, our supporters are nice. You don't have to separate em into designated sections. They sit side by side. Shocking, I know.

You need a pretty good footy fix, check out Major League Soccer this summer.

Summertime footy here stateside, USA and Canada, MLS on 19:43 - May 11 with 465 viewsLeadbelly

I quite enjoy a couple of months off football. Cricket takes over for me and I'll be at Lords for both NZ and Australia tests plus a few days at Essex...with Noah scoring at Castle Park. Plus it's festival season.

Regarding nice fans in north american sports...when I went to an NHL game in Calgary I was told crowd trouble is quite frequent at Flames v Oilers fixtures. Local derby I suppose.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Summertime footy here stateside, USA and Canada, MLS on 19:59 - May 11 with 459 viewsBarsidepete

Summertime footy here stateside, USA and Canada, MLS on 19:43 - May 11 by Leadbelly

I quite enjoy a couple of months off football. Cricket takes over for me and I'll be at Lords for both NZ and Australia tests plus a few days at Essex...with Noah scoring at Castle Park. Plus it's festival season.

Regarding nice fans in north american sports...when I went to an NHL game in Calgary I was told crowd trouble is quite frequent at Flames v Oilers fixtures. Local derby I suppose.

Canadians are bit like Brits at football, in relation to ice hockey up noofth.

In the states we are civil. Um, for the most part. The worst thing that can happen is a few beers being thrown on your back. But the stewards and then coppers, will make you regret you did that. Both the antagonizers and the culpri*cks

But then, you can sit with like a dozen beers through the games. No time restriction to when you cannot go up and get another one.

Tail-gating, that's a term some should look up. People park, barbecue in the outer parking lot ... then go in after sometimes hours of "revelry."

Vancouver Canucks v Calgary Flames, that was hot and heated.

Vancouver v Calgary playoff game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024