Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Weird pressies your mum or dad got you 04:42 - Dec 22 with 545 viewsBarsidepete

Mum tonight gave me an early pressie, a carton (10 pack) of Marlboro's ... Mums can be weird

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Weird pressies your mum or dad got you on 06:28 - Dec 22 with 534 viewsmrhappy

a bent table football game where you can only score a one end ...mmm

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

Weird pressies your mum or dad got you on 08:21 - Dec 24 with 467 viewsnoah4x4

When I was aged about seven my dad hand built me a magnificent wooden fort from scraps of waste wood. I ungratefully responded to enquire "where are my archers and swordsmen" as all the plastic soldiers that came with it were bandsmen (drummers etc.).

His response; "if you had eaten as many cornflakes as I have in the last six months you might understand". It never dawned on me until some years later how poor we actually were. He had collected the (Kelloggs) plastic soldiers for over a year to give me the best Xmas ever.

He made many of my Xmas presents thereafter. I enjoyed the best wooden lorry, the best "hot wheels" car racing track (120 feet of plastic roof guttering to the garden bottom) and eventually the fastest "trolley" (go-cart) in the street made from old pram wheels that converted to a sledge in winter. All the kids in the street wanted what I had got because a vist to my dads shed was always an adventure, not the least because he bred budgerigars and we could play pirates and parrots in the jungle.

Although I am now blessed with affluence, my dad tought me a lesson I will never forget. Maybe today's kids have everything too easy? Maybe a life on 'benefits' has become too easy a lifestyle choice for too many parents? I certainly don't hanker for a return to the austrity of the 1950's, but some of its better values and activities might be welcome today.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2015 8:22]
Weird pressies your mum or dad got you on 08:28 - Dec 24 with 462 viewsgerry_us

Weird pressies your mum or dad got you on 08:21 - Dec 24 by noah4x4

When I was aged about seven my dad hand built me a magnificent wooden fort from scraps of waste wood. I ungratefully responded to enquire "where are my archers and swordsmen" as all the plastic soldiers that came with it were bandsmen (drummers etc.).

His response; "if you had eaten as many cornflakes as I have in the last six months you might understand". It never dawned on me until some years later how poor we actually were. He had collected the (Kelloggs) plastic soldiers for over a year to give me the best Xmas ever.

He made many of my Xmas presents thereafter. I enjoyed the best wooden lorry, the best "hot wheels" car racing track (120 feet of plastic roof guttering to the garden bottom) and eventually the fastest "trolley" (go-cart) in the street made from old pram wheels that converted to a sledge in winter. All the kids in the street wanted what I had got because a vist to my dads shed was always an adventure, not the least because he bred budgerigars and we could play pirates and parrots in the jungle.

Although I am now blessed with affluence, my dad tought me a lesson I will never forget. Maybe today's kids have everything too easy? Maybe a life on 'benefits' has become too easy a lifestyle choice for too many parents? I certainly don't hanker for a return to the austrity of the 1950's, but some of its better values and activities might be welcome today.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2015 8:22]

"Post of the week Noah".
I had very similar upbringing only my Dad was unfortunately "not" very good with his hands. Luckily he never made me a cart or I may not be here now!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024