Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight 16:50 - Oct 27 with 1673 viewsdurham_exile

Well this has been an exciting week in the annals of Colchester United — two home victories against two of the more challenging sides in the league and this has propelled the U’s to 9th in the table.

Then we have a home draw in the FA Cup 1st Round against Marine AFC which, and no disrespect here, should see the U’s comfortably through to Round 2 on the 7th November. Finally, our second Away match in a few days against Scunny has been postponed after 8 of their players and staff tested positive for COVID-19.

Before that of course we have an intriguing game at Rodney Parade against the league leaders Newport County managed by Michael Flynn. Now Flynn is one of those managers that I dislike, cannot tell you why, I just disagree with his methods and smarmy way that he conducts himself also the smugness with which he behaved after their Cup heroics in recent seasons. Anyway, I am sure he does not care what I think about him!

Newport are a workmanlike side who have managed the parting of the ways with Jamille Matt without incident and will be a tough nut to crack this evening at 7pm. But here is the thing this league is wide open, and they may be the early pacesetters, but there is no reason why Colchester cannot prevail in South Wales this evening.

Now I am beginning to learn very quickly that SB is going to achieve results for his charges through attrition rather than expansive attacking football and so I need to reassess my strategy. Sadly, he is not going to play 4,3,3 with the three attackers Norris, Brown and Bohui preferring a 4,5,1 even at home and so I need to get with the programme. I may not like it, but it seems to be bearing fruit.

I have watched every league game this season through iFollow and I am disappointed first that MTC clearly did not work out at the club (one appearance of 20 minutes at Reading) when on a season long loan made him the ghost of Christmas Present. This after Macca Bonne was the ghost of Christmas Past. Then we produced a rabbit out of the hat to obtain a very exciting young player from Breda via Manchester United, namely Josh Bohui who looks like becoming the ghost of Christmas Future.

He has shown through cameo appearances, limited to 8 minutes, that he is quick, pacy, skilful and has an eye for goal. I thought that he would play on Saturday at home to Harrogate but he didn’t even come on as a sub. SB used Brown as a lone striker, but he was isolated too often then when Norris replaced him on 71 minutes he became the lone ranger (striker) in his place and the skilful Chilvers was replaced by Sowunmi at the same time and Poku was replaced by Senior on 77 minutes. We dropped deeper and deeper and it became a struggle a war of attrition. But the result was ground out after goals by Harriott and the outstanding Stevenson.

At Newport SB is unlikely to be expansive and so we can expect another turgid 4,5,1 formation. SB may be getting results, but he is never going to win friends or influence people with these tactics. But does he care, probably not. The aim must be to get out of this league and if these methods are effective, then they will persist.

In truth the only area where I disagree with SB is upfront. Defence and midfield are perfectly fine.

So, expect the following tonight:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell Stevenson Chilvers

Poku Harriott

Brown

Subs:
George Sowunmi Senior Norris Scarlett Gambin Bohui

I would replace Harriott and Poku with Norris and Bohui in the starting line-up but that is not going to happen, so I need to accept it.

The advantage of playing Newport now is that their pitch has yet to resemble a ploughed field and therefore our style of play will be reasonably well suited to the conditions.

The Newport weather is going to be 8 degrees Celsius tonight with rain showers.

Notwithstanding the severity of the test tonight, Colchester can secure a third successive victory for the first time in the league since April 2018 and thus inflict a first and second goal against the Exiles for their first time in 299 minutes of football.

Enjoy the game, and a Colchester victory by 2-1.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:12 - Oct 27 with 920 viewsdurham_exile

Team
Gerken
Cheers Pell Stevenson
Harriott Senior
Norris

George Sowumni brown Scarlett Poku Gambin Bohui

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:19 - Oct 27 with 915 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:12 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Team
Gerken
Cheers Pell Stevenson
Harriott Senior
Norris

George Sowumni brown Scarlett Poku Gambin Bohui

Up the U's

With a U's all time great, Peter Wright, in the middle tonight, how can we fail!
Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:22 - Oct 27 with 912 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:19 - Oct 27 by gerry_us

With a U's all time great, Peter Wright, in the middle tonight, how can we fail!

Took a moment to realise who "Cheers" was as well

Goddamn predictive text

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:25 - Oct 27 with 910 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:22 - Oct 27 by wessex_exile

Took a moment to realise who "Cheers" was as well

Goddamn predictive text

LOL

Up the U's

Chilvers could become one of the greats if we can hold onto him

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:35 - Oct 27 with 903 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:25 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

LOL

Up the U's

Agree - he's impressed from what I've seen so far

Up the U's

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:36 - Oct 27 with 903 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:25 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

LOL

Up the U's

Senior again. Groan, can I face it.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:09 - Oct 27 with 887 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 18:36 - Oct 27 by Moor_Pinot

Senior again. Groan, can I face it.

Labadie should have been booked for that simulation

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:13 - Oct 27 with 884 viewsnoah4x4

Usual pattern, Harriott and Senior unable to retain ball or pass it.
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:20 - Oct 27 with 879 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:13 - Oct 27 by noah4x4

Usual pattern, Harriott and Senior unable to retain ball or pass it.

Norris isolated as well

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:23 - Oct 27 with 873 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:20 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Norris isolated as well

Pell didn't need to throw the ball back to Eastman
Should always go forward

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:28 - Oct 27 with 865 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:23 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Pell didn't need to throw the ball back to Eastman
Should always go forward

Labadie deservedly booked for simulation

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:28 - Oct 27 with 865 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:09 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Labadie should have been booked for that simulation

Justice done later
Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:30 - Oct 27 with 863 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:28 - Oct 27 by noah4x4

Justice done later

Harriott now booked but Sheehan should also have been cautioned

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:32 - Oct 27 with 861 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:30 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Harriott now booked but Sheehan should also have been cautioned

Challenge on Chuck I've seen them given

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:34 - Oct 27 with 860 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:32 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Challenge on Chuck I've seen them given

Typical Flynn team dirty and play acting

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:49 - Oct 27 with 848 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:34 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Typical Flynn team dirty and play acting

To be honest, although Newport are controlling a lot of the game, we still carry a threat up front. Norris doing well on scraps, some good control and distribution, and that looked like a nailed on penalty with my blue-tinted specs.

Up the U's

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:53 - Oct 27 with 844 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:49 - Oct 27 by wessex_exile

To be honest, although Newport are controlling a lot of the game, we still carry a threat up front. Norris doing well on scraps, some good control and distribution, and that looked like a nailed on penalty with my blue-tinted specs.

Fine margins

Newport are not as good as the hype. FRankly Carlisle have caused up more trouble than any other team so far.

Norris has played really well.
He needs support. Can we please see Josh Bohui second half and not just 8 minutes.

The win is still on.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:10 - Oct 27 with 826 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 19:53 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Fine margins

Newport are not as good as the hype. FRankly Carlisle have caused up more trouble than any other team so far.

Norris has played really well.
He needs support. Can we please see Josh Bohui second half and not just 8 minutes.

The win is still on.
Up the U's

And that is what happens when you sit back inviting pressure.

Change it up Ball

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:15 - Oct 27 with 814 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:10 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

And that is what happens when you sit back inviting pressure.

Change it up Ball

Brown and Bohui for Harriott and Senior is what he needs to do.

Failure to change will only confirm our defeat

Come on be bold

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:18 - Oct 27 with 808 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:15 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Brown and Bohui for Harriott and Senior is what he needs to do.

Failure to change will only confirm our defeat

Come on be bold

Poku and Brown on for Norris and Pell

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:19 - Oct 27 with 806 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:18 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Poku and Brown on for Norris and Pell

Still only one up front
Norris had been playing well.

Will be see the ghost of Christmas future tonight for 8 mins

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:20 - Oct 27 with 801 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:19 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Still only one up front
Norris had been playing well.

Will be see the ghost of Christmas future tonight for 8 mins

Pell still unfit I reckon

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:23 - Oct 27 with 798 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:20 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Pell still unfit I reckon

Also I am seething hearing just what a good player Bohui is and then once he is not playing.

Get Senior off and Bohui on

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:28 - Oct 27 with 787 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:23 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Also I am seething hearing just what a good player Bohui is and then once he is not playing.

Get Senior off and Bohui on

Harriott unlucky with a long range effort.

At least we are giving it a go now

Come on attack attack attack attack attack

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:36 - Oct 27 with 777 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Exiles in the Principality tonight on 20:28 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Harriott unlucky with a long range effort.

At least we are giving it a go now

Come on attack attack attack attack attack

Josh Bohui coming on after 77 minutes

Frankly 77 minutes too late but at least he gets about 13 minutes tonight. Harriott off

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024