Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is shocking 17:09 - Dec 4 with 421 viewsLeadbelly

Linesman in a Dutch sunday league game attacked and killed by players. Beggars belief. It's only a game FFS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20595046

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

This is shocking on 18:19 - Dec 4 with 412 viewsnoah4x4

This Dutch incident is quite horrific.

To my mind, it further vindicates today's strict pitch perimeter stewarding and the severe penalties now incurred by those that trespass on the pitch. I was disappointed to see the lack of control (and lack of spectator restraint) last week at the M K Stadium (v the Dons); and a week prior to that; the boos from a small sector of the U's crowd when a spectator violated the WHCS playing area and was (courteously) ejected. Given the recent serious incident where goalkeeper Chris Kirkland was punched by a fan, we must protect players and officials from the occasional mindless yob. Gone are the days of innocent fan pitch invasions and of Erica Roe wobbling her breasts for the cameras. I feel that today, one cannot ever compromise on stadium security or player safety.

But how on earth does one ever legislate for 'player' on 'player/official' serious violence (as in this instance), be this in a professional stadium or on the local playing field?

Whether rugby or soccer, we occasionally see a flash point and fisticuffs. I have even witnessed it in local cricket. It's perhaps human nature despite players knowing it is wrong and later regret it. But fortunately other players usually quickly and positively intervein to diffuse things. However, it wasn't always like that. I recall the Lions rugby team (of the 70's?) having the infamous "99" call which meant all pile in. The subsequent fall out from that tour perhaps changed attitudes suffice to mean that today, it is normally just two hot heads with handbags and over in a moment. Disciplinary codes have since been defined for both footballing codes, and violent conduct is harshly penalised. But in this Dutch incident, it does sounds like a return to feral pack animal violence.

Sadly, assaults on officials are perhaps more common than we think, notwithstanding that one has probably never previously resulted in the death of an official. Earlier today, Reuters reported that Bulgarian footballer, Cherno More Varna defender, Sasho Alexandrov, has earned a six-match ban for deliberately running into and body checking the referee after a penalty was awarded for his sloppy tackle on a Levski Sofia player last weekend.

Numerous campaigns have (globally) been run by Cities emphasising that "one punch can kill". Alexandrov's attack could easily have resulted in serious injury for the referee, and I find it astonishing that his ban is so short. I guess that in Britain he may even have been arrested for assault.

FIFA and EUFA must now firmly react to this Dutch incident - and itself emphasise that "One punch/violent act can kill" - and here I don't mean a over vigorous tackle. I don't think this response is an over reaction - a man is dead.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024