Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opportunist of pessimist 17:51 - Jan 2 with 799 viewsbwildered

Happy New Year to all.

Having just turned 2013 and another defeat just recorded who is opportunistic than JD will sort out this mess, or pessimistic that the drop is inevitable ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Opportunist of pessimist on 19:34 - Jan 2 with 783 viewsdurham_exile

Happy New Year bwildered!

I am always optimistic when it comes to Col U.

Problem is after 7 successsive defeats the writing is on the wall.

The last time that I can remember such a wretched run was in 1975/76

We endured 6 straight defeats to Palace 0-3, Dover 1-4, Preston 1-2, Mansfield 0-2, Palace 2-3 and Halifax 0-1

However later in the season we lost another 7 successive matches; Palace 0-3, Peterboro 1-3, Brighton 0-6, Hereford 1-4, Rotherham 0-2, Chesterfield 2-3 and Shrewsbury 0-1

I especially remember the second 7 because I watched every game!!!!

I suppose what I am saying is that I have never known Colchester to lose 8 successive games in 40 years.

Doncaster therefore becomes the most vital game ever as far as I am concerned. The only salvation is that they have lost 5 at home.

I think another hopeless defeat and we will not only be in the bottom four but we may never recover this season.

We need a striker and fast - problem is who is available.

JD may not survive an eighth or ninth successive defeat, managers have gone for a lot less.

Parky will not come back to Col U now, so it looks like JD and MK to tough it out!

We simply cannot afford to lose on saturday.

Up the U's

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Durham_exile

Opportunist of pessimist on 20:26 - Jan 2 with 776 viewsHellasblue

Saturday and an unlikely harvesting of points at The Keepmoat is indeed oh so vital; the drop is looking increasingly likely. The Pompey points deduction MAY assist our plight but it really should be in the U's hands.

No confidence, shaky defence and minimal goal threat does not bode well.

Sack JD? Hmmm ... is the problem a lack of motivation in the dressing room, or are our players simply not adept enough to cope at this level? I suspect some are, some aren't but many others here are better qualified to judge.

I am afraid that this slide may continue, yet the faith must be kept.

Up the U's!

:)
Opportunist of pessimist (n/t) on 13:42 - Jan 3 with 754 viewsBluenWightExile

.Admire Durham's optimism, always have.
But sadly agree things do look particularly bad.
Considering all this it seems to me that we have been steadily declining sine we came down from the CCC. Our excellent youth setup is still too new for its already promising output to be ultimately reliable. Isolated individuals from that source like Woody are not enough. Equally those we do grow need greater demonstrated loyalty. Halford took awhile for this, it is beyond Woody who has no stomach for a fight. Regrettably he is not alone. So in analysis my feeling for what that's worth is that we do not have enough committed players nor enough quality. Despite what has been posted about div 1 being weak, I doubt it. They are all trying to grow their business and to improve. The gap between 1 and 2 is greater than it was, look how many Swindons come straight back up. No, I fear, that for whatever other reasons many setups are simply 'growing' better than the I'd - Yeovil, Orient, Tranmere, Brentford, Swindon, MK, Crewe, Notts, for example, whilst only Carlisle and Oldham seem to be treading water.
We are pleased Joe is playing the right way but he may be finding like JW did that he is limited by what we currently have at Cuckoo Farm. From my observations we have 5 or 6 decent players but I am unconvinced by the rest and do not believe Mr Rowling should change our management. If we go down we may be there for a long time. Rebuilding starts now, both Wignall and Whitton showed that they could keep a poor squad up - like Noah4x4 has said 'there is something to fight for this season' - Yes......but it's going to be very very hard this time. Up the U's
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Pinault-noir

Opportunist of pessimist on 16:35 - Jan 3 with 745 viewsnoah4x4

I am resigned to a defeat at the Keepmoat. Donny would be top of the league if they hadn't played one game less (and if they score three against CUFC they will be). Let's be realistic about our prospects, despite QPR's unexpected miracle result at Chelsea.

But a defeat doesn't mean that we automatically drop into the relegation zone. Portsmouth will probably lose at Walsall (and will soon have ten points deducted) and I reckon Scunny v Shrewsbury has 0-0 written all over it. The rest don't play, and we have a game in hand over Bury that are also in financial pooh too.

But now consider our next four fixtures (after Donny);

Scunthorpe Home
Hartlepool Away
Walsall Home
Portsmouth Away.

Our season has now become a mini league compressed into thirty days that may define our entire season. It's smple; win against this lot and we stay up. Lose against all..and it is ooops. Draw and we still have a chance of being OK.

I fancy that we will take nine points from twelve - taking us to 32. We then have another 15 tough fixtures to snatch perhaps another 10 points to be safe, but we do still have to play some other relegation rivals; Bury, Oldham, Shrewsbury.

I am an optimist - I reckon we will be out of the mire and rising up the table within 30 days from now (but not quite like Durham who had us in the top six after I was half way through opening my Advent calender).

Frankly, we were not that bad at Crawley - just two horrendous kids playground defensive mistakes - and missed opportunities to equalise Crawleys deserved opening goal.

Let's go with Joe. Up the U's

Opportunist of pessimist on 19:29 - Jan 3 with 726 viewsGate16

I'm not optimistic at all - I wish I was.

To get out of this I think we need fighters, seasoned pros not a load of youngsters. Don't get me wrong, there will always be a place for good youngsters like Drey but you must have your experience too - think about the likes of Wayne Brown, Kevin Watson, Jamie Cureton, Aidan Davidson.

Unless Joe (or sad to say if it his replacement but only RC controls this) can get in three or four experienced players be them permanent or loan, i think we'll be pushed to get out of this.
Opportunist of pessimist on 21:33 - Jan 3 with 713 viewsdurham_exile

Opportunist of pessimist on 19:29 - Jan 3 by Gate16

I'm not optimistic at all - I wish I was.

To get out of this I think we need fighters, seasoned pros not a load of youngsters. Don't get me wrong, there will always be a place for good youngsters like Drey but you must have your experience too - think about the likes of Wayne Brown, Kevin Watson, Jamie Cureton, Aidan Davidson.

Unless Joe (or sad to say if it his replacement but only RC controls this) can get in three or four experienced players be them permanent or loan, i think we'll be pushed to get out of this.

Ok Guys - now I know that I predicted a top six finish for the U's this season and of course if we won our remaining games then we would finish top six but sadly we are in a relegation fight.

But there are four worse teams in the league and that is the principal hope that I believe we can all cling onto.

Someome once said you can't win anything with kids but JD is beginning to form a young team who want to play for the U's.

JD has been exceptionally unlucky to bring in three tremendous players on loan and to lose them all - two to injury and the remaining player may or may not rejoin the U's.

Dominic Samuel may be the answer to our goalscoring ills.

JD may not know his best XI yet but he has a good mix of experience and youth.

While Woody remains at the club he should be thrust into action, after all if he wants Championship football his lacklustre performances are hardly going to encourage would be suitors.

One thing is sure, the predators will circle and wait until he is a free agent in May.

So in my opinion JD needs to look at the following to dig us out of the hole that we have dug for ourselves.

I think that we can win at the Keepmoat, they have lost 5 times and surrendered a two goal advantage to the Blades and had Billy Paynter sent off.

I will think more about the team tomorrow but for now:

Cousins
Pentney

Wilson
White
Eastman
Thompson
Magnus
Rose
Heath

Bond
Bean
Izzet
Woody
Compton
Porter
Massey
Wright
Gilbey
Henderson

Samuel
Morrison
Sears
Ladapo

and possibly Ibehre

Have the task of securing the 27 points that we need for survival from 21 games.

Keep the faith

The season starts Saturday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Opportunist of pessimist on 17:53 - Jan 5 with 677 viewsnoah4x4

Opportunist of pessimist on 16:35 - Jan 3 by noah4x4

I am resigned to a defeat at the Keepmoat. Donny would be top of the league if they hadn't played one game less (and if they score three against CUFC they will be). Let's be realistic about our prospects, despite QPR's unexpected miracle result at Chelsea.

But a defeat doesn't mean that we automatically drop into the relegation zone. Portsmouth will probably lose at Walsall (and will soon have ten points deducted) and I reckon Scunny v Shrewsbury has 0-0 written all over it. The rest don't play, and we have a game in hand over Bury that are also in financial pooh too.

But now consider our next four fixtures (after Donny);

Scunthorpe Home
Hartlepool Away
Walsall Home
Portsmouth Away.

Our season has now become a mini league compressed into thirty days that may define our entire season. It's smple; win against this lot and we stay up. Lose against all..and it is ooops. Draw and we still have a chance of being OK.

I fancy that we will take nine points from twelve - taking us to 32. We then have another 15 tough fixtures to snatch perhaps another 10 points to be safe, but we do still have to play some other relegation rivals; Bury, Oldham, Shrewsbury.

I am an optimist - I reckon we will be out of the mire and rising up the table within 30 days from now (but not quite like Durham who had us in the top six after I was half way through opening my Advent calender).

Frankly, we were not that bad at Crawley - just two horrendous kids playground defensive mistakes - and missed opportunities to equalise Crawleys deserved opening goal.

Let's go with Joe. Up the U's

Told ya so - Walsall win - Sunny 0-0.

Our mini season starts Saturday

Ever hopeful. Up u U's
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024