Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day 07:26 - Dec 26 with 700 viewsdurham_exile

It is fitting that Graham Westley and his Stevenage charges should arrive in Town on Boxing Day!

However the Feast of St Stephen has nothing to do with pugilistic competition, rather it is a day when in the Middle Ages servants who had worked on Christmas Day received their Christmas Boxes from their employers, it is also believed that Church Alms Boxes were opened to distribute to the poor of the parish.

Now buoyed by their splendid win at Boundary Park Colchester need to approach the next two home games with professionalism in order to secure the maximum points. There can be little charity handed out to either Stevenage or Crewe. WHCS must become a fortress.

I really enjoyed the game at Boundary Park, not least because not only were we good value for the win, but also it was the manner of that victory and a determination to ensure a clean sheet after the appalling performance against the Magpies.

JD also came to salute the faithful after the game. Great stuff.

Now Santa will have delivered presents to the team and they will have enjoyed a light lunch and plenty of non-alcoholic beverages, but what the faithful want to see is the opportunity to start flirting with the top six. This league is very open and no places are yet secured at either the top or the bottom.

Just like Santa JD is announcing tantalisingly almost daily that players are coming back into contention for starts. Sanchez Watt will definitely see some game time today, albeit as a second half substitute. Freddie Sears may also grace the WHCS playing surface later on.

Therefore I think that JD will start with an unchanged team in a 4,2,3,1 formation:

Walker

Wilson Magnus Eastman Garbutt

Wright Bean

Vose Eastmond Turgott

Ibehre

Subs:
Cousins, Olufemi, Dickson, Gilbey, Sears, Watt, Morrison

Expect a very welcome return for Sanchez Watt and Freddie Sears second half for Vose and Turgott. Dickson will probably also put in a second half appearance.

I think that Colchester can approach these Christmas fixtures with more than a degree of optimism. Slightly larger festive crowds should help the coffers or Christmas Boxes but it is 6 points that we all really, really want rather than Old Spice!

A double over the Franchise and the excitement will grow still further.

More importantly Sam Walker and Luke Garbutt are more likely to stay longer if we keep winning and look as though we can achieve a top six finish!

Enjoy the game and the Festive Fare at the WHCS.

Up the resurgent U’s

Durham_exile

Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 16:40 - Dec 26 with 662 viewsBarsidepete

Eastmond with a brace now.

Goodness, was not expecting this, 4-nil now

Happy Happy Joy Joy Boxing Day!

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 17:40 - Dec 26 with 652 viewsdurham_exile

Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 16:40 - Dec 26 by Barsidepete

Eastmond with a brace now.

Goodness, was not expecting this, 4-nil now

Happy Happy Joy Joy Boxing Day!

More of the same on Sunday please.

Enjoy the Christmas Holidays Pete

Up the resurgent and top six aspiring U's

Durham_exile

Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 18:41 - Dec 26 with 641 viewsbwildered

A tale of two keepers in this Boxing Day clash. Early two goal lead thanks to the Stevenage keeper Day who dropped the first under pressure in the six yard box and then elected to punch the next cross, but without any distance which resulted with both errors punished. A brilliant team goal which was finished with a tap in before the break and all was well. Although Day did redeem himself to his team mates with a great save from a free kick .
But let's not forget big Sam's contribution in the second half with two stunning saves in keeping a clean sheet, one low down and the other clawing away another in the top left corner.
A welcome return and some nice touches by Watt, was a extra bonus for the U's .
Strangely a spell of giving the ball away midway in the second half was the blot in and a otherwise decent performance .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 19:14 - Dec 26 with 634 viewswessex_exile

Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 18:41 - Dec 26 by bwildered

A tale of two keepers in this Boxing Day clash. Early two goal lead thanks to the Stevenage keeper Day who dropped the first under pressure in the six yard box and then elected to punch the next cross, but without any distance which resulted with both errors punished. A brilliant team goal which was finished with a tap in before the break and all was well. Although Day did redeem himself to his team mates with a great save from a free kick .
But let's not forget big Sam's contribution in the second half with two stunning saves in keeping a clean sheet, one low down and the other clawing away another in the top left corner.
A welcome return and some nice touches by Watt, was a extra bonus for the U's .
Strangely a spell of giving the ball away midway in the second half was the blot in and a otherwise decent performance .

Would be excellent to build on this one against Crewe, and I was delighted to not only see Sanchez Watt back on the pitch, but that he has been credited with the assist for our fourth as well. We've missed him...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 21:00 - Dec 26 with 618 viewsnoah4x4

I think an awful lot of credit should go to my MOM; Dominic Vose. After a few scratchy performances (probably not fully match sharp?), he was tremendous today; as a playmaker that genuinely made things happen. He reminded me a little of Kevin Watson; but stronger.

David Wright has been sorely missed in front of the back four. Both Vose and Wright then allowed Craig Eastmond more freedom to express himself in a sound midfield. Whilst on occasion we were again exposed down the flanks by attackers with pace; they were more easily snuffed out; as the back four and midfield did seem to have a system of cover and then outlets on recovering the ball. This was a confident U's that we have rarely seen this season (or last). The only blot was a disappointing Morrison; who seemed content once four goals up to make up the numbers and chase little.

Now let's consider the fact that our remaining fixtures against the bottom six are largely at home. That should give us confidence that we can comfortably avoid relegation. Then our remaining fixtures against the top six are largely at home (e.g. except Orient and Wolves) and having taken points away at Preston; Rotherham; Bradford (etc) they won't relish coming to WHCS. Three more points against Crewe and I wonder...is a a play off place beyond our reach?

All to please note; the Victoria Inn is opening on Sunday at noon especially for us. You can buy hot food in North Station Road and the landlord doesn't mind you bringing it back into the pub (is that unique?). Great atmosphere on match days too.
Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 15:42 - Dec 27 with 549 viewsBarsidepete

Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 21:00 - Dec 26 by noah4x4

I think an awful lot of credit should go to my MOM; Dominic Vose. After a few scratchy performances (probably not fully match sharp?), he was tremendous today; as a playmaker that genuinely made things happen. He reminded me a little of Kevin Watson; but stronger.

David Wright has been sorely missed in front of the back four. Both Vose and Wright then allowed Craig Eastmond more freedom to express himself in a sound midfield. Whilst on occasion we were again exposed down the flanks by attackers with pace; they were more easily snuffed out; as the back four and midfield did seem to have a system of cover and then outlets on recovering the ball. This was a confident U's that we have rarely seen this season (or last). The only blot was a disappointing Morrison; who seemed content once four goals up to make up the numbers and chase little.

Now let's consider the fact that our remaining fixtures against the bottom six are largely at home. That should give us confidence that we can comfortably avoid relegation. Then our remaining fixtures against the top six are largely at home (e.g. except Orient and Wolves) and having taken points away at Preston; Rotherham; Bradford (etc) they won't relish coming to WHCS. Three more points against Crewe and I wonder...is a a play off place beyond our reach?

All to please note; the Victoria Inn is opening on Sunday at noon especially for us. You can buy hot food in North Station Road and the landlord doesn't mind you bringing it back into the pub (is that unique?). Great atmosphere on match days too.

Two clean sheets after that Notts County debacle and as Joe said in his post-match interview, he is standing by an attacking philosophy.

Just watched the highlights from stateside and some crisp passing reminiscent of Arsenal or summat

And Jabo's wondergoal, wow. That must be a candidate for top 10 of the season, have now watched it about 10 times

Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 02:59 - Dec 28 with 504 viewsBarsidepete

Stevenage in Town this Boxing Day on 17:40 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

More of the same on Sunday please.

Enjoy the Christmas Holidays Pete

Up the resurgent and top six aspiring U's

Thanks mate. Indeed. more of the same eh.. Great 2014 ahead. Best to you and yours:)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024