Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! 00:31 - Feb 16 with 50539 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 16 Feb 2014 13:09]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 18:33 - Feb 16 with 1876 viewsShaky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:34 - Feb 16 with 1873 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:32 - Feb 16 by Shaky

Recognise this quote, comrade?

Yes, it's mine. I said right at the start of the thread that I was disappointed with the team selection. I haven't wavered from that view. I'm now arguing the point that you made that Jenkins told Monk to pick a weak side.

What's your latest point?

Poll: Tory leader

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:38 - Feb 16 with 1851 viewsShaky

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:34 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

Yes, it's mine. I said right at the start of the thread that I was disappointed with the team selection. I haven't wavered from that view. I'm now arguing the point that you made that Jenkins told Monk to pick a weak side.

What's your latest point?

My point all along was that Monk would never have had the security of tenure to field a weak team like that without some kind of instruction, nod/wink, etc.

My last point was to note the psychological mechanism known as cognitive dissonance, where information that does not fit in with your preconception of the state of affairs is dissonant and therefore discarded by the brain.

Perhaps Mrs Monmouth can expound on this point.

Misology -- It's a bitch

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:43 - Feb 16 with 1825 viewstomdickharry

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:38 - Feb 16 by Shaky

My point all along was that Monk would never have had the security of tenure to field a weak team like that without some kind of instruction, nod/wink, etc.

My last point was to note the psychological mechanism known as cognitive dissonance, where information that does not fit in with your preconception of the state of affairs is dissonant and therefore discarded by the brain.

To sum up thank god we are out of this crap competition (as it is now) and can focus on the more important games,Liverpool next Sunday.
The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:53 - Feb 16 with 1780 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:38 - Feb 16 by Shaky

If Monk's had any direction from the board it's probably "You're the manager, you pick the team".

And you might want to read your own link on cognitive dissonance. You don't seem to have grasped it properly.

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:54 - Feb 16 with 1764 viewsDarran

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:53 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

If Monk's had any direction from the board it's probably "You're the manager, you pick the team".

And you might want to read your own link on cognitive dissonance. You don't seem to have grasped it properly.

Don't argue with Dimi.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:55 - Feb 16 with 1755 viewsymaohyd

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:43 - Feb 16 by tomdickharry

To sum up thank god we are out of this crap competition (as it is now) and can focus on the more important games,Liverpool next Sunday.

I think the Napoli game is more important, within context. If Liverpool was a home league game, different. Damage limitation next Sunday. That decent goal diff could be vital.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 19:04 - Feb 16 with 1730 viewsShaky

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 18:53 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

Frankly I can't say I have read that link personally.

The truth is I don't get my information on behavioural psychology from wikipedia.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:07 - Feb 16 with 1718 viewsWarwickHunt

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 18:28 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

As my good buddy Warwick would say - semantics.

Although startlingly he probably agrees with you on this one.

Mental.

Did Huw have a big say in our "priorities" - I'd say that was stating the bleedin' obvious.

Let's face it - we threw it...and however you slice it, it was with the chairman's blessing.

I'm amazed it's even being debated. Whether or not it was a wise thing to do is the question, Shirley?
The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:11 - Feb 16 with 1700 viewsShaky

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:07 - Feb 16 by WarwickHunt

Did Huw have a big say in our "priorities" - I'd say that was stating the bleedin' obvious.

Let's face it - we threw it...and however you slice it, it was with the chairman's blessing.

I'm amazed it's even being debated. Whether or not it was a wise thing to do is the question, Shirley?

The great thing though is that it is all great.

If we had won with a weak side like that it would have been great, and now we have lost that is also - well - great because we can now focus 100% on the other priorities; the prem and the UEFA cup (right Huw?).

No matter how you look at it, it's all great, and all that guff about Huw's determination to always compete, can be safely discarded as not great to mention, cause it simply doesn't fit the **current** narrative.

Edit: Exiled, you might also want to look up the term Pollyannish somewhere.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2014 19:13]

Misology -- It's a bitch

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:16 - Feb 16 with 1680 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:07 - Feb 16 by WarwickHunt

How about we agree (as I said pages ago) that Monk clearly prioritised the FA Cup as third on this week's list and selected his team accordingly. I don't agree with that priority or the team he selected and have said so numerous times on this thread. Personally I'd have prioritised the FA Cup over Europe because I'm a big fan of the FA Cup.

Having said all that, the team picked played fairly well and we only lost because of two huge defensive blunders. The predictions of 5-0 catastrophes were well off the mark.

Jenkins' view on this is largely irrelevant. Do I think him and Monk discussed the priorities? Possibly. Do I think he told Monk to pick a weakened team and "throw" the game? Absolute b*llocks. And your suggestion that Monk and Jenkins discuss priorities is a marked backtrack from the earlier implication that Jenkins told Monk what team to pick. That's progress at least.

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:18 - Feb 16 with 1670 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:11 - Feb 16 by Shaky

The great thing though is that it is all great.

If we had won with a weak side like that it would have been great, and now we have lost that is also - well - great because we can now focus 100% on the other priorities; the prem and the UEFA cup (right Huw?).

No matter how you look at it, it's all great, and all that guff about Huw's determination to always compete, can be safely discarded as not great to mention, cause it simply doesn't fit the **current** narrative.

Edit: Exiled, you might also want to look up the term Pollyannish somewhere.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2014 19:13]

It's "Pollyannaish" old son. You've tried to lecture me on two concepts tonight and managed to get them both wrong. You're on a roll.

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:23 - Feb 16 with 1648 viewsAl_Bundy

Think a lot of people forget we played at Stoke in the week. Any niggles risked today would surely have ruled some of the players out of the Napoli and Liverpool games.

We should learn what happens when we constantly put out our best X1 when we have congested amount of matches to play. Injuries galore
The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:28 - Feb 16 with 1621 viewsSpratty

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 18:28 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

As my good buddy Warwick would say - semantics.

Although startlingly he probably agrees with you on this one.

Mental.

Think the difference between Huw picking the team and "agreeing" the approach to team strength selection is more than semantics and to think that the latter is not possible may be somewhat unrealistic.
The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:29 - Feb 16 with 1617 viewsShaky

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:18 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

It's "Pollyannaish" old son. You've tried to lecture me on two concepts tonight and managed to get them both wrong. You're on a roll.

No doubt some will believe that, possibly even yourself included.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Pollyannish

Misology -- It's a bitch

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:38 - Feb 16 with 1579 viewsWarwickHunt

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:16 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

How about we agree (as I said pages ago) that Monk clearly prioritised the FA Cup as third on this week's list and selected his team accordingly. I don't agree with that priority or the team he selected and have said so numerous times on this thread. Personally I'd have prioritised the FA Cup over Europe because I'm a big fan of the FA Cup.

Having said all that, the team picked played fairly well and we only lost because of two huge defensive blunders. The predictions of 5-0 catastrophes were well off the mark.

Jenkins' view on this is largely irrelevant. Do I think him and Monk discussed the priorities? Possibly. Do I think he told Monk to pick a weakened team and "throw" the game? Absolute b*llocks. And your suggestion that Monk and Jenkins discuss priorities is a marked backtrack from the earlier implication that Jenkins told Monk what team to pick. That's progress at least.

Not sure it was me who implied that...

Anyhoo, I find it hard to believe that someone who's spent his entire career at centre-back and most of it as captain would replace both established centre-backs with rookies for a game he/we wanted to win. Add two reserve full backs (one a fairly distant third choice) and a keeper who's struggled lately (two games back - Vorm must have been f*cking knackered...) and it's effectively a capitulation.

If you're really saying it was Monk who picked that team to win then that's scarier than Huw picking it...

Were you happy with Lita coming on and not Wilf for half a poxy f*cking hour at the end with the game up for grabs?

Prioritising is one thing, capitulating is another.
The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 19:39 - Feb 16 with 1571 viewsBloodyhills

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 12:46 - Feb 16 by monmouth

Now I'm nearly lost for words.

I assume we're having a go at Napoli then.....but vasquez and not NGog or Emnes.....sheesh. Lita on the bench....LITA.....

I don't agree with this at all, not one little bit.
(great if we won mind!)

If and when we lose we will be on the end of another righteous battering from all corners, and we have no real defence (a bit like in the game, probably).

Ngog n Emnes are cuptied but it doesn't look like a team that shows we are serious about winning.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:42 - Feb 16 with 1561 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:38 - Feb 16 by WarwickHunt

Not sure it was me who implied that...

Anyhoo, I find it hard to believe that someone who's spent his entire career at centre-back and most of it as captain would replace both established centre-backs with rookies for a game he/we wanted to win. Add two reserve full backs (one a fairly distant third choice) and a keeper who's struggled lately (two games back - Vorm must have been f*cking knackered...) and it's effectively a capitulation.

If you're really saying it was Monk who picked that team to win then that's scarier than Huw picking it...

Were you happy with Lita coming on and not Wilf for half a poxy f*cking hour at the end with the game up for grabs?

Prioritising is one thing, capitulating is another.

For about the eighth time and for the avoidance of any doubt, I haven't and won't defend the team selection, let alone the substitutions. I've also stated a gazillion times that I don't agree with the obvious priority Monk placed on this game.

Yes, I'm saying that Monk picked the team. But I can see that it's about to become perceived wisdom among some who've been bleating since Laudrup was sacked that Jenkins does that these days so on the basis that there's no point trying to debunk such a conspiracy, especially one being espoused with such zeal, I'll leave you all to it.

This post has been edited by an administrator

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:43 - Feb 16 with 1555 viewsShaky

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:42 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

For about the eighth time and for the avoidance of any doubt, I haven't and won't defend the team selection, let alone the substitutions. I've also stated a gazillion times that I don't agree with the obvious priority Monk placed on this game.

Yes, I'm saying that Monk picked the team. But I can see that it's about to become perceived wisdom among some who've been bleating since Laudrup was sacked that Jenkins does that these days so on the basis that there's no point trying to debunk such a conspiracy, especially one being espoused with such zeal, I'll leave you all to it.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Received wisdom, surely

Sincerely,

The Grammar Police

Misology -- It's a bitch

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:46 - Feb 16 with 1546 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:43 - Feb 16 by Shaky

Received wisdom, surely

Sincerely,

The Grammar Police

Received, perceived, conventional. Take your choice.

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:48 - Feb 16 with 1535 viewsWarwickHunt

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:46 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

PIck, Shirley?
The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:54 - Feb 16 with 1505 viewsShaky

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:46 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

I'll have a large one of whatever you're drinking, thanks very much!

Misology -- It's a bitch

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 20:15 - Feb 16 with 1425 viewscontroversial_jack

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Reserves Matchday Thread! on 19:54 - Feb 16 by Shaky

I'll have a large one of whatever you're drinking, thanks very much!

He's probably sober. That's the scary part.
The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 20:16 - Feb 16 with 1417 viewsmonmouth

Cetainly I can dearie. What you have is called cognitive dysentery, also sometimes known as Dimintia.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 20:28 - Feb 16 with 1383 viewsDarran

The Official Everton FC v Swansea City Matchday Thread! on 20:16 - Feb 16 by monmouth

Cetainly I can dearie. What you have is called cognitive dysentery, also sometimes known as Dimintia.

Dimintia.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024