Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Fixing 00:16 - Apr 4 with 12422 viewsDaleFan7

Seems, Cummins may have been one of the naughty ones...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2596135/Seven-Football-League-
Match Fixing on 11:02 - Apr 4 with 3049 viewsBrierls

I do believe in innocent until proven guilty. If Cummins was our player, and the alleged 'incidents' took place while he was our player, then we wouldn't/shouldn't sack him on the spot. BUT...he's not our player, he's a PNE player, and he should go back to Preston to face the music.

He was of very little use to Dale before the news broke, he'll be even less use now that his mind is elsewhere.
Match Fixing on 11:14 - Apr 4 with 3026 viewsdingdangblue

Match Fixing on 11:02 - Apr 4 by Brierls

I do believe in innocent until proven guilty. If Cummins was our player, and the alleged 'incidents' took place while he was our player, then we wouldn't/shouldn't sack him on the spot. BUT...he's not our player, he's a PNE player, and he should go back to Preston to face the music.

He was of very little use to Dale before the news broke, he'll be even less use now that his mind is elsewhere.

his mind is elsewhere? The Grand National?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Fixing on 12:57 - Apr 4 with 2897 viewsMorden

Match Fixing on 09:18 - Apr 4 by Daley_Lama

I think it is right to mention Cav when discussing this as he did this previously.

As you say, Cav carries round the stigmata of that incident, I'm sure he is big enough to cope with people referring to it. As he has shown, it is possible to continue in Football after such an incident.

Equally, I think there should be punishment according to culpability IF found guilty, hence why I mentioned the level that Cav was involved in his incident.

I simply think the lad should be innocent until proven guilty and if his head is right and Hilly want to, he should be in the picture for Saturday. As already said elsewhere however, he is currently down the pecking order to Donnelly and Bunney.

He was crucified?
Match Fixing on 12:59 - Apr 4 with 2894 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Its been going on for years, sure Vinny Jones admitted the same thing re throw ins and betting - big difference between a throw in near the oppositions corner flag in first 2 seconds and bookings, goals, corners etc.

Going back to the days of Parkin the Bookies on Halifax Rd at 2pm on a Saturday had at least 5 players in on a regular basis, all doing football coupons - I never recall any of them ever betting against Dale although they did often back us to win.

I also remember 1 player having to get a lift with me to the game as he wanted to watch the 2:20 race and the others wanted to go to avoid a bollocking - the guy did have a fairly bad problem with gambling - which must have had an impact on his performances in games - which is another issue entirely I guess.

I think we will stick by Cummins as Hill has the mentality of sticking by players and squad unity - to get rid of a guy the players may see as a good mate on heresay would disrupt the squad more than keeping him. Hope he is found innocent!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Match Fixing on 13:06 - Apr 4 with 2874 viewsDaley_Lama

Match Fixing on 12:57 - Apr 4 by Morden

He was crucified?

Nah, he's crap at crosses.

Poll: DF in or out

Match Fixing on 13:09 - Apr 4 with 2866 viewsDorsetDale

Match Fixing on 12:59 - Apr 4 by Thacks_Rabbits

Its been going on for years, sure Vinny Jones admitted the same thing re throw ins and betting - big difference between a throw in near the oppositions corner flag in first 2 seconds and bookings, goals, corners etc.

Going back to the days of Parkin the Bookies on Halifax Rd at 2pm on a Saturday had at least 5 players in on a regular basis, all doing football coupons - I never recall any of them ever betting against Dale although they did often back us to win.

I also remember 1 player having to get a lift with me to the game as he wanted to watch the 2:20 race and the others wanted to go to avoid a bollocking - the guy did have a fairly bad problem with gambling - which must have had an impact on his performances in games - which is another issue entirely I guess.

I think we will stick by Cummins as Hill has the mentality of sticking by players and squad unity - to get rid of a guy the players may see as a good mate on heresay would disrupt the squad more than keeping him. Hope he is found innocent!

If he gets sent back, it won't be on hearsay. Hill will undoubtedly ask him IF and to what extent Cummins was involved. If it later turns out that he lied to Hilly it almost certainly will result in him playing non-league at best given the respect KH is held in throughout the game........

Or he could end up at Notts County!!

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Match Fixing on 13:12 - Apr 4 with 2857 viewsTalkingSutty

Match Fixing on 12:59 - Apr 4 by Thacks_Rabbits

I could be completely wrong but I would be very surprised if its just a case of players betting on matches.

If there is talk of money laundering and the National crime unit are involved it wont be individuals betting on the odd match, it will be linked to betting syndicates probably based outside this country (probably Asia).

The players don't even have to have a bet, they can earn thousands in one off payments just by conceding the first corner/throw in/ red card etc. In other spot fixing cases around Europe involving football matches players have been paid one off fees to influence a game often running into tens of thousands of pounds. It has to be a lot of money for them to risk their careers. Lower division players or even conference level on poor wages are the ones that are targeted.
Match Fixing on 14:09 - Apr 4 with 2786 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Totally agree with above posts - was just stating the betting culture has been there for years - If it is more serious than having a bet then they should get life bans. I am also sure KH will have spoken to Cummins, will have worked out himself if he is telling the truth and we should know shortly what his response will be. If he is sent back it will say a lot.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Login to get fewer ads

Match Fixing on 14:11 - Apr 4 with 2785 viewssandylaner1

cavanaghs reaction when news of the betting scandal broke out........

Match Fixing on 17:01 - Apr 4 with 2631 viewspioneer

Match Fixing on 00:53 - Apr 4 by RotherhamDale

Goodbye football league career.

Hello Belmarsh . . . . .for anyone found guilty of course.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/counties/10337761/Mervyn-Westfield-my-t
Match Fixing on 18:36 - Apr 4 with 2513 viewsbrady

Looking at some of the yellow and red cards we have had. They should be looking at some of the refs
Match Fixing on 18:37 - Apr 4 with 2511 viewsmacro

Innocent til proven guilty!
Match Fixing on 18:55 - Apr 4 with 2476 viewsboromat

Poor of them to release the names the day before a game. Hope the team isn't affected negatively!

Have we released a statement?

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Fixing on 20:22 - Apr 4 with 2387 viewsKenBoon

Match Fixing on 18:55 - Apr 4 by boromat

Poor of them to release the names the day before a game. Hope the team isn't affected negatively!

Have we released a statement?

Why would we. It's not our problem.

The Cav thing and what these lot are accused of are very different. Cav was thick/ignorant of the laws. This lot have potentially been affecting games. Innocent until proven guilty however. It's poor that names are allowed to be released when it will undoubtedly affect their day job and they've not even been found guilty of owt.
Match Fixing on 22:08 - Apr 4 with 2283 viewsTalkingSutty

Match Fixing on 20:22 - Apr 4 by KenBoon

Why would we. It's not our problem.

The Cav thing and what these lot are accused of are very different. Cav was thick/ignorant of the laws. This lot have potentially been affecting games. Innocent until proven guilty however. It's poor that names are allowed to be released when it will undoubtedly affect their day job and they've not even been found guilty of owt.

So you are implying that Cav didn't know what he was doing when he bet on his own team to lose??

It baffles me why people like yourself even try to insult peoples intelligence with such posts, he is so thick and ignorant that he didn't know...... give me strength !!

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Fixing on 22:45 - Apr 4 with 2205 viewsdingdangblue

Match Fixing on 22:08 - Apr 4 by TalkingSutty

So you are implying that Cav didn't know what he was doing when he bet on his own team to lose??

It baffles me why people like yourself even try to insult peoples intelligence with such posts, he is so thick and ignorant that he didn't know...... give me strength !!

This post has been edited by an administrator

He was thinking of retiring from football and buying somewhere in the Caribbean with his £2 acca winnings! He obviously thought they were going to lose v bury - it doesn't mean he wanted it to happen - wasn't the story afterwards that the Accy squad had all been to Chester races that week on a stag do and weren't in the best shape come Saturday , which Cav probably knew.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Fixing on 23:49 - Apr 4 with 2151 viewsD_Alien

Match Fixing on 22:45 - Apr 4 by dingdangblue

He was thinking of retiring from football and buying somewhere in the Caribbean with his £2 acca winnings! He obviously thought they were going to lose v bury - it doesn't mean he wanted it to happen - wasn't the story afterwards that the Accy squad had all been to Chester races that week on a stag do and weren't in the best shape come Saturday , which Cav probably knew.

I'm pretty damn sure Cav knows what he did was wrong - foolish, more than anything. His brother died not long before, and I suspect he was thrown off course.

The way he performs on the pitch, now that he's got his form and confidence back, suggests to me that he's playing like a man determined to redeem himself. No-one throws their body on the line without a demon driving them on. At the Dale, under hilly, he's finding redemption.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Fixing on 00:09 - Apr 5 with 2120 viewsColDale

Match Fixing on 23:49 - Apr 4 by D_Alien

I'm pretty damn sure Cav knows what he did was wrong - foolish, more than anything. His brother died not long before, and I suspect he was thrown off course.

The way he performs on the pitch, now that he's got his form and confidence back, suggests to me that he's playing like a man determined to redeem himself. No-one throws their body on the line without a demon driving them on. At the Dale, under hilly, he's finding redemption.

Sometimes the betting is more akin with insider trading rather than that throwing of games. In rugby league, two St Helens players bet on their side to lose knowing they were playing a weakened team. The cash involved wasn't life changing in any way, which says to me it was naivety more than anything else. The Accy game wherein betting was suspended a few days before the game had rumours of an Accy player's stag do on the Friday night (again all before the game) and it seemed very much along the same lines as the St Helens case. No one would ever claim its right, but there was no malicious edge to the whole thing.
Match Fixing on 02:29 - Apr 5 with 2076 viewsTalkingSutty

Match Fixing on 00:09 - Apr 5 by ColDale

Sometimes the betting is more akin with insider trading rather than that throwing of games. In rugby league, two St Helens players bet on their side to lose knowing they were playing a weakened team. The cash involved wasn't life changing in any way, which says to me it was naivety more than anything else. The Accy game wherein betting was suspended a few days before the game had rumours of an Accy player's stag do on the Friday night (again all before the game) and it seemed very much along the same lines as the St Helens case. No one would ever claim its right, but there was no malicious edge to the whole thing.

I understand the circumstances regarding Cav and agree his performances have been very good this season but betting against your own team when you are a professional sportsman isnt right.

Every time a team goes through an injury crisis could you imagine the players going down to the bookies and betting on themselves to lose. You cant have a sliding scale of when its ok to bet against your own team.

Cavs been punished and its behind him now, but he got what he deserved and he would probably agree with that.
Match Fixing on 08:33 - Apr 5 with 2013 viewsDiddyDave

What about the Aussie cricket team betting against themselves that they`d lose that test (Leeds,I think,in the eighties) when they were so far on top going into the last day it wasn`t funny. Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee were the instigators,but obviously they were all involved,or it wouldn`t have worked as I think they only needed just over a hundred on a flat wicket to win. The Bookies were offering ridiculous money on an England win and I`m pretty sure they all got away with it. Anybody help me here?
Match Fixing on 09:10 - Apr 5 with 1984 viewsD_Alien

Match Fixing on 08:33 - Apr 5 by DiddyDave

What about the Aussie cricket team betting against themselves that they`d lose that test (Leeds,I think,in the eighties) when they were so far on top going into the last day it wasn`t funny. Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee were the instigators,but obviously they were all involved,or it wouldn`t have worked as I think they only needed just over a hundred on a flat wicket to win. The Bookies were offering ridiculous money on an England win and I`m pretty sure they all got away with it. Anybody help me here?

The famous Botham test. Looking back, the sensational innings by Botham and devastating spell of bowling by Bob Willis were such that it's difficult to envisage how they could have been given any help by the opposition. There were no dropped catches, misfields, poor bowling or reckless shots by the Aussies when batting, although it's difficult to be certain of course.

I think the Aussies needed about 130 to win after England had followed-on, and got to about 50-1 before Willis took over with the most mind-blowing spell of fast bowling I've ever seen (live on the Beeb in those days).

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Fixing on 09:19 - Apr 5 with 1969 viewsThe_DJ

Bet he doesn't feature today.
Match Fixing on 09:35 - Apr 5 with 1944 viewsDaley_Lama

Match Fixing on 08:33 - Apr 5 by DiddyDave

The Botham Test.

I don't think there was ever any accusation or mention of Australia backing England at those odds, as far as I recall the story was that one of the commentators had seen a bookies offering those odds when he had popped out for lunch.

I doubt anybody actually had a bet on England to win that test, certainly not the Aussie players.

Match Fixing on 10:12 - Apr 5 with 1905 viewsrobbowood

Match Fixing on 09:35 - Apr 5 by Daley_Lama

The Botham Test.

I don't think there was ever any accusation or mention of Australia backing England at those odds, as far as I recall the story was that one of the commentators had seen a bookies offering those odds when he had popped out for lunch.

I doubt anybody actually had a bet on England to win that test, certainly not the Aussie players.

Allegedly it was the Australian coach driver who placed the bet on behalf of the Australian players. He got odds of 500-1 (or thereabouts) on England winning and the Australian players made an absolute fortune !!!!
Match Fixing on 10:42 - Apr 5 with 1862 viewsDaley_Lama

If that's true and the Saville episode has anything to go by then I fully expect the ICC to ban the Aussie players for life from that test in 2045.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024