Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? 15:21 - May 18 with 12617 viewshbk4894

Who would you say are the top 3 famous people from Rochdale?
Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 15:56 - May 18 with 10907 viewsAtThePeake

Gracie Fields has to be number one right?

Tangled up in blue.

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 16:20 - May 18 with 10854 viewsolympicdale

Life is a game of fate.

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 16:30 - May 18 with 10828 viewsR17ALE

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 15:56 - May 18 by AtThePeake

Gracie Fields has to be number one right?

Probably. Sadly Cyril Smith might eclipse that for the wrong reasons.

Others could include....

Lisa Stansfield
Lizzy Bardsley
John Bright (ancient politician)
Anna Friel
Andy Kershaw
Liz Kershaw
Bill Oddie
Julie Goodyear
Craig Dawson
John Milne
Monica ??? (slapper who was involved with some political bigwig I can't remember).*

And if we include Middleton due to the Boundary changes you can add....

Lee Rigby
Steve Coogan

Edit: *Coghlan. And it was that Jeffrey Archer what did her!
[Post edited 18 May 2014 16:34]

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 16:42 - May 18 with 10790 viewsroccydaleian

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 16:30 - May 18 by R17ALE

Probably. Sadly Cyril Smith might eclipse that for the wrong reasons.

Others could include....

Lisa Stansfield
Lizzy Bardsley
John Bright (ancient politician)
Anna Friel
Andy Kershaw
Liz Kershaw
Bill Oddie
Julie Goodyear
Craig Dawson
John Milne
Monica ??? (slapper who was involved with some political bigwig I can't remember).*

And if we include Middleton due to the Boundary changes you can add....

Lee Rigby
Steve Coogan

Edit: *Coghlan. And it was that Jeffrey Archer what did her!
[Post edited 18 May 2014 16:34]

Actor Arthur Pentelow who played Mr Wilkes in Emmerdale Farm was a Rochdale lad as well.
Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 17:11 - May 18 with 10713 viewsmacro

In the news recently it's been more infamous than famous
Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 18:22 - May 18 with 10599 viewsdingdangblue

Mark 'Chappers' Chapman (BBC five live/ Match of the Day) was born in Rochdale I think. Sure I've heard it mentioned before by him.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 18:39 - May 18 with 10555 viewsD_Alien

Not yet among the most famous, but how about Sajid Javid, the new Culture Secretary?

Born in Rochdale to Pakistani immigrants, his dad worked as a bus driver.

Vice President of Chase Manhattan Bank aged just 25, the cabinet appointment is seen as a way of introducing him to the top levels of government as a real rising star with the potential to make it to the very top - further than Cyril Smith or John Bright (not yet mentioned).

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 18:44 - May 18 with 10530 viewsSuddenLad

Jack Howarth (Albert Tatlock in Corrie)

John Bright (19thC Radical & Politician)

Colin Baker (Doctor Who)

Trevor Hoyle (Author)

Chris Cattlin (Coventry City/Huddersfield)

Stuart Smith (World Stock Car Champion)

(previously mentioned Arthur Pentelow was once a teacher at Balderstone school - when it was Boys' Grammar)

Mary-Jo Randle (actress)
[Post edited 18 May 2014 18:46]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 19:21 - May 18 with 10446 viewsArthurDaley

The Rochdale Hangman John Ellis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ellis_(executioner)

Don Estelle, ( Gunner Lofty Sugden )

Michelle Holmes (actress) got a good seeing to in Rita, Sue, and Bob too.

A large VAT Dave

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 20:12 - May 18 with 10382 viewsfitzochris

Kaliphz.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 20:46 - May 18 with 10322 viewsD_Dale

Not in the top three, though well known in his day (but a day with rather different attitudes): "G. H. Elliott (1882—1962) was a British music hall singer and dancer. He was born George Henry Elliott in Rochdale, Lancashire in 1882[1] Known as the "Chocolate Coloured Coon", he came on stage with a painted black face but dressed entirely in white. He had a white top hat, a white tail-coat which came down well below the knees, white gloves, white tie or cravat, white trousers, white shoes and a white cane." (The opening paragraph of his Wikipedia entry)
Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 21:40 - May 18 with 10243 viewsTVOS1907

"Welcome back to Spotland, David Buchanan"

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 23:18 - May 18 with 10153 viewsBrighouseDale

Dave Sweetmore, Rochdale legend.

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 23:25 - May 18 with 10143 viewsSuddenLad

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 20:46 - May 18 by D_Dale

Not in the top three, though well known in his day (but a day with rather different attitudes): "G. H. Elliott (1882—1962) was a British music hall singer and dancer. He was born George Henry Elliott in Rochdale, Lancashire in 1882[1] Known as the "Chocolate Coloured Coon", he came on stage with a painted black face but dressed entirely in white. He had a white top hat, a white tail-coat which came down well below the knees, white gloves, white tie or cravat, white trousers, white shoes and a white cane." (The opening paragraph of his Wikipedia entry)

From the music hall days there is Norman Evans who was famous for his 'over the garden wall' monologues and on whom Les Dawson based much of his 'Cissie & Ada' act with Roy Barraclough.

Also Hamlet Nicholson, inventor of the compound cricket ball was born in Blackwater Street. I remember being told that Nicholson Street (off Milkstone Road) was named after him.

Jock McAvoy, boxer, known as 'The Rochdale Thunderbolt'

Stuart Bithell, 2012 Olympic silver medallist

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 23:36 - May 18 with 10131 viewsroccydaleian

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 23:25 - May 18 by SuddenLad

From the music hall days there is Norman Evans who was famous for his 'over the garden wall' monologues and on whom Les Dawson based much of his 'Cissie & Ada' act with Roy Barraclough.

Also Hamlet Nicholson, inventor of the compound cricket ball was born in Blackwater Street. I remember being told that Nicholson Street (off Milkstone Road) was named after him.

John Milne. Geologist .
Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 01:16 - May 19 with 10082 viewslove_the_dale

Ruth Walczak
Why is she not more famous with the following credentials?
2 gold medals rowing for GB as a junior.
2012 European Rowing Championships - won bronze for GB in the lightweight women's double scull
2013 World Rowing Championships - won a bronze medal in the lightweight women's single scull.
Next Olympics?
Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 09:26 - May 19 with 9977 viewsMass_Debater

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 23:18 - May 18 by BrighouseDale

Dave Sweetmore, Rochdale legend.

With that accent?
(No subject) (n/t) on 09:31 - May 19 with 9975 viewsnordenblue

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 09:26 - May 19 by Mass_Debater

With that accent?

He may be from Heywood,many there appear to somehow have the best plastic manc accent ever despite being surrounded by bury and rochdale,who sound nothing like it
[Post edited 19 May 2014 9:38]
Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 10:00 - May 19 with 9933 viewsBrighouseDale

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 09:26 - May 19 by Mass_Debater

With that accent?

Alright I'll try again.

Jack Northover.

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:19 - May 19 with 9784 viewsAtThePeake

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:31 - May 19 by nordenblue

He may be from Heywood,many there appear to somehow have the best plastic manc accent ever despite being surrounded by bury and rochdale,who sound nothing like it
[Post edited 19 May 2014 9:38]

I've been accused of the same thing. I think a lot of it comes from the fact that Darnhill was originally a Manchester overspill - all my family are originally from closer to Manchester City Centre.

Tangled up in blue.

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:15 - May 19 with 9731 viewsnordenblue

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:19 - May 19 by AtThePeake

I've been accused of the same thing. I think a lot of it comes from the fact that Darnhill was originally a Manchester overspill - all my family are originally from closer to Manchester City Centre.

Surely over time that accent should water down but instead it seems most people over try and talk with the strongest manc accent possible around heywood for some reason.
Its mad as I now live in Salford and most people dont have anywhere near as strong a twang where I am which is 10 mins from the city centre.
Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 14:54 - May 19 with 9695 viewsdebbiesfella

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 23:25 - May 18 by SuddenLad

My Dad used to work with Norman Evans at Swailes Paper Tube works Milnrow. I remember as a lad of about 11 going back stage to meet him at The Floral Halls Scarborough.
(No subject) (n/t) on 16:12 - May 19 with 9632 viewsBrighouseDale

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:15 - May 19 by nordenblue

Surely over time that accent should water down but instead it seems most people over try and talk with the strongest manc accent possible around heywood for some reason.
Its mad as I now live in Salford and most people dont have anywhere near as strong a twang where I am which is 10 mins from the city centre.

It 's like the scouse accent which seems to have become a lot stronger over the last generation. If you watch The Beatles films they speak in a rather eloquent fashion, it's only recently they seem to "beef it up" as much as they do.

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 16:13 - May 19 with 9632 viewsSuddenLad

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 14:54 - May 19 by debbiesfella

My Dad used to work with Norman Evans at Swailes Paper Tube works Milnrow. I remember as a lad of about 11 going back stage to meet him at The Floral Halls Scarborough.

Did you have to lean over the garden wall to speak to him ??

Who is the most famous person to come from Rochdale? on 22:56 - May 19 with 9476 viewsboromat

Agyness Deyn has to be up there.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024