Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Probably our finest ever achievement 12:59 - May 23 with 6252 viewsDorsetDale

No, not the two promotions under Hill, not the one in '69 either.

Was checking history for the first/last away thread and decided to look at the results of my last full season living in Rochdale, remembered in my mind as the great escape. Had forgotten how great it was!!

After 21 games we had 10 points on the board (2 for a win), then came the big freeze, missing school to clear the pitch only for more rain/snow and -degree temperatures. No home fixture between 9th December and 10th March when we drew with Hartlepool, 26 games gone, 16 points!
We then played 20 games in 9 amazing weeks picking up a further 23 points to eventually finish one place above relegation with 39 points.

But for that last two months, who knows where we'd be now!
http://www.statto.com/football/teams/rochdale/1978-1979/results

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Probably our finest ever achievement on 13:29 - May 23 with 6177 viewsfermin

You may be interested in this article (if you can read it!):

Probably our finest ever achievement on 13:42 - May 23 with 6137 viewsdeeplishblue

Not my earliest memory of Dale, but the first time I can remember invading the pitch at full time after the last match of the season. "Doug, Doug, Doug Colllins. Doug, Doug, Doug Colllins !"

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Probably our finest ever achievement on 13:55 - May 23 with 6102 viewsD_Dale

Probably our finest ever achievement on 13:29 - May 23 by fermin

The 7 wins in the last 8 games was amazing. I particularly remember that 3-0 win at promotion-bound Barnsley (top right photo in the programme). But Doug Collins didn't have much success in the following season and was replaced after a few months.
Probably our finest ever achievement on 14:12 - May 23 with 6054 viewsD_Alien

In addition to the final game at Crewe (mentioned on another thread a couple of weeks ago) and the Hartlepool game after the big freeze, I particularly remember our next game against Grimsby who were top of the table.

We were 2-0 up inside 10 minutes. I think it was Chris Jones who got our second (in the Sandy) and it was the first time I remember hearing the shout "Get it in t' onion bag!" as the chance appeared - strange details that stick with you! He hammered it home, and we all thought we were in for a treat. What happened next was Typical Dale - and one of the reasons why that epithet stuck with us for so long - someone should start a thread on "Typical Dale" moments!

Well from that point onwards, I've never seen us so outplayed. 2-3 down at half-time, ended up 2-5 and it could've been 2-10 if Grimsby hadn't eased off.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Probably our finest ever achievement on 14:48 - May 23 with 5962 viewsfitzochris

Probably our finest ever achievement on 14:12 - May 23 by D_Alien

In addition to the final game at Crewe (mentioned on another thread a couple of weeks ago) and the Hartlepool game after the big freeze, I particularly remember our next game against Grimsby who were top of the table.

We were 2-0 up inside 10 minutes. I think it was Chris Jones who got our second (in the Sandy) and it was the first time I remember hearing the shout "Get it in t' onion bag!" as the chance appeared - strange details that stick with you! He hammered it home, and we all thought we were in for a treat. What happened next was Typical Dale - and one of the reasons why that epithet stuck with us for so long - someone should start a thread on "Typical Dale" moments!

Well from that point onwards, I've never seen us so outplayed. 2-3 down at half-time, ended up 2-5 and it could've been 2-10 if Grimsby hadn't eased off.

Typical Dale moments? I remember us being 3-0 up at half-time away at Southend and it finishing 3-3. Think that was back in 2001 or 2002.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Probably our finest ever achievement on 14:51 - May 23 with 5953 viewsTVOS1907

Probably our finest ever achievement on 14:48 - May 23 by fitzochris

Typical Dale moments? I remember us being 3-0 up at half-time away at Southend and it finishing 3-3. Think that was back in 2001 or 2002.

15th Jan 2000

Another five minutes and we'd have lost.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Probably our finest ever achievement on 14:53 - May 23 with 5946 viewsfitzochris

Probably our finest ever achievement on 14:51 - May 23 by TVOS1907

15th Jan 2000

Another five minutes and we'd have lost.

Yep. I think the words "typical Dale" were uttered that day.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Probably our finest ever achievement on 15:11 - May 23 with 5918 viewsDorsetDale

Probably our finest ever achievement on 14:12 - May 23 by D_Alien

Aye, remember that as well. A midweek game and plenty of expectant visitors.

Even as we went 2 up the opposition were looking confident and so it proved.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Login to get fewer ads

Probably our finest ever achievement on 15:17 - May 23 with 5906 viewsDorsetDale

Probably our finest ever achievement on 13:55 - May 23 by D_Dale

The 7 wins in the last 8 games was amazing. I particularly remember that 3-0 win at promotion-bound Barnsley (top right photo in the programme). But Doug Collins didn't have much success in the following season and was replaced after a few months.

On that occasion myself and a mate were hiding behind the settee listening to the vidi-printer on final score assuming the worst, as we usually did on away days but even more so as I think Barnsley were already promoted by then and playing most sides off the park.

How we leapt around the living room in jubilation!

Probably our finest ever achievement on 15:53 - May 23 with 5862 viewsD_Alien

Probably our finest ever achievement on 15:17 - May 23 by DorsetDale

On that occasion myself and a mate were hiding behind the settee listening to the vidi-printer on final score assuming the worst, as we usually did on away days but even more so as I think Barnsley were already promoted by then and playing most sides off the park.

How we leapt around the living room in jubilation!

Didn't Dr Who follow on from Grandstand in those days? Come on, admit it, that's why you were behind the settee!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Probably our finest ever achievement on 17:18 - May 23 with 5749 viewsSwissdale

Ground Capacity : 28,000. How were the capacities calculated back then for terraces? Seems incredible to think someone took a look at Spotland back then and said "we can cram near 30,000 in here"!
Probably our finest ever achievement on 18:58 - May 23 with 5662 viewsPassmondsBlue

Hi DorsetDale

Thanks for the memory, I was given the programme from the rearranged away game against Crewe (last of the season) we won 2:1

The programme that I still have was given to my dad for me for my birthday (46 today) by Chris Jones, it is signed by all the players on the night.

Just thinking back at what the mood must have been after the game when the players were signing the programme must have been awesome

Poll: Do yoy think sweetcorn is an idiot

Probably our finest ever achievement on 19:38 - May 23 with 5616 viewsAlexF

... or how about after beating Coventry in the 3rd Round FA cup, being 2-0 up against Colchester with 20 mins left for a place in the 5th round, drawing 2-2 and losing the replay, bitterly bitterly disappointed that day. And Colchester famously beat Leeds in that 5th round, typical Dale...
Probably our finest ever achievement on 20:37 - May 23 with 5550 viewssince58

was it ray crawford who did the damage ,not too sure
Probably our finest ever achievement on 15:26 - May 24 with 5292 viewsmodelboydave

7 wins out of 8 - I would wager a bet that is our finest ever end to the season, certainly in living memory.

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Probably our finest ever achievement on 19:19 - May 24 with 5183 viewspl56

I remember that season so well , particularly the thrill of the televised (Yorkshire TV) game vs Barnsley . Other memories include some important goals from Mark Hilditch ?

The other season , or end of , that's up there for me is the 1985/86 season which was the first with automatic relegation , particularly the win against Stockport . Where would we have been now if we hadn't pulled it round that season ?
Probably our finest ever achievement on 19:33 - May 24 with 5159 viewsTVOS1907

Probably our finest ever achievement on 19:19 - May 24 by pl56

I remember that season so well , particularly the thrill of the televised (Yorkshire TV) game vs Barnsley . Other memories include some important goals from Mark Hilditch ?

The other season , or end of , that's up there for me is the 1985/86 season which was the first with automatic relegation , particularly the win against Stockport . Where would we have been now if we hadn't pulled it round that season ?

86/87 was the first season of automatic relegation.

Probably our finest ever achievement on 20:29 - May 24 with 5127 viewsILoveMYclub

Crawford did the damage, Tennant was injured and carried on. Tony Godfrey took his place in the replay and was man of the match despite a 0-5 scoreline. Colchester beat Leeds and went on to lose 0-5 to Everton if I remember rightly.

My long standing memory was the chap dressed all in red with the top hat on walking around the touchline. Was he the same guy who dressed in similar Union Jack get up for England?
Probably our finest ever achievement on 23:09 - May 24 with 5072 viewsstuartcryer

i remember it well running around the railway lines on a friday night followed by crewe fans baying for blood

wardle blue

Probably our finest ever achievement on 23:39 - May 24 with 5053 viewspl56

Probably our finest ever achievement on 19:33 - May 24 by TVOS1907

86/87 was the first season of automatic relegation.

Correct , my apologies !
Probably our finest ever achievement on 12:17 - May 25 with 4937 viewsDorsetDale

Probably our finest ever achievement on 19:19 - May 24 by pl56

Pretty sure footage exists somewhere of that Barnsley game but can't find it. Anyone else had more luck?

Probably our finest ever achievement on 12:41 - May 25 with 4919 viewsTVOS1907

Probably our finest ever achievement on 12:17 - May 25 by DorsetDale

Pretty sure footage exists somewhere of that Barnsley game but can't find it. Anyone else had more luck?

Not seen it online, although someone over Barnsley way might have it as it was from Yorkshire TV.

Probably our finest ever achievement on 15:47 - May 25 with 4836 viewsAlexF

Probably our finest ever achievement on 20:29 - May 24 by ILoveMYclub

Crawford did the damage, Tennant was injured and carried on. Tony Godfrey took his place in the replay and was man of the match despite a 0-5 scoreline. Colchester beat Leeds and went on to lose 0-5 to Everton if I remember rightly.

My long standing memory was the chap dressed all in red with the top hat on walking around the touchline. Was he the same guy who dressed in similar Union Jack get up for England?

I remember that, dont know if it was the England Union Jack guy or just someone copying him. Wasnt the UJ guy called Bill Bailey?

Funny how time plays tricks, I thought that Colchester game was 2-2 but it was 3-3, probably made me even more disappointed at the time!
Probably our finest ever achievement on 16:04 - May 25 with 4815 viewsDorsetDale

Probably our finest ever achievement on 12:41 - May 25 by TVOS1907

Not seen it online, although someone over Barnsley way might have it as it was from Yorkshire TV.

Yeah, you're probably right, it'll be my ageing memory at fault.

Searched Yorkshire tv but closest I've found is a list of all games broadcast over the years but no footage.

Probably our finest ever achievement on 18:19 - May 25 with 4758 viewsILoveMYclub

Probably our finest ever achievement on 15:47 - May 25 by AlexF

I remember that, dont know if it was the England Union Jack guy or just someone copying him. Wasnt the UJ guy called Bill Bailey?

Funny how time plays tricks, I thought that Colchester game was 2-2 but it was 3-3, probably made me even more disappointed at the time!

Tony Buck's last final notable match for the Dale scoring 2?

Previous game I remember the goal at the Wilbutts land end ;they claimed it didn't cross the line as it went uphill and that the momentum didn't carry it across the line. Could be wrong. noel Cantwell certainly knew where Rochdale was.

I was there when the Floodlights got switched on 1-3 to Crystal Palace and what about those Titanic games against The Ted Macdougall/ Ian Boyer Norwich?

Phil Mullingtons goal was cracker (memories do flood back oh for another Bob Mountford)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024