Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters 14:32 - Aug 8 with 8716 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters

First and foremost, I'm writing about a tiny minority of posters on PlanetSwans. There are dozens of posters who are always courteous even in contention, and who not only disagree with me, often vigorously, but teach me while doing so, and there is another huge block of posters who can and do remain courteous at all times, even when not contending.

But, oh, the madness of some posters on PlanetSwans. One poster insults or disparages another poster, or misrepresents another poster's words, and the poster so put-upon blocks him. And who gets blamed for -- what? being inconsiderate? -- not the insulter, but the insulted.

What is offensive here? Blocking one who can't be civil? Or letting it be known that someone has been blocked?

Why is there an "ignore" feature on PlanetSwans? As a condiment to be put on hot dogs, perhaps? To be cut out and hung on a Christmas Tree (with apologies for bringing religion into this)?

As hard as this might be for a few to understand, I do not post on here or read posts in order to watch human beings attacking each other like rabid dogs. I do so in order to share thoughts about the Swans, to be amused by Welsh humour, and to engage in some intelligent discussions about important matters.

I do not appreciate foul language replacing argument, or being treated discourteously, or having my words twisted and the dishonest "misinterpretation" being used as if I said it. Those are the basic reasons why I block someone. Not having to read them helps me to maintain my peace of mind -- probably the main goal of my life in these troubled days.

To be quite honest, I would be deeply grateful to all of those who have either an unkind, sometimes even hateful, attitude toward me, or who feel intimidated [which is their fault, not mine], just block me! Please.

Unlike a few on here who think ill of me for blocking, I will appreciate being blocked. Even being told. Especially being told.

How often recently have we read many posters expressing concern about the deterioration of the discourse on PlanetSwans? So, let's start another "campaign." Everyone block people who are discourteous and twist words.

There would be two worthwhile results: (1) peace of mind for the blocker, and (2) shut down the real offenders -- kinda like voting them out with the "ignore" button.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 14:35 - Aug 8 with 3211 viewsJackfath

I'd love to see a "league table" of blocked posters.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 14:46 - Aug 8 with 3196 viewsllangyfelach

North Korea

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

On on 14:50 - Aug 8 with 3185 viewsField_Of_Dreams_II

Please tell me how I can block/ignore a poster, as you'll be going straight on that list.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 14:50]

Poll: What would you rather see.....

On on 14:51 - Aug 8 with 3178 viewsDarran

On on 14:50 - Aug 8 by Field_Of_Dreams_II

Please tell me how I can block/ignore a poster, as you'll be going straight on that list.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 14:50]

Nobody's going to tell you because nobody can see your post most people have the likes of you on ignore. 😂

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

On on 14:55 - Aug 8 with 3166 viewsDavillin

On on 14:51 - Aug 8 by Darran

Nobody's going to tell you because nobody can see your post most people have the likes of you on ignore. 😂

O.K., I'll tell him.

In the gray bar at the top of every post, to the far right, is that poster's name -- that you want to block.

Click on his name and you'll be sent to a page about him.

On the right hand side is one line saying something like "to ignore this poster, click here." Click there and e's blocked. You'll then be sent to a list of those whom you have blocked [Hooray!], with the option to release any one of them from his banishment.

Thank you for asking. And for being the first convert to this new initiative.

On on 14:59 - Aug 8 with 3157 viewsDavillin

On on 14:51 - Aug 8 by Darran

post deleted
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 15:05]

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 15:06 - Aug 8 with 3143 viewsField_Of_Dreams_II

You'd be top of the ignore list Darren you scruff bag, if it wasn't for you being a (terrible) mod & thereby unable to block you.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 15:21 - Aug 8 with 3125 viewsDarran

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 15:06 - Aug 8 by Field_Of_Dreams_II

You'd be top of the ignore list Darren you scruff bag, if it wasn't for you being a (terrible) mod & thereby unable to block you.

Unlucky ............... tw*t. 😂

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Login to get fewer ads

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 15:46 - Aug 8 with 3099 viewslifelong

Honestly, does anyone give a shite who has blocked who on here.

If people are rude to you just tell them to feck off.
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:10 - Aug 8 with 3071 viewsperchrockjack

But tony raises a good point in wtf do certain posters always ,and. Mean always ,post to insult.

I will never be convinced that they post in jest or to banter, it's internet hard man reputation normally and it's pitiful.just recently loh an d and clasie, come to that, exchanged some pretty strong views on palastine but ,d ya know what, they would have said what they posted to my face, which is fine. I disagree with e Paul on most things but I have not but respect as a man and after some bitter exchanges the same with proses

We learn ,or should learn, every day. That makes us better...

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:21 - Aug 8 with 3058 viewsField_Of_Dreams_II

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 15:21 - Aug 8 by Darran

rather be a tw@t than a scruffy tw@t like you.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:28 - Aug 8 with 3045 viewsperchrockjack

What happened to field of dreams 1.shuite film too

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:56 - Aug 8 with 3030 viewsLohengrin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 15:21 - Aug 8 by Darran

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:24 - Aug 8 with 2973 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 15:46 - Aug 8 by lifelong

Honestly, does anyone give a shite who has blocked who on here.

If people are rude to you just tell them to feck off.

Right! And they they come right back and be even more rude. Haven't you been reading these boards for the past several years?

Further, "telling them to feck off" is being just as rude and keeps the cycle going. Haven't you been following world history for the past several years?

You and I can agree, however. You tell'em to feck off; I'll block'em.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:28 - Aug 8 with 2955 viewsJackoBoostardo

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:24 - Aug 8 by Davillin

Right! And they they come right back and be even more rude. Haven't you been reading these boards for the past several years?

Further, "telling them to feck off" is being just as rude and keeps the cycle going. Haven't you been following world history for the past several years?

Yet when you are rude... the rest of us just get on with it like adults.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:30 - Aug 8 with 2964 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:10 - Aug 8 by perchrockjack

But tony raises a good point in wtf do certain posters always ,and. Mean always ,post to insult.

I will never be convinced that they post in jest or to banter, it's internet hard man reputation normally and it's pitiful.just recently loh an d and clasie, come to that, exchanged some pretty strong views on palastine but ,d ya know what, they would have said what they posted to my face, which is fine. I disagree with e Paul on most things but I have not but respect as a man and after some bitter exchanges the same with proses

We learn ,or should learn, every day. That makes us better...

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:02 - Aug 8 with 2946 viewslifelong

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:24 - Aug 8 by Davillin

Yes, I've read these boards for the past several years and yes, some of the posters have been abusive and use bad language but, some of those very posters are the most amusing.

I just can't take some of what's said on here too seriously.
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:07 - Aug 8 with 2938 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:02 - Aug 8 by lifelong

Yes, I've read these boards for the past several years and yes, some of the posters have been abusive and use bad language but, some of those very posters are the most amusing.

I just can't take some of what's said on here too seriously.

Disclaimer: I am not disagreeing with you, let alone arguing, but isn't that a bit like saying, "You can stomp on my toes as often as you want as long as you tickle my funny bone once in a while"?

You've heard the old saying that "You have to take the bad with the good." Well, my viewpoint is that you don't have to take either. Especially when you have a ready-made device like the "ignore" feature to help you to do it.

[Abandoning PlanetSwans completely is not an option for me, however.]

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:11 - Aug 8 with 2924 viewsperchrockjack

If you were really given personal chute lifey, you ,even you would think different

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:15 - Aug 8 with 2916 viewsllangyfelach

Swearing, when done properly, is neither offensive or insulting

It's f*cking great

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:17 - Aug 8 with 2910 viewsdickythorpe

Dav needs to chill out.
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:18 - Aug 8 with 2909 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:15 - Aug 8 by llangyfelach

Swearing, when done properly, is neither offensive or insulting

It's f*cking great

Do you [or "did you" as appropriate] speak like that to your grandmothers?

[Sorry for putting you in a logical and ethical knight's fork, there.]

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:19 - Aug 8 with 2906 viewsdickythorpe

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:18 - Aug 8 by Davillin

Do you [or "did you" as appropriate] speak like that to your grandmothers?

[Sorry for putting you in a logical and ethical knight's fork, there.]

Dav, chill out FFS
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:20 - Aug 8 with 2898 viewsPhil_S

I don't get the ignore function on any forum - its just easier to switch off and not read comments that you dont like or just not get wound up by them

I used to get really wound up in the days of the Rivals site, now its all water off a ducks back
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:23 - Aug 8 with 2885 viewsperchrockjack

Like a car crash phil is that attitude. You know you shouldn't but you do

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024