Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hoddle again 23:19 - Aug 9 with 9602 viewsBklynRanger

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/glenn-hoddle-join-qpr-harry-4030649?

If this comes off it'll be bigger than any player we could've brought in.
Hoddle again on 23:21 - Aug 9 with 4488 viewsAntti_Heinola

This really feels to me like Harry is readying to retire.
Hoddle's been out the game for a long time, and did not have a great time at Spurs or Wolves. Not sure about this.

Bare bones.

Hoddle again on 23:23 - Aug 9 with 4471 viewsRANGERS4EVER

This could be fantastic for us

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Hoddle again on 23:24 - Aug 9 with 4468 viewsCamberleyR

If there's one man who really knows about playing 3-5-2, it's Hoddle.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Hoddle again on 23:33 - Aug 9 with 4414 viewsBromleyHoop

My gut feeling is that If Hoddle joins QPR this could be the difference between relegation and Premier League survival.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Hoddle again on 23:38 - Aug 9 with 4375 viewsSomersetHoops

We need a top rate coach. If Hoddle is up to that and doesn't go in for all that airy-fairy nonsense again, then he could be useful.

Who's Next?

Hoddle again on 23:56 - Aug 9 with 4321 viewsrsonist

For reasons baffling to me Hoddle has somehow acquired this Bobby Robson-like aura for some people, purely it seems because England did slightly (only slightly, and not for very long) better under him fifteen years ago and because he occasionally pops up in the media with vague and woolly platitudes about kids and passing football.

Where is the proof? Where are the facts? Since England he has been a mediocre manager for Spurs, for Wolves, for Southampton. Not only that but he has an alarmingly long history of alienating players and leaving clubs in rancorous circumstances. Remember when he was selling his book and told all to the media about the private meetings with England players who weren't going to make the World Cup squad? Let alone all the insane nonsense with Eileen Drewery and his still to this day completely fcking unacceptable vile drivel about the disabled.

Venables was twice the coach and God knows how many times the man Hoddle is and we wouldn't hire him for a job now either. It's not a strange quirk of fate that no ones gone near Hoddle for the best part of a decade now and personally I will be furious if Fernandes ends up being the only mug gullible enough to give him any kind of senior role in this football club. It will all end in tears.
Hoddle again on 00:03 - Aug 10 with 4303 viewsAntti_Heinola

Hoddle again on 23:56 - Aug 9 by rsonist

For reasons baffling to me Hoddle has somehow acquired this Bobby Robson-like aura for some people, purely it seems because England did slightly (only slightly, and not for very long) better under him fifteen years ago and because he occasionally pops up in the media with vague and woolly platitudes about kids and passing football.

Where is the proof? Where are the facts? Since England he has been a mediocre manager for Spurs, for Wolves, for Southampton. Not only that but he has an alarmingly long history of alienating players and leaving clubs in rancorous circumstances. Remember when he was selling his book and told all to the media about the private meetings with England players who weren't going to make the World Cup squad? Let alone all the insane nonsense with Eileen Drewery and his still to this day completely fcking unacceptable vile drivel about the disabled.

Venables was twice the coach and God knows how many times the man Hoddle is and we wouldn't hire him for a job now either. It's not a strange quirk of fate that no ones gone near Hoddle for the best part of a decade now and personally I will be furious if Fernandes ends up being the only mug gullible enough to give him any kind of senior role in this football club. It will all end in tears.

Think you're probably spot on their rsonist, sadly.

As for Eileen Drury. Well, I'd say it was all nonsense... but then our very own Danny Maddix, out injured for what, 2 years, swears her treatment did the trick. So I'm always a bit uneasy about dismissing her, mainly because DM is one of my all time favourites.

Bare bones.

Hoddle again on 00:03 - Aug 10 with 4299 viewsToast_R

The last time England d played their own game and were genuine quality. Could have won France 98 I reckon. No worse then the French team that did .

Would love to see Hod develop our youth system and bring it through to senior level.
Login to get fewer ads

Hoddle again on 00:04 - Aug 10 with 4299 viewsrsonist

Here's your modern-day tactical genius by the way.
Hoddle again on 00:10 - Aug 10 with 4269 viewsBklynRanger

I'd rather have him as HR's number 2 for a season than Jordan and Bond.

We're in bad tactical shape when we get to the end of a season and Steve Black is the hero. Not diminishing the importance of what he did and probably will do, but still.
Hoddle again on 00:18 - Aug 10 with 4241 viewsrsonist

Reminder from the time of some of the finer details of his England reign:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/the-hoddle-sacking-the-verdict--controversy-t
Wednesday 03 February 1999

That was the apex of Hoddle's reign. England played patchily in the build- up to the World Cup, losing at home to Chile and being held by Saudi Arabia. On the plus side, Hoddle introduced Michael Owen, Paul Scholes and Rio Ferdinand but he also became embroiled in controversy regarding the role of Eileen Drewery, his faith-healing friend, the exclusion of Chris Sutton and over comments made about Michael Owen.

He then boldly dropped Paul Gascoigne from the World Cup squad but, less bravely, omitted Owen and Beckham from England's opening games. They responded well on their recall against Colombia and, with the benefit of hindsight, Hoddle claimed he had planned it that way all along. But the damage had been done with the defeat to Romania and England, having failed to practise penalties, went out to Argentina in spot-kicks in the second round.

Then came the publication of Hoddle's World Cup diary, which provoked a furore, Tony Adams' autobiography, which criticised Hoddle, and the defeat to Sweden. A home draw with Bulgaria, and scrappy win over Luxembourg, left England struggling to qualify for next year's European Championship while Andy Cole became the latest dissenter, branding Hoddle a "coward" for not picking him. Given the attacking riches at his disposal Hoddle may have been justified in that but general disquiet over his selections was illustrated by a comment from Sir Bobby Charlton this week. Speaking on radio, Charlton said: "I sometimes wonder what Glenn Hoddle is doing. I always feel the balance is not quite right whenever I see the team go out. I wonder if he handles the young players the right way to give them confidence."
Hoddle again on 00:23 - Aug 10 with 4225 viewsTacticalR

Is he being brought in to tweak our tactics or twiddle our chakras?

Air hostess clique

Hoddle again on 00:24 - Aug 10 with 4218 viewsCHUBBS

Bring Hoddle and Eileen,alternative treatments are far better than the garbage the pharmaceutical gangsters throw your way.
I like Hoddle,a little quirky yes but that doesn't escape the fact the man is a quality coach and has bundles of experience.
Hoddle again on 00:28 - Aug 10 with 4207 viewsrsonist

Hoddle again on 00:24 - Aug 10 by CHUBBS

Bring Hoddle and Eileen,alternative treatments are far better than the garbage the pharmaceutical gangsters throw your way.
I like Hoddle,a little quirky yes but that doesn't escape the fact the man is a quality coach and has bundles of experience.

"the fact the man is a quality coach" - was, arguably, and inconsistently.
Hoddle again on 00:40 - Aug 10 with 4171 viewsCHUBBS

Hoddle again on 00:28 - Aug 10 by rsonist

"the fact the man is a quality coach" - was, arguably, and inconsistently.

People said the same about Mclaren and he never put a foot wrong.
Until the final of course
Hoddle again on 00:42 - Aug 10 with 4168 viewsTacticalR

The thing is, technology has moved on a long way since Hoddle was manager, and it's now much easier to measure an individual's karma.

Air hostess clique

Hoddle again on 00:52 - Aug 10 with 4147 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Talks a lot of sense. Good move from us if true.
Hoddle again on 06:29 - Aug 10 with 3996 viewsqprnw10

Hoddle again on 00:04 - Aug 10 by rsonist

Here's your modern-day tactical genius by the way.

Not many people would have gone with that formation at the time, now it seems everyone wants to use it.As a coach, the man has vision and is tactically very astute.
On another note, look who he has playing as the 'no.10'....maybe that's who he's said to Harry to go and get to play that role for us....
Hoddle again on 07:14 - Aug 10 with 3954 viewsKiwi76

Will be nice wee test for Barton.
Rumours in past of arrogance similar to Mark Hughes and any threat to new found team spirit scares me if honest.
Don't see any middle ground here which is the joy of following QPR.
Hoddle again on 07:15 - Aug 10 with 3949 viewsWeaverQPR

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-look-to-hoddle-ahead-of-new-season3722?

@WeavQPR

Hoddle again on 07:26 - Aug 10 with 3931 viewsganjR

Better than Wally Downes IMO.
Looks like Gerard Depardieu now IMHO.
Hoddle again on 08:07 - Aug 10 with 3872 viewsGloucs_R

Would be a superb coach and would be able to put a good youth policy in place. Great move by the club if it comes off.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Hoddle again on 09:20 - Aug 10 with 3757 viewsTGRRRSSS

Hoddle's problems seem to be relating to people and man managment. Equally he's too "big time" simply to work on the coaching under someone else you would think.

Tactically he was forward thinking but... his way of dealing with people...
Fact is he hasnt had that many offers but he did a reasonable job at Soton and choose understandably to go to Spurs when he had the chance.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2014 9:25]
Hoddle again on 09:23 - Aug 10 with 3746 viewsFDC

Redknapp clearly benefits from having assistance with training, and if this is being done with the intention being for Hoddle to replace him long term then I guess credit should go to the club for going about things sensibly and with foresight. I do share some of the misgivings about Hoddle the person and the football manager though.

Mind you, presumably any contract would include a try before you buy element, so if he started inviting the Archbishop of Canterbury to training sessions we could politely show him the door.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2014 9:28]
Hoddle again on 09:25 - Aug 10 with 3738 viewsCHUBBS

Hoddle again on 09:20 - Aug 10 by TGRRRSSS

Hoddle's problems seem to be relating to people and man managment. Equally he's too "big time" simply to work on the coaching under someone else you would think.

Tactically he was forward thinking but... his way of dealing with people...
Fact is he hasnt had that many offers but he did a reasonable job at Soton and choose understandably to go to Spurs when he had the chance.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2014 9:25]

Good points TG but having seen him during the world cup,he seems to have mellowed with age and doesn't take himself so seriously now.
He'd certainly get the respect of the players football wise,something Wall Downes probably struggled with.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024