Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? 22:35 - Nov 7 with 6651 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Just been leafing through Stephen Phillipps' 'The Definitive'. My own was 19th Nov 1988 away to Huddersfield.

Remember being on an open terrace and struggling to see the goal, that's about it!
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:46 - Nov 7 with 3546 viewsTVOS1907

1-1, Neil Edmonds with the goal.

Lost 4-3 at home in a classic replay dominated by Junior Bent.

My first FA Cup tie was Crewe at home in November 1983. Won 1-0 with a Peter Farrell penalty.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2014 22:51]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:49 - Nov 7 with 3542 views442Dale

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:46 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

1-1, Neil Edmonds with the goal.

Lost 4-3 at home in a classic replay dominated by Junior Bent.

My first FA Cup tie was Crewe at home in November 1983. Won 1-0 with a Peter Farrell penalty.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2014 22:51]

In which they wore that fantastic yellow & black checked shirt.

Mine was Telford. Eight year olds shouldn't call Vernon Allott names like I did that day.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:53 - Nov 7 with 3530 viewsdingdangblue

1985 - the replay win at Spotland v Scunthorpe which meant we were going to play Man Utd at Old Trafford.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:57 - Nov 7 with 3520 viewsdalebolt

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:49 - Nov 7 by 442Dale

In which they wore that fantastic yellow & black checked shirt.

Mine was Telford. Eight year olds shouldn't call Vernon Allott names like I did that day.

Telford was mine also! Fortunately I was 9 so the words I used were slightly more acceptable!
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:57 - Nov 7 with 3520 viewsmeeee

When I was 5. Bury 1-2 Rochdale 8th November 2003. Bertos and Super Kevin Townson with the goals.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 23:08 - Nov 7 with 3488 viewsDiddyDave

Mine was about 1956,Dale losing 1-0 at home to York City,who,the season before had got to the semi final,losing to the eventual winners,Newcastle United. Think York were the first third division team to make the semi finals.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 23:17 - Nov 7 with 3481 viewsroccydaleian

The famous Coventry 70's one.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 23:42 - Nov 7 with 3452 viewsArthurDaley

Dale 1 Altrincham 2 I think. Is the earliest one I can remember. Big Reg equalised then it all went downhill from there Somehow it was a night game.

A large VAT Dave

Login to get fewer ads

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 00:01 - Nov 8 with 3431 viewsD_Alien

Dale 1 Barrow 3 1966

Dale captain Brian Richardson broke his leg, think it ended his career.

Not a great start

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 00:19 - Nov 8 with 3413 viewsTVOS1907

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 00:01 - Nov 8 by D_Alien

Dale 1 Barrow 3 1966

Not a great start

According to 'the book', he was substituted the week before in a 1-0 home defeat to Bradford, but returned for two more games in the Spring.

He didn't play v Barrow in the FA Cup and was replaced by Barry Wheatley in the only change from the Bradford match.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 02:25 - Nov 8 with 3382 viewsDiddyDave

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 23:42 - Nov 7 by ArthurDaley

Dale 1 Altrincham 2 I think. Is the earliest one I can remember. Big Reg equalised then it all went downhill from there Somehow it was a night game.

Just googled that one Arfur,it was in the 65/66 season a second round game that for some reason was played on a Wednesday night,Altrincham winning 3-1. There were a load of United supporters there that night supporting Alti,and I`m pretty sure Bobby Charlton was in the stand,no doubt watching Uncle Stan.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 02:41 - Nov 8 with 3377 viewsDiddyDave

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 23:08 - Nov 7 by DiddyDave

Mine was about 1956,Dale losing 1-0 at home to York City,who,the season before had got to the semi final,losing to the eventual winners,Newcastle United. Think York were the first third division team to make the semi finals.

Just googled this one too,it was the 55/56 season. I also recall that was the season when Burnley and Chelsea met FIVE times in the 4th round before Chelsea eventually won 2-0,and a team called Scunthorpe and Lindsay United held Liverpool to a 3-3 draw at Anfield before losing 2-0 in the replay.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 04:00 - Nov 8 with 3366 viewspioneer

Barnsley (a) November 68, 0-0. A good performance against a team a division above us but lost the replay at home 1-0. we were about to hit our only sticky patch in the promotion season.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 05:57 - Nov 8 with 3351 viewscupardale

Burnley away December 1993....lost 4-1. Think Thackaray got sent off...?
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 06:05 - Nov 8 with 3349 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Wish I hadn't started this thread now...we're reliving a whole raft of defeats!

So much for all that 'magic of the cup' böllocks! :-(
[Post edited 8 Nov 2014 6:07]
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 07:41 - Nov 8 with 3316 viewsdilleydaler

1976, Northwich Victoria lost 2-1 at Maine Road. It was the second replay. Can't remember whether I went to the first 2 matches.

Actually, I felt for Exeter.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 08:05 - Nov 8 with 3298 viewsBartRowou

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 22:53 - Nov 7 by dingdangblue

1985 - the replay win at Spotland v Scunthorpe which meant we were going to play Man Utd at Old Trafford.

Mine was the first game at the Old Show Ground. I was expecting jumpers for goalposts but was met with fans running at each other along the terraces of a famous old ground, a brilliant game, a hero in Steve Taylor and a draw away at Old Trafford broadcast on the radio as we drove home.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 08:44 - Nov 8 with 3273 views442Dale

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 05:57 - Nov 8 by cupardale

Burnley away December 1993....lost 4-1. Think Thackaray got sent off...?

For some reason I can't decide if it was Alex Jones or Jon Bowden who was also red carded. Mark Monington joined them before he joined us and decided getting sent off at Rotherham was more fun.

Kitfact: that game was the only one in three seasons where Dale wore blue socks.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 08:47 - Nov 8 with 3267 viewsPDIDDY

Drew at spotland then bury won at gigg, 1979/80 I think, we went onto play burnley and liverpool

Gissa job

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 11:12 - Nov 8 with 3158 viewsseasidedale

Oldham at spotland 1970-71 first round won 2-0 we beat Darlo in round 2 before the famous coventry game, over 13,500 i think
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 11:26 - Nov 8 with 3154 viewsdalefertcup2

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 11:12 - Nov 8 by seasidedale

Oldham at spotland 1970-71 first round won 2-0 we beat Darlo in round 2 before the famous coventry game, over 13,500 i think

Ditto
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 11:33 - Nov 8 with 3144 viewsD_Alien

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 00:19 - Nov 8 by TVOS1907

According to 'the book', he was substituted the week before in a 1-0 home defeat to Bradford, but returned for two more games in the Spring.

He didn't play v Barrow in the FA Cup and was replaced by Barry Wheatley in the only change from the Bradford match.

Time and memory play tricks! Richardson broke his leg the week before, but the injury cast a pall over the FA Cup tie.

In terms of influence, think Matty Lund last year.

I wish you hadn't reminded me of Barry Wheatley though!

[Post edited 8 Nov 2014 11:40]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 11:36 - Nov 8 with 3139 viewsMoonyDale

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 04:00 - Nov 8 by pioneer

Barnsley (a) November 68, 0-0. A good performance against a team a division above us but lost the replay at home 1-0. we were about to hit our only sticky patch in the promotion season.

Same here, didn't see the away draw but saw the home defeat....Bloody Barnsley

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 19:38 - Nov 8 with 3041 viewsmingthemerciless

The infamous defeat at home against Altrincham. Their Jack Swindells ran us ragged that night. Most Dale players were awful. Rabbits in the headlights. In fact one or two never played for the first team again, Barrie Ratcliffe for one ! Just one in a long list of absolutely terrible FA Cup performances in that era.

I remember Richardson getting his leg broken. A Bradford player went over the top of the ball in a tackle right on front of me. A real grudge tackle. Richardson was never the same player again, that tackle finished his career. I'm certain sure this was a league match not the FA Cup.
Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 19:40 - Nov 8 with 3035 viewsSuddenLad

Your first FA Cup game with Dale? on 00:01 - Nov 8 by D_Alien

Dale 1 Barrow 3 1966

Not a great start

Barry Richardson ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024