Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ODB from WSC 12:26 - Nov 15 with 3714 viewssteve_g

15 November ~ The experts were clear in their pre-season assessment of Blackpool’s prospects and the predictions have turned out to be chillingly accurate. It was widely expected that the Seasiders would finish rock bottom in the Championship and after 17 matches, that is precisely where they sit. The squad that was belatedly assembled was just not of the quality required to win games in the second tier, yet chairman Karl Oyston felt compelled to dismiss Jose Riga, appointed manager in the summer, after Blackpool took only six points from their opening 14 league fixtures.

The sacking was a largely unpopular decision with the fanbase, who instead pin the majority of the blame on Oyston. The unenviable task of salvaging the sinking ship falls to Lee Clark, who had been sacked himself by fellow relegation strugglers Birmingham City only a week beforehand.

Clark inherits a squad low on confidence and ability, but also faces a challenge in winning over the section of support still aggrieved that Riga is no longer in charge. That a manager with such a poor record can still command the respect of the fans says much for the tough circumstances he had to endure.

The incoming manager has been bullish about survival, although whether he genuinely believes that the cause is not lost only he can say. His second game in charge might have brought a win at Fulham were it not for a contentious sending-off.

Clark has been able to bring in a few of his own players but is currently limited to loans and those out of contract, such as Jamie O’Hara who arrived last week. Major overhaul of the squad will have to wait until January, by which time the game could be effectively up. Blackpool already need something approaching play-off form for the remainder of the season to reach the magical 50 point mark. It’s a target most Pool fans have given up on.

A tiny glimmer of light exists in the shape of the Latvian minority shareholder Valeri Belokon, who remains engaged in a war of words with the Oyston family. Legal action has been threatened over a financial disagreement and Belokon has intimated he would be willing to be part of a takeover bid. Many consider the Latvian’s original investment during the Simon Grayson and Ian Holloway eras to be the spark that guided the club to the Premier League, but for now the Oyston family seem intent on sticking around. Chris Walker

Poll: Has the O's treatment of fans re: court proceedings changed your opinion of them

ODB from WSC on 12:32 - Nov 15 with 2189 viewsWizaard

Good summary for those who don't know what is going on. The most telling line for me is "The Oyston family seem intent on sticking around"

Far too many seem to think that the current shambles is some kind of engineered escape plan. It's not. It's just a shambles.

The sooner people wake up to that and realise that the only change can come from the source of the problem, the sooner some kind of constructive discussion can take place on how to proceed in getting out of this mess.

All that's happening is that views are becoming more and more polarised, with a siege mentality well entrenched at Oyston HQ.
ODB from WSC on 12:33 - Nov 15 with 2188 viewsTangent

Can't argue with any of the OP.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2014 12:35]

“Unlike other clubs, we do things properly.” — Karl Oyston - 2013

ODB from WSC on 17:19 - Nov 15 with 2159 viewsPlumbs

ODB from WSC on 12:32 - Nov 15 by Wizaard

Good summary for those who don't know what is going on. The most telling line for me is "The Oyston family seem intent on sticking around"

Far too many seem to think that the current shambles is some kind of engineered escape plan. It's not. It's just a shambles.

The sooner people wake up to that and realise that the only change can come from the source of the problem, the sooner some kind of constructive discussion can take place on how to proceed in getting out of this mess.

All that's happening is that views are becoming more and more polarised, with a siege mentality well entrenched at Oyston HQ.

Wizz:

Very true but everyone who's ever done business with the O's have been telling people how intransigent they are,and how ruthless they are running their businesses.
They were saying this when the Seasiders were in the PL and everyone was happy,but the tales and whispers have turned out to be true.

The O's will never change because they really arent Blackpool fans at heart (ditto Bill Cartmell and co)

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

ODB from WSC on 21:18 - Nov 15 with 2112 viewsterminallytangerine

ODB from WSC on 17:19 - Nov 15 by Plumbs

Wizz:

Very true but everyone who's ever done business with the O's have been telling people how intransigent they are,and how ruthless they are running their businesses.
They were saying this when the Seasiders were in the PL and everyone was happy,but the tales and whispers have turned out to be true.

The O's will never change because they really arent Blackpool fans at heart (ditto Bill Cartmell and co)

I think Wiz, as so often, calls it right - and I don't disagree with Plumbs analysis as he or I and the vast majority of supporters would run the club differently. .

If they are not going to sell, the only way forward is through dialogue.

There are some who see the Oystons as a cancer and that the end - to drive them out - justifies the means. But the idea of total war against the Oystons (a) isn't working, (b) isn't backed by the majority of supporters (most of whom don't join an organisation like BSA or BST) (c) is making some games so toxic that supporters are driven away.

The only way forward is dialogue - and clearly this is what BSA and BST - as reported after their interview with Riga - want. Channels between the owners and the supporters need to be kept open so that supporters can continue to make their genuine concerns, frustrations, anger known in a way that cannot be labelled as mob rule (the perception of the owners even if we can debate the accuracy of their perceptions.)

Even if the alternative were to be effective it risks destroying the club we should be trying to build for the 21st century: not only a team that we can be proud of but a place where we are all united in a common purpose and where families and minorities feel at home.

(I'll start the ball rolling with a -1!)
ODB from WSC on 21:44 - Nov 15 with 2104 viewsstraightatthewall

ODB from WSC on 21:18 - Nov 15 by terminallytangerine

I think Wiz, as so often, calls it right - and I don't disagree with Plumbs analysis as he or I and the vast majority of supporters would run the club differently. .

If they are not going to sell, the only way forward is through dialogue.

There are some who see the Oystons as a cancer and that the end - to drive them out - justifies the means. But the idea of total war against the Oystons (a) isn't working, (b) isn't backed by the majority of supporters (most of whom don't join an organisation like BSA or BST) (c) is making some games so toxic that supporters are driven away.

The only way forward is dialogue - and clearly this is what BSA and BST - as reported after their interview with Riga - want. Channels between the owners and the supporters need to be kept open so that supporters can continue to make their genuine concerns, frustrations, anger known in a way that cannot be labelled as mob rule (the perception of the owners even if we can debate the accuracy of their perceptions.)

Even if the alternative were to be effective it risks destroying the club we should be trying to build for the 21st century: not only a team that we can be proud of but a place where we are all united in a common purpose and where families and minorities feel at home.

(I'll start the ball rolling with a -1!)

And what is more dialogue going to achieve?

It's a waste of time because supporters will be looking for something that the Oyston's are not willing to give. How many times do we need to go through the same old crap to understand this?

And there's absolutely no reason or evidence to suggest that they aren't going somewhere. Just because Karl says so? Well forgive me if I don't think he's got much of a track record of following through on the things he says.....And as for his dear old, definitely still not guilty Papa.....

What threads like this, recent comments on this site in particular and the general willingness to give them another chance shows me that we have some pretty spineless fans who are more willing to accept total second best and utter farce as opposed to taking the really difficult steps of deciding that to affect change some really hard decisions need to be made.

It really saddens me to be honest.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

ODB from WSC on 21:50 - Nov 15 with 2097 viewsFountain

ODB from WSC on 12:32 - Nov 15 by Wizaard

"The Oyston family seem intent on sticking around"

Indeed Wiz, but 'seem' is the most telling word.

They have no choice, well no financially viable choice to 'stay around'.These bastards will be gone sooner than we think.

imo

slap me on the patio

ODB from WSC on 21:53 - Nov 15 with 2088 viewsPlumbs

ODB from WSC on 21:50 - Nov 15 by Fountain

"The Oyston family seem intent on sticking around"

Indeed Wiz, but 'seem' is the most telling word.

They have no choice, well no financially viable choice to 'stay around'.These bastards will be gone sooner than we think.

imo

Fount:
the key will come when the costs of using BR as a base are overhauled by the losses in their businesses,wher even they arent daft enough to allow money to go pouring down the drain.
If the hospitality and other stuff thats trousered starts to wane,then they'll be off in a jiffy.

No pun with 'jiffy' and 'Tangerines' btw (smiley)

ODB from WSC on 21:57 - Nov 15 with 2083 viewsFountain

ODB from WSC on 21:53 - Nov 15 by Plumbs

Fount:
the key will come when the costs of using BR as a base are overhauled by the losses in their businesses,wher even they arent daft enough to allow money to go pouring down the drain.
If the hospitality and other stuff thats trousered starts to wane,then they'll be off in a jiffy.

*projectile reply smiley*

There will be no money to be had from the Club and they could have to pay millions even to keep hold. They won't.

Like ancient Rome....

slap me on the patio

Login to get fewer ads

ODB from WSC on 10:32 - Nov 16 with 2030 viewsWizaard

ODB from WSC on 21:53 - Nov 15 by Plumbs

Fount:

The club continues to make money. They're going nowhere.

This insistence that they're leaving is from those who call me deluded.

You really can't make it up.
ODB from WSC on 12:10 - Nov 16 with 2009 viewsFountain

ODB from WSC on 10:32 - Nov 16 by Wizaard

The club continues to make money. They're going nowhere.

This insistence that they're leaving is from those who call me deluded.

You really can't make it up.

Not me Wiz. I wouldn't never call you anything of the sort.

slap me on the patio

ODB from WSC on 12:47 - Nov 16 with 1998 viewsMrTangerineMan

SATW - nail on the head
ODB from WSC on 17:34 - Nov 16 with 1968 viewsterminallytangerine

ODB from WSC on 12:47 - Nov 16 by MrTangerineMan

SATW - nail on the head

Disagree that it is spineless to use the channels currently open to us to try to effect change.

It would be easier just to go along with hurling abuse; it takes more spine to seek alternatives in the current climate, and as I understand it dialogue is the preferred option of both supporters' organisations.

Edit: Oops sorry. Forgot to add the -1.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2014 21:46]
ODB from WSC on 16:11 - Nov 17 with 1876 viewsstraightatthewall

ODB from WSC on 17:34 - Nov 16 by terminallytangerine

Disagree that it is spineless to use the channels currently open to us to try to effect change.

It would be easier just to go along with hurling abuse; it takes more spine to seek alternatives in the current climate, and as I understand it dialogue is the preferred option of both supporters' organisations.

Edit: Oops sorry. Forgot to add the -1.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2014 21:46]

TT,

I'm not going to turn this into a BSA v BST debate. Dialogue is the right way BUT you can only start the process of dialogue when both parties come to the table with some obvious sense of synergy in terms of what they want to achieve. My point is, that the O's haven't done anything in years to show that they want to see the club follow the same path that the supporters do. Words now are meaningless as they've gone back on them - or at least not followed up on what they've said - on too many occasions. That's not a starting point for dialogue and I firmly believe it isn't a starting point that the Trust would be willing to engage from.

Wiz,

the key point re 'making money' is where does that money currently come from and what changes going forward?

I agree that anyone thinking they are going to go before they've taken everything they can is totally deluded, but beyond that there is a strong and clear case for them heading off. Now that they've orchastrated a clear 'method' that allowed the removal of maximum funds without any of it being at risk, you can also see that there's precious little value left in the club as it stands.

I've always felt they'd prefer to sell the football club, but not the property; I know founts thinks differently and I'd love his view of them selling on lock, stock and barrel to be so. Personally, I think they'd prefer to be a landlord and hope to milk it in from there on. I'd have to say that if that was the case, we'd be 33% better off. I'd still want us to be rid of the greedy, grubby parasites.....

Either way though, the idea that they will never sell is bonkers. It's more about when....

ODB from WSC on 17:06 - Nov 17 with 1852 viewsFountain

ODB from WSC on 16:11 - Nov 17 by straightatthewall

TT,

I'm not going to turn this into a BSA v BST debate. Dialogue is the right way BUT you can only start the process of dialogue when both parties come to the table with some obvious sense of synergy in terms of what they want to achieve. My point is, that the O's haven't done anything in years to show that they want to see the club follow the same path that the supporters do. Words now are meaningless as they've gone back on them - or at least not followed up on what they've said - on too many occasions. That's not a starting point for dialogue and I firmly believe it isn't a starting point that the Trust would be willing to engage from.

Wiz,

the key point re 'making money' is where does that money currently come from and what changes going forward?

I agree that anyone thinking they are going to go before they've taken everything they can is totally deluded, but beyond that there is a strong and clear case for them heading off. Now that they've orchastrated a clear 'method' that allowed the removal of maximum funds without any of it being at risk, you can also see that there's precious little value left in the club as it stands.

I've always felt they'd prefer to sell the football club, but not the property; I know founts thinks differently and I'd love his view of them selling on lock, stock and barrel to be so. Personally, I think they'd prefer to be a landlord and hope to milk it in from there on. I'd have to say that if that was the case, we'd be 33% better off. I'd still want us to be rid of the greedy, grubby parasites.....

Either way though, the idea that they will never sell is bonkers. It's more about when....

Strayers, I genuinely don't think anyone would entertain the idea of buying BFC theClub and not the buildings. Oystons name is mud and I don't see 'business partners' entering any relationship with them- sure they make protect themselves from being ripped off but would anyone want a working relationship with them? Owing is getting on anyway so it's likely that there would be no ambiguity in who makes the decisions, which is a bad thing all round. I suspect that the essential trust would not be there from the off.

Then there is the future income streams. From next season they will be tiny compared to what they have been with little revenue from the fans and little from the lets either (if rumours are true). The O's could have to ACTUALLY subsidise the Club when you think about it- God Forbid.

Also would any new investor want to pay rents anyway- sort of dead money when the Club is at a low point financially and needing to be built up.

The way I see it BFC and it's assets will be like a white elephant to the O's- lots of money tied up with little or no return. Even pre-Belokon they made good money through Protoplan (£1.1m in one year from a turnover of £5m). Would it therefore not make more sense to realise the asset and take the money now especially when KO clearly doesn't want to do the job?

Then there is the final scenario surrounding Belokon and his claim. What if VB was successful and the O's had to pay him 'big' money? Would they want to do this and from where would the money come? Essentially a bargaining tool that could see the O's having to pay to keep hold of the Club with little prospect of ever getting the money back.

The question may turn out to be very different from 'Do the O's want to sell lock, stock...' and become more of a 'no choice' statement.

I would be amazed if they retained control of any part of BFC in a years time.

slap me on the patio

ODB from WSC on 17:22 - Nov 17 with 1839 viewsterminallytangerine

ODB from WSC on 16:11 - Nov 17 by straightatthewall

TT,

Wiz,

I wasn't trying to introduce a BSA / BST debate: there is already a site dedicated to this issue. I was only pointing out that both organisations endorse your point that dialogue is the right way forward, though you do in the next breath suggest that dialogue is futile and meaningless (so not sure where you stand on this). I also agree that the owners record of investment, satisfying supporters' justified expectations and running of the club particularly since Holloway's departure has been far from ideal - and far from what you or I would have done in the same position.

My objection is to the suggestion that those who seek dialogue in order to effect change are 'spineless'. They aren't.

As for the longer term speculation about the future of the club, if we have a millionaire buyer who will invest in the future of the club we will all be delighted but in the meantime we have to use the methods we see as most effective to try to dig us out of this hole.
ODB from WSC on 17:52 - Nov 17 with 1828 viewsstraightatthewall

ODB from WSC on 17:22 - Nov 17 by terminallytangerine

I wasn't trying to introduce a BSA / BST debate: there is already a site dedicated to this issue. I was only pointing out that both organisations endorse your point that dialogue is the right way forward, though you do in the next breath suggest that dialogue is futile and meaningless (so not sure where you stand on this). I also agree that the owners record of investment, satisfying supporters' justified expectations and running of the club particularly since Holloway's departure has been far from ideal - and far from what you or I would have done in the same position.

My objection is to the suggestion that those who seek dialogue in order to effect change are 'spineless'. They aren't.

As for the longer term speculation about the future of the club, if we have a millionaire buyer who will invest in the future of the club we will all be delighted but in the meantime we have to use the methods we see as most effective to try to dig us out of this hole.

Let me spell out my position:

Dialogue is the only way forward WHEN it's clear that both parties are making the same level of effort and taking the same level of action to achieve the same goal.

Dialogue that continues for dialogue's sake and is achieving nothing because one party has no intention of changing is pointless and has to be ended. Carrying on down that route when you keep getting dry bummed (for want of a better term....) is taking an easy route and hoping it pays off in my view. As said above, there's a time when tough decisions have to be made. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

As for the hole, I hate to say it, but we're in too deep now. And the hole was dug by the same people you're willing to talk to about digging us out of it. That's madness.....

Founts - I'd like what you say to be true, but part of me thinks a) that the O's don't see themselves as muddied partners/business associates. I suspect that in Karl and Owen's world its simply a case of 'doing the deal.' In common parlance, they ain't there to make friends....

Whether that's right or not, who knows. I also think it would be a very bad deal for anyone taking the club alone, but then again, much will depend on how they word it, how the rent looks, how long etc...how much you get from all the various knock ons like match day entertainment and so forth. Lest we forget how 'good' our attendances have been this year......

ODB from WSC on 18:12 - Nov 17 with 1820 viewsFountain

ODB from WSC on 17:52 - Nov 17 by straightatthewall

Dialogue is the only way forward WHEN it's clear that both parties are making the same level of effort and taking the same level of action to achieve the same goal.

Dialogue that continues for dialogue's sake and is achieving nothing because one party has no intention of changing is pointless and has to be ended. Carrying on down that route when you keep getting dry bummed (for want of a better term....) is taking an easy route and hoping it pays off in my view. As said above, there's a time when tough decisions have to be made. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

As for the hole, I hate to say it, but we're in too deep now. And the hole was dug by the same people you're willing to talk to about digging us out of it. That's madness.....

Founts - I'd like what you say to be true, but part of me thinks a) that the O's don't see themselves as muddied partners/business associates. I suspect that in Karl and Owen's world its simply a case of 'doing the deal.' In common parlance, they ain't there to make friends....

Whether that's right or not, who knows. I also think it would be a very bad deal for anyone taking the club alone, but then again, much will depend on how they word it, how the rent looks, how long etc...how much you get from all the various knock ons like match day entertainment and so forth. Lest we forget how 'good' our attendances have been this year......

Strayers, you are looking at that from an Oystin pov. Someone looking for a business opportunity would do their due dilly and realise what a bunch of not very trustworthy (in a moral football sense) chaps they were dealing with. Do that and they then move an to a cosier relationship elsewhere.

Besides my 'no choice' scenario is the one being played out as far as I can see. just because it isn't front page news in the Gaze....OK, I'll give you that one , doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Plus KoKupKoKo has said they aren't going anywhere. Which given his panache for perverse truth is comforting.

slap me on the patio

ODB from WSC on 18:26 - Nov 17 with 1809 viewsterminallytangerine

ODB from WSC on 17:52 - Nov 17 by straightatthewall

Northern Ireland? South Africa?

Hardly easy options. Hardly spineless negotiators. Hardly dialogue for dialogue's sake.

Hardly comparable perhaps to our situation but the principle remains the same.

I don't doubt your sincerity but I do question the necessity of abusing those who don't share your views.
ODB from WSC on 19:24 - Nov 17 with 1773 viewsPool4eva

ODB from WSC on 18:26 - Nov 17 by terminallytangerine

Northern Ireland? South Africa?

Hardly easy options. Hardly spineless negotiators. Hardly dialogue for dialogue's sake.

Hardly comparable perhaps to our situation but the principle remains the same.

I don't doubt your sincerity but I do question the necessity of abusing those who don't share your views.

TT Northern Ireland, South Africa ?? In some ways a very good comparison, except the change in both those "Conflicts" only came after "Direct Action" by the opposition forces "IRA/ANC" which forced the Govs to not only "Talk" but to also "Listen"

I am not suggesting we resort to violence in any way, shape or form, but we do need to take some direct action to force KO to talk and more importantly "Listen" before it is too late and we are a non league outfit.

as you said "priciples2 are the same
ODB from WSC on 19:33 - Nov 17 with 1766 viewsstraightatthewall

ODB from WSC on 19:24 - Nov 17 by Pool4eva

TT Northern Ireland, South Africa ?? In some ways a very good comparison, except the change in both those "Conflicts" only came after "Direct Action" by the opposition forces "IRA/ANC" which forced the Govs to not only "Talk" but to also "Listen"

I am not suggesting we resort to violence in any way, shape or form, but we do need to take some direct action to force KO to talk and more importantly "Listen" before it is too late and we are a non league outfit.

as you said "priciples2 are the same

Is it really abusive? I'm just saying that everyone needs the guts to make some hard decisions. Because whatever way you want to sugarcoat it, dialogue under the current 'terms' hasn't worked.

And from a wider perspective this not just about BSA. It's also about how we all act. One things for sure, sitting around saying 'the players need my support' is really just saying 'I like to watch and my position means more than the clubs.'

ODB from WSC on 20:25 - Nov 17 with 1732 viewsPlumbs

ODB from WSC on 19:33 - Nov 17 by straightatthewall

Is it really abusive? I'm just saying that everyone needs the guts to make some hard decisions. Because whatever way you want to sugarcoat it, dialogue under the current 'terms' hasn't worked.

And from a wider perspective this not just about BSA. It's also about how we all act. One things for sure, sitting around saying 'the players need my support' is really just saying 'I like to watch and my position means more than the clubs.'

An excellent summing up straiters.

ODB from WSC on 20:38 - Nov 17 with 1722 viewsterminallytangerine

ODB from WSC on 19:33 - Nov 17 by straightatthewall

Well calling people spineless whose methods of affecting change is different to yours is arguably abusive, as is stereotyping those who actually think the current campaign isn't working as behaving selfishly and not acting in the long term interest of the club. Clearly different people have different solutions to our long term problems.

And this is not about the two supporters groups which have both advocated dialogue with the owners but about the majority of supporters who are not members of either organisation.

It saddens me that some people - not SATW I think - would be happy for relegation in the as yet unproven hope that the Oystons would therefore automatically leave the club. As supporters our first priority should be supporting the players rather than abusing the owners as despite what Jose predictably said this is more likely to impact on their performance. IMHO of course.
ODB from WSC on 20:58 - Nov 17 with 1717 viewsFountain

Not one fan wants relegation, it's just the myth that it will heap pressure on the Oystons that makes them say so but in reality nobody wants that.

The fact that it WILL cost the O's to get relegated (selling wise) is forcing them into some transfer activity. As misguided, mis-timed and misappropriated as it is.

slap me on the patio

ODB from WSC on 21:44 - Nov 17 with 1693 viewsWizaard

ODB from WSC on 20:58 - Nov 17 by Fountain

Not one fan wants relegation, it's just the myth that it will heap pressure on the Oystons that makes them say so but in reality nobody wants that.

The fact that it WILL cost the O's to get relegated (selling wise) is forcing them into some transfer activity. As misguided, mis-timed and misappropriated as it is.

Quite. Spending has predictably started to try and rectify the lack of it in the summer, just as failing to replace a few soffits18 months ago means they have to replace them all under the West.

This isn't a dig at straiters but it's easy to call for a boycott when you are hardly going or not going at all.

Never mind the financial investment. I genuinely don't care about the money. It's the emotional investment that keeps people going and why a boycott will never work. It's built into the fabric of people's lives and they're not going to give that up in the vain hope the owners will take notice and leave.

The hope we might stay up is a more likely one and I bet the bookies would agree with me. Supporting the team is the be all and end all for thousands , which a lot of people on messageboards seem to have forgotten
ODB from WSC on 22:35 - Nov 17 with 1679 viewsterminallytangerine

ODB from WSC on 20:58 - Nov 17 by Fountain

Well that's reassuring Founts - though the delight at Riga's supposed departure within weeks of his appointment as expressed very clearly in another place - might make you think otherwise.

It's good to talk though.

Goodnight.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024