Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apple Mac Users 07:59 - Nov 16 with 1781 viewsToast_R

Anyone who uses a Mac...Yosemite just cost me £500 to put right. Avoid.
Corrupted my hard drive and lost all my files. That f*cking hurt.
Apple Mac Users on 08:30 - Nov 16 with 1750 viewsShotKneesHoop

Yosemite loaded perfectly for me - and works perfectly as well - what's the problem?

You could have taken it to any Apple Store and they'd have fixed it for free.

Who charged you £500 to fix it? SWP?

Maybe you have a Desktop image of Sue Perkins and a Cucumber on start up. If so, in that case, it's £500 well spent.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2014 8:32]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Apple Mac Users on 08:49 - Nov 16 with 1717 viewsToast_R

Apple the c*nts.

Went to install it and it crashed during the install the wouldn't boot up at all after. Had Maverick before but it had wiped this for the new Yosemite system to load. Was on web chat to Apple support for 2 hours trying all manor of things but nothing worked. In the end they said I'd have to bring it in but my nearest Apple Store had no appointments for 2 weeks. They gave me a list of approved technicians in my area. Out of warrantee (2.5 years old) so had to pay. Turns out the hard drive was f*cked which is why a new OS could be installed (bad blocks whatever that is?) was working fine before Yosemite had a go at it....
So diagnostic, new hard drive, file retrieval from the knackered hard drive (photos and 15 years worth of music), labour and vat....£500 notes.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2014 8:51]
Apple Mac Users on 09:36 - Nov 16 with 1644 viewsjoolsyp

Sorry to hear that. Did you back up your hard drive before you upgraded to Yosemite? Just about every article I've read on upgrading any operating system says you should always clone your hard drive before you upgrade.

Presume the £500 was to recover the data which is the going rate these days for big hard drives.
Apple Mac Users on 10:02 - Nov 16 with 1625 viewsToast_R

I did but this is the controversial part. As Yosemite had failed to install leaving my Macbook in limbo.... one of the ideas from support was to save everything from the macbook to an external drive. To do that i had to format my external drive to make room for the macbook data which would then be reinstalled once a fresh copy of Maverick had been uploaded. Stupidly i believed this would work and the files on the external would be replaced by the up to date contents of my Macbook. It failed during the copying process (knackered hard drive again) so l f*cked myself over really. It was late i was tiered and i didnt think it through whole heatedly and just assumed via Apple Support it would work. Luckily we hadnt formatted the Macbook to try a new OS installation else i really would have been dead in the water files wise. A big mess really as the life span of my Macbook Hardrivr (2.5 years old) is a f*cking disgrace for a machine that cost 1K. There you have it.
Apple Mac Users on 10:39 - Nov 16 with 1586 viewsHoops1975

Apple Mac Users on 10:02 - Nov 16 by Toast_R

I did but this is the controversial part. As Yosemite had failed to install leaving my Macbook in limbo.... one of the ideas from support was to save everything from the macbook to an external drive. To do that i had to format my external drive to make room for the macbook data which would then be reinstalled once a fresh copy of Maverick had been uploaded. Stupidly i believed this would work and the files on the external would be replaced by the up to date contents of my Macbook. It failed during the copying process (knackered hard drive again) so l f*cked myself over really. It was late i was tiered and i didnt think it through whole heatedly and just assumed via Apple Support it would work. Luckily we hadnt formatted the Macbook to try a new OS installation else i really would have been dead in the water files wise. A big mess really as the life span of my Macbook Hardrivr (2.5 years old) is a f*cking disgrace for a machine that cost 1K. There you have it.

I have a Macbook Pro which is running Snow Leopard because of being slightly too old to upgrade to Lion etc it's an Intel Duo Core and not Duo Core 2 I am now on hard drive number 4 !! I have lost so much stuff over the years due to hard drive failures but have been replacing them myself and then replacing the operation system... the problem I found is that Macbooks can get very hot and you will hear when your hard drive is close to failure by the noise it will be making. My advice to all that have Macbooks is to back up your system weekly using Time Machine and also to purchase a cooler fan pad which is cheap as chips on Ebay to stop the damn thing from overheating.....Mac = Shiny Shit For Posers .... I certainly learned my lesson !
Apple Mac Users on 11:11 - Nov 16 with 1549 viewsbaz_qpr

Sorry to hear that mate, I had no problems upgrading but I did have an issue similar a few years ago, but I was able to boot up from an external hard drive back up, when the drive failed. The moral of the story here , is whether PC Mac IOS or Android back up before you do anything to touch the OS and always keep a boot up OS on an external hard drive.

IMHO everyone should be advised to have an external hard drive and secondly if you buy a laptop be it PC or Mac that costs more than £500 then buy an extended warranty.

Also IMHO Hard Drives have become less reliable as they take on more storage, guess thats why laptops are moving to flash drives
[Post edited 16 Nov 2014 11:13]
Apple Mac Users on 20:13 - Nov 16 with 1347 viewsMrSheen

Apple Mac Users on 20:21 - Nov 16 with 1331 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Wow, that's a bummer. So glad I don't reside in the Apple ecosphere.
Login to get fewer ads

Apple Mac Users on 21:32 - Nov 16 with 1278 viewsLythamR

Apple Mac Users on 20:21 - Nov 16 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Wow, that's a bummer. So glad I don't reside in the Apple ecosphere.

Sorry to hear about your problems, sounds like a nightmare

The drives used in Macs and PCs are pretty much the same and Macs generally dont run any hotter than windows pc's, in my experience they generally run cooler if anything. the expected drive life and likelihood of developing bad sectors is the same whichever OS you are running

Having been through a number of disasters over the years the one thing i have learnt is never trust computers and never trust hard disks internal or external, from the moment you switch one on you are ticking down to disaster, the one thing you know about a computer and particularly a hard disk is that it will fail its just a matter of when and how dramatically, doesnt matter, what type, it is going to happen.

I always recommend anyone with a PC or a mac to back up to 2 separate external devices (store one in a draw in a different room to avoid computer and both drives being stolen) and if you can back up to the cloud then do that as well, that way you are pretty much covered. otherwise only luc will prevent sods law from eventually applying
Apple Mac Users on 23:30 - Nov 16 with 1209 viewsLazyFan

Apple Mac Users on 21:32 - Nov 16 by LythamR

Sorry to hear about your problems, sounds like a nightmare

The drives used in Macs and PCs are pretty much the same and Macs generally dont run any hotter than windows pc's, in my experience they generally run cooler if anything. the expected drive life and likelihood of developing bad sectors is the same whichever OS you are running

Having been through a number of disasters over the years the one thing i have learnt is never trust computers and never trust hard disks internal or external, from the moment you switch one on you are ticking down to disaster, the one thing you know about a computer and particularly a hard disk is that it will fail its just a matter of when and how dramatically, doesnt matter, what type, it is going to happen.

I always recommend anyone with a PC or a mac to back up to 2 separate external devices (store one in a draw in a different room to avoid computer and both drives being stolen) and if you can back up to the cloud then do that as well, that way you are pretty much covered. otherwise only luc will prevent sods law from eventually applying

Hi,
Agreed it could happen to anyone. However it won't cost you the price of a new laptop to repair except in the Apple world.

Ubuntu is the complete solution. Best of all worlds and anyone can use it. Stop the Apple rot, hardware that has a software lockin. Very bad and no the user interface is not great, its very poor once you get past the basics and eventually everyone has to learn more than the basics.

Even the pensioner that lives next door has learned Ubuntu and she was a book keeper before of the old style real book kind. there are no more excuses for it.

zzzzzzzzzz

Apple Mac Users on 13:45 - Nov 17 with 1102 viewsLewes_r

Thats bad luck.. doesnt make macs shit tho.. you got unlucky.. typing this from a 10 year old mac..

I do think the SSD new macbooks are much more rialable now they dont have moving parts

back up the backups folks and look into cloud storage (unless you have some dirty pics of sue perkins that is)
[Post edited 17 Nov 2014 13:47]

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Apple Mac Users on 13:51 - Nov 17 with 1080 viewsMelakaRanger

My 6 month old iMac had a hard disc failure. Luckily as under warranty it was repaired FOC although this did take the Apple Store 6 days to do!

Although free I gad to sign a repair authorisation form which listed the cost had it not been under the warranty.

The cost would have been 104 quid which included 24 quid labour.
Apple Mac Users on 14:56 - Nov 17 with 1040 viewskensalriser

It's worth remembering that a manufacturer's warranty is given in addition, and is not related to your statutory rights.

In this case you might argue that given the original price and supposed reputation of the product, it failed long before the reasonably anticipated lifespan and that therefore you should be entitled to a repair or replacement after taking into account the benefit of use until failure.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Apple Mac Users on 16:02 - Nov 17 with 1007 viewsBklynRanger

Apple Mac Users on 14:56 - Nov 17 by kensalriser

It's worth remembering that a manufacturer's warranty is given in addition, and is not related to your statutory rights.

In this case you might argue that given the original price and supposed reputation of the product, it failed long before the reasonably anticipated lifespan and that therefore you should be entitled to a repair or replacement after taking into account the benefit of use until failure.

But in this day and age how would you win that argument without one of these:?

I've got the Yosemite update prompt popping up every day but I read some things that put me off doing at the moment. All of the Apple stuff is overpriced imo but the iMac was the one product I decided to replace with another one. I got 5 years heavy use out of the first and am hoping for the same with this one, assuming the fusion drive doesn't explode.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024