Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This stopping the game for a head injury rule 01:08 - Dec 3 with 3954 viewsHighjack

There's been quite a few instances of players taking advantage of this to kill the momentum of an attack this season, twice Joey Barton did it tonight. All you have to do is go down clutching your head for no reason and hey presto the momentum is killed and you waste another 3 minutes of the match.

Something needs to be done.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 01:13 - Dec 3 with 2920 viewsZut_Alors

Wasn't going to take long for someone to take advantage of this, and it's no surprise that it's that tw*t Barton. Difficult to prove it, but if it could be done, they should ban whoever does it to try and stop it before it becomes commonplace.
This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 01:13 - Dec 3 with 2918 viewsSwansNZ

Aye, I noticed once, that qpr rather than kicking the ball back to Fab or one of the back 4, they kicked it into touch and then contested the throw-in — b@sdtards the lot of them.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 02:04 - Dec 3 with 2891 viewsHighjack

Both occasions he made a complete arse of the tackle and when he realised he'd lost the ball and we were breaking he just threw himself down clutching his head, and the ref has no choice but to stop the game. Gamesmanship at its worst. But f uck him we won.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 09:39 - Dec 3 with 2674 viewsJackFish

When it becomes apparent that there is no injury they should be made to go off the pitch anyway and wait before coming back on.
This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 09:47 - Dec 3 with 2665 viewsBrynmill_Jack

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 09:39 - Dec 3 by JackFish

When it becomes apparent that there is no injury they should be made to go off the pitch anyway and wait before coming back on.

F*cking good point! It happens for so called "lesser" injuries

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 11:47 - Dec 3 with 2603 viewsjack_obs

Surely they should allow trainers/physios to come onto the pitch whilst play continues if the Ref gives the signal. It's definitely a tactic for teams now. If there's a prospect that play will come into contact with the 'injured' player then the Ref blows up.
This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 13:37 - Dec 3 with 2522 viewsJackSomething

I've been banging on about a few simple rule changes for years now. One was the ref using some kind of temporary mark to ensure players are ten yards away from free kicks. Was delighted to see that simple measure introduced finally.

One of the others was imposing a minimum time players have to be off the pitch following treatment, which the fourth official can enforce. If a player knows his team will be down to ten men for 2 minutes of play (for example), it may well cut out a lot of the play-acting we see that is intended to slow the game down.

Austin had to go off for something last night (blood?) and the ref waved him back on without taking any notice of where the ball was, meaning Bartley was almost dispossessed by a player he thought was still off the pitch!

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 13:44 - Dec 3 with 2513 viewsLeonisGod

Only stop for a decapitation?

In seriousness, the solution is very simple and one that has been talked about before on here before. Make each half shorter and stop the clock when the ball goes dead. It would end all time wasting.

But you have to remember that FIFA have openly said that they think contentious incidents are good for the game, as it gives a talking point (what they mean is it's good to raise publicity in the press with a view to increasing revenue). It's all about marketing and I'm not sure ideas which could actually benefit the fairness of the game will be top of the agenda.
Login to get fewer ads

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 15:54 - Dec 3 with 2418 viewsymaohyd

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 01:13 - Dec 3 by Zut_Alors

Wasn't going to take long for someone to take advantage of this, and it's no surprise that it's that tw*t Barton. Difficult to prove it, but if it could be done, they should ban whoever does it to try and stop it before it becomes commonplace.

Wasn't at the game last night, If Barton was doing that, it really is the lowest of the low.

The old adage in business that when 'America sneezes, we (Britain) catch a cold', can be applied in lots of ways.

Concussion in sport and therefore litigation is big business in the States. I believe, NFL only allow so many full contact training sessions a season.

I think rugby will go down that route (to a point) as it cannot sustain the current impact rugby players are putting their bodies under without a fatality. We have just witnessed the tragedy of Philip Hughes in cricket which was a terrible accident. When a fatality occurs in rugby, the shi* will hit the fan..just wait and see.

As for football,l there have been a few cases I believe where clubs have been accused of not looking after their players and the vigilance of refs is just going to heighten. For the likes of Joey Barton to conduct himself in the manner he apparently did as I say really is the lowest of the low.

What a vile individual that 'man' is.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 15:58 - Dec 3 with 2414 viewsHighjack

I don't see why physios or doctors can't come on whilst the game is moving. They do it in rugby.

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 16:34 - Dec 3 with 2391 viewsacejack3065

Arsenhole were the worst ive ever seen for this particular piece of gamesmanship but it was devilishly ironic to see footballs so called "hard man" crying wolf over head injuries.

The rules definitely need clearing up because its currently a mess. Stop the clock for injuries and refereeing decisions and add time on for stoppages like goals, substitutions, and time wasting.
This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 17:06 - Dec 3 with 2361 viewsymaohyd

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 16:34 - Dec 3 by acejack3065

Arsenhole were the worst ive ever seen for this particular piece of gamesmanship but it was devilishly ironic to see footballs so called "hard man" crying wolf over head injuries.

The rules definitely need clearing up because its currently a mess. Stop the clock for injuries and refereeing decisions and add time on for stoppages like goals, substitutions, and time wasting.

Indeed.

The poor old refs though. A ref doesn't stop play and a player has a serious injury, imagine the potential situation the ref could find himself in? Possibly a criminal case!

Which makes what the likes of Barton's behaviour despicable.

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 17:29 - Dec 3 with 2333 viewsacejack3065

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 17:06 - Dec 3 by ymaohyd

Indeed.

The poor old refs though. A ref doesn't stop play and a player has a serious injury, imagine the potential situation the ref could find himself in? Possibly a criminal case!

Which makes what the likes of Barton's behaviour despicable.

I do feel for the refs at times because there isn't an efficient way for them to deal with injuries in play at the minute. A referee should stop play when there is a risk of serious injury because part of his role is to ensure that the safety of players is maintained throughout the game.
This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 17:38 - Dec 3 with 2326 viewsno1jack8

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 17:29 - Dec 3 by acejack3065

I do feel for the refs at times because there isn't an efficient way for them to deal with injuries in play at the minute. A referee should stop play when there is a risk of serious injury because part of his role is to ensure that the safety of players is maintained throughout the game.

Remember nob head mike dean at spurs two years ago when loris punched and cleaned out michu for what should have been a pen at spurs away 1-0 down and he played on when everyone bar Defoe stopped and vorm saved.

Loads was made of it at the time by media yet dean didn't get punished. Still pisses me off.

Also last season Boxing Day last five mins Chelsea had 4 head injuries in quick succession every time we had some pressure. Worst case being terry and Cahill going down with no one near them.

Too many players take the piss holding their head just to kill momentum
This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 17:52 - Dec 3 with 2308 viewssherpajacob

Allow medical team to come on and treat player whilst play continues, simple.

Also due to potential seriousness of head injuries, referree should have power to insist player leaves the field permanently, that would help cut out the faking if a player thought he might have to be substituted.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 18:00 - Dec 3 with 2290 viewsJackfath

Barton was at it last night as was mentioned in this thread. However Dailew down arrowed my posts so he must disagree that Barton is a cheat. How odd.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/132082/joey-barton/#.VH9

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 18:07 - Dec 3 with 2274 viewsymaohyd

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 17:52 - Dec 3 by sherpajacob

Allow medical team to come on and treat player whilst play continues, simple.

Also due to potential seriousness of head injuries, referree should have power to insist player leaves the field permanently, that would help cut out the faking if a player thought he might have to be substituted.

Good point, although might that encourage players to front up to possible concussion resulting in possible significant injury?

Remember a great interview years ago with Paul O'connel (Lions, Ulster, Munster Captain) talking about his love of Arsenal but also talking about his complete lack of respect for footballers feigning injury.

He basically said how the two games are such polar opposites. On the one hand footballers, generally try and feign injury for a penalty, get a player sent off etc. Yet in rugby when he spoke about his brutal battles in particular for Munster down in the South of France, the French would be cynical, upper cuts at scrum time and looking to see if it had an impact and if you showed it did it would be game over. If on the other hand you stood up to it and gave a taste back they'd crumble...typical French!

I've commented on Planet Swans many times, my first sporting love will always be the Swans and I've followed them up and down the country and Europe (not our last adventure sadly).

As a game though give me rugby anyday.

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 18:11 - Dec 3 with 2268 viewsymaohyd

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 18:07 - Dec 3 by ymaohyd

Good point, although might that encourage players to front up to possible concussion resulting in possible significant injury?

Remember a great interview years ago with Paul O'connel (Lions, Ulster, Munster Captain) talking about his love of Arsenal but also talking about his complete lack of respect for footballers feigning injury.

He basically said how the two games are such polar opposites. On the one hand footballers, generally try and feign injury for a penalty, get a player sent off etc. Yet in rugby when he spoke about his brutal battles in particular for Munster down in the South of France, the French would be cynical, upper cuts at scrum time and looking to see if it had an impact and if you showed it did it would be game over. If on the other hand you stood up to it and gave a taste back they'd crumble...typical French!

I've commented on Planet Swans many times, my first sporting love will always be the Swans and I've followed them up and down the country and Europe (not our last adventure sadly).

Oops meant to say Lions, IRELAND captain etc not Ulster.

I'm sure you 'Egg' hating folk wouldn't have noticed though!

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 18:56 - Dec 3 with 2197 viewsdailew

Yet to see any footballers using fake blood to feign injuries.

Leave that to those wonderfully honest egg-chasers.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 19:05 - Dec 3 with 2182 viewskarnataka

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 18:56 - Dec 3 by dailew

I'm sure Barton would have done if he'd thought of it, he's that type. And as for someone saying him feigning a head injury makes him the lowest of the low, well, he was already there anyway if you ask me.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2014 20:46]
This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 19:11 - Dec 3 with 2174 viewsdailew

That's my experience in playing rugby and football as well.

Far more cheating goes on in rugby but is unseen.

Thanks for confirming this.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 19:30 - Dec 3 with 2142 viewstomdickharry

Head injury or apparent head injury must both initially be treated on pitch in the same way I.E. - Down goes the player clutching his head in agony,ref stops the game and without exception calls on the trainer/physio/doctor who gives the ref.the appropriate advice in relation to the injury, whatever that advice is the player is removed from the field of play for a minimum period of ten minutes.Bingo, problem of cheating solved.
This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 19:55 - Dec 3 with 2118 viewsNOTRAC

The problem of cheating is solved, but the genuine player gets handicapped because of the cheats.To suffer say a bloody nose and have to stay off the pitch for ten minutes seems very harsh.
The real answer is to retrospectively punish cheaters.
If TV replays prove cheating(for penalties, to get opposition players booked or sent off,feigning injuries etc,) then they should be banned .
Same sort of idea as in rugby where players are cited.Could be done by the opposing team or one of the officials.
Something needs to be done as cheating is spoiling the game.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 22:54 - Dec 3 with 2042 viewsjack247

The bigger issue than the time wasting, which is in itself very annoying, is that he did it when losing possession in midfield forcing the ref to blow up when we were on a dangerous looking attack.

It is the first time I have seen it, but it will be everywhere soon if not stamped out very quickly. Two extremes, either let play continue unless it it is near the ''injured' player, other players can put the ball out if they think he is genuinely hurt. Or people who go down with head injuries must signal to the ref that they are ok (i.e. Bang in the face, so holding their face, but raising an arm to show there is no serious damage), or there should be enforced substitutions for their own safety. Either one would stop fake head injuries instantly.
This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 23:19 - Dec 3 with 2019 viewsymaohyd

This stopping the game for a head injury rule on 18:56 - Dec 3 by dailew

So you are saying rugby players take dives, feign being injured more than footballers?

Fair do's that's the biggest load of bull shi* I've ever read on here, and I've spouted off some crap in my time.

Footballers are cheating bastar ds. In many ways I don't blame them as the game allows them to do it. If I was a professional footballer I'd take a dive no problem to get a pen.

I would never feign injury though to get someone sent off.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024