Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month 20:05 - Feb 16 with 18068 viewsDarran

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2955853/Swansea-receive-invest
[Post edited 16 Feb 2015 20:06]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:08 - Feb 18 with 2650 viewsmonmouth

This is a bit speculative just to bounce around again really, but I'm becoming increasingly persuaded by FOAJPs comment about the future simply being impossible to maintain and therefore getting rich now for our board is imperative, and getting out soon will maybe not hurt reputations as much as future failure. After all, according to that article further down the board, in 2013 we spent 73% of our revenues on wages (Stoke were up to 90%) and maintenance, never mind advancement will become increasingly difficult on a budget.

What I can't see is how anyone, based on those sort of wage percentages (players are not going to get less greedy, especially if they are in a successful team) can possibly make money out of it. Not even with a scorched earth policy. It can only be increasing interest based loans and hoping that some future numpty will buy it off you without really getting the economics (the Tan strategy if you like, or the venkys, or the Fulham, or the Bolton). I just struggle to see the upside for any 'investor'. We are not Man Utd that can service a loan and maintain position with our cash flows.

I might well be being really thick (that's happening more and more), but I just really don't get the economics of paying, say,£60m to gain control of such a venture, never mind £30m without control, if the majority of the income basically HAS to go on wages in perpetuity to maintain the income stream. So, why on earth would anyone come in in future and pay even more?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:25 - Feb 18 with 2620 viewsNookiejack

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:08 - Feb 18 by monmouth

This is a bit speculative just to bounce around again really, but I'm becoming increasingly persuaded by FOAJPs comment about the future simply being impossible to maintain and therefore getting rich now for our board is imperative, and getting out soon will maybe not hurt reputations as much as future failure. After all, according to that article further down the board, in 2013 we spent 73% of our revenues on wages (Stoke were up to 90%) and maintenance, never mind advancement will become increasingly difficult on a budget.

What I can't see is how anyone, based on those sort of wage percentages (players are not going to get less greedy, especially if they are in a successful team) can possibly make money out of it. Not even with a scorched earth policy. It can only be increasing interest based loans and hoping that some future numpty will buy it off you without really getting the economics (the Tan strategy if you like, or the venkys, or the Fulham, or the Bolton). I just struggle to see the upside for any 'investor'. We are not Man Utd that can service a loan and maintain position with our cash flows.

I might well be being really thick (that's happening more and more), but I just really don't get the economics of paying, say,£60m to gain control of such a venture, never mind £30m without control, if the majority of the income basically HAS to go on wages in perpetuity to maintain the income stream. So, why on earth would anyone come in in future and pay even more?

Take a look at attached weblog:-

http://www.theswanseaway.co.uk/2015/02/the-worrying-past-of-swanseas-potential.h

Moores seemed to have a strategy with the Padres of downgrading the players - so had lowest payroll in Baseball.

Then from following articles talk of him banking $200m Padres TV deal money.

http://sidespin.kinja.com/the-padres-suck-heres-why-472930403

http://www.gaslampball.com/2012/7/2/3132164/john-moores-wants-the-200-million-fr

Very worrying for me and really don't know why we are getting involved with these people.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:31 - Feb 18 with 2605 viewslondonlisa2001

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:25 - Feb 18 by Nookiejack

http://www.theswanseaway.co.uk/2015/02/the-worrying-past-of-swanseas-potential.h

Moores seemed to have a strategy with the Padres of downgrading the players - so had lowest payroll in Baseball.

http://www.gaslampball.com/2012/7/2/3132164/john-moores-wants-the-200-million-fr

Very worrying for me and really don't know why we are getting involved with these people.

as a slightly tongue in cheek aside, whilst I see no problem with him downgrading the payroll impact of Gomis, I can only hope that he doesn't attempt to downgrade his ability in front of goal - Vasquez perhaps :-)
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:35 - Feb 18 with 2599 viewsA_Fans_Dad

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:31 - Feb 18 by londonlisa2001

as a slightly tongue in cheek aside, whilst I see no problem with him downgrading the payroll impact of Gomis, I can only hope that he doesn't attempt to downgrade his ability in front of goal - Vasquez perhaps :-)

Sorry I don't see much difference between those 2 players other than their wage bill.

Let's face it there is no "investment" for Swansea City FC, just them buying shares.
That will be a very sad day indeed.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:43 - Feb 18 with 2587 viewslondonlisa2001

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:35 - Feb 18 by A_Fans_Dad

Sorry I don't see much difference between those 2 players other than their wage bill.

Let's face it there is no "investment" for Swansea City FC, just them buying shares.
That will be a very sad day indeed.

possibly I was being too nice on Gomis - you will have gathered I wasn't attempting to be ...

and indeed on your second point.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:48 - Feb 18 with 2576 viewsjackonicko

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:25 - Feb 18 by Nookiejack

Those links do only tell one side of the story.

As with all sporting clubs, supporters can take the opposite extremes of views on the same issue and people. The links below are certainly one point of view. Others see JJM as a relatively sound custodian of the Padres whilst he was in control. He brought some of their most successful periods in their history and has a reputation for being a relatively philanthropic custodian of the club.

Whilst those views you link to are perfectly valid - there are also plenty of alternate views out there.

You only have to look at this place for the wildly different views on Monk, Laudrup, Jenkins and the Board as a comparison!

As with all things, I suspect the answer is somewhere in the middle.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:00 - Feb 18 with 2559 viewsA_Fans_Dad

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:43 - Feb 18 by londonlisa2001

possibly I was being too nice on Gomis - you will have gathered I wasn't attempting to be ...

and indeed on your second point.

Actually, I was being a bit unkind to Vasquez, he couldn't score for us to save his life, but for Getafe he has scored 6 this season.
He was another one who couldn't cope with the Prem.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:01 - Feb 18 with 2559 viewsPrivate_Partz

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:48 - Feb 18 by jackonicko

As with all sporting clubs, supporters can take the opposite extremes of views on the same issue and people. The links below are certainly one point of view. Others see JJM as a relatively sound custodian of the Padres whilst he was in control. He brought some of their most successful periods in their history and has a reputation for being a relatively philanthropic custodian of the club.

Whilst those views you link to are perfectly valid - there are also plenty of alternate views out there.

You only have to look at this place for the wildly different views on Monk, Laudrup, Jenkins and the Board as a comparison!

Have you got any links to the alternative (positive) views? The ones above certainly do not inspire any confidence whatsoever.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Login to get fewer ads

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:25 - Feb 18 with 2527 viewsNookiejack

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 18:48 - Feb 18 by jackonicko

You are very right and fair Jackonicko to provide a balanced view.

What I don't buy is any 'philanthropic' argument - which I expect our non-Trust Board members/Americans to put up forward and post up on here - over the next few weeks - ahead of the takeover - by their supporters.

You can see it now - Moores sitting in San Diego - watching his thoroughbreds training and he says - it suddenly came upon me - I should undertake philanthropy in Wales,in Swansea. I should spend my billion on taking Swansea City to the Champions League Final and win it. (The voices didn't tell me about FFP though).

Sadly some of our fans will believe it.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:27 - Feb 18 with 2522 viewsjackonicko

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:01 - Feb 18 by Private_Partz

Have you got any links to the alternative (positive) views? The ones above certainly do not inspire any confidence whatsoever.

Not everything I have is on the internet - some is from subscription sources - but this one was written by a MLB.com reporter when JJM left the Padres.

http://m.padres.mlb.com/news/article/36813722/

DENVER -- Through all the ups and downs of 18 years of Padres ownership, John Moores retained his composure. On Thursday, as the team passed hands to Ron Fowler and the younger members of the O'Malley family, he couldn't any longer.
Moores walked out of the room minutes after the league's owners voted unanimously to make the transfer and headed to the airport with his head up and his eyes straight ahead.

"I had blinders on," Moores told MLB.com. "I didn't want anybody to think I was upset or anything."

But upset he was. These were his mixed emotions: relief that his sale of the team over a more than three-year period was at an end, but remorse that at 68, he's moving on without baseball in his life.

To be sure, the Padres haven't officially transferred to new ownership. That won't happen for at least another 10-14 days, when the $800 million transaction closes. But Moores spent what he considered to be his final hours as majority owner having breakfast with members of the new ownership group and chatting with Selig in an empty room for 20 minutes prior to the meeting.

The Commissioner and Moores both have a soft spot for each other as this era in Padres history comes winding toward closure.

Moores spoke glowingly about his relationship with Selig.

"Our conversation was terrific," Moores said. "We had our ups and downs, but we obviously agreed more than we disagreed. On this last transaction, he did the best thing for me, my kids and San Diego. So what the heck, I'm grateful."

Ditto the Commissioner.

"I saw him this morning and I got very emotional. I understand that," Selig said. "John did a lot of wonderful things for baseball. He was very helpful for me, during a time when things weren't frankly as great as they are right now. I know it's the right thing for him to do. Believe me, I like John Moores a lot. He did a lot for this sport. A lot."

Moores bought 80 percent of the Padres for $80 million in the wake of the strike that ended the 1994 season and postseason, and then delayed the start of the 1995 season. Moores helped commission the now famous "Blue Ribbon" panel report that delineated the financial and competitive challenges for smaller-market teams. In 2002, he helped author the debt-service rule, the mainstay which now restricts clubs from borrowing money to pay down operational debt.

In San Diego, Moores fought a nearly five-year battle through the courts that delayed the funding, construction and opening of Petco Park until 2004. Under his watch, the Padres won the National League West in 1996, 1998, 2005 and 2006. In 2007, they lost a play-in 163rd game to the Rockies at Coors Field on the last pitch. And in 2010, they missed the playoffs on the final day of the regular season.

Of course, in 1998, the Padres went to the World Series for only the second time in club history and were swept by the Yankees. The fact that they never won a World Series under his watch is no cause for disappointment, he said.

"That '98 team was so special," Moores said. "I still don't know how they lose a game, but they obviously did. No, I don't have any regrets about on-field performance. I think we did pretty well. A couple of years ago, we were within a game of getting into the postseason against the Giants, who won it all. We probably should have had more success. Right now, we're in a [tough spot]. But it's baseball. It looks like the club is getting better. I predict that with my leaving, they're going to go on a winning streak."

Off the field, Moores donated $30 million to the San Diego State athletic program to construct numerous state-of-the-art facilities. Separately, he built Tony Gwynn Stadium, where the Aztecs baseball team plays under the coaching tutelage of the legendary Hall of Famer and career Padre. There's a cancer center on the campus of UC San Diego Medical Center that he funded that bears his family name.

Moores leaves the new Padres ownership with one of the most picturesque baseball parks in the country and a 20-year, $1.2 billion television contract. No wonder he had mixed emotions about his departure.

Asked to sum up the whole thing, Moores said, choking back tears: "It was an out-of-body experience. It was more emotional than I thought it would be. I was on the phone [with former Padre Phil Nevin] afterward and I couldn't keep my voice from cracking. It's been 18 years. All I keep thinking about at this point is baseball. It's just weird. But it's time to move forward."

And that's what Moores quickly did. In the moments after his departure, Selig peeked out of the meeting room looking for him. But he was long gone, from the premises and Major League Baseball, though he won't soon be forgotten.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:30 - Feb 18 with 2515 viewsJackanapes

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:27 - Feb 18 by jackonicko

Not everything I have is on the internet - some is from subscription sources - but this one was written by a MLB.com reporter when JJM left the Padres.

DENVER -- Through all the ups and downs of 18 years of Padres ownership, John Moores retained his composure. On Thursday, as the team passed hands to Ron Fowler and the younger members of the O'Malley family, he couldn't any longer.
Moores walked out of the room minutes after the league's owners voted unanimously to make the transfer and headed to the airport with his head up and his eyes straight ahead.

"I had blinders on," Moores told MLB.com. "I didn't want anybody to think I was upset or anything."

But upset he was. These were his mixed emotions: relief that his sale of the team over a more than three-year period was at an end, but remorse that at 68, he's moving on without baseball in his life.

To be sure, the Padres haven't officially transferred to new ownership. That won't happen for at least another 10-14 days, when the $800 million transaction closes. But Moores spent what he considered to be his final hours as majority owner having breakfast with members of the new ownership group and chatting with Selig in an empty room for 20 minutes prior to the meeting.

The Commissioner and Moores both have a soft spot for each other as this era in Padres history comes winding toward closure.

"Our conversation was terrific," Moores said. "We had our ups and downs, but we obviously agreed more than we disagreed. On this last transaction, he did the best thing for me, my kids and San Diego. So what the heck, I'm grateful."

Ditto the Commissioner.

"I saw him this morning and I got very emotional. I understand that," Selig said. "John did a lot of wonderful things for baseball. He was very helpful for me, during a time when things weren't frankly as great as they are right now. I know it's the right thing for him to do. Believe me, I like John Moores a lot. He did a lot for this sport. A lot."

Moores bought 80 percent of the Padres for $80 million in the wake of the strike that ended the 1994 season and postseason, and then delayed the start of the 1995 season. Moores helped commission the now famous "Blue Ribbon" panel report that delineated the financial and competitive challenges for smaller-market teams. In 2002, he helped author the debt-service rule, the mainstay which now restricts clubs from borrowing money to pay down operational debt.

In San Diego, Moores fought a nearly five-year battle through the courts that delayed the funding, construction and opening of Petco Park until 2004. Under his watch, the Padres won the National League West in 1996, 1998, 2005 and 2006. In 2007, they lost a play-in 163rd game to the Rockies at Coors Field on the last pitch. And in 2010, they missed the playoffs on the final day of the regular season.

Of course, in 1998, the Padres went to the World Series for only the second time in club history and were swept by the Yankees. The fact that they never won a World Series under his watch is no cause for disappointment, he said.

"That '98 team was so special," Moores said. "I still don't know how they lose a game, but they obviously did. No, I don't have any regrets about on-field performance. I think we did pretty well. A couple of years ago, we were within a game of getting into the postseason against the Giants, who won it all. We probably should have had more success. Right now, we're in a [tough spot]. But it's baseball. It looks like the club is getting better. I predict that with my leaving, they're going to go on a winning streak."

Off the field, Moores donated $30 million to the San Diego State athletic program to construct numerous state-of-the-art facilities. Separately, he built Tony Gwynn Stadium, where the Aztecs baseball team plays under the coaching tutelage of the legendary Hall of Famer and career Padre. There's a cancer center on the campus of UC San Diego Medical Center that he funded that bears his family name.

Moores leaves the new Padres ownership with one of the most picturesque baseball parks in the country and a 20-year, $1.2 billion television contract. No wonder he had mixed emotions about his departure.

Asked to sum up the whole thing, Moores said, choking back tears: "It was an out-of-body experience. It was more emotional than I thought it would be. I was on the phone [with former Padre Phil Nevin] afterward and I couldn't keep my voice from cracking. It's been 18 years. All I keep thinking about at this point is baseball. It's just weird. But it's time to move forward."

And that's what Moores quickly did. In the moments after his departure, Selig peeked out of the meeting room looking for him. But he was long gone, from the premises and Major League Baseball, though he won't soon be forgotten.

I havent seen anything in this article about asset stripping. It cant be accurate.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:33 - Feb 18 with 2502 viewsjackonicko

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:25 - Feb 18 by Nookiejack

You are very right and fair Jackonicko to provide a balanced view.

What I don't buy is any 'philanthropic' argument - which I expect our non-Trust Board members/Americans to put up forward and post up on here - over the next few weeks - ahead of the takeover - by their supporters.

You can see it now - Moores sitting in San Diego - watching his thoroughbreds training and he says - it suddenly came upon me - I should undertake philanthropy in Wales,in Swansea. I should spend my billion on taking Swansea City to the Champions League Final and win it. (The voices didn't tell me about FFP though).

Sadly some of our fans will believe it.

Most of his thoroughbreds are in Ireland, not San Diego

The philanthropic piece as it relates to sport is referenced in a paragraph of the article I quoted in the post above.

There are various other charitable areas which he supports heavily, including youth education - partly due to family history. I'm sure Skippy would approve.

I'm not saying there aren't some advantages to the support of charity, rather than pure philanthropy. I'm not that naive. I'm also not saying which side of the story on the Padres I believe. I'm just saying there are different views out there to the links originally posted.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:42 - Feb 18 with 2483 viewslondonlisa2001

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:33 - Feb 18 by jackonicko

Most of his thoroughbreds are in Ireland, not San Diego

The philanthropic piece as it relates to sport is referenced in a paragraph of the article I quoted in the post above.

There are various other charitable areas which he supports heavily, including youth education - partly due to family history. I'm sure Skippy would approve.

I'm not saying there aren't some advantages to the support of charity, rather than pure philanthropy. I'm not that naive. I'm also not saying which side of the story on the Padres I believe. I'm just saying there are different views out there to the links originally posted.

one of the criticisms I have avoided is the identity of the buyers. I don't think there are billionaires out there who haven't been involved in at least some stuff that doesn't look good.

My dislike is over the selling to anyone unconnected rather than who it is.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:49 - Feb 18 with 2461 viewssixpenses

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:30 - Feb 18 by Jackanapes

I havent seen anything in this article about asset stripping. It cant be accurate.

Big Swans fans, no intention of making wads of wonga from the club at all then.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:55 - Feb 18 with 2444 viewsjackonicko

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:49 - Feb 18 by sixpenses

Big Swans fans, no intention of making wads of wonga from the club at all then.

We may be the swans, but not everything is black or white.
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:58 - Feb 18 with 2435 viewsStarsky

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:55 - Feb 18 by jackonicko

Very profound, if I may say so.

It's just the internet, init.

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 20:00 - Feb 18 with 2434 viewsmonmouth

They must be big fans of our current shareholders too, wanting to give them £30m quid and all. Very philanthropic indeed, they're all short of a few bob I suppose.

Oh well, it's all hot air anyway. No one's going to stop this if they agree a deal. Jenkins is right I suppose, nothing lasts forever....the obvious attempts to hoodwink and treat everyone like morons and the jack to a king public masturbatory project airbrushing out many that helped get them this cash still gets under my skin though.

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 20:00 - Feb 18 with 2432 viewsmonmouth

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:55 - Feb 18 by jackonicko

Orange?

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 20:18 - Feb 18 with 2396 viewssixpenses

I think we may find it pretty much is in this case

The route may vary but the destination remains constant

death taxes and money men wanting to turn a large profit on an "investment".

Although our scarves may not be black and white in the future it is true
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 22:36 - Feb 18 with 2336 viewsPrivate_Partz

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 19:27 - Feb 18 by jackonicko

Ditto the Commissioner.

Many thanks Jackonicko. It certainly gives another viewpoint. I hope football will replace baseball as the love of his life. Well we can all hope I guess however unlikely it might seem.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 08:24 - Feb 19 with 2271 viewsmonmouth

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 22:36 - Feb 18 by Private_Partz

Many thanks Jackonicko. It certainly gives another viewpoint. I hope football will replace baseball as the love of his life. Well we can all hope I guess however unlikely it might seem.

He's an American multi millionaire. The absolute overriding dominant obsessive love of his life is money and will be until he pops his clogs. It's in the culture (note I'm not saying it's right or wrong, good or bad, as I've obsessed over financial security most of my adult life). I simply can't see this leopard changing his spots, and that means I simply can't see how it's good for the club.

If he proves me wrong over the next 30 years I'll happily sing God Bless America at my 85th birthday party, should I still be vertical.

Expect a massive PR offensive though aimed at hearts and minds and some schmaltzy stuff. Hey, maybe even a tv show.......remember the carcrash that was "Being: Liverpool FC"? Maybe we'll have "Being: Just Like Any Other Club FC."

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 11:50 - Feb 19 with 2215 viewstrampie

I hope that the Swans stay in local ownership [trust or locals or a combo of both] if it does go into foreign hands I would rather it not go to owners from an uber capitalist country where money is sometimes their God and they will do anything in some cases to make a quick buck or do anything to prevent losses.

If owners have local ties, friends and family in the area then their legacy towards the people and place they are from means they are unlikely to put money before their local team.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2015 11:51]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 15:43 - Feb 19 with 2159 viewsazjack

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 11:50 - Feb 19 by trampie

I hope that the Swans stay in local ownership [trust or locals or a combo of both] if it does go into foreign hands I would rather it not go to owners from an uber capitalist country where money is sometimes their God and they will do anything in some cases to make a quick buck or do anything to prevent losses.

If owners have local ties, friends and family in the area then their legacy towards the people and place they are from means they are unlikely to put money before their local team.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2015 11:51]

Silly - but honest - question?

Why are so many British clubs taken over by foreign owners?
The figures being bandied around (30 mill even as an "initial investment") are peanuts in the grand scheme of fings. That's pocket change for any self respecting billionaire.

Surely there must be some local Welsh businessmen - or consortiums - who can see an opportunity here.

Am I missing something? Is a it a tax thing?

Why so few local interests?
John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 17:45 - Feb 19 with 2128 viewstrampie

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 15:43 - Feb 19 by azjack

Silly - but honest - question?

Why are so many British clubs taken over by foreign owners?
The figures being bandied around (30 mill even as an "initial investment") are peanuts in the grand scheme of fings. That's pocket change for any self respecting billionaire.

Surely there must be some local Welsh businessmen - or consortiums - who can see an opportunity here.

Am I missing something? Is a it a tax thing?

Why so few local interests?

Most top flight football clubs lose money [money tends to end up in players pockets], it is a status thing for rich billionaires from around the world to own a Premier League football club, they can only own so many sports cars and yachts and the game in this country has history and tradition going back well into the 1800s, football is the most important game in the world bar none and this country is the place to own a football club if you can afford it.

We have seen home town benefactors before apparently pump huge sums into their teams, Wolves - Wigan - Boro -Derby and Blackburn all spring to mind, I think those people were local rich benefactors not investors.

America is about the only country in the entire world that does not worship football, a rich Arab might well have been educated over here and respect is everything, a rich Russian might understand football but an American ?, do they expect to make money out of football ???

From an investors point of view Swansea are about the most successful club financially in the world that is playing in the top league in the world, in theory they could cream off the smallish profit the Swans make as things stand, they could try and make more money through buying/expanding the ground and getting greater gates, they could try and sell more shirts [there is scope there I believe] and they could try and get more and bigger sponsorship deals in place.

From an investors point of view there is a downside as well which could be results on the pitch, if we are in danger of relegation would an investor then asset strip, sell our best players and stop investing in infrastructure.

It would be great to have a local mega rich benefactor [not investor] that would just pour millions in and be prepared to lose all that money, i'm generalising when talking about Arabs, Russians and Yanks, you could have good or bad investors from anywhere including our own patch but culturally i'm concerned about getting Americans on board, i'm concerned that the bottom line on their balance sheet will be their be all and end all which might not be the same for other investors/backers.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 21:08 - Feb 19 with 2092 viewsazjack

John Jay Moores and Charles Noell investment as early as next month on 17:45 - Feb 19 by trampie

Most top flight football clubs lose money [money tends to end up in players pockets], it is a status thing for rich billionaires from around the world to own a Premier League football club, they can only own so many sports cars and yachts and the game in this country has history and tradition going back well into the 1800s, football is the most important game in the world bar none and this country is the place to own a football club if you can afford it.

We have seen home town benefactors before apparently pump huge sums into their teams, Wolves - Wigan - Boro -Derby and Blackburn all spring to mind, I think those people were local rich benefactors not investors.

America is about the only country in the entire world that does not worship football, a rich Arab might well have been educated over here and respect is everything, a rich Russian might understand football but an American ?, do they expect to make money out of football ???

From an investors point of view Swansea are about the most successful club financially in the world that is playing in the top league in the world, in theory they could cream off the smallish profit the Swans make as things stand, they could try and make more money through buying/expanding the ground and getting greater gates, they could try and sell more shirts [there is scope there I believe] and they could try and get more and bigger sponsorship deals in place.

From an investors point of view there is a downside as well which could be results on the pitch, if we are in danger of relegation would an investor then asset strip, sell our best players and stop investing in infrastructure.

It would be great to have a local mega rich benefactor [not investor] that would just pour millions in and be prepared to lose all that money, i'm generalising when talking about Arabs, Russians and Yanks, you could have good or bad investors from anywhere including our own patch but culturally i'm concerned about getting Americans on board, i'm concerned that the bottom line on their balance sheet will be their be all and end all which might not be the same for other investors/backers.

Totally agreed.

There is clearly an opportunity here for a savvy investor to get in on the ground floor of an expanding global market. Risks there always will be - that is the nature of any investment - yet those risks can be mitigated.

The obvious question follows - why then are these the only bods (irrespective of nationality) seriously interested in "investing" in Swansea City FC?

Incidentally, most football clubs don't "show" a profit but nevertheless they can still be profitable vehicles for the owners.

To make an analogy:
The regular Joe investor would be pleased to see an annual ROI of anything above 5%. His money is always at risk though, he is usually ill informed and subject to loss whenever the market declines. The fund manager and associates however are paid handsomely with humungous bonuses irrespective of market direction. Why, because effectively they "own" the fund (control the capital)and bear little financial risk whereas the regular Joe investor does bear the risk and is simply padding the nest of someone else.

Substitute "owner" for "fund manager and associates", "position in league table" for "market direction" and "supporter" for "regular Joe".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024