Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland 17:58 - Mar 10 with 22412 viewsRAFC1907

As Hilly says its something that needs to happen, the amount of times at home games when its 0-0 or even when we go 1-0 up our players must be thinking we have the worst support ever.

Away following nobody can complain, great support in numbers and very vocal.

The football club is the only thing in this town that gives Rochdale any positive headlines, so surely we must do all we can to ensure the good times around Spotland remain, its as though its 1995 and were sitting 5th from bottom.

With the results the management and players deliver our support should be constantly heard over the course of 90+ minutes.

Are we still the only club in the football pyramid to stop fans bringing in flags/large banners etc? Creating a positive atmosphere around the place can only be beneficial to everyone who enters the ground on a Saturday and a much more enjoyable experience.

I have mates who would rather watch the likes of City/United on TV as they reckon the atmosphere sounds better than being at a live game at Rochdale.

Bastien Hery hit the nail on the head also.

Poll: Bottomley...

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:35 - Mar 11 with 3035 viewsTalkingSutty

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 14:29 - Mar 11 by ChaffRAFC

This has been done to death and I can still only see one potential solution to it all but there's no way it would please everyone and some would be dead against it.

When we play away from home, we are excellent and in great voice usually. This is because we have people grouped together from both the Sandy Lane and the Pearl Street all as one voice.

The only way to recreate that at home would be to put all the fans from the Pearl Street and the Sandy Lane in the Willbutts Lane stand. Plenty of room for everyone and we could make a lot more noise. The acoustics in there are much better as well. To do this though, you'd have to shut the Sandy Lane completely, and in turn lower the price of the Willbutts to compensate. Put all the Pearl Streeters in the Willbutts as well and give the Pearl Street to away fans. This creates another issue, that being Studds Bar. Surely you can't open it up to away fans during the game, thus making it redundant which the club will never go for even though, due to mismanagement, it's a complete waste of space.

I'd go for it personally but many wouldn't, not least the club. Too many obstacles.

You want your vocal /hostile supporters behind one of the goals, putting them in the biggest stand on the side of the pitch just defeats the object. Its the TDS and any other set of fans would have been all over it. You dont put your singing section on the side of the pitch.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:36 - Mar 11 with 3033 viewsisitme

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:17 - Mar 11 by ChaffRAFC

Bloody hell fire Tazzy, you're hard pushed to get any songs out of the Pearl Street! I sit in there and didn't expect a lot of noise being made when I moved over but apart from the cup games and last week, it's pretty much a library. At least there's some variation in the Sandy but you wouldn't realise that.

Please join in and help start some different songs. We do get - Up the Dale, Daleeee and the odd Keith Hill's Barmy army. I would like more player related songs, but not many others join in with the singing of them.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:47 - Mar 11 with 2989 viewsTVOS1907

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 16:38 - Mar 11 by tazzydjr

It'd mean them having to revise new songs into their current one's such as other than than the Keith Hills....Barmy Army & Who are we...Blue Army what goes on and on away from home isn't always perfect atmosphere no offense but at Ashton Gate it were sending the front row to sleep

Was it?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:48 - Mar 11 with 2984 viewsTVOS1907

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 16:52 - Mar 11 by tazzydjr

I were referring to our Sandy lane Singers instead of same two chants repeated if was ever to come into the Pearl it'd mean we'd have to send each of them Pearl Street song list

What would be on the other side of the stamp?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:51 - Mar 11 with 2972 viewsD_Alien

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:48 - Mar 11 by TVOS1907

What would be on the other side of the stamp?

An envelope of noise?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:59 - Mar 11 with 2944 views1992dale

Ive never bought the idea that sound doesnt travel from the sandy, more just a lack of numbers singing. An accrington/macclesfield style half seating terraced stand would be perfect in the tds.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 20:07 - Mar 11 with 2918 viewsfunkkk

In an ideal world give the sandy to away fans and put some terracing in Pearl St. The club would lose far too much money to even consider this though.

New ground anyone?
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 20:15 - Mar 11 with 2890 viewsKenBoon

The romantic in me says singing areas must be behind the goals, but then the romantic in others probably say the best way to watch Footy is on a terrace that smells. There's probs room at the front of the Pearl Street for a mini Sandy (would need to give the Disabled supporters a better view), but we all know that any standers would head straight to the top of the stand.
Login to get fewer ads

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 20:29 - Mar 11 with 2852 viewsChaffRAFC

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:35 - Mar 11 by TalkingSutty

You want your vocal /hostile supporters behind one of the goals, putting them in the biggest stand on the side of the pitch just defeats the object. Its the TDS and any other set of fans would have been all over it. You dont put your singing section on the side of the pitch.

But given the family stand is in the TDS, is there room for everyone from the Sandy to come in the TDS with the way it is now? People would struggle to get season tickets next to their family and friends for example wouldn't they? Not sure I agree with the behind the goal argument. Two stands merging into one should go in the biggest stand surely? It's got miles better acoustics and the first thing the players see when they walk out would be the combined vocal home support. I can see the argument for being behind the goal but not sure the positives from that outweigh the positives from moving the the Wilbutts. Also, doesn't matter to us but for televised games, it doesn't half p!$$ me off that the away section is next to the commentary or the reporter for Soccer Saturday and all you can here is away fans.

Obviously, the other obstacle to my idea would be that the TDS isn't big enough to hold an away support the size of a Sheffield United or Preston etc.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:20 - Mar 11 with 2789 viewsTalkingSutty

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 20:29 - Mar 11 by ChaffRAFC

But given the family stand is in the TDS, is there room for everyone from the Sandy to come in the TDS with the way it is now? People would struggle to get season tickets next to their family and friends for example wouldn't they? Not sure I agree with the behind the goal argument. Two stands merging into one should go in the biggest stand surely? It's got miles better acoustics and the first thing the players see when they walk out would be the combined vocal home support. I can see the argument for being behind the goal but not sure the positives from that outweigh the positives from moving the the Wilbutts. Also, doesn't matter to us but for televised games, it doesn't half p!$$ me off that the away section is next to the commentary or the reporter for Soccer Saturday and all you can here is away fans.

Obviously, the other obstacle to my idea would be that the TDS isn't big enough to hold an away support the size of a Sheffield United or Preston etc.

Home advantage normally kicks in when the home team kicks towards the goal with its vocal support such as the Kop, Stretford End, Holte End etc. I can't really think of a ground which would choose to place it's singing section on the side of the ground, especially one that struggles to attract a decent crowd. I agree with your point regarding the away section being next to the commentary point.

If we gave a section of the Willbutts stand to home supporters I think that would make the atmosphere worse. Scattering 2,500 supporters between 4 stands instead of three would be very diluting. I would imagine there are probably 50- 100 fans in the Sandy who like to belt out a tune ( tops) they could easily be accommodated in the TDS or they could all decide to use the Sandy, it needs co - ordinating.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:31 - Mar 11 with 2771 viewsalex_roch39

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:20 - Mar 11 by TalkingSutty

Home advantage normally kicks in when the home team kicks towards the goal with its vocal support such as the Kop, Stretford End, Holte End etc. I can't really think of a ground which would choose to place it's singing section on the side of the ground, especially one that struggles to attract a decent crowd. I agree with your point regarding the away section being next to the commentary point.

If we gave a section of the Willbutts stand to home supporters I think that would make the atmosphere worse. Scattering 2,500 supporters between 4 stands instead of three would be very diluting. I would imagine there are probably 50- 100 fans in the Sandy who like to belt out a tune ( tops) they could easily be accommodated in the TDS or they could all decide to use the Sandy, it needs co - ordinating.

I don't see why we can't put away fans in a section of the Main Stand or Pearl St when they only bring 100-300.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:31 - Mar 11 with 2771 views442Dale

From the past, the Longside at Burnley and the Kippax at City.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:41 - Mar 11 with 2753 viewsTalkingSutty

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:31 - Mar 11 by 442Dale

From the past, the Longside at Burnley and the Kippax at City.

There are examples, but I wonder how many fans would class themselves as the singing element? Even two hundred would rattle around in the Willbutts, they need to be incorporated into one end of the ground I reckon and if that's the Sandy Lane end then so be it. I don't think it will ever happen because there doesn't seem to be the will.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 21:43]
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:42 - Mar 11 with 2750 viewsdingdangblue

Let the Sandy singers in the Pearl Street when we are attacking that end - then let them transfer back to the Sandy for the 2nd half - be like going back to the 70's (so I've heard).

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 08:11 - Mar 12 with 2619 viewsdalenumber2

It's possible to generate a decent amount of noise with only 50-100 singing - so we could leave both stands as they are and just make more of an effort if we want to improve the atmosphere. I'm sure it would lead to more enjoyment for everyone. People aren't moaning when they are singing.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:00 - Mar 12 with 2552 viewsRosun

No drums but the next best thing ... banging on the iron work at the back of the stand. Or near the end of the game banging on the advertising hoardings at the front of the stand. Or both.

Equip every vocal fan with their own advertising hoarding. It will boost advertising revenues and noise. They can also be used as protection from inclement weather should the need arise. And probably useful for sledging.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:16 - Mar 12 with 2524 viewsdingdangblue

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 08:11 - Mar 12 by dalenumber2

It's possible to generate a decent amount of noise with only 50-100 singing - so we could leave both stands as they are and just make more of an effort if we want to improve the atmosphere. I'm sure it would lead to more enjoyment for everyone. People aren't moaning when they are singing.

I'm not sure that 50-100 people singing does make a lot of noise though? We've seen a lot of noise this season when you've got the whole away stand who ALL seem to be singing together. Little pockets of singers dotted all around the home ends doesn't really create a lot of noise. Don't get me wrong - on occasions when everyone joins in for the big games we've had down the years we will create noise but generally we are a quiet bunch.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2015 10:50]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:36 - Mar 12 with 2508 viewsNafelad

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:00 - Mar 12 by Rosun

No drums but the next best thing ... banging on the iron work at the back of the stand. Or near the end of the game banging on the advertising hoardings at the front of the stand. Or both.

Equip every vocal fan with their own advertising hoarding. It will boost advertising revenues and noise. They can also be used as protection from inclement weather should the need arise. And probably useful for sledging.

"sledging"? - you mean making comments to unsettle the position, like cricketers do?

Topcat

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:50 - Mar 12 with 2491 viewsRosun

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:36 - Mar 12 by Nafelad

"sledging"? - you mean making comments to unsettle the position, like cricketers do?

Maybe. They could also be used as a pop up table. Put a couple of beer kegs at either end and, Voila, somewhere to put your bovril.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 11:35 - Mar 12 with 2449 viewsscooby

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 16:49 - Mar 11 by jokerthief

You want to see real atmosphere at a football game....I was @ one of these matches.

Key to all of these? Decent EASY songs for everyone to join in with. None of this constant manc shite that we have to endure...
[Post edited 12 Mar 2015 11:39]
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 12:19 - Mar 12 with 2392 viewswindowsbug

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 11:35 - Mar 12 by scooby

Key to all of these? Decent EASY songs for everyone to join in with. None of this constant manc shite that we have to endure...
[Post edited 12 Mar 2015 11:39]

Americans....
Easily led, simple beings.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 12:48 - Mar 12 with 2346 viewsD_Alien

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 12:19 - Mar 12 by windowsbug

Americans....

Well said, windowsbug

And that's the key to the whole thing.

Atmosphere isn't something that can be manufactured. It's generated spontaneously, through a combination of opposition, importance of the game, size of the crowd and general mood around the club.

Anything else is just hot air, literally.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 13:43 - Mar 12 with 2289 viewsDorsetDale

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 12:19 - Mar 12 by windowsbug

Americans....

Indeed, we're football fans not sheep.

That said, some of that music would be great for the players to walk/run out to.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 14:37 - Mar 12 with 2229 viewsbuckbyname

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 16:38 - Mar 11 by tazzydjr

It'd mean them having to revise new songs into their current one's such as other than than the Keith Hills....Barmy Army & Who are we...Blue Army what goes on and on away from home isn't always perfect atmosphere no offense but at Ashton Gate it were sending the front row to sleep

I would suggest that Tazzy writes some poetry in his usual bastardised English to entertain the crowd at half time
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 14:47 - Mar 12 with 2217 viewstazzydjr

Next home match we should have both Sandy and The Mighty Pearl Stand's Sing Off against each other should promote something like this #SandyvPearl #StandSingOff2015 #WhollBeLoudest #RAFC #TeamRochdale it's something what seen at Blackburn Rovers there own fans singing at each other it makes a great atmosphere

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024