Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Desert Island Discs 12:45 - May 12 with 16648 viewsLeadbelly

To help pass the non football season let's try compiling 8 tracks for our desert island sojourn. The idea (thanks Wessex) is we post one a week, hopefully with a You Tube link so others can see what all the fuss is about.

Here is my selection for week one, a cheery little ditty from Joy Division..."Dead Souls"

Hope the link works!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Desert Island Discs on 22:42 - Jul 4 with 1289 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 21:15 - Jul 4 by wessex_exile

Did you get a name-check in the middle of that Whales? Either the link wasn't to the whole song, or they need to finish it - because I was really hoping after ordering as much random carp as possible, they just walked away with some sort of plaintive "sorry mate, forgot me wallet"?

Leadbelly does get a mention.

The video isn't for the whole song...well spotted. I shall find a complete version in due course.

Desert Island Discs on 20:02 - Jul 6 with 1257 viewsBarsidepete

Desert Island Discs on 22:42 - Jul 4 by Leadbelly

The video isn't for the whole song...well spotted. I shall find a complete version in due course.

This one, Lead?

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Desert Island Discs on 20:27 - Jul 6 with 1243 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 20:02 - Jul 6 by Barsidepete

This one, Lead?

That appears to be Joy Division so not what I was looking for. Good though,being my first choice and all.

Desert Island Discs on 22:28 - Jul 6 with 1233 viewsFruitbat

This was considered the week I chose The Skids instead. Closing track from a genuinely brilliant album.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2015 22:29]
Desert Island Discs on 16:35 - Jul 7 with 1214 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 22:42 - Jul 4 by Leadbelly

Peel session to boot.

Final part of the song owes a lot to Leadbelly...the talented one!

Desert Island Discs on 20:35 - Jul 7 with 1202 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 22:28 - Jul 6 by Fruitbat

This was considered the week I chose The Skids instead. Closing track from a genuinely brilliant album.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2015 22:29]

Ruts DC at the Arts Centre on 23 October. Think Trevor and I will be there.

Desert Island Discs on 07:34 - Jul 8 with 1194 viewsFruitbat

And so to my actual selection for week 8. Generally regarded as the first "goth" record and a classic.
Desert Island Discs on 21:01 - Jul 21 with 1167 viewswessex_exile

You know what, with shitloads going on elsewhere, I never got around to my Week 8 selection, so here it is.

I've always loved the Strawbs, and have seen them many times at various venues (including Cambridge once), and this is one that I can play, play and play continually without ever once tiring of it - plus, whoever goes for a full orchestral choir as backing vocals deserves maximum respect.

On face value, the song is littered with references to Grace Darling, 22 year old daughter of a 19th century lighthouse keeper, who together rowed out in the teeth of a North Sea storm to a stricken ship and rescued 9 sailors from certain death, long before the lifeboat could get anywhere near the ship. She became a national heroine overnight, though the fame rested uneasy with her, and she sadly succumbed to TB at the very young age of just 26.

However, the song is really about celebrating those in your life, who when you need them the most, are there to save you. We all need these people at one point or another, so please sit back and enjoy Grace Darling:

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024