Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Desert Island Discs 12:45 - May 12 with 16645 viewsLeadbelly

To help pass the non football season let's try compiling 8 tracks for our desert island sojourn. The idea (thanks Wessex) is we post one a week, hopefully with a You Tube link so others can see what all the fuss is about.

Here is my selection for week one, a cheery little ditty from Joy Division..."Dead Souls"

Hope the link works!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Desert Island Discs on 15:09 - May 30 with 1693 viewsFruitbat

Desert Island Discs on 11:06 - May 30 by pwrightsknees

Let me say that I think LB’s idea was brilliant. And what a super mix of tastes has been thrown up! I’ve enjoyed everyone’s contribution and opened my eyes to some that I had never heard of. I do struggle a little with some of your “codes” and “shorthand”. What does “4 AD” mean?

For my part, I’m trying to have a different performer on each offering. You may not appreciate 8 tracks solely by Jerry Lee Lewis or Fats Domino.

So, on to offering number four. No Rock ‘n’ Roll enthusiast like me could ever leave out a track by Chuck Berry. So many to choose from, but I’ve picked Johnny B Goode, not least because the barmaid at The Marquis would put this on the juke-box during my lunch-time visits. (Are they still called juke boxes?).

The story behind Johnny B Goode is that Chuck Berry’s frequent piano accompanist, Johnnie Johnson, was always getting into scrapes and trouble and spent may a night in a police cell. So whenever they parted, Chuck would always say to him “Johnnie. Be Good”. So the song title emerged. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a decent live version on Youtube, as Chuck does tend to be e bit self-indulgent, so here’s the record. Ironically, Johnnie Johnson isn’t playing piano on the recording. Instead it was one of Chess Records studio musicians.

Johnnie died about 10 years ago, and is not to be confused with Johnny Johnson and The Bandwagon — “Blame It On The Pony Express” etc.

Hail, Hail, Rock ‘n’ Roll!

You can't not love this! I've got a Chuck Berry 10" EP somewhere: this, Nadine and a couple of others.

4AD are a record company, now part of Beggars Banquet, prominent in the early 80s Indie scene and with a reputation for putting out some fairly avant garde (Dead Can Dance, anyone?) stuff and some very distinctive sleeve art.
[Post edited 30 May 2015 16:28]
Desert Island Discs on 17:13 - May 30 with 1672 viewsBarsidepete

Desert Island Discs on 15:09 - May 30 by Fruitbat

You can't not love this! I've got a Chuck Berry 10" EP somewhere: this, Nadine and a couple of others.

4AD are a record company, now part of Beggars Banquet, prominent in the early 80s Indie scene and with a reputation for putting out some fairly avant garde (Dead Can Dance, anyone?) stuff and some very distinctive sleeve art.
[Post edited 30 May 2015 16:28]

That's Brilliant! Another 4AD group. I used to buy anything and everything from them.

Attended the 1990 "Aion" tour at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco. People were literally holding $200 cash up hoping for tickets to a tour that effectively sold out in minutes. And that would have been a small fortune for me and my gal who were generally broke students, but it never crossed our minds to sell. I think the tickets cost us $25 each.

Happily, I can say I saw Dead Can Dance live. 27 November 1990. Capacity just under 1000. Googled that

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Desert Island Discs on 12:37 - Jun 1 with 1631 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 20:22 - May 29 by Barsidepete

You mean this one, Lead?

Please behold the original and unrivalled.

I'm seeing them yet again in Bury St Edmunds a week on Friday...and London in October. Possibly more gigs when further "fixtures" are announced.

Desert Island Discs on 13:18 - Jun 1 with 1628 viewsBluenWightExile

Is it week 4 yet ??

If so:

"Morning Dew" TIM ROSE

Pinault-noir

Desert Island Discs on 13:39 - Jun 1 with 1624 viewsLeadbelly

Week 4 already and I shall check out Morning Dew and others when I'm at home and have sound.

Here is my contribution for the week. I remain a big fan of the band and could have picked several of their tracks but this one shades it, mainly because I did. Nuff said!

Desert Island Discs on 16:50 - Jun 1 with 1614 viewsBarsidepete

Desert Island Discs on 13:39 - Jun 1 by Leadbelly

Week 4 already and I shall check out Morning Dew and others when I'm at home and have sound.

Here is my contribution for the week. I remain a big fan of the band and could have picked several of their tracks but this one shades it, mainly because I did. Nuff said!

Amazing. Just sublime. Let me add Butthole Surfers. Back when there attended a concert near the White House. No offense to the White House, I was part of the "masses" .. I do love America and England, let's have that as context..

It was at the concert, Rock against Reagan, Rock against racism. And president Reagan was in hindsight a very conservative liberally-minded prez. Who knew.

Some of us seem to love music that could easily be 2015. B-hole Surfers - "Pepper"

A Texas band. *edit, first link didn't work.

*do we have to limit it to one per week each? I hope not.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2015 16:57]

Desert Island Discs on 13:43 - Jun 2 with 1576 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 16:50 - Jun 1 by Barsidepete

Amazing. Just sublime. Let me add Butthole Surfers. Back when there attended a concert near the White House. No offense to the White House, I was part of the "masses" .. I do love America and England, let's have that as context..

It was at the concert, Rock against Reagan, Rock against racism. And president Reagan was in hindsight a very conservative liberally-minded prez. Who knew.

Some of us seem to love music that could easily be 2015. B-hole Surfers - "Pepper"

A Texas band. *edit, first link didn't work.

*do we have to limit it to one per week each? I hope not.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2015 16:57]

BP,

One per week for your Desert Island collection but no problem with links to other stuff.

Desert Island Discs on 15:09 - Jun 3 with 1560 viewsBarsidepete

Desert Island Discs on 13:43 - Jun 2 by Leadbelly

BP,

One per week for your Desert Island collection but no problem with links to other stuff.

I guess when stranded, I will dream of having more than 8. I'm trying to reply in context. This is a great thread. Enjoying it like a terrific tv show. Fun stuff.

Login to get fewer ads

Desert Island Discs on 17:13 - Jun 3 with 1550 viewsFruitbat

I promised 21st century for week 4 so I give you possibly my favourite band to emerge in the last 15 years, Interpol. This from their latest album released last year.

Front man Paul Banks was born in Colchester apparently.
Desert Island Discs on 20:20 - Jun 3 with 1537 viewswessex_exile

Week 4, and a song that's not quite 'modern', but probably about as close as I may get - depends, who knows?

Nothing to me defines an away day football trip as much as this one (particularly when flushed with the arrogance and hope that only August can provide), but it really has to be blasting out at full volume in my headphones as the train is pulling into some far-flung station, with a generous quantity of liquid refreshment already on board.

I'm linking the full 9m+ version, so it may not be everyone's cup of tea to suffer to the end, but that's the point of trance (which I see as the logical extension of what the Grateful Dead et al were trying to achieve with acid rock). I loved the film too, but that has nothing to do with the choice.

Gentlemen, I give you Born Slippy by Underworld.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Desert Island Discs on 17:20 - Jun 5 with 1501 viewsBluenWightExile

Splendid choice!

Pinault-noir

Desert Island Discs on 09:36 - Jun 6 with 1484 viewspwrightsknees

When Mrs PWK and I got married, many people said that we only did so in order to share our record collections.

Both of us were, and still are, huge fans of one of Rock ‘N’ Roll’s great pioneers, The Crickets. In about 1973, I had to go up to Hull to do an audit of our office there. My host invited me to go to a Bailey’s Night Club there in the evening, but where, to my amazement, The Crickets were performing. Sadly, of course, Buddy Holly had died 14 years earlier in 1959, so In his absence, the vocals were undertaken by Jerry Allison. Jerry, himself, had recently been drumming for Elvis. Unbelievably, and despite having sung the song many hundreds of times, Jerry forgot the words to “Oh Boy!” half way through, and had to start again.

So, from Mrs. PWK’s half of our record collection, here is offering number five, one of our great favourites, The Crickets, including Buddy Holly, with “Oh Boy!”

Desert Island Discs on 11:54 - Jun 6 with 1479 viewsLeadbelly

Excellent choice. Buddy Holly was my dad's absolute favourite and I grew up listening to not much else. Every time I hear one of his tracks it always reminds me of the old man.

Desert Island Discs on 15:48 - Jun 7 with 1442 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 13:18 - Jun 1 by BluenWightExile

Is it week 4 yet ??

If so:

"Morning Dew" TIM ROSE

Found a couple of scratchy recordings and thought it was OK. Then found a live version on "Songs for Heroes"... Absolutely love it. I'll do a link tomorrow as I can't work out how on my tablet. Me and technology!

Desert Island Discs on 17:32 - Jun 8 with 1426 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 13:05 - Jun 9 with 1408 viewsLeadbelly

Week 5 - "Too much, too young" by The Specials...live at Colchester Institute!

I probably listen to ska & reggae more than any other music genres these days. I always liked The Specials (and The Beat, The Selecter amongst others) and that led me to find out about the music that inspired these bands, which led in turn to my discovering the huge back catalogues of Trojan and Blue Beat Records. Still much to uncover.

The Specials are still a good live band and many of their lyrics are as relevant today as when they were written over 35 years ago.

Desert Island Discs on 14:20 - Jun 9 with 1400 viewspwrightsknees

Desert Island Discs on 13:05 - Jun 9 by Leadbelly

I probably listen to ska & reggae more than any other music genres these days. I always liked The Specials (and The Beat, The Selecter amongst others) and that led me to find out about the music that inspired these bands, which led in turn to my discovering the huge back catalogues of Trojan and Blue Beat Records. Still much to uncover.

The Specials are still a good live band and many of their lyrics are as relevant today as when they were written over 35 years ago.

Good shout, LB. I've always enjoyed those genres, especially the 2-tone stuff from the late 70's-early 80's. And I haven't heard the phrase "blue beat" for many a year. Takes me back to Prince Buster and "Madness" in the early 60's.
Desert Island Discs on 20:39 - Jun 9 with 1390 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 17:32 - Jun 8 by Leadbelly

It's times like these when the internet is such a wonderful thing. I saw the title of your selection BnW, and immediately thought "funny, that's the title of one of my favourite Grateful Dead tracks too". Then I listened to the link, and lo and behold it was the Grateful Dead track, but an absolutely brilliant modern cover of it - quite sublime, and a lovely touch that he dedicated it to Jerry Garcia. So, my curiosity took me down a path which completely blew me away to discover the Dead's version was in fact a cover of Tim Rose, which he'd covered from a Canadian song-writer called Bonnie Dobson! I know nothing of her work, nor indeed Tim Rose to be honest, but I will be looking for more of both from now.

Fantastic choice BnW!

Not to detract from the original, and whilst I think about this weeks selection, here's the Dead's version from their seminal "Europe '72" live album (and if we could take just one album to the desert island, this would be it for me!).

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 09:28 - Jun 11 with 1365 viewsBluenWightExile

HahaWessex!
Yes you have researched well. Tim Rose left us long ago and his came first. I always enjoyed the Grateful Dead version though. Thank you, I am glad it was a good choice.

This thread is almost as challenging as each picture I do and interestingly although music is my sole partner in the Studio I regularly silence it in order to concentrate and what I am doing!

I doubt my last 3 selections will connect quite so well as "Strangely strange...." & "Morning dew" but if it's week 5 yet [?].................

I humbly submit "July Morning" by Uriah Heep.

Right.................back to work!

Pinault-noir

Desert Island Discs on 22:15 - Jun 11 with 1348 viewsFruitbat

Desert Island Discs on 09:28 - Jun 11 by BluenWightExile

HahaWessex!
Yes you have researched well. Tim Rose left us long ago and his came first. I always enjoyed the Grateful Dead version though. Thank you, I am glad it was a good choice.

This thread is almost as challenging as each picture I do and interestingly although music is my sole partner in the Studio I regularly silence it in order to concentrate and what I am doing!

I doubt my last 3 selections will connect quite so well as "Strangely strange...." & "Morning dew" but if it's week 5 yet [?].................

I humbly submit "July Morning" by Uriah Heep.

Right.................back to work!

Found it
Desert Island Discs on 16:48 - Jun 12 with 1334 viewsFruitbat

Having a list of songs as long as your arm and running out of slots to fill means I've dithered over my week 5 offering and already changed my mind a dozen times. So before I change it again......

Described recently in Vive Le Rock magazine as the most underrated band to come out of the punk scene, but always one of my favourites, I give you The Skids and the title track to their debut album Scared To Dance.
Desert Island Discs on 19:21 - Jun 12 with 1325 viewswessex_exile

Like Fruitbat, as we enter the second half of the U'sual Desert Island discs I'm running out of slots and still far too much to choose from (like the Skids track btw!). Week 5 is a band I was introduced to really not that long ago (early noughties), but absolutely love - I'm a bit of a sucker for the Celtic Rock genre it has to be said, and Wolfstone fit that bill perfectly. If I ever do a bucket list, seeing these chaps live will definitely be on it.

If orchestrated fiddle and bagpipe diddly-dee music isn't your thing, go make a cup of tea for the next 4 minutes or so, otherwise turn this up to 11.

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 20:41 - Jun 12 with 1321 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 13:05 - Jun 9 by Leadbelly

Great choice, but I would say that, I was at that concert!

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 00:51 - Jun 13 with 1308 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 16:48 - Jun 12 by Fruitbat

Having a list of songs as long as your arm and running out of slots to fill means I've dithered over my week 5 offering and already changed my mind a dozen times. So before I change it again......

Described recently in Vive Le Rock magazine as the most underrated band to come out of the punk scene, but always one of my favourites, I give you The Skids and the title track to their debut album Scared To Dance.

Top band. Such a shame that Stuart Adamson is no longer with us.

Desert Island Discs on 00:53 - Jun 13 with 1307 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 20:41 - Jun 12 by wessex_exile

Great choice, but I would say that, I was at that concert!

Wish I'd been there. I do have a bootleg CD though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024