Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A level results 23:50 - Aug 13 with 4571 viewsMoonshineSteve

Dagenham Junior number three just got into Sheffield Hallam University. Phew.

Three down, two to go.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

A level results on 00:04 - Aug 14 with 3541 viewsflynnbo

Congratulations!
A level results on 00:06 - Aug 14 with 3539 viewsPunteR

You deserve a medal mate just for having 5 kids!

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

A level results on 00:10 - Aug 14 with 3508 viewsrrrspricey

Nice one daggers.

My youngest just got 4 As in his AS exams after 10 straight A* gcses. Worked his bollocks off mind, fcuk know where he gets his brains and drive!

Don't wish to pi$$ on his (or anyone else who's done well) parade but I do think it's easier to get top marks now. For example, in history, the grade boundaries were set with only 66 out of 120 (55%) required for an A which should be max of a C in my book.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 0:10]
A level results on 00:51 - Aug 14 with 3435 viewsFDC

Congratulations to Dagenham Junior. Great uni and fantastic city!
A level results on 04:42 - Aug 14 with 3390 viewsBklynRanger

Congratulations Junior and Senior Dagenhams.

A Levels eh? I went through clearing and ended up at Roehampton (or The University of Surrey if you counted the affiliation, which I certainly did). I'd never been south of Chester at the time. Halcyon days they were, halcyon days. Made me the man I am today.
A level results on 05:11 - Aug 14 with 3383 viewsFDC

A level results on 04:42 - Aug 14 by BklynRanger

A Levels eh? I went through clearing and ended up at Roehampton (or The University of Surrey if you counted the affiliation, which I certainly did). I'd never been south of Chester at the time. Halcyon days they were, halcyon days. Made me the man I am today.

I genuinely didn't know where Sheffield was when I went to uni there. I remember watching the weather report the first night I was there, and it dawning on me that I didn't know where I was on the weather map. It then dawned on me that Sheffield was located precisely under the grey rain cloud... I swear it rained non-stop for the first two months I was there...

Made me the man I am today too... but that shouldn't count against it, it really is a great city in which to be a student.
A level results on 06:18 - Aug 14 with 3355 viewsSuffolk

My daughter achieved 2 X A* and an A at A level. Very proud of her. The first in my family to go to university.
A level results on 08:39 - Aug 14 with 3265 viewsCamberleyR

A level results on 00:10 - Aug 14 by rrrspricey

Nice one daggers.

My youngest just got 4 As in his AS exams after 10 straight A* gcses. Worked his bollocks off mind, fcuk know where he gets his brains and drive!

Don't wish to pi$$ on his (or anyone else who's done well) parade but I do think it's easier to get top marks now. For example, in history, the grade boundaries were set with only 66 out of 120 (55%) required for an A which should be max of a C in my book.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 0:10]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33861673

The above link proves it was tougher in the past to get top marks in A levels. From 1 in 10 getting an A grade in the early 80s to 1 in 4 by the end of the 90s.

I can bear that out as in my year of taking A levels at sixth form in 1983, I can remember only a very few people getting 3 As (or 4 if they took something like double maths) and they were the ones who ended up at Oxbridge.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

A level results on 08:59 - Aug 14 with 3242 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well done, parents.

Don't have kids myself but I have nieces, nephews and others I care about going through the process these years. Results came out in Ireland on Wednesday and I swear when I wake up each year the morning after results/celebrations/commiserations night and no-one I know has taken their own life I'm relieved.

The pressure is enormous, ridiculous and hugely damaging, and the reactions, magnified by drink, are too often out of control.

As adults, I honestly think that our job is not just to help them achieve good results in life but to help them be happy in themselves regardless of results.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A level results on 09:24 - Aug 14 with 3214 viewsFearless

Congrats Daggers

My youngest just got in to Guildford (university of Surrey?) to study paramedic science after doing a 1 year access course at Kingston.

As others have said, I don't know where they get their drive and ambition.

(Mrs F just got a 1st in a degree she's done part time over the past 4 years)

I, on the other hand, am between jobs after having recently taken redundancy and have zero qualifications
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 9:25]
A level results on 10:57 - Aug 14 with 3160 viewsMoonshineSteve

Thanks to all for your kind words, and congrats to those of you also celebrating.

Looks like I'll have somewhere to stay for Sheffield Wednesday away midweek in February.

Seriously, any good tips about Sheffield would be appreciated. I've only been to Hillsborough and Bramall Lane. And a couple of pubs.

A level results on 11:48 - Aug 14 with 3115 viewsMancR

Well done Dagenham junior. My first(of 2 not 5!) Is also off to Sheffield Hallam as well:) brilliant place to study.
She is going to do criminology and I've suggested her dissertation should be on t Harry Redcrapp as there are plenty of crimes against QPR and football that need exposing.
A level results on 11:50 - Aug 14 with 3112 viewsMoonshineSteve

Don't frighten her with dissertations yet! A year of partying followed by two years of work first.

A level results on 12:09 - Aug 14 with 3069 viewsmarky67

congratulations steve mate.
A level results on 12:12 - Aug 14 with 3060 viewsMoonshineSteve

Cheers Marky. All well with you?

A level results on 12:15 - Aug 14 with 3052 viewsYorkRanger

Sheffield is a great city and Hallam a fine, underrated uni. My eldest graduated a year ago and loved it. I also studied there in later years and can recommend fully Thursday nights at the Leadmill...
A level results on 13:04 - Aug 14 with 3003 viewsSimonJames

A level results on 04:42 - Aug 14 by BklynRanger

Ah, Roehampton. For a Kingston Poly boys like me and my flatmates, the discovery of Roehampton, with it's 16:1 girl/boy ratio was totally awesome...

100% of people who drink water will die.

A level results on 13:35 - Aug 14 with 2976 viewsmarky67

A level results on 12:12 - Aug 14 by MoonshineSteve

Cheers Marky. All well with you?

yep doing well thanks, will have to have a catch up soon.
A level results on 02:53 - Aug 15 with 2863 viewsMoonshineSteve

Yeah, alright, one last bask in Conor's achievement then I'll leave it alone.

MancR - good idea.

A level results on 04:49 - Aug 15 with 2841 viewsBklynRanger

A level results on 13:04 - Aug 14 by SimonJames

Ah, Roehampton. For a Kingston Poly boys like me and my flatmates, the discovery of Roehampton, with it's 16:1 girl/boy ratio was totally awesome...

That was certainly not the ratio at Digby Stuart College, Simon. I'd have impregnated scores of slags if that was the case don't you know. Maybe the teaching college next door - 'Froebel' ? Kingston always seemed like an exotic trip to the seaside in those days.
A level results on 07:25 - Aug 15 with 2816 viewsganjR

Well done! Congratulations to junior mate.
A level results on 07:55 - Aug 15 with 2795 viewsbatmanhoop

vital that youngsters get qualifications now. With the open door policy of the main parties, non-skilled jobs will be impossible to get
A level results on 08:03 - Aug 15 with 2792 viewsCFW

Congratulations to all who can now look forward to University life.

At this point please spare a thought for the parents - having children at University does not come cheap. I have twin boys who were both at University and whilst that was some time ago when the fees were £3k per year. Not sure but I think it is closer to £9k now?

At that time I was able to afford to pay for them so they came out after four years with no student loan debt but if they were at Uni now that would be a step too far for me. One thing that always got me angry was one of my sons went to University in Scotland (because of his golf) and we had to pay the usual fees etc - all the Scottish kids went free?!!! Funny that I thought we were all British!!!!!

Dig deep Daggers, Dig deep!!!
A level results on 09:48 - Aug 15 with 2739 viewsCroydonCaptJack

A level results on 08:03 - Aug 15 by CFW

Congratulations to all who can now look forward to University life.

At this point please spare a thought for the parents - having children at University does not come cheap. I have twin boys who were both at University and whilst that was some time ago when the fees were £3k per year. Not sure but I think it is closer to £9k now?

At that time I was able to afford to pay for them so they came out after four years with no student loan debt but if they were at Uni now that would be a step too far for me. One thing that always got me angry was one of my sons went to University in Scotland (because of his golf) and we had to pay the usual fees etc - all the Scottish kids went free?!!! Funny that I thought we were all British!!!!!

Dig deep Daggers, Dig deep!!!

My oldest got ABB which was not as good as expected but they were maths, physics and biology which are tough subjects. I think the step up from GCSEs to A levels is quite significant these days.
Anyway, most importantly he has got in to Southampton to study physics so we are delighted. Not near any away grounds to visit there though 😠
A level results on 09:59 - Aug 15 with 2728 viewsNorfolk

A level results on 09:48 - Aug 15 by CroydonCaptJack

My oldest got ABB which was not as good as expected but they were maths, physics and biology which are tough subjects. I think the step up from GCSEs to A levels is quite significant these days.
Anyway, most importantly he has got in to Southampton to study physics so we are delighted. Not near any away grounds to visit there though 😠

Our youngest has managed to get into Nottingham to study physics, which we are very proud of, lucky him, could be a good weekend up there in Jan as long as his mum doesn't come.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024