Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 13:40 - Dec 9 with 20612 viewsLohengrin

1955:
"The lasting bequest we give to our children is roots."
Goethe

2015:
"The Turcoman hath left his herd."
Lord Byron

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 10:58 - Dec 10 with 1401 viewstrampie

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 10:32 - Dec 10 by Lohengrin

I don't think human sacrifice in holly groves would prove all that popular in 2015, Tramp.

Offerings Lohengrin and not sacrifices in this day and age.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 10:59 - Dec 10 with 1408 viewsperchrockjack

bloodyhills

Of course it is but I just wished we hadn't constructed an Empire for a few to get mega rich.

We wouldn't have this multicultural issue now

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 11:11 - Dec 10 with 1396 viewsAquinas

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:00 - Dec 9 by CountyJim

No one forces you to send your kids to a faith school in fact there are people of no faith wanting their children to go to these schools and some are taken in my daughter went to a Catholic school her class had Hindu Muslim Protestant and children whos family had no faith just wanted the children to have a good education and learn right from wrong that's their words not mine

At the school my girlfriend teaches at, all pupils have to be baptised, christened etc and have a letter from the priest saying that they are regular churchgoers.

It doesn't sound very inclusive to me.
A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 11:56 - Dec 10 with 1370 viewsBloodyhills

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 10:59 - Dec 10 by perchrockjack

bloodyhills

Of course it is but I just wished we hadn't constructed an Empire for a few to get mega rich.

We wouldn't have this multicultural issue now

Sadly, yes, there are all sorts of problems in the world causing misery. All problems need to be tackled with understanding and empathy.

Meanwhile, on a bit more of a narrow focus but a very important one, lets hope the club can arrest the slide and start to move ahead.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 12:19 - Dec 10 with 1359 viewsLohengrin

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 10:55 - Dec 10 by Bloodyhills

The history of the human race is one of migration, of ebb and flow. Go back far enough and we are all from the same place, Africa.

A lot of the problems in the world are caused by seeing other humans as very different from ourselves. If we see them as other it's easier to hate them bomb them etc.

Ultimately people want the same sort of things out of life, love, family security for them, a decent role in society and of course a great football club they can support! :)

Do you think the islamist problem can be solved by Europe being more accommodating to and understanding of their dogma? By seeing them as the same as ourselves, perhaps? Is your answer that we let them do exactly as they please for fear they may take offence. Don't antagonise them then they may, with a bit of luck, let us alone? Is that it?

This may come as a shock to your Liberal sensibilities but ISIS, al-Qaeda and the host of other masked maniacs don't see the world as you do. The peace and quiet certainty you value, they're coming for that. You'd best start to get your head around it.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 13:26 - Dec 10 with 1337 viewsLord_Bony

Lolz

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 13:28 - Dec 10 with 1331 viewsBloodyhills

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 12:19 - Dec 10 by Lohengrin

Do you think the islamist problem can be solved by Europe being more accommodating to and understanding of their dogma? By seeing them as the same as ourselves, perhaps? Is your answer that we let them do exactly as they please for fear they may take offence. Don't antagonise them then they may, with a bit of luck, let us alone? Is that it?

This may come as a shock to your Liberal sensibilities but ISIS, al-Qaeda and the host of other masked maniacs don't see the world as you do. The peace and quiet certainty you value, they're coming for that. You'd best start to get your head around it.

What would you do?

Also, in order to come up with a solution for a problem it's important to understand it first.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2015 13:32]

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:17 - Dec 10 with 1308 viewsLohengrin

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 13:28 - Dec 10 by Bloodyhills

What would you do?

Also, in order to come up with a solution for a problem it's important to understand it first.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2015 13:32]

Would you have been able to understand what motivated the Manson family? Could you have empathised with old Charlie and the girls, hoped to have reached out and found some common ground? The notion is obscene.

Login to get fewer ads

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:21 - Dec 10 with 1304 viewsBloodyhills

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:17 - Dec 10 by Lohengrin

Would you have been able to understand what motivated the Manson family? Could you have empathised with old Charlie and the girls, hoped to have reached out and found some common ground? The notion is obscene.

So are you saying the problems are caused by the acts of random nutters or not.

Be explicit! What do you think the problems are?

You think the notion of trying to understand what a problem is before you try to solve it is obscene?
[Post edited 10 Dec 2015 14:22]

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:25 - Dec 10 with 1299 viewsKerouac

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 19:40 - Dec 9 by Lord_Bony

Sorry but this is still a Christian country. Christianity is still taught as part of the school curriculum...it s up to kids when they leave to decide if it was all a load of bollox or not...thats just the way it is.

Its understandable therefore why other families from a different faith whatever it is would want their child educated with that faith as part of the curriculum. A very expensive option but again thats how it is..

Why does it HAVE to be that way?
Why should we still be labelled a "Christian" country when less than 5% of the population attend a church on any given Sunday?

This is the 21st century. The vast majority of the UK population do not practice religion anymore. Isn't it about time the institutions of this country caught up?

Starting with schools.
There is simply no excuse for religious schools. If anyone wants to bring their child up in their faith they can do it on their own time. In the home. At the temple. At events/clubs organised by the temple.

I wouldn't even allow Sunday schools or Madrassas as this is clearly a method to brainwash young people

State schools should teach a little about the World religions, what the followers of different faiths believe and the history of religious conflicts.

This issue really gets my goat.
Recently, at my son's primary school (which is not religious) some bible bashers have started a "Bible club" on a lunchtime.
The parents' opinions were not canvassed.
We received a text on a Sunday night that the club was voluntary (we are talking about 5 year olds) and that we "needed to inform a teacher if we did not want our child to attend".
The following morning I made it clear that my son was not to attend under any circumstances, some parents will not have had that opportunity of course.

It emerged a week or so later that the Bible club had started a week earlier than the initial text and that some children (whose parents were against their attendance subsequenty) had attended.
I know of one little girl who couldn't understand why she wasn't now allowed to attend "I want to, we only do colouring and singing".

How do you explain to a 6 year old that although it was fun we as parents are not fussed on perfect strangers teaching you to believe in a load of old cobblers once a week.

I asked questions about why this was allowed to happen and just got back the usual shit about a requirement to teach "collective worship" as well as an emphasis put on that attendance was not compulsory "it is the choice of the pupil"....which was entirely satisfactory.
I have asked a school governor to find out for me at the next meeting if I can hold an "Atheist Club" still no reply.

This shit has got to stop in schools.
Teachers teach the subjects. Everyone who wants to push their beliefs, faiths, ideologies etc. should be kicked the fukk out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:29 - Dec 10 with 1296 viewsperchrockjack

Amen to that.

Christian covers cathlolic whom conformists regard as wrong .

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:31 - Dec 10 with 1293 viewsKerouac

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:22 - Dec 9 by CountyJim

Yes but as I said in my other post you can skip assembly

but as you said in your post that isolates the individual whose parents don't want them brainwashed.
You haven't given one reason why that school couldn't have been just as good, taught you "right from wrong" alongside people from diverse backgrounds, without the religion.

The religion element is just not necessary anymore.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:36 - Dec 10 with 1287 viewsperchrockjack

Sorry, should have posted ..non conformist.

I recoil when I hear the phrase... Good Christian family.

Best charity workers are religion free, missionaries of the old Africa days the worst type of all.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:36 - Dec 10 with 1284 viewsLord_Bony

"An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge."

Proverb 18;15

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:38 - Dec 10 with 1277 viewsperchrockjack

So cull those with no intelligence.

Book of alma 4.4

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:39 - Dec 10 with 1276 viewsBloodyhills

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:25 - Dec 10 by Kerouac

Why does it HAVE to be that way?
Why should we still be labelled a "Christian" country when less than 5% of the population attend a church on any given Sunday?

This is the 21st century. The vast majority of the UK population do not practice religion anymore. Isn't it about time the institutions of this country caught up?

Starting with schools.
There is simply no excuse for religious schools. If anyone wants to bring their child up in their faith they can do it on their own time. In the home. At the temple. At events/clubs organised by the temple.

I wouldn't even allow Sunday schools or Madrassas as this is clearly a method to brainwash young people

State schools should teach a little about the World religions, what the followers of different faiths believe and the history of religious conflicts.

This issue really gets my goat.
Recently, at my son's primary school (which is not religious) some bible bashers have started a "Bible club" on a lunchtime.
The parents' opinions were not canvassed.
We received a text on a Sunday night that the club was voluntary (we are talking about 5 year olds) and that we "needed to inform a teacher if we did not want our child to attend".
The following morning I made it clear that my son was not to attend under any circumstances, some parents will not have had that opportunity of course.

It emerged a week or so later that the Bible club had started a week earlier than the initial text and that some children (whose parents were against their attendance subsequenty) had attended.
I know of one little girl who couldn't understand why she wasn't now allowed to attend "I want to, we only do colouring and singing".

How do you explain to a 6 year old that although it was fun we as parents are not fussed on perfect strangers teaching you to believe in a load of old cobblers once a week.

I asked questions about why this was allowed to happen and just got back the usual shit about a requirement to teach "collective worship" as well as an emphasis put on that attendance was not compulsory "it is the choice of the pupil"....which was entirely satisfactory.
I have asked a school governor to find out for me at the next meeting if I can hold an "Atheist Club" still no reply.

This shit has got to stop in schools.
Teachers teach the subjects. Everyone who wants to push their beliefs, faiths, ideologies etc. should be kicked the fukk out.

Agree with most of that. I think it's ok to teach religions as differing philosophies but not to teach them as models of behaviour that students should/must follow.

If parents want their children to follow a religion then they can teach them that at home.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2015 14:41]

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:40 - Dec 10 with 1269 viewsLord_Bony

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:38 - Dec 10 by perchrockjack

So cull those with no intelligence.

Book of alma 4.4

Yes I would agree with this.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:43 - Dec 10 with 1255 viewsperchrockjack

An excellent exchange.

By the way, hope you and yours have a good Christmas and only good things for you in new year.

Just threw this in as in a good mood. Been out to beach watching it rain over the Welsh hills.

So much to thank the gogs for

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:43 - Dec 10 with 1255 viewstrampie

Oh dear I see some are advocating the ending of British values. lol.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:44 - Dec 10 with 1253 viewsLohengrin

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:21 - Dec 10 by Bloodyhills

So are you saying the problems are caused by the acts of random nutters or not.

Be explicit! What do you think the problems are?

You think the notion of trying to understand what a problem is before you try to solve it is obscene?
[Post edited 10 Dec 2015 14:22]

They are too numerous to be written off as a few random nutters, though nutters they undoubtedly are. The problem is a desert religion interpreted as a death cult. What I find obscene is the notion that it can be viewed as a legitimate worldview to be negotiated with.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:45 - Dec 10 with 1244 viewsKerouac

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 21:50 - Dec 9 by Lord_Bony

Its true I m afraid...once we start watering down the Christian principles this country was built upon we create a void...other more aggressive religions will be only too happy to step in and fill that vacuum.

Why does it have to be a "void"?

How about we strengthen and defend our principles?
At the same time create legislation which discourages the promotion and growth of religion.

Spell out for future generations of UK citizens the dangers of religion.

If you exclude it from all public spheres and deprive the religious institutions of any public funds, oxygen and support....people might just start to see it for what it really is.
A weird cult.

I would also require inspections of various religious institutions, regulate it, ensure that they know we are watching them and will not tolerate illegal activity and the undermining of the law in this country without consequences.

Unfriendly to religions?
Yes.

If they believe in peace love and understanding they should be able to work with the new status quo and practice their religion peaceably and privately no?
If any religion starts to incite people to rally against this they would be asked to leave or face criminal charges.

In short, I am proposing that we control the various religions rather than allowing them to control us.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:49 - Dec 10 with 1226 viewsLord_Bony

"God rest ye Merry Gentlemen."

Peace and Goodwill to ALL Mankind.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:49 - Dec 10 with 1225 viewsLohengrin

"Everyone who wants to push their beliefs, faiths, ideologies etc. should be kicked the fukk out."

Kerouac, would that include the relentless promotion of a multiculturalist agenda by the NUT?

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:53 - Dec 10 with 1218 viewsLohengrin

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:45 - Dec 10 by Kerouac

At the same time create legislation which discourages the promotion and growth of religion.

If you exclude it from all public spheres and deprive the religious institutions of any public funds, oxygen and support....people might just start to see it for what it really is.
A weird cult.

I would also require inspections of various religious institutions, regulate it, ensure that they know we are watching them and will not tolerate illegal activity and the undermining of the law in this country without consequences.

Unfriendly to religions?
Yes.

If they believe in peace love and understanding they should be able to work with the new status quo and practice their religion peaceably and privately no?
If any religion starts to incite people to rally against this they would be asked to leave or face criminal charges.

In short, I am proposing that we control the various religions rather than allowing them to control us.

What are you doing? Rehearsing a speech for Comintern AGM?

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:59 - Dec 10 with 1204 viewstrampie

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 14:45 - Dec 10 by Kerouac

A weird cult.

Unfriendly to religions?
Yes.

The English have a state religion, a Monarchy, a Parliament, their history is all wrapped up between their religion and their state, take that away and their whole culture breaks down.

Now the Welsh were pagans back in the day and became an almost entirely non conformist country in later times, we know in Wales that alien religions can take over therefore if the Brit Nats religion intertwined with their state totally collapsed then there would be a vacuum and it might not be pretty who takes the reins.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024