Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Same old Rochdale 07:11 - Mar 2 with 10144 viewsdean7321

Winning against the big teams them losing against the smaller teams

Poll: best ever center back

Same old Rochdale on 07:52 - Mar 2 with 6697 viewsfitzochris

Shrewsbury are a bigger club than us, to be fair.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Same old Rochdale on 08:09 - Mar 2 with 6661 viewsD_Alien

In an odd kind of way - and with apologies to those of you who made the trek on a crap Tuesday night - there is something almost reassuringly familiar about our recent form.

Whilst Keith Hill has obviously transformed the context in which we're performing, we're doing enough to achieve L1 solidity and we're never going to win every game, are we? The reaction on here last night as the game ended was one of "ok, disappointed but let's just move on".

With games like the Sheff Utd encounter interspersed in between, it really is the Same Old Rochdale!

Edit: I also recall a 3-0 defeat at Shrewsbury under Hilly in the midst of an otherwise purple patch of form in L2. Everyone just shook their heads. There's a lot of head shaking going on right now!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2016 14:47]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Same old Rochdale on 08:27 - Mar 2 with 6608 viewsTalkingSutty

Same old Rochdale on 08:09 - Mar 2 by D_Alien

In an odd kind of way - and with apologies to those of you who made the trek on a crap Tuesday night - there is something almost reassuringly familiar about our recent form.

Whilst Keith Hill has obviously transformed the context in which we're performing, we're doing enough to achieve L1 solidity and we're never going to win every game, are we? The reaction on here last night as the game ended was one of "ok, disappointed but let's just move on".

With games like the Sheff Utd encounter interspersed in between, it really is the Same Old Rochdale!

Edit: I also recall a 3-0 defeat at Shrewsbury under Hilly in the midst of an otherwise purple patch of form in L2. Everyone just shook their heads. There's a lot of head shaking going on right now!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2016 14:47]

Players playing for contracts should ensure there's no taking the foot off the gas,lets see what happens. As a manager you want players who detest losing games,even the meaningless ones,if there is such a thing.
Same old Rochdale on 08:31 - Mar 2 with 6599 viewsJimmyRustler

This year has been the most unpredictable I've seen seen for a long time (in all the leagues) and anyone can honestly beat anyone.

In reality, the result against Sheff Utd was the turn up cause I had us down to lose at Shewsbury anyway. It's just the Dale way.
Same old Rochdale on 09:29 - Mar 2 with 6483 viewsfitzochris

I think we can get a bit caught up in the stature of the teams we lose to and the teams we beat. Let’s not lose sight of our own stature compared to most of the clubs we’re playing against.

Both Sheffield United and Shrewsbury are bigger clubs than us. Both have been struggling for form, too. We beat one and lost to the other. Hey ho.

At the risk of sounding like a Bury mong by talking crowd figures, the attendance last night was 4,221, of which just 177 were Dale fans. Shrewsbury supporters declared that attendance disappointing and I think I read it was their second-lowest gate of the season. Let’s not kid ourselves, we’d be delighted with that crowd on a Tuesday night with the vast majority being home supporters.

This is what we’re up against week in, week out at this level.

It doesn't excuse many of the faults on the pitch last night, whatever they were, but it does stress the fact that we’re not losing to ‘smaller’ teams than ourselves.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2016 9:36]

Same old Rochdale on 10:57 - Mar 2 with 6339 viewsJimmyRustler

Same old Rochdale on 09:29 - Mar 2 by fitzochris

I think we can get a bit caught up in the stature of the teams we lose to and the teams we beat. Let’s not lose sight of our own stature compared to most of the clubs we’re playing against.

Both Sheffield United and Shrewsbury are bigger clubs than us. Both have been struggling for form, too. We beat one and lost to the other. Hey ho.

At the risk of sounding like a Bury mong by talking crowd figures, the attendance last night was 4,221, of which just 177 were Dale fans. Shrewsbury supporters declared that attendance disappointing and I think I read it was their second-lowest gate of the season. Let’s not kid ourselves, we’d be delighted with that crowd on a Tuesday night with the vast majority being home supporters.

This is what we’re up against week in, week out at this level.

It doesn't excuse many of the faults on the pitch last night, whatever they were, but it does stress the fact that we’re not losing to ‘smaller’ teams than ourselves.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2016 9:36]

It's the clubs that are bigger than us and not the teams.

We are a better team than Shrewsbury and that means we should be getting something from the game (even though I knew we wouldn't for some reason).

Shrewsbury are hardly a giant of a club anyway. There's no point beating the attendance drum or turning it into a dick waving contest because in that case, we have a micropenis and the large majority of the clubs we're facing are Ron Jeremy in comparison.

We simply weren't competitive last night against a hungrier team and the lack of desire is the most disappointing thing but it's certainly not getting all billy big bollocks to be expecting to get a result against a poor team in poor form.
Same old Rochdale on 11:04 - Mar 2 with 6325 viewsdingdangblue

Same old Rochdale on 10:57 - Mar 2 by JimmyRustler

We are a better team than Shrewsbury and that means we should be getting something from the game (even though I knew we wouldn't for some reason).

Shrewsbury are hardly a giant of a club anyway. There's no point beating the attendance drum or turning it into a dick waving contest because in that case, we have a micropenis and the large majority of the clubs we're facing are Ron Jeremy in comparison.

We simply weren't competitive last night against a hungrier team and the lack of desire is the most disappointing thing but it's certainly not getting all billy big bollocks to be expecting to get a result against a poor team in poor form.

Lets hope we find some desire in the remainder of March - bury, Oldham and Wigan games coming up and if we don't compete in those we are still in trouble. 3 wins in 17 away is relegation stuff. Thank god for our home form.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2016 11:06]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Same old Rochdale on 11:23 - Mar 2 with 6267 viewsfitzochris

Same old Rochdale on 10:57 - Mar 2 by JimmyRustler

Interesting that you agree with all the points I made while seemingly wanting to disagree with them.

In short, my post was addressing the OP that suggested we’re losing to smaller clubs than ourselves. We’re not. I also pointed out that both Shrewsbury and Sheff U are in relative states of poor form and that we beat one and lost to the other. I also said the size of the club in question doesn't excuse what happened on the pitch last night (lack of desire, as you put it).

I get the point that if league placings were solely based on “dick waving”, we’d finish very near the bottom and that there would no point in competing. I’m not disputing that. Again, you play the team on the pitch, not the club it represents. I'm just pointing out that, in response to the OP, we're not losing to smaller clubs than ourselves.

Login to get fewer ads

Same old Rochdale on 11:24 - Mar 2 with 6268 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Same old Rochdale on 07:52 - Mar 2 by fitzochris

Shrewsbury are a bigger club than us, to be fair.

.......which Club is n't bigger than us though?

If you say we should be beating/matching this lot,you get the castigating comments on here saying we have no right to get a result against anyone.........give up.
Same old Rochdale on 11:52 - Mar 2 with 6208 viewsJimmyRustler

Same old Rochdale on 11:23 - Mar 2 by fitzochris

Interesting that you agree with all the points I made while seemingly wanting to disagree with them.

In short, my post was addressing the OP that suggested we’re losing to smaller clubs than ourselves. We’re not. I also pointed out that both Shrewsbury and Sheff U are in relative states of poor form and that we beat one and lost to the other. I also said the size of the club in question doesn't excuse what happened on the pitch last night (lack of desire, as you put it).

I get the point that if league placings were solely based on “dick waving”, we’d finish very near the bottom and that there would no point in competing. I’m not disputing that. Again, you play the team on the pitch, not the club it represents. I'm just pointing out that, in response to the OP, we're not losing to smaller clubs than ourselves.

The OP said smaller teams. There was no mention of Shrewsbury being smaller than ourselves. If we are to be competitive in this division, Shrewsbury are a team we should look to pick up points against. The fact that they get bigger attendances is irrelevant.
Same old Rochdale on 12:01 - Mar 2 with 6184 viewsfitzochris

Same old Rochdale on 11:24 - Mar 2 by Yorkshire_Dale

.......which Club is n't bigger than us though?

If you say we should be beating/matching this lot,you get the castigating comments on here saying we have no right to get a result against anyone.........give up.

"which Club is n't bigger than us though? "

That's my point. There aren't many. We have no right to beat anyone in this division, but we do. That alone is to our credit.

Don't get upset. I'm just making the point that it simply isn't the case that we "beat the bigger teams and lose to the smaller ones", as most teams are bigger than us.

That's all I'm saying.

Same old Rochdale on 12:21 - Mar 2 with 6119 viewsSuddenLad

Same old Rochdale on 12:01 - Mar 2 by fitzochris

"which Club is n't bigger than us though? "

That's my point. There aren't many. We have no right to beat anyone in this division, but we do. That alone is to our credit.

Don't get upset. I'm just making the point that it simply isn't the case that we "beat the bigger teams and lose to the smaller ones", as most teams are bigger than us.

That's all I'm saying.

I think we need to distinguish between 'big clubs' and clubs which are simply higher in the table. We've beaten Walsall, Burton and Sheffield United but have failed to beat Crewe and Shrewsbury.

This 'bigger' thing needs putting to bed. They are all League One clubs, regardless of status, income, crowds and history.

Keith Hill's stated objective is to make Dale a stable and established League One club and one that deserves to be here, rather than one that people think of as an interloper.

We have definitely progressed as a club since coming back to League One and that is the primary objective. There will always be hiccoughs along the way.

Onwards and upwards.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Same old Rochdale on 12:35 - Mar 2 with 6093 viewsfitzochris

Same old Rochdale on 12:21 - Mar 2 by SuddenLad

I think we need to distinguish between 'big clubs' and clubs which are simply higher in the table. We've beaten Walsall, Burton and Sheffield United but have failed to beat Crewe and Shrewsbury.

This 'bigger' thing needs putting to bed. They are all League One clubs, regardless of status, income, crowds and history.

Keith Hill's stated objective is to make Dale a stable and established League One club and one that deserves to be here, rather than one that people think of as an interloper.

We have definitely progressed as a club since coming back to League One and that is the primary objective. There will always be hiccoughs along the way.

Onwards and upwards.

Precisely.

In fact, Burton are the classic example. They are arguably (very arguably) a smaller club than ourselves yet are top of the table.

Taking maximum points off them recently was considered a major triumph, not because of their size but because of their standing in the league this season (well, that and our record against them).

Same old Rochdale on 12:39 - Mar 2 with 6075 viewsNigeriamark

Same old Rochdale on 12:21 - Mar 2 by SuddenLad

Onwards and upwards.

The recent Shrewsbury and Crewe games are disappointing - 1 point from 9 around the time we were beating Sheff U Burton and Walsall, the latter one away. It;s disappointing because even a win loss and draw from those games would have had us wishing touching distance of a play off spot. whereas it looks just out of reach now

Clearly this team can play but there is definitely a concentration/commitment/consistency issue, especially away from home, which seems difficult to explain.

Very odd season
Same old Rochdale on 20:33 - Mar 2 with 5699 viewsTalkingSutty

Same old Rochdale on 12:35 - Mar 2 by fitzochris

Precisely.

In fact, Burton are the classic example. They are arguably (very arguably) a smaller club than ourselves yet are top of the table.

Taking maximum points off them recently was considered a major triumph, not because of their size but because of their standing in the league this season (well, that and our record against them).

Hugh differentials in attendances exist in the Premier League but it doesn't mean Stoke,WBA, Leicester, Palace, Bournemouth etc can't flourish. They obviously can.

I think managers mentioning the stature of the opposition prior to a game shows a weakness and is a case of getting your excuses in early.I think Hill does it quite regularly, games against Wigan and Bury (God knows why) spring to mind. If you are trying to lull them into a false sense of security then fair enough, spring out of the traps,but we don't do though.

Our recent results against Leeds and Forest just show that if you want the game more, in general you can come out on top. Any team can beat us on their day, we don't need to run ourselves down before we play them.

I still think there are instances of us apologising for little old Rochdale competing in League one (Budgets) and I think the manager is one of the biggest culprits, it's old hat. We are as good as most teams in this league.

I want Hilly to get a bit nastier, ditch players who have had their chances and stop being so complimentary to the clubs he believes as being bigger and better.Follow Burtons example and don't be in awe of them.

Good on Burton, what a great example of a smaller Club showing no fear, i hope they go up.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2016 20:43]
Same old Rochdale on 07:31 - Mar 3 with 5485 viewspioneer

Excellent post!

Its the old 'eleven men against eleven' but at times we seem to want to believe the opposition have twelve because they get bigger crowds.

Frustrating aspect of this season is that we have shown time after time we can compete with the best, only to follow that within days with abject performances and poor results against the worst.
Same old Rochdale on 08:14 - Mar 3 with 5457 viewsdingdangblue

Same old Rochdale on 07:31 - Mar 3 by pioneer

Excellent post!

Its the old 'eleven men against eleven' but at times we seem to want to believe the opposition have twelve because they get bigger crowds.

Frustrating aspect of this season is that we have shown time after time we can compete with the best, only to follow that within days with abject performances and poor results against the worst.

Our 1st half v Sheffield United was probably a worse performance than at Shrewsbury - obviously beating Sheffield United was a great result but we could/should have been 0-3 at ht.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Same old Rochdale on 08:24 - Mar 3 with 5443 viewsfitzochris

Same old Rochdale on 07:31 - Mar 3 by pioneer

Excellent post!

Nobody is saying that bigger crowds give the opposition an advantage on the day (although I wouldn't completely discount that). Look at my earlier post. I categorically state that we can get too caught up in the stature of the clubs we are playing against and what we deem "big and small".

However, at the same time, I'll always maintain it is worth remembering that most teams in this division are better resourced than us.

The fact we compete at this level at all is cause for celebration and hat-tipping towards the coaching staff.

Same old Rochdale on 08:46 - Mar 3 with 5433 viewsdingdangblue

Same old Rochdale on 08:24 - Mar 3 by fitzochris

Nobody is saying that bigger crowds give the opposition an advantage on the day (although I wouldn't completely discount that). Look at my earlier post. I categorically state that we can get too caught up in the stature of the clubs we are playing against and what we deem "big and small".

However, at the same time, I'll always maintain it is worth remembering that most teams in this division are better resourced than us.

The fact we compete at this level at all is cause for celebration and hat-tipping towards the coaching staff.

Obviously everyone knows we can go to Shrewsbury and win. Maybe had we lost to Fleetwood and Sheffield United we would have done? Maybe the players turned up thinking they'd done enough in the previous 2 games to have a night off? Who knows how these things work? As a famous manager once said "Football.......bloody hell"!

Same old Rochdale on 09:21 - Mar 3 with 5415 viewsParkinsGimp

Pressure games coming up ...Wigan , bury and Biffos, . We dont do well in pressure games , but when not expected to win ..we do!
We have been lucky to catch Walsall and Sheff Utd when they have had a p"""poor day. I think Burton arent as good as their position shows. But somehow they keep winning.
This is going to be a tough month for us.
Same old Rochdale on 10:05 - Mar 3 with 5391 viewsdingdangblue

Same old Rochdale on 09:21 - Mar 3 by ParkinsGimp

Pressure games coming up ...Wigan , bury and Biffos, . We dont do well in pressure games , but when not expected to win ..we do!
We have been lucky to catch Walsall and Sheff Utd when they have had a p"""poor day. I think Burton arent as good as their position shows. But somehow they keep winning.

I'm buggered if I know what's going to happen in March? Shrewsbury looked the most straightforward fixture to me - but that's gone now. Last month the 2 Crewe games looked our likeliest 6 points but we got 1. Its like football Russian Roulette!

Same old Rochdale on 10:11 - Mar 3 with 5382 viewsSuddenLad

Same old Rochdale on 10:05 - Mar 3 by dingdangblue

I'm buggered if I know what's going to happen in March? Shrewsbury looked the most straightforward fixture to me - but that's gone now. Last month the 2 Crewe games looked our likeliest 6 points but we got 1. Its like football Russian Roulette!

By the same token, few 'pundits' expected us to beat Burton, Sheffield United, or pick up a point at Bradford ............ and so the unpredictability goes on.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Same old Rochdale on 10:15 - Mar 3 with 5372 viewsdingdangblue

Same old Rochdale on 10:11 - Mar 3 by SuddenLad

By the same token, few 'pundits' expected us to beat Burton, Sheffield United, or pick up a point at Bradford ............ and so the unpredictability goes on.

We wont beat bury or Oldham. 100% certain.

Same old Rochdale on 10:47 - Mar 3 with 5340 viewsTVOS1907

Same old Rochdale on 09:21 - Mar 3 by ParkinsGimp

Nice to see you've found your login after a couple of weeks.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Same old Rochdale on 11:03 - Mar 3 with 5318 viewsDaleiLama

Same old Rochdale on 10:47 - Mar 3 by TVOS1907

Nice to see you've found your login after a couple of weeks.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024