Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Hols 19:23 - Jun 5 with 12382 viewsstuabd

Anyone doing anything special this summer?

Despite my annual desire to get a week's solitude on Pitcairn Island, the missus and kids are dragging me off to Norwich for a week in a campsite.

We have however booked a week in Sicily so that should be good. I'm looking forward to some good food and possibly a minor eruption from Etna.

Summer Hols on 10:20 - Jun 6 with 4057 viewsrongould

Summer Hols on 23:40 - Jun 5 by CroydonCaptJack

Sorrento for me.
Anyone been?

Yes it is quite wonderful. Terrific town. Look out for the hidden orange and lemon grove right in town

Regular trains to Pompeii,Herculanium,Naples and lots of other places
Summer Hols on 11:47 - Jun 6 with 4012 viewsDaiHo0p

Off to Melbourne, Florida on Thursday. Cousin getting married on Saturday. Doing the swamps and NASA and then travelling up to DC via Savannah, Wilmington and Shenendoah. Lovely.
Summer Hols on 23:31 - Jun 6 with 3922 viewsPunteR

France, Dordogne. 2 weeks at the end of August. Euro camp.
I havnt taken the kids on a 2 week holiday so should be fun. I'm hoping things settle down a bit over there.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Summer Hols on 09:13 - Jun 7 with 3889 viewsCFW

Summer Hols on 23:40 - Jun 5 by CroydonCaptJack

Sorrento for me.
Anyone been?

Been a couple of times - you will love it really nice place.

Couple of tips - do not do any trips - it is one of the easiest places to do you own thing I have ever been. You can
get a boat to Capri - just walk down to the sea front. You can get the train directly into Pompeii and you can also do Rome the same way (bit of a long way though).

The only thing that you might want to do by a trip is the Amalfi coast road - this is a must.

Just beware of your personal items particularly your partners handbag.

Enjoy!!
Summer Hols on 09:18 - Jun 7 with 3887 viewssupahoopsa

Summer Hols on 22:55 - Jun 5 by Pablo_Hoopsta

You'll love South Africa mate! Whereabouts are you going? I only really know Cape Town and KwaZulu Natal but fantastic place with great food, drink, weather and people (just don't go to the townships and don't give taxi drivers in the Toyota hiaces any notice!).

The safari on offer is generally very good too - I've been lucky on my two I've undertaken and have thousands of photos to go through at some stage.

Enjoy, it's lekker bru!

EDIT: forgot to say I had my summer hols in April in...you guessed it, South Africa 😎
[Post edited 5 Jun 2016 22:56]

We fly to Jo'burg, then onto Kruger national park where we stay at Garonga safari camp ( http://www.rhinoafrica.com/south-africa/kruger-national-park/surrounds/garonga-s We're there for 5 days before moving onto Hazyview and staying here http://www.rissington.co.za/ for a couple of days.
Then take a flight to Zimbabwe where we are staying here for 4 days - http://www.africatravelresource.com/zambezi-sands-river-camp/.

It's going to be a trip of a lifetime - we've had a personal itinerary especially designed for us by https://www.imaginetravel.com/imagine-africa

We leave on 21st July so only 6 weeks to go!

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Summer Hols on 13:25 - Jun 7 with 3848 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Summer Hols on 09:13 - Jun 7 by CFW

Been a couple of times - you will love it really nice place.

Couple of tips - do not do any trips - it is one of the easiest places to do you own thing I have ever been. You can
get a boat to Capri - just walk down to the sea front. You can get the train directly into Pompeii and you can also do Rome the same way (bit of a long way though).

The only thing that you might want to do by a trip is the Amalfi coast road - this is a must.

Just beware of your personal items particularly your partners handbag.

Enjoy!!

Thanks mate (and rongould)

We were planning to go to Pompeii, Capri, Herculaneum and the Amalfi so that is good to hear we can do it on our own. We went to Lake Como a few years ago and did our own thing there ok. My boys are 19 and 16 (both QPR mad I am proud to say!) so at least there is a bit to keep them interested between relaxing.
Summer Hols on 13:42 - Jun 7 with 3836 viewsR_from_afar

Sicily is tremendous, enjoy! The cathedral square in Siracusa is magical at night and the Greek theatre at Segesta is every bit as good as it looks in the pictures https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segesta

If you want to get away from the crowds, head up into the Nebrodi mountains. They're only an hour from Cefalu but you'll be lucky to see anyone else up there and the scenery is superb. The necropolis at Pantalica is also very atmospheric, loads of rock cut tombs in a remote gorge.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Summer Hols on 13:54 - Jun 7 with 3827 viewscollegeranger

Just back from Sicily - 4th time, my fav place in Europe - put on a stone!! On the salad for the next 2 weeks.
Login to get fewer ads

Summer Hols on 14:14 - Jun 7 with 3810 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Summer Hols on 09:18 - Jun 7 by supahoopsa

We fly to Jo'burg, then onto Kruger national park where we stay at Garonga safari camp ( http://www.rhinoafrica.com/south-africa/kruger-national-park/surrounds/garonga-s We're there for 5 days before moving onto Hazyview and staying here http://www.rissington.co.za/ for a couple of days.
Then take a flight to Zimbabwe where we are staying here for 4 days - http://www.africatravelresource.com/zambezi-sands-river-camp/.

It's going to be a trip of a lifetime - we've had a personal itinerary especially designed for us by https://www.imaginetravel.com/imagine-africa

We leave on 21st July so only 6 weeks to go!

Thats going to be a fantastic holiday! Those game reserves look great - I dont think you can really get a "bad" one in Kruger. Make sure you have plenty of memory cards for the camera, buy a spare battery (Duracell have a like for like replacement for almost any branded battery - I got my spare for my Cannon from Duracell for about £10 vs the Cannon price which was much higher).

Needless to say have a great time, Im very jealous!!
Summer Hols on 14:16 - Jun 7 with 3810 viewsFredManRave

A month in Bexhill.

Any advice?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Summer Hols on 15:14 - Jun 7 with 3793 viewsLongsufferingR

Just back from a week in Portugal. Got a timeshare on a complex where it's impossible not to see one or two well-known footballers, although this year had to make do with George Boyd and Don Goodman. Had the misfortune to see John Terry there a couple of years ago, looking miserable as he was with his wife rather than one of his teammates' wives.

Best was when my little boy was 2 years old and he was sitting on the plane between my wife and Anton Ferdinand. When he woke up after an hour's kip, he'd pissed himself on the seat.

AF never even apologised.
Summer Hols on 08:41 - Jun 8 with 3680 viewssupahoopsa

Summer Hols on 14:14 - Jun 7 by Pablo_Hoopsta

Thats going to be a fantastic holiday! Those game reserves look great - I dont think you can really get a "bad" one in Kruger. Make sure you have plenty of memory cards for the camera, buy a spare battery (Duracell have a like for like replacement for almost any branded battery - I got my spare for my Cannon from Duracell for about £10 vs the Cannon price which was much higher).

Needless to say have a great time, Im very jealous!!

Thanks Pablo, good advice. We already checked that my boys can recharge their phones back at the camps but I will definitely get a few extra sim cards.

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Summer Hols on 10:56 - Jun 8 with 3639 viewsHantsR

Summer Hols on 08:41 - Jun 8 by supahoopsa

Thanks Pablo, good advice. We already checked that my boys can recharge their phones back at the camps but I will definitely get a few extra sim cards.

My previous business travel in Africa caused me to have two weekend stopovers, once in Victoria Falls and the other, (with a lovely female colleague) in Kruger.

I was blase about going to Kruger, having lived in Kenya and Tanzania - but I tell you , I thought it was superb! Fabulous wildlife and excellent facilities. Get up early to see Lions - we had a whole pride just outside the camp and we had heard them during the night (sound like sick cows). Don't forget bird life - good to know what you're looking at!

Victoria Falls, 'flight of angels' was one of the most dramatic events of my life; a grizzled bearded local pilot showed off his flying skills and left 4 of us all shaking at the end of the flight - photos were very difficult as the tight turns and climbs around the falls meant we invariably had noses pressed up against the windows with the excessive g forces! but of course it was memorable. Even the pilot of the Air Zimbabwe 737 did several spins around the area, showing off the falls before landing! I stayed at the famous hotel and actually sat at a table next to Ian Botham during the evening.
Summer Hols on 11:48 - Jun 8 with 3610 viewsW13R

Off to Singapore to see family who are working out there and then onto Thailand.
My first time that side of the world so really looking forward to it, any of you seasoned travellers stayed around Kamala Beach area near Phuket (any do's or don'ts?)
Summer Hols on 12:00 - Jun 8 with 3602 viewsMrSheen

Summer Hols on 13:42 - Jun 7 by R_from_afar

Sicily is tremendous, enjoy! The cathedral square in Siracusa is magical at night and the Greek theatre at Segesta is every bit as good as it looks in the pictures https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segesta

If you want to get away from the crowds, head up into the Nebrodi mountains. They're only an hour from Cefalu but you'll be lucky to see anyone else up there and the scenery is superb. The necropolis at Pantalica is also very atmospheric, loads of rock cut tombs in a remote gorge.

RFA

Tim Parks wrote a very entertaining book on Italian railways a few years ago, which includes a long slow journey around Sicily.
http://tim-parks.com/non-fiction/italian-ways-on-and-off-the-rails-from-milan-to
I've always been too afraid of being ridiculed as a train-spotter to recommend it to anyone, but it sounds just the thing for you and Boxcar Ron Gould.
Summer Hols on 12:40 - Jun 8 with 3430 viewsjohnswiltsqpr

We are off to Spain for our annual visit to the in laws. I am however slipping off to Benidorm for a 3 night stag half way through, should break it up nicely.

I've been to New York earlier in the year and we are off to Italy later in the summer for a week, looking at the lakes so any advice there would be great.

thanks.
Summer Hols on 13:10 - Jun 8 with 3413 viewsR_from_afar

Summer Hols on 12:00 - Jun 8 by MrSheen

Tim Parks wrote a very entertaining book on Italian railways a few years ago, which includes a long slow journey around Sicily.
http://tim-parks.com/non-fiction/italian-ways-on-and-off-the-rails-from-milan-to
I've always been too afraid of being ridiculed as a train-spotter to recommend it to anyone, but it sounds just the thing for you and Boxcar Ron Gould.

Hey Mr Sheen, thanks for that but...my wife actually bought me that for Christmas LOL. It's in my "To Read" pile; I have a bit of a stockpile currently.

I expect you have read Parks' excellent book about following Hellas Verona for a season? A top, top read as Redkrapp would say.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Summer Hols on 13:29 - Jun 8 with 3392 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Summer Hols on 12:40 - Jun 8 by johnswiltsqpr

We are off to Spain for our annual visit to the in laws. I am however slipping off to Benidorm for a 3 night stag half way through, should break it up nicely.

I've been to New York earlier in the year and we are off to Italy later in the summer for a week, looking at the lakes so any advice there would be great.

thanks.

The Italian Lakes are fabulous. I went to Garda a long time ago and Como more recently which I did prefer over Garda. Some fantastic scenery.
Summer Hols on 13:42 - Jun 8 with 3383 viewsrrrspricey

Summer Hols on 13:29 - Jun 8 by CroydonCaptJack

The Italian Lakes are fabulous. I went to Garda a long time ago and Como more recently which I did prefer over Garda. Some fantastic scenery.

Agree, great part of the world.

Missus and I stayed in Bardolino (just down the rd from Garda) when we got married in Verona, still one of my favourite places.
Summer Hols on 14:05 - Jun 8 with 3365 viewslave16

Summer Hols on 13:42 - Jun 8 by rrrspricey

Agree, great part of the world.

Missus and I stayed in Bardolino (just down the rd from Garda) when we got married in Verona, still one of my favourite places.

A week in donegal... possibly split up for a couple of days having to go back home and get the silage cut... I await some witty banter

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Summer Hols on 14:36 - Jun 8 with 3353 viewsgueRRilla

Finally another place to brag about my holiday. Most of my friends have stopped listening to me at this point.

Currently a week into a 3 week trip around India. Taking in Delhi, Amritsar, Srinagar, Varanasi, Agra and maybe Jaipur. Visited the Golden Temple last night and saw the Wagah Border closing ceremony yesterday. Fed some holy cows this morning and visited the site of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre of Indians by British troops afterwards.

India is insanely polluted, the roads are terrifying, the poverty is horrific and the heat at this time of year (currently 40C plus most days) is insufferable, but god its amazing. Should be on everyone's travel list.

Golden Temple:

Wagah closing ceremony:

Jallianwala Bagh massacre:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre
Summer Hols on 14:44 - Jun 8 with 3345 viewsenfieldargh

Summer Hols on 11:48 - Jun 8 by W13R

Off to Singapore to see family who are working out there and then onto Thailand.
My first time that side of the world so really looking forward to it, any of you seasoned travellers stayed around Kamala Beach area near Phuket (any do's or don'ts?)

if mosquitoes tend to find you to their taste take some Avon Skin So Soft.

Spray it on any exposed skin not forgetting toes & fingers when you go , you will not get bitten

You can buy it on Amazon

Dont buy anything from a beach hawker even if you think if you finally buy something they will leave me alone

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Summer Hols on 14:52 - Jun 8 with 3337 viewsMrSheen

Summer Hols on 14:05 - Jun 8 by lave16

A week in donegal... possibly split up for a couple of days having to go back home and get the silage cut... I await some witty banter

In the pink?

Summer Hols on 14:56 - Jun 8 with 3333 viewsMrSheen

Summer Hols on 13:10 - Jun 8 by R_from_afar

Hey Mr Sheen, thanks for that but...my wife actually bought me that for Christmas LOL. It's in my "To Read" pile; I have a bit of a stockpile currently.

I expect you have read Parks' excellent book about following Hellas Verona for a season? A top, top read as Redkrapp would say.

RFA

I've read quite a lot of his stuff over the years. If you send him a message, he gets back to you straight away. After the Hellas book, I asked him if he had ever followed QPR, seeing that he lived in Park Royal for a while. He said he had some Manchester connections that made him a United fan as a boy, and that he had been to Spurs when his father had been a vicar up there, but not Rangers. Clive will be disappointed.
Summer Hols on 15:00 - Jun 8 with 3327 viewslave16

Summer Hols on 14:52 - Jun 8 by MrSheen

In the pink?

have'nt decided yet although it will probably a case of whatever color is available at the time

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024