Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Hols 19:23 - Jun 5 with 12837 viewsstuabd

Anyone doing anything special this summer?

Despite my annual desire to get a week's solitude on Pitcairn Island, the missus and kids are dragging me off to Norwich for a week in a campsite.

We have however booked a week in Sicily so that should be good. I'm looking forward to some good food and possibly a minor eruption from Etna.

Summer Hols on 15:12 - Jun 8 with 2382 viewsdaveB

Just back from a week iN New York which was fantastic, thanks for the tips on here by the way, top of the rock was worth every penny.

Doing a fortnight in Spain at the end of the summer, probably cram in a few days in Barcelona and the rest in salou
Summer Hols on 00:22 - Jun 9 with 2289 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Summer Hols on 15:12 - Jun 8 by daveB

Just back from a week iN New York which was fantastic, thanks for the tips on here by the way, top of the rock was worth every penny.

Doing a fortnight in Spain at the end of the summer, probably cram in a few days in Barcelona and the rest in salou

New York is great isn't it mate.
Summer Hols on 11:18 - Jun 9 with 2237 viewshovehoop

Not sure if my contribution counts as a holiday or torture.

My son is 21 and I'm 50 in August. So I accepted his suggestion that we both race in the Alpe D'Huez triathlon in July. It's 11 years since I've done anything similar. The race course looks brutal. It's a lake swim over 1.2km, which should be ok. Though the bike leg includes riding 8.4 miles up Alpe D'Huez and its 21 hairpin turns. Our nearest equivalent is riding 9 times up Ditchling Beacon here in Sussex. We did 4 reps on Saturday morning so still some way to go.

The run takes place on top of Alpe D'Huez where the air is supposedly thinner so it will be interesting to see how that goes!

The idea was daunting at first though would love for us to compete in the same race (I expect to be beaten by him easily) and I'm enjoying the training and being off the sauce!
Summer Hols on 13:57 - Jun 9 with 2194 viewsdaveB

Summer Hols on 00:22 - Jun 9 by CroydonCaptJack

brilliant, was my first visit and can't believe I've never been before, did so much and still so much more I missed
Summer Hols on 01:38 - Jun 10 with 2135 viewsSonofNorfolt

After a week on the Montenegrin coast, of which I recommend, with my family, this morning marks the start of hopefully, seven separate journeys to Gaul. Rangers have a significant representation following England abroad, I look forward to celebrating with random 'R's over the next month or so.
Summer Hols on 05:41 - Jun 10 with 2124 viewsFearless

Summer Hols on 01:38 - Jun 10 by SonofNorfolt

After a week on the Montenegrin coast, of which I recommend, with my family, this morning marks the start of hopefully, seven separate journeys to Gaul. Rangers have a significant representation following England abroad, I look forward to celebrating with random 'R's over the next month or so.

Loved my brief visit to Montenegro a few years back.

Off to Cuba in 5 weeks, then Stockholm instead of the opening weekends fixture
Summer Hols on 07:15 - Jun 10 with 2115 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Summer Hols on 13:57 - Jun 9 by daveB

brilliant, was my first visit and can't believe I've never been before, did so much and still so much more I missed

Yes, I went with my wife when we were forty and ended up going back a couple of years ago and taking my two sons.

There is a lovely bloke out there who is a QPR fan and he drives the zombini machine for the Ice Hockey at Madison Square Garden. He kindly showed us round which was fascinating.
Summer Hols on 19:09 - Jun 10 with 2053 viewsR_from_afar

Summer Hols on 11:18 - Jun 9 by hovehoop

Not sure if my contribution counts as a holiday or torture.

My son is 21 and I'm 50 in August. So I accepted his suggestion that we both race in the Alpe D'Huez triathlon in July. It's 11 years since I've done anything similar. The race course looks brutal. It's a lake swim over 1.2km, which should be ok. Though the bike leg includes riding 8.4 miles up Alpe D'Huez and its 21 hairpin turns. Our nearest equivalent is riding 9 times up Ditchling Beacon here in Sussex. We did 4 reps on Saturday morning so still some way to go.

The run takes place on top of Alpe D'Huez where the air is supposedly thinner so it will be interesting to see how that goes!

The idea was daunting at first though would love for us to compete in the same race (I expect to be beaten by him easily) and I'm enjoying the training and being off the sauce!

Good luck with the triathlon, rooting for you. The cycling part may not be as bad as you think; I haven't done a technical comparison of Alpe d'Huez and D Beacon but from my experience of cycling French passes (inc. Col d'Allos and Mont Ventoux), the average gradients are usually less steep than many of the UK's climbs, although obviously, it's a much longer slog. I've cycled D Beacon and it is very steep, 1 in 7 I think.

Try to get ensure you have very low gears, take it steadily (best to climb in the saddle to save energy) and break it down into small chunks/targets.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

Summer Hols on 16:45 - Jun 12 with 1995 viewshovehoop

Summer Hols on 19:09 - Jun 10 by R_from_afar

Good luck with the triathlon, rooting for you. The cycling part may not be as bad as you think; I haven't done a technical comparison of Alpe d'Huez and D Beacon but from my experience of cycling French passes (inc. Col d'Allos and Mont Ventoux), the average gradients are usually less steep than many of the UK's climbs, although obviously, it's a much longer slog. I've cycled D Beacon and it is very steep, 1 in 7 I think.

Try to get ensure you have very low gears, take it steadily (best to climb in the saddle to save energy) and break it down into small chunks/targets.

RFA

Thanks for this RFA. I started prepping earlier in the year. My 17 year old road bike has an old pro standard gear setup. The chainring is 53/39 and the cassette 11-23. So my lowest gear was 39/23 with a 9 speed cassette. Today, you'd struggle to find road bikes with such severe gearing. So the first few training sessions on Sussex hills were a slog. I looked at updating the gears though it wasn't worthwhile and culminated in treating myself to a new bike. The new one has a compact chainset, which I've used up Ditchling Beacon though keeping the two lowest gears in reserve. The lowest gear at 34/32 is ridiculous. I'm sure it will spin up any gradient though it doesn't get very far! The Beacon is a series of ramps with less steep parts between. It seems this was done in they days of horse and carts and to give the horses some relief. My new cassette is 11-32 and I'm finding the biggest change with the bike is getting used to that. There are some big jumps of 3 or 4 teeth between the lower gears, which I'm not used to. The old gears had much smaller progressions and the step up or down from one gear to another was more subtle. I'll stick with the cassette for the Alps though think I'll change it when I get back as not sure I'll need all the options for Sussex. My son has a semi-compact setup on his bike and I quite like that.

I always climb in the saddle and the only time I stand when climbing is if I fancy or need a stretch. It's a sure fire way to waste energy!
Summer Hols on 12:11 - Jun 15 with 1922 viewsted_hendrix

Landed in Greece a couple of hours ago, the sea looks gorgeous the food I know is excellent and if you've been to same hotel three years on the trot like me and the missus then you know the hotel is gonna be good too.
It is.

Αντίο

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Summer Hols on 13:09 - Jun 15 with 1900 viewsR_from_afar

Summer Hols on 12:40 - Jun 8 by johnswiltsqpr

We are off to Spain for our annual visit to the in laws. I am however slipping off to Benidorm for a 3 night stag half way through, should break it up nicely.

I've been to New York earlier in the year and we are off to Italy later in the summer for a week, looking at the lakes so any advice there would be great.

thanks.

This hotel was excellent and it's in a quiet but lovely village right on the lake:
http://www.gardalake.com/place/hotel-gardenia-al-lago-gargnano/

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Summer Hols on 13:32 - Jun 15 with 1885 viewsDevonrrr

Just returned from a fabulous week in Croatia, never been before but highly recommend it, beautiful place. Off to a wedding in Mansfield this weekend. I fear my summer may have peaked too early.
Summer Hols on 15:54 - Jun 15 with 1857 viewsellersliehoop

2 weeks in a Sardinian villa!
Summer Hols on 16:42 - Jun 15 with 1835 viewsqprphil

Off on a cruise around the Med on Saturday. All inclusive, with a drinks package. Visiting ports in Portugal, Spain, Gibraltar. I have been doing these with the Mrs for the last 5 years, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity Cruises, never thought I would enjoy it, its fantastic.
Summer Hols on 19:15 - Jun 15 with 1803 viewsBklynRanger

Summer Hols on 00:22 - Jun 9 by CroydonCaptJack

No it isn't , it's shit. Ok it isn't but I've been telling myself that anyway because I'll be spending the summer emigrating from it.

Going to Granada first for 4 weeks - wife gets to relax while I work/eat tapas. Then a week traveling up the east and along the north coasts to our friends in La Coruna. Then we go to Londinium to begin the job hunting process. If we can't both get sorted out with decent jobs we'll be back here by November with our tails between our legs, but you've got to try these things (init)?
Summer Hols on 19:26 - Jun 15 with 1795 viewsFredManRave

Summer Hols on 19:15 - Jun 15 by BklynRanger

No it isn't , it's shit. Ok it isn't but I've been telling myself that anyway because I'll be spending the summer emigrating from it.

Going to Granada first for 4 weeks - wife gets to relax while I work/eat tapas. Then a week traveling up the east and along the north coasts to our friends in La Coruna. Then we go to Londinium to begin the job hunting process. If we can't both get sorted out with decent jobs we'll be back here by November with our tails between our legs, but you've got to try these things (init)?

Genuine question Mr B as to what industry you and your wife work in and what you've been able to do via the interweb, if anything, to improve your chances of finding "decent jobs".

Answers on a post...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Summer Hols on 19:51 - Jun 15 with 1779 viewsBklynRanger

Summer Hols on 19:26 - Jun 15 by FredManRave

Genuine question Mr B as to what industry you and your wife work in and what you've been able to do via the interweb, if anything, to improve your chances of finding "decent jobs".

Answers on a post...

PM-ed you Fred
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024