Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, long shot, can we go up next season? 23:51 - Mar 8 with 12012 viewsBrightonhoop

Can we? With this squad?

Do we want to?

Would love to see Ollie do so. Not sure we could achieve four or five seasons there, and not sure we should aspire to.

Foot ball is too weird for words these days. If we did, for one season, and gave the grimness of all grim games to the scum one more time that would do me. If we got relegated again no problem. Just to stick it up the scum again win or lose. Just to see the melts crumble again.

Over to you.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 18:06 - Mar 9 with 2563 viewsFredManRave

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 10:40 - Mar 9 by PunteR

I think we can push for the playoff. Anything can happen in this league.
Personally not to fussed about travelling around Europe with QPR but would like a good cup run at some point. Becoming top London club again would be on my list of things I'd like to see before I die.

I think after Tuesdays results we're now better than Arsenal.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 18:18]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 18:25 - Mar 9 with 2508 viewsmacclesfieldman

No-one really expected our team under NW to get promoted let alone win the title with summer signings like Hill Derry Mackie Orr ect.
i doubt many people were tipping Sheff Wed or Huddersfield and I bet no-one tipped Leeds after the opening day.
So, experts can't predict this league, the key imho is getting of to a good start to build momentum.
if we get off to a good start in the first 10 games then i expect us to challenge for promotion.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 18:32 - Mar 9 with 2486 viewsTacticalR

Who needs experts?

Air hostess clique

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 19:36 - Mar 9 with 2418 viewsShotKneesHoop

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:41 - Mar 9 by Dorse

What is this 'cup run' of which you speak?

What is a cup run?

We stopped doing them in the eighties to concentrate on getting relegated.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 20:15 - Mar 9 with 2383 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

Yes.
No.
Yes.

Pointless expecting to stay in the prem until new training facilities and new ground. Best we can hope for is a bounce between the two divisions without debt for now

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 06:57 - Mar 10 with 2263 viewsCanadaRanger

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 15:14 - Mar 9 by kensalriser

Looing at the PL table really underlines how badly we screwed up those two promotions - it's divided neatly into PL stalwarts 1-7 and short term tenants 8-20.

Of the latter Stoke are probably the longest serving (ten years), an amazing achievement considering how long they were out of it. A couple are not long out of the third tier and most of the rest have been in the Champ in the last five years.

Yes. Statistically, for a top 4 Prem finish you need a team valued at over 250 million pounds. For stability in the Prem, you need a team valued at over 100 million pounds. Teams with total player values under 100 million pounds tend to struggle. Teams with players worth 100 million pounds on paper, but with players who think they are too good to play / scrap for points for a relegation team squad even more so...
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 09:46 - Mar 10 with 2186 viewsPinnerPaul

Want to? Of course - all this nonsense we have every year 'I'm happy with mid table finish" - which of course means losing lots of matches but every loss on here treated like the end of the world!

Do i think we will?

No I don't think we will, just don't have the quality I don't think and we need a 20 goal a season striker, which I'm not sure we have?
[Post edited 10 Mar 2017 10:13]
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 10:03 - Mar 10 with 2161 viewsBerkoRanger

Interesting potential thought process for the owners. Investing in a costly 20 a season striker (10-12 million?) could produce a very successful team with other player's values (esp the younger players) rising significantly to offset the outlay. Then if we were to be promoted.....
My view - I think the owners will invest and go for it. I believe the summer transfer window and next season are going to be very exciting.
Login to get fewer ads

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 10:09 - Mar 10 with 2150 viewsBrianMcCarthy

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 10:03 - Mar 10 by BerkoRanger

Interesting potential thought process for the owners. Investing in a costly 20 a season striker (10-12 million?) could produce a very successful team with other player's values (esp the younger players) rising significantly to offset the outlay. Then if we were to be promoted.....
My view - I think the owners will invest and go for it. I believe the summer transfer window and next season are going to be very exciting.

Or depressing...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 14:36 - Mar 11 with 2062 viewsDylanP

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:13 - Mar 9 by baz_qpr

I think its pretty rare for a side to get promoted without a premiership quality striker, and I think we are still short there, as we are at centre half.

Get those two positions right, and god forbid we can keep Robinson fit then we have a very tasty looking side

Disagree about the striker options.

You have to go back to the early 1980s to find a QPR team that had as many good striking options. Any one of Washington, Smith, and Sylla would be likely to score 15 with a full season of this form. Plus we have Ngbakoto, Wszolek, Lualua, Mackie, Freeman, and Manning all contributing goals and feeding them chances.

It is true that with so many options we are unlikely to have a 20 goal striker next year, but I could see us having three strikers with double digits.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 18:28 - Mar 11 with 1990 viewsDorse

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:44 - Mar 9 by LongsufferingR

It's the new half time entertainment for next season. Like an egg and spoon race but with cups of hot tea instead carried round the pole, round Jude, and then chucked over the away fans in the lower School End. Extra points depending on the degree of burns inflicted.

Now that's entertainment! Better than the proposed 'sack and spoon' race where competitors rest their testicles in warm ladles and have to run a hurdles course without them spilling over.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

So, long shot, can we go up next season? (n/t) on 18:43 - Mar 11 with 1964 viewskensalriser

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 18:28 - Mar 11 by Dorse

Now that's entertainment! Better than the proposed 'sack and spoon' race where competitors rest their testicles in warm ladles and have to run a hurdles course without them spilling over.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 18:44 - Mar 11 with 1957 viewsLongsufferingR

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 18:28 - Mar 11 by Dorse

I read that as "warm ladies".

Would certainly increase season ticket sales.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 18:46 - Mar 11 with 1951 viewskensalriser

Surprised to see the total myth of the necessity of the 20 goals a season striker raise its head. Nice, sure, but in no way essential for promotion.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2017 2:09]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 19:08 - Mar 11 with 1911 viewsDorse

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 18:46 - Mar 11 by kensalriser

Surprised to see the total myth of the necessity of the 20 goals a season striker raise its head. Nice, sure, but in no way essential for promotion.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2017 2:09]

Even when we went up under Warnock, we didn't have anyone break 20 goals (though Taraabt went close). Austin's goal tally was freakishly good for us (45 in 82 appearances) but even he only hit 20 for us once.

I've always thought that the whole 20-goal thing is more of an individual achievement than any indication of whether a side will go up. For me, it is the number of goals that come from midfield that make the difference. Most strikers hit around one in three (roughly 15 a season) or one in four. If there are one or two midfielders that hit one in five (roughly 9 across a Champ season) or one in six (roughly 7), that is what makes the difference. Over the past few years our midfield has contributed bugger all. However, Manning, Freeman, Lua-Lua can all hit the target, as can Ngbakoto and Wszolek.

You never know...

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 22:05 - Mar 11 with 1790 viewseccles

Yes.
I've just read through this thread and everyone is predicting top ten or play-offs. I really think we can go up automatic next season. We have the best goalkeeper in the division. An improving defence with a good balance between experience and youth. Manning and freeman in midfield, two proper footballers. If we can continue the improvement of sylla and washington or possibly add to the front line we've got as much chance as anyone. Also the spirit within the squad is obvious, everyone together.
So, yes, course we can.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 00:15 - Mar 12 with 1721 viewsTrom

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 10:40 - Mar 9 by PunteR

I think we can push for the playoff. Anything can happen in this league.
Personally not to fussed about travelling around Europe with QPR but would like a good cup run at some point. Becoming top London club again would be on my list of things I'd like to see before I die.

Couldn't agree more - pretty much no one predicted the promotion season under Warnock before the season started. We'd just come off a poor season with the potential for relegation a definite possibility. Warnock comes in, we get that away win at Palace and then the next season...boom.

Similar pattern with Holloway. There are similarities and differences.

1. Both managers related to the supporters and had them on side.
2. Passionate, eccentric, experienced managers
3. Both have been promoted from this league in the past
4. Players clearly respond to both managers
5. Both cleverly play the media. Warnock had his routine which he takes to every club. Olly plays on the west country eccentric when clearly he's as sharp as a tack.

On the other hand

1. Warnock created a team by bringing veterans he knew would respond and bring the rest of the squad with them. Olly is creating a very young team. I'm liking the age of this team as it has room to develop and all so resale values of players. That used to be the model at QPR.

2. Olly has managed us twice. Meaning we bringing a bit of baggage with Olly based on his previous tenure. He certainly seems to have picked up more attacking nous. I know we'e been direct at times but never one dimensional which wasn't the case last time around. There were a lot of games I knew we'd loose as soon as I heard the team sheet read out. Anything with Matty Rose in midfield had the alarm bells ringing. Interestingly he's played Hall there but to much better effect. Early days but so far so good.

3. Olly has picked us up from rock bottom as supporters. I've never been so apathetic to the Hoops as I was early season. The football was dire home game after home game. I bought my 7 year old his first season ticket and until the last few months he's been bored stupid. I couldn't say much as it was awful attritional stuff. For the first time in 20+ years I thought of not renewing. Crap atmosphere, no fun and getting worse each season. Typical hoops they start to show some life so I know I'm going to renew again as will all the face's we've known for years around us. Everyone starting to feel up beat so fair play Holloway.

4. Bringing youth teamers through. Last time really was Holloway. This time he's clearly throwing young players in, but cleverly. Different formations means that he doesn't have to play Manning in every week. Furlong being give game time. Youth players will never make the step up unless a manager gives them proper game time and Olly is.

So who knows, but as long as I enjoy it then I'm in.

Club crest rebrand helps. Just feels more like QPR.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 00:47 - Mar 12 with 1684 views2Thomas2Bowles

I do wonder/worry if we are looking to get in to the play off's or auto next season if we may not use the young ones that have been loaned out/starting to come on and go for buying in more experienced players.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 06:48 - Mar 12 with 1599 viewswood_hoop

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 00:47 - Mar 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I do wonder/worry if we are looking to get in to the play off's or auto next season if we may not use the young ones that have been loaned out/starting to come on and go for buying in more experienced players.

Been catching up a bit with this thread and interesting that IH was getting some very diverse points made about his managing skills not that long ago.

So good to see he has managed to turn the corner it seems with using methods that so much of the support has craved, he's a much wiser footballing man than when with us before, why would he put on hold a formula that is begining to show fruition, the odd older experienced head can only add to his manginging tricks, but be taken on as an insurance policy, injury etc, but there having to earn a place as one of our less experienced youngsters.

He has brought in from the cold quite a number of players who's careers were stagnating, there begining to show the trust he had in their abilities, why would he want to put on hold something he is building and very much in the nuturing stage.

This division does not need to buy in a herd of experienced pros to scale the heights, a little yes, I agree dosen't go amiss, but IH in my eyes has it spot on at this time, the players now stepping up to the plate owe IH big time, lets hope they want to continue paying their debt, by showing those that had no faith in their abilities just how wrong they were.

Next season if IH continues putting the building blocks in place as of now, using the experience he has obviously gained over the years, why not aim for the highest target, next season could be quite a surprise, if we carry on advancing as well as we have in the relatively short space of time that IH has had so far.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 10:04 - Mar 12 with 1433 viewsCFW

Interesting thread with some very good opinions.

I put my hands up and admit I was not impressed with the Ollie appointment and the results in the first 8 games only added fuel to the fire. For me the transfer window has changed our season - just bringing in a few players along with bringing back Furlong and the addition of Manning has made a big difference. I am pleased that Ollie and his staff have appeared to have improved players which I again admit I did not think he was able to do.

There is no doubt whatsoever the spirit within the team has changed dramatically and the way the team is set up depending on our opposition has also, for me, been impressive. The most pleasing thing for me during the past 6 weeks has been the consistency which is exactly what I have been banging on about all season. For us to have a chance of promotion/play offs next year we need to be much more consistent. This means not just playing well for one half or part of a half it means the whole game. It also means not just playing well and getting good results against the better sides it also means beating the lower teams.

I think we are all very happy with the change in our home form which until recently (even under Ollie) has been frankly awful. Personally I was delighted with keeping a clean sheet on Saturday, we have the best keeper in the division and this is an area we really do have to improve.

On paper we have the backbone of a good squad (how many times has this been said) and this summer we have no need to ship out shed loads of players and bring in yet another new squad. Of course there will be a few who will be moved on Henry, Caulker and other fringe players but if we can keep 95% of the existing squad then I will be very happy.

So what else do we require? In my opinion we need cover for both full backs, our wide players play so much better when they have a decent full back behind them. Furlong is a good player and is a real good prospect but think we need a more seasoned player as back up and someone he can learn from, the same on the left.
Ned never is/was a full back and his form has improved since he has been playing in his best position.

I really hope we can continue our current good form till the end of the season so we end on a high rather than the normal doom and gloom. I want a good performance at home against Rotherham to show we have moved away from the old days of getting beat at home by sides below us in the league. Once we are safe lets not fanny around with the team lets keep going right till the last game of the season away to Norwich.

One thing is quite clear we have all enjoyed the last few weeks and all look forward to the next game against whoever it might be knowing we have a good chance of getting a result. Credit to Ollie, the players, the back room staff and owners. Final mention to all of you who attend every game home and away.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:27 - Mar 12 with 1316 viewsBrightonhoop

Beginning to believe we could do it.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:43 - Mar 12 with 1293 viewsenfieldargh

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 10:04 - Mar 12 by CFW

Interesting thread with some very good opinions.

I put my hands up and admit I was not impressed with the Ollie appointment and the results in the first 8 games only added fuel to the fire. For me the transfer window has changed our season - just bringing in a few players along with bringing back Furlong and the addition of Manning has made a big difference. I am pleased that Ollie and his staff have appeared to have improved players which I again admit I did not think he was able to do.

There is no doubt whatsoever the spirit within the team has changed dramatically and the way the team is set up depending on our opposition has also, for me, been impressive. The most pleasing thing for me during the past 6 weeks has been the consistency which is exactly what I have been banging on about all season. For us to have a chance of promotion/play offs next year we need to be much more consistent. This means not just playing well for one half or part of a half it means the whole game. It also means not just playing well and getting good results against the better sides it also means beating the lower teams.

I think we are all very happy with the change in our home form which until recently (even under Ollie) has been frankly awful. Personally I was delighted with keeping a clean sheet on Saturday, we have the best keeper in the division and this is an area we really do have to improve.

On paper we have the backbone of a good squad (how many times has this been said) and this summer we have no need to ship out shed loads of players and bring in yet another new squad. Of course there will be a few who will be moved on Henry, Caulker and other fringe players but if we can keep 95% of the existing squad then I will be very happy.

So what else do we require? In my opinion we need cover for both full backs, our wide players play so much better when they have a decent full back behind them. Furlong is a good player and is a real good prospect but think we need a more seasoned player as back up and someone he can learn from, the same on the left.
Ned never is/was a full back and his form has improved since he has been playing in his best position.

I really hope we can continue our current good form till the end of the season so we end on a high rather than the normal doom and gloom. I want a good performance at home against Rotherham to show we have moved away from the old days of getting beat at home by sides below us in the league. Once we are safe lets not fanny around with the team lets keep going right till the last game of the season away to Norwich.

One thing is quite clear we have all enjoyed the last few weeks and all look forward to the next game against whoever it might be knowing we have a good chance of getting a result. Credit to Ollie, the players, the back room staff and owners. Final mention to all of you who attend every game home and away.

I'm really impressed by the squad we have.

Many past seasons we have had an over loaded midfield and currently its the same however these players are all young and hungry. I'm not sure of their ages but I reckon Doughty is probably the oldest? I really can't see the need to add to the midfield; Hall Manning, Luongo, Freeman, Cousins, Doughty, Goss are 5 central midfielders with youth, drive and ability. Could we do with a Wilkins or a Derry, not sure as I think these are all gems that with good coaching will continue to mature.

The the great sides I've watched over 50 years of loving QPR have all had a couple of veterans mixed in with youthful and skillful players .

At the back I think we could do with a Ryan Nelson type player although Ned may have gained the experience needed to become the wise old head in defence. His recent performances have been very good and yes he's had the odd ricket here and there but so to did Nelson, McLintock, Webb have their wobbly moments.

Furlong can only improve and Bidwell looks like becoming a steady eddie. Lynch does have his blonde moments but Perch's rush of blood to the head and Robinson's continued absence makes the defence a bit short on bodies before we get to the Hamiliens etc

Attacking midfield players Pavel is exceptional, never just slinging a cross over, he waits, and waits and is able to turn defenders in knots. Freeman can also play wide and possibly Lua Lua if he stays could in a winning team flourish.

IH loves N'bakato(Sp) and we are steadily beginning to see a decent player evolve. Possibly Shodipo will come back but I reckon he'll be loaned out again next season.

Up top Matt Smith has been a perfect pivot to our attack, winning Ariel battles (or Persil) and Connor will only grow in confidence. Let him have near misses now rather than next season.

Leaves Sylla, Mackie, of recognised first team players.

I would love to see Ravel Morrison fulfill his potential and be an ace up our sleeve so to speak but I feel he needs a full pre-season to fully get up to speed.

Really really happy so far.

Another important addition as been Curtis Flemming, since his arrival the defence looks much more organised.

Premonition next season, they will give it a bloody good go

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:47 - Mar 12 with 1282 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think we can do well.

But let's not expect it and get on player's backs when we hit a wobble or if it doesn't happen at all.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:08 - Mar 12 with 1256 viewsSnipper

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 00:15 - Mar 12 by Trom

Couldn't agree more - pretty much no one predicted the promotion season under Warnock before the season started. We'd just come off a poor season with the potential for relegation a definite possibility. Warnock comes in, we get that away win at Palace and then the next season...boom.

Similar pattern with Holloway. There are similarities and differences.

1. Both managers related to the supporters and had them on side.
2. Passionate, eccentric, experienced managers
3. Both have been promoted from this league in the past
4. Players clearly respond to both managers
5. Both cleverly play the media. Warnock had his routine which he takes to every club. Olly plays on the west country eccentric when clearly he's as sharp as a tack.

On the other hand

1. Warnock created a team by bringing veterans he knew would respond and bring the rest of the squad with them. Olly is creating a very young team. I'm liking the age of this team as it has room to develop and all so resale values of players. That used to be the model at QPR.

2. Olly has managed us twice. Meaning we bringing a bit of baggage with Olly based on his previous tenure. He certainly seems to have picked up more attacking nous. I know we'e been direct at times but never one dimensional which wasn't the case last time around. There were a lot of games I knew we'd loose as soon as I heard the team sheet read out. Anything with Matty Rose in midfield had the alarm bells ringing. Interestingly he's played Hall there but to much better effect. Early days but so far so good.

3. Olly has picked us up from rock bottom as supporters. I've never been so apathetic to the Hoops as I was early season. The football was dire home game after home game. I bought my 7 year old his first season ticket and until the last few months he's been bored stupid. I couldn't say much as it was awful attritional stuff. For the first time in 20+ years I thought of not renewing. Crap atmosphere, no fun and getting worse each season. Typical hoops they start to show some life so I know I'm going to renew again as will all the face's we've known for years around us. Everyone starting to feel up beat so fair play Holloway.

4. Bringing youth teamers through. Last time really was Holloway. This time he's clearly throwing young players in, but cleverly. Different formations means that he doesn't have to play Manning in every week. Furlong being give game time. Youth players will never make the step up unless a manager gives them proper game time and Olly is.

So who knows, but as long as I enjoy it then I'm in.

Club crest rebrand helps. Just feels more like QPR.

Well said mate. Couldn't agree more.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:28 - Mar 12 with 1223 viewstimcocking

No, i doubt it.

Although with the Championship (if indeed it's still called that) how it is, anything's possible. Especially with the playoffs. You have to think finishing top six is a possibility. Especially as so many of the other teams are constantly struggling as well. The best and worst teams in the division can all beat us convincingly one game, get whupped by us the next. We've as much an outside chance as anybody else really. Right, i've talked myself into it again now.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024